The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 April 2019, 11:18 PM   #1
Tumtum365
"TRF" Member

How is this 16753 Root Beer Jubilee and what to look at irl?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and looking to purchase my first Rolex! I've really appreciated all the wisdom I've gathered by just reading, and hope it's OK to ask my first question!

I keep swinging from vintage to new, and this Clint Eastwood caught my eye, and is close to where I live: the Root Beer with the Wrist Icons seller. I'm not sure how to make this easier to look at for you guys, as this is my first post and I'm not allowed to post a link yet.

_How does it look to you from the posted pictures?
_Is this a reasonable price without papers (€8900)?
_Is it a watch that I could daily at all, after perhaps a good service?
_I'll be going over there and the seller will open the back for me, but what else to look at, that might not be clear from the pictures?
He says the watch was bought serviced by him, but didn't specify what that means.

If all of that reasonably checks out, I'd ask to go together to one of the AD's around here, so they assess before purchase. Is that a reasonable request from a seller, and from an AD?

Thanks in advance for the answers, as it feels quite daunting to perhaps start the collection with a vintage!
Tumtum365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 05:24 PM   #2
Tumtum365
"TRF" Member

Icon17 Now with pictures!

Sorry guys, I'm totally being a noob: didn't realize I could not post a link, but could post pictures!

Hoping this helps to asses the watch better! I have a few more pictures too if need be, and hoping to snap one of the momevent later today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18r.jpg (108.9 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 13r.jpg (90.3 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg 10r.jpg (133.9 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg 6r.jpg (84.5 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 7r.jpg (54.4 KB, 219 views)
Old 23 April 2019, 06:15 PM   #3
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
lookin good and with nice thick lugs. i'm not sure what good it will do to bring it to an AD as they traditionally don't know much about vintage stuff. if the watch pictured is indeed what you are buying then it's genuine. as long as the movement looks nice and clean with no nasty corrosion or stains then you should be fine. if the seller is capable of opening it then he must have tools and could be a dealer? if so simply get him to write you a receipt guaranteeing authenticity and you're all set. price wise i got no idea what's the going rate in your region so that's up to you but if you like it then grab it as it's a nice example.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 10:29 PM   #4
Tumtum365
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
lookin good and with nice thick lugs. i'm not sure what good it will do to bring it to an AD as they traditionally don't know much about vintage stuff. if the watch pictured is indeed what you are buying then it's genuine. as long as the movement looks nice and clean with no nasty corrosion or stains then you should be fine. if the seller is capable of opening it then he must have tools and could be a dealer? if so simply get him to write you a receipt guaranteeing authenticity and you're all set. price wise i got no idea what's the going rate in your region so that's up to you but if you like it then grab it as it's a nice example.
Really appreciate the quick answer! Makes me feel more secure going in :) I guess going to an AD I was hoping they could make sure all the pieces match up: bracelet with case with movement. I'm just being extremely careful, as it's my first one.

Now, I've been going down the GMT rat-hole on the forum, and it seems that if the dial only says 'Swiss' it means it's been replaced, but that most of these would have had that done?
Old 23 April 2019, 10:40 PM   #5
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Watch looks fine to me however the bracelet is not original to the watch and was probably taken from a date just. The end links should be 450 and the last link of the band stamped with the number 50.
I would confirm the scuffs in the pictures are on the crystal and not the dial. If you look closely the dial has some deterioration around the edges which is very common for these dials.

As for servicing if the seller serviced the watch I would ask if he will warranty the service and provide documentation for the service.

Your AD is probably worthless to you in the process of buying the watch.

The watch would be great to wear daily as it has that vintage look with quick set. Good luck!

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 11:36 PM   #6
Tumtum365
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
Watch looks fine to me however the bracelet is not original to the watch and was probably taken from a date just. The end links should be 450 and the last link of the band stamped with the number 50.
I would confirm the scuffs in the pictures are on the crystal and not the dial. If you look closely the dial has some deterioration around the edges which is very common for these dials.

As for servicing if the seller serviced the watch I would ask if he will warranty the service and provide documentation for the service.

Your AD is probably worthless to you in the process of buying the watch.

The watch would be great to wear daily as it has that vintage look with quick set. Good luck!

Thanks for that quite interesting find! Is the bracelet exactly the same for the rest? Would you reckon the fact it's not the original bracelet is already reflected in the price? Others around here on Chrono24 are quite a bit more expensive I've seen, but come with papers. I'd ]hate to take a big hit if I ever have to sell it on, which I hope I won't, considering it's my first.

I guess I'm being influenced by the quest for originality I see happening a lot on the forum!
Old 24 April 2019, 08:02 AM   #7
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumtum365 View Post
Thanks for that quite interesting find! Is the bracelet exactly the same for the rest? Would you reckon the fact it's not the original bracelet is already reflected in the price? Others around here on Chrono24 are quite a bit more expensive I've seen, but come with papers. I'd ]hate to take a big hit if I ever have to sell it on, which I hope I won't, considering it's my first.

I guess I'm being influenced by the quest for originality I see happening a lot on the forum!
I am not sure the going rate where you are so tough to comment on price. Visit a couple vintage dealers in your area and you will probably get a better idea of the market prices. You can also talk to the seller and mention the issues, maybe he is not aware maybe it’s priced in. Websites like WatchRecon or EBay can also help you determine the market.

With all that said it’s a nice watch as long as you know the issues to make an educated purchase. To me the transitional GMT’s are great to wear daily, I wore a 16750 everyday for years before make other vintage purchases.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 03:53 AM   #8
Tumtum365
"TRF" Member

Wanted to thank everybody for helping me through this process! The watch checked out nicely, but I'd prefer one with matching band and a bit less damage to the dial (tried to capture it in one of the pictures). It felt like it was decently priced, as others around me are 10k or well over for B&P. On the hunt goes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190423_174749r.jpg (163.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 20190423_174140r.jpg (90.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 20190423_174404r.jpg (70.8 KB, 117 views)
Old 28 April 2019, 12:57 PM   #9
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
The band is wrong. The earlier post is right. The correct band is an expensive part.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 01:14 PM   #10
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

OK, you are getting lots of advice, but here is my opinion for what it's worth.

I wouldn't make a decision about a watch like this on the basis of the bracelet; that's silly. You can use that bracelet if you choose; it works fine. Or if you decide to get the "correct" one, you can sell this one and the net difference in value would be small.

The dial is a more significant issue, but I can't tell whether the spots in your photos are on the dial or crystal. You need to decide whether the watch is attractive to you ... dial, hands, case, bezel, etc. That's the most important thing.

I have seen these selling on eBay recently for about $8.5k-$9k usd.