The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 May 2019, 03:35 AM   #1
Amg7861
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Rhodium Dial 37
PAM 754 thoughts?

Hi all,
Always loved Panerai, but just haven’t got round to bagging one yet. I am an expat, and have the option of getting a Pam 754 radiomir for around £2,700 ($3,325)which excludes VAT at 20%.
It pretty much ticks all the boxes- in-house, 3day PR, my preferred Radiomir case shape, brand new box n papers.
What are your thoughts guys? Any owners here? What’s the build like and thoughts on the movement?
Regards
Al
IMG_8645.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amg7861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:22 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Are you okay with the snap-on/drive case back? If so, I think Rads are best when they are base, so I would look at the 753 over the 754
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:40 AM   #3
nick c
Banned

I agree with Cru ^^
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 04:06 AM   #4
Amg7861
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Rhodium Dial 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Are you okay with the snap-on/drive case back? If so, I think Rads are best when they are base, so I would look at the 753 over the 754

Ahh, thanks for the heads up. Did not realise it was a snap back- kinda cheap huh, but I suppose that’s why they can offer them at a sort of entry price point? I believe the 753 is also a snap back

Amg7861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 05:53 AM   #5
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg7861 View Post
I believe the 753 is also a snap back

Yes, that is (sadly) correct.
Old 24 May 2019, 09:03 AM   #6
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Last year I was trying to decide between the 753 and 754 , went with the 753 , but just because I like base models better and also liked the strap of the 53 better than the 54 .

They’re nice watches for the $ , if you like Radiomirs then go for it , personally I sold it and if I ever get another Pam in the future it’ll be a base Luminor(had one before the Radiomir).

epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:07 AM   #7
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
An old pic.

epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 01:40 PM   #8
Wiseguy724
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 723
3,325 is a very good price, that's nearly 28% off retail, in the US at least. Don't let the snap back deter you, it has 100m water resistance, equal to or better then many other sports watches outside real divers.
Wiseguy724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 10:44 PM   #9
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseguy724 View Post
3,325 is a very good price, that's nearly 28% off retail, in the US at least. Don't let the snap back deter you, it has 100m water resistance, equal to or better then many other sports watches outside real divers.
Snap backs are the worst! I’m going to agree to disagree. Get a screwback on a multi thousand dollar watch.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 10:49 PM   #10
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

The snap back was the last slap in the face panerai gave to the original supporters to kill them off forever. I still love rads but this is a Brooklyn Bridge too far.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 08:50 AM   #11
Wiseguy724
"TRF" Member

If you enjoy it than go for it, especially at that price. The only argument about a snap back is water resistance. However, it has the same 100m resistance as a 42mm luminor 1950 with a screw down back, you really loose nothing by going with a PAM 753/754.

Again remember you are getting the in house 72 hour movement too, a lot of the older radiomir's with the screw down case back that people adore also run the OP-x caliber, which can be bought on ebay for less than $300 USD.

What is a bigger deal breaker: not having a threaded caseback that makes no actual difference in water resistance, or paying multiple thousands for a radiomir with the same movement as a hamilton khaki field? I'd take the former. Do what makes you happy, you should be the first and last authority when it comes to a watch decision.
Old 30 May 2019, 09:13 AM   #12
Wiseguy724
"TRF" Member

If you enjoy it than go for it, especially at that price. The only argument about a snap back is water resistance. However, it has the same 100m resistance as a 42mm luminor 1950 with a screw down back, you really loose nothing by going with a PAM 753/754.

Again remember you are getting the in house 72 hour movement too, a lot of the older radiomir's with the screw down case back that people adore also run the OP-x caliber, which can be bought on ebay for less than $300 USD.

What is a bigger deal breaker: not having a threaded caseback that makes no actual difference in water resistance, or paying multiple thousands for a radiomir with the same movement as a hamilton khaki field? I'd take the former. Do what makes you happy, you should be the first and last authority when it comes to a watch decision.
Old 30 May 2019, 02:36 PM   #13
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I was also looking at 754 and both 753 and 754 shows back screw, steel. Is Panerai website referring to something else? I am confused here.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 06:14 AM   #14
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
The snap back was the last slap in the face panerai gave to the original supporters to kill them off forever. I still love rads but this is a Brooklyn Bridge too far.
I quite agree.

The best of Panerai are in the past, if the rumour of all flat sapphires from now on is true, then that's another reason not to buy any new editions. They're just going too cheap.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 02:54 PM   #15
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris72 View Post
I was also looking at 754 and both 753 and 754 shows back screw, steel. Is Panerai website referring to something else? I am confused here.

Those screws are for the wire lugs.
Old 3 January 2020, 12:34 AM   #16
sanchezbryan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseguy724 View Post

I always think the same thing when I hear folks upset over press down casebacks. The physics of water intrusion are no different as the water pressure pushes from the outside in which in theory makes the seal tighter the deeper you are lol. People who obsess over screw down backs seem like they forget that the crystal is pressed in to every watch no matter the case back. Anywho just my insight and I was happy to see someone share the same view. :)

sanchezbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 12:36 AM   #17
sanchezbryan
"TRF" Member

Panerai switched to snap backs on many models not as a cost saver but also to have a more aesthetically pleasing back as now all the text and logo on the back line up perfectly. Remember that the water resistance is not varied from other models so there is no sacrifice in quality by this change.

sanchezbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 08:47 AM   #18
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezbryan View Post
I always think the same thing when I hear folks upset over press down casebacks. The physics of water intrusion are no different as the water pressure pushes from the outside in which in theory makes the seal tighter the deeper you are lol. People who obsess over screw down backs seem like they forget that the crystal is pressed in to every watch no matter the case back. Anywho just my insight and I was happy to see someone share the same view. :)

It makes all the sense in the world what you are saying. Thanks your comment helped me to make my decision. I can see how these entry level watches with in-house movements can upset a lot of people in the Panerai community.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote