The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 June 2009, 04:43 AM   #61
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nica64 View Post
Wow not a good thing to happen on a GMT IIc , lately I been thinking of getting one
Don't let it worry you. It's a drop in the ocean, don't let it cloud your judgment. Every single model in the Rolex range has had a failure at some point or another, they're not perfect, and they shouldn't be seen as such. To expect anything to be 100% perfect 100% of the time is unreasonable.
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 04:48 AM   #62
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
My GMT IIC just spontaneously combusted!

I was walking to the shower, and it simply exploded.

I would post pictures but there's nothing left.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 05:35 AM   #63
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs430 View Post
I am trying to get these photos uploaded but it keeps telling that my upload failed. I am trying to bring them over from Iphoto. Any ideas?
drag them out of iPhoto onto your desktop, then try to upload again.
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 06:14 AM   #64
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

If you can, email the photos to me (sheldon@minus4plus6.com) and I can post them here on your behalf. Try emailing them directly from your iPhone to me rather than wrestling with iPhoto..

-Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs430 View Post
I am trying to get these photos uploaded but it keeps telling that my upload failed. I am trying to bring them over from Iphoto. Any ideas?
Old 1 June 2009, 06:31 AM   #65
sixerson
"TRF" Member

WHAHAHAH
I'm happy to have the "old" GMT when I hear all that crazy stories about the GMTIIC.
sixerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 09:09 AM   #66
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Photos? Satisfy my curiosity please!
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 09:14 AM   #67
LocoNBroko
Banned

Watch: GMTIIcSUBUBFDSDDS
God I wish one of these people would post the pics so that we can all finally admit that it IS POSSIBLE that a ceramic bezel can crack or fall out.
Its not like Rolex QC has been without issue lately.
LocoNBroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 09:43 AM   #68
2th Dr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerson View Post
WHAHAHAH
I'm happy to have the "old" GMT when I hear all that crazy stories about the GMTIIC.
I'm afraid they may indeed be crazy stories, because no one has yet to show proof.
Old 1 June 2009, 09:45 AM   #69
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
yup, until a real photo is shown, I'll have to assume that it's, urrrr.....not real.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 09:57 AM   #70
exxondus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nica64 View Post
Wow not a good thing to happen on a GMT IIc , lately I been thinking of getting one
I don knw man. Even higher end brands like PP & VC suffers from QC problems fr time to time. I personally feel that u are gg to miss more by not getting the gmtiic due to a few failures (esp things posted in forums with no concrete proof)

If thats the case, hw bt those few hundreds of good reviews on the gmtiic compared to 1 or 10 bad reviews?
exxondus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 10:02 AM   #71
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Icon3 Okay, Here are the Images

g340 sent me the images and here are the thumbnails. Larger versions of the images are posted at http://www.minus4plus6.com/photos/photo34.htm#ceramic

Here's the watch head and the ceramic bezel that fell out. Good thing g340 found it before it broke.

Here is a close up of the watch head and the bezel sans insert

Here is the insert

... and the insert underside...

I look forward to reading about the resolution after this watch visits the AD and the RSC. No doubt a local watchmaker can fix this insert.

Here a schematic of the assembly for reference. The .pdf of the schematic posted in the US patent document is posted at http://www.minus4plus6.com/pdf/GMTII-SUBBezel.pdf

-Sheldon
Old 1 June 2009, 10:06 AM   #72
The Toddfather
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the pics Sheldon, I was beginning to wonder. Let's hope the AD takes care of gs430.
The Toddfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 10:17 AM   #73
cmr
"TRF" Member

yes, thanks for the pics. as far as i know these are the first we have seen here. i am quite sure they will fix it.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 10:22 AM   #74
LocoNBroko
Banned

Watch: GMTIIcSUBUBFDSDDS
WOW, look at that... no damage to the insert, no damage to the bezel.
Looks like it just fell out... Just like the OP said.
LocoNBroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 10:26 AM   #75
cmr
"TRF" Member

i am very interested in what their explanation is for this. what ever holds the insert in failed because mine won't budge and i have knocked it around allot.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 10:33 AM   #76
2th Dr
Banned

Hmmm, is it just me, or does it seem like the exposed part of the bezel does not match any part on the diagram?
Am I missing something here?
Old 1 June 2009, 11:07 AM   #77
scottjal
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th DR View Post
Hmmm, is it just me, or does it seem like the exposed part of the bezel does not match any part on the diagram?
Am I missing something here?
Not just you, very interesting.
Old 1 June 2009, 11:14 AM   #78
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

I think the diagram has been overly simplified. The difference is that the washer separating the insert from the bezel ring is solid in the diagram, but in reality has holes. I have seen other images of a disassembled ceramic bezel and it looked the same as the one g340's. Too bad I cannot locate those images..

-Sheldon
Old 1 June 2009, 11:18 AM   #79
scottjal
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I wouldn't doubt those are just very early engineering drawings submitted to just plain get the patent and maybe simplified to show the functional pieces.

First I have seen under the bezel on one of these.
Old 1 June 2009, 12:04 PM   #80
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one I'm wearin
Thanks Sheldon & G340....

Like I said...bummer!? Am also curious to hear the final explanation/resolution of this one when it's back from the AD/RSC....

Weird, is it the angle/lighting...the crown in the pics looks different than mine...I cannot see the fine ridge or triplock crown/logo....

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his planets in chime,
Marketh the going of Time." --Edward Fitzgerald
ayecarumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 12:15 PM   #81
exxondus
"TRF" Member

thanks for sharing, thats the first i have ever seen.

RSC needs to get that fixed and give you an explaination.

btw, how old is your GMTIIc? the bracelet looks really battered.

cheers!
Old 1 June 2009, 12:28 PM   #82
gs430
"TRF" Member

The pictures are not very good, the watch is GREAT condition. I purchased it in November and I only wear it 3 or 4 times a week. If someone gives me some advice I'll try and take some better photos.
gs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 12:49 PM   #83
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
I agree that the photo's don't seem to match the official patent diagram, however the exact design could change a little and still be fine for patenting, from the diagram the cicular spring ring with the three "buttons" on it obviously sits in a groove midway though the thickness of the main rotating part of the bezel with the buttons sitting in the three recesses......that could now all be slightly below the ring we see with the 9 eliptical slots cut in it.....so it could pass here as believable...as has already been stated, the lighting could be strange on this one and maybe it has created anomalies where there really aren't any.....this said, I thought the font of the "Rolex" was a bit odd...specifically the 'L' and the 'E'......no matter how I look at mine the font looks different, actually on mine it doesn't look 'raised' enough to actually catch much light and show differing thickness on the font depending on the lighting conditions.....just my observations......

At this point, G430 please accept my most humble apologies for being a semi-disbeliever if this is proved to be the first genuine bezel fault reported, there have already been some others of course but yours is the first with photographic evidence....we are all interested and all hope it gets fixed up for you soon and please report what happens at the AD....
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 12:57 PM   #84
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one I'm wearin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
I agree that the photo's don't seem to match the official patent diagram, however the exact design could change a little and still be fine for patenting, from the diagram the cicular spring ring with the three "buttons" on it obviously sits in a groove midway though the thickness of the main rotating part of the bezel with the buttons sitting in the three recesses......that could now all be slightly below the ring we see with the 9 eliptical slots cut in it.....so it could pass here as believable...as has already been stated, the lighting could be strange on this one and maybe it has created anomalies where there really aren't any.....this said, I thought the font of the "Rolex" was a bit odd...specifically the 'L' and the 'E'......no matter how I look at mine the font looks different, actually on mine it doesn't look 'raised' enough to actually catch much light and show differing thickness on the font depending on the lighting conditions.....just my observations......

At this point, G430 please accept my most humble apologies for being a semi-disbeliever if this is proved to be the first genuine bezel fault reported, there have already been some others of course but yours is the first with photographic evidence....we are all interested and all hope it gets fixed up for you soon and please report what happens at the AD....
Great points Bill, I also thought the crown looked a bit weird...but could just be the light/angle etc......I really appreciate your amends to G430 too! You're a gentleman and scholar WIS/TRF'er!

Thanks to G430 for the pics....please keep us apprised!

--Paul

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his planets in chime,
Marketh the going of Time." --Edward Fitzgerald
ayecarumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 01:05 PM   #85
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Wow, thanks amazing
Old 1 June 2009, 01:13 PM   #86
exxondus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago View Post

wow, never really paid much attention to those. i only looked at the rehaut and the R seems spot on at the 45min marker, which is correct
Old 1 June 2009, 01:25 PM   #87
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
Yeah I noticed that too.....that's a very 'plus' point for authentication of course, I also thought the AR coating appeared to be applied below the cyclops, another very good sign....some negative things I didn't mention were that the serrations in the bezel at 12 o'clock don't look so crisp and that there seems to be a lot of light bouncing off the right hand side of the triangular 12 o'clock marker as if the lume is raised, both of these points could easily be due to the lighting.....once again, sincere apologies to G430 for being a doubting Thomas.....
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 11:45 PM   #88
gs430
"TRF" Member

I am taking the watch to the Rolex service center in New York tomorrow (ironically, I am heading to NYC on business). I am willing to take a few more photos if needed. I know a few people wanted to see a picture of the crown.
gs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2009, 12:38 AM   #89
2th Dr
Banned

I hope it gets taken care of right away! Good luck!
Old 2 June 2009, 12:50 AM   #90
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
Wow that's a really interesting topic.

Sorry to hear that Gs430 and thanks for sharing.

Please keep us posted with Rolex answer !