The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 April 2019, 04:27 PM   #1
Pay M3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Aquaracer
Major Dealer Issue

I've tried to avoid talking about this for a little while but I want to hear what others have to say. In a recent conversation with an AD, I was explaining what watch I was looking for and they stated that it's simply not possible to get. After going back and forth for a bit she asked if there was anything that my wife was interested in buying, I told her possibly, she then said to let her know what model and she would then call the owner to see if he was willing to make the deal happen. I let this person know today that my wife was not interested but I would be willing to buy a Tudor and she then called me and said it will have to be a PM piece and that it could not be SS.

This is the same dealer that offered to pull a BLRO out of the safe about 7 months ago if I were to buy a PP of their choosing. This stuff is getting ridiculous. I also recently got confirmation from a grey that they have AD's that source them watches without issue. While the grey dealers source is not in the same area as the AD I'm dealing with it seems like buying from an AD as a regular customer is never going to happen.

With this, my new strategy is to start trying to find that one AD in the middle of nowhere that has yet to start dealing with a grey. An alternative is to just buy a Speedmaster for now and hope that it can hold me over until the market goes back to normal. A large part of me wonders who is feeding the GD's, to me the person that is willing to spend 10k on a watch (most are not on these forums) has no idea that grey's even exist or want to deal with them. If I walk into Louis Vuitton to buy my wife a bag and they don't have it, believe me I'm calling other AD's to find it assuming if I go online I'm about to get ripped off. The members here are only willing to shop from grey's because they know who they can trust, the average consumer I am willing to be does not.

What if Rolex decided to take a page from Apple and start opening their own boutiques and yank the contracts from the current AD's? I actually think they are in a strong enough position to do it. At that point they would have ultimate control over the entire process.
Pay M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 04:33 PM   #2
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

sucks.
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 04:37 PM   #3
Pay M3
"TRF" Member

delete
Old 23 April 2019, 04:37 PM   #4
miamiman
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex 1675
Good luck man, but the reality is all these ADs are wanting a piece of the pie and they don't want to sell these watches at msrp prices . They know the watches are getting nearly double and they're selling them to the greys in droves .
miamiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 04:46 PM   #5
Pay M3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Good luck man, but the reality is all these ADs are wanting a piece of the pie and they don't want to sell these watches at msrp prices . They know the watches are getting nearly double and they're selling them to the greys in droves .
I wonder if walking in with 15% tip in cash would help the cause. Hell, I'd feel better doing that.
Old 23 April 2019, 05:01 PM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’m all for a boutique model. I much prefer dealing with AP over Patek or Rolex for this very reason. ADs are worse than greys these days.
Old 23 April 2019, 05:13 PM   #7
pkincy
"TRF" Member

The only answer is to not participate. That means either don't buy any watches or buy from another manufacturer that is better able to meet their supply requirements. Remember it is only a watch. And lots of nice watches are made by lots of fine companies.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 05:20 PM   #8
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
By selling you a hot model for MRSP the AD is effectively giving you several thousands for free.

Why should he do that ?

Obviously any AD will sell the hot models only to return customers with a spending history.
Trusted sellers are perhaps the number one customers of the AD and they will get all the sought after models because they also buy the slow movers. Makes sense.

Just buy a PM model and you are eligible for a SS. You have to pay to play.
Old 23 April 2019, 05:25 PM   #9
Pay M3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
By selling you a hot model for MRSP the AD is effectively giving you several thousands for free.

Why should he do that ?

Obviously any AD will sell the hot models only to return customers with a spending history.
Trusted sellers are perhaps the number one customers of the AD and they will get all the sought after models because they also buy the slow movers. Makes sense.

This seems like a terrible strategy. By only selling to your current customers on the books what are are you doing to increase total customer base? Sure it's great now but when attrition hits due to age or lack of want, all those opportunities you had to build a solid pipeline will be sorely missed. The watches will sell regardless, the big spenders will spend regardless. I'd be looking to open the doors and build new relationships with younger clients for the future.
Old 23 April 2019, 05:26 PM   #10
Coopdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Why should he do that ?

What a stupid comment. It would cost less to just buy from the gray... why would you “pay to play” when you can just go buy the watch.
Coopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 05:33 PM   #11
Pay M3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdog View Post
What a stupid comment. It would cost less to just buy from the gray... why would you “pay to play” when you can just go buy the watch.
Lol!
Old 23 April 2019, 05:37 PM   #12
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
I would certainly NOT buy a PM that I didn’t want just so that I could get a SS.
Old 23 April 2019, 05:49 PM   #13
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
It sucks.

I decided to say good bye to waiting lists and be out of the ridiculous ss model shortage “crisis”.
So I got myself a pre-owned DD that I wanted later on in life.

If Rolex thought that I would buy 2-3 DJs waiting for a GMT.....they were wrong.
Old 23 April 2019, 05:53 PM   #14
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Bad day at work today ?

I agree though, if I really wanted it I would go grey as well, but still you would have to pay more
Old 23 April 2019, 05:56 PM   #15
Pay M3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
It sucks.

I decided to say good bye to waiting lists and be out of the ridiculous ss model shortage “crisis”.
So I got myself a pre-owned DD that I wanted later on in life.

If Rolex thought that I would buy 2-3 DJs waiting for a GMT.....they were wrong.
That’s how I feel as well, surely this is not in line with their planned business model. No way I see the executives celebrating what is going on right now. On second thought I just thought about something, isn’t this what caused Apple to turn into a juggernaut? You couldn’t find an iPhone in stores to save your life, even while Steve was alive it was Tim’s inventory control that received a lot of credit for their success.
Old 23 April 2019, 06:01 PM   #16
Coopdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bad day at work today ?

I agree though, if I really wanted it I would go grey as well, but still you would have to pay more
Yeah, sorry. Too blunt sometimes. I just hope people don’t start giving in to these ridiculous “deals” ADs are offering. If we actually vote with our dollars they will start restocking. If we play the game they will keep making PM margins while we can’t find a watch...
Old 23 April 2019, 06:03 PM   #17
GradyPhilpott

Watch: Tudor North Flag
That's just unacceptable behavior on the part of the AD.

It might be their right to do business that way, but there's no way I'd go along with it, even if the proposed deal involved a BIC pen.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 06:07 PM   #18
Pay M3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, sorry. Too blunt sometimes. I just hope people don’t start giving in to these ridiculous “deals” ADs are offering. If we actually vote with our dollars they will start restocking. If we play the game they will keep making PM margins while we can’t find a watch...
Man you seem like you’d be fun to have a conversation with, second time you made me laugh this evening. I’m afraid this might be part of their plan. I know everyone keeps saying they are going to produce more watches this year but I’m thinking this is leading up to a fairly significant price hike.
Old 23 April 2019, 06:08 PM   #19
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay M3 View Post
That’s how I feel as well, surely this is not in line with their planned business model. No way I see the executives celebrating what is going on right now. On second thought I just thought about something, isn’t this what caused Apple to turn into a juggernaut? You couldn’t find an iPhone in stores to save your life, even while Steve was alive it was Tim’s inventory control that received a lot of credit for their success.
This approach is beneficial to Rolex. I am sure they are cashing in.

They started with Daytona....and they extended it to the other ss models. It has been proved to work and increase the sales. They might loose a few customers who don’t play the game but on a large scale the DJs are sold in large quantities.
I went to the AD today.....they had every single version of DJ size and dial available. At least 50 watches but not one ss sport model!
So, go figure!

Money talks.....and bs walks!
Old 23 April 2019, 06:27 PM   #20
tng11
"TRF" Member

Fleetlord said it well:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...8&postcount=23

The current model is working very well for Rolex. For every one of us throwing up our hands in frustration on TRF, there are plenty of others willing to play the game and enter the chase. The exclusivity factor is working out very well - DJs, DDs, PM are all going out the door at full price. People are buying what they see just because it's available and they have FOMO. And the current state of the market makes many purchases basically risk-free, or highly profitable. Giving you a Daytona or BLRO is like giving you $10,000 for free.

I'm not condoning shady behaviour by an AD though. I would never buy a watch I didn't want just to get the one I wanted. It stinks that the AD told you to do so, but IMO, at least it was better than leaving you flapping in the wind on a "list" when the slip of paper with your name on it went in to garbage 5 seconds after you left.

Thankfully there are still fair ADs out there, but I think for anyone trying to get in with an AD these days, it's really difficult. When they're fielding dozens of calls every day for the same few models, and all the requests from clients who have been loyal and dealing with them for years, it gets tiring and they only have so many pieces to allocate.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 06:39 PM   #21
Coopdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Man you seem like you’d be fun to have a conversation with, second time you made me laugh this evening. I’m afraid this might be part of their plan. I know everyone keeps saying they are going to produce more watches this year but I’m thinking this is leading up to a fairly significant price hike.
Hey thanks man. I’ve been into watches for a long time and never seen anything like the current Rolex market. When there is such a gap between supply and demand they really do need to increase prices.otherwise these same issues will continue.
Old 23 April 2019, 07:12 PM   #22
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Name and shame the AD, lets start calling them out.

Only a small community here but it’s a start. It may not be illegal but it’s totally unethical.

Also next time an AD suggests this ask for it in writing, I’m guessing the backtracking would be amusing to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 07:34 PM   #23
trelane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Series 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
Name and shame the AD, lets start calling them out.

Only a small community here but it’s a start. It may not be illegal but it’s totally unethical.

Also next time an AD suggests this ask for it in writing, I’m guessing the backtracking would be amusing to say the least.

Pretty sure that’s what yelp or google reviews are for, also it might be against the rules under shopping service

Movado Museum Sport
trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 07:47 PM   #24
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
This is the new normal. Grey dealers are the ADs best customers. Rolex clearly does not monitor AD behavior.
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 07:58 PM   #25
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
It is only a watch.
You like the watch and you like the price buy it from AD or trusted gray. I love to get a BLRO.but the max i’m Willing to pay is $11k. It will be great if it comes from my AD, or wait for gray to go down in price. It will take years but what is the rush, it is just a watch.
I’m planning to buy a simple Patek Thai year, no waiting list for this model. It is an opportunity to combine with a BLRO or other hot model. Will see how it goes
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 08:07 PM   #26
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
My AD is having trouble getting a hold of the hot models like everyone else.

Here’s the interesting part, they are selling more watches now than they ever have before. Seems like whatever is going on is surely working... for both Rolex and the AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 08:11 PM   #27
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I'd buy from a trusted grey seller rather than buy an expensive watch I didn't want from a dealer, just to get the model I wanted. If the grey market premium was stupid in my view (we all draw the line in a different place), such as BLRO, LV and SS Sky Blue, I would pass. There's dreams and wish fulfilment. Then there's being gratuitously ripped off.

In the scenario in the OP, the grey marked appears to be operating with more honour and integrity than the AD. I believe (although I could be completely off beam) that ADs hold some hot models for their big spenders and will offer a SS model with a big PM purchase. And of course, they sell to grey dealers also. The model of bundling hot models with expensive stuff appears to occasionally be offered to prospective SS hunters in reverse. It might just work sometimes. So why not?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 08:15 PM   #28
avalvo
"TRF" Member

Find a nice Omega dealer and be happy. The watches are stellar and readily available.

Don't sweat it. In the end, it's just a watch. I have all kinds of brands, and I never pay above retail. Rolex makes a great watch, but so do alot of companies. Broaden your horizons and you will likely be happier in the end.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
avalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 08:28 PM   #29
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I've tried to avoid talking about this for a little while
Name and shame.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 08:44 PM   #30
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7horton View Post
My AD is having trouble getting a hold of the hot models like everyone else.

Here’s the interesting part, they are selling more watches now than they ever have before. Seems like whatever is going on is surely working... for both Rolex and the AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is what my AD tells me. Of course they would like to have more popular models to sell, but selling what they do have with (I'm told) fewer and smaller discounts on Rolex watches is a good place to be.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote