The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 May 2019, 01:20 AM   #1
skhan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next one
First Rolex: Struck out at my first attempt to buy

I had set up a face-to-face with a very reputable seller in my local area to buy a pre-owned. Super nice guy and it was an absolute pleasure to meet him and talk to him about watches, family, living in the same area, etc.

I have been saving for sometime to buy my first Rolex and really want a 116200 Datejust, oyster band, and romans. This one he had for sale was just what I wanted. It was beautiful. His advertised price was $4700 (z-serial, about 2007) and my offer was my maximum of $4400 cash. The lowest he would go is $4600. There was no deal and I was saddened to leave empty handed with a bare wrist.

Not knowing anything about buying a pre-owned Rolex, I was hoping to get some advice. I suppose I should either save a few hundred more or move on and wait for something else to come along. I know many of you will likely say save up thousands more and buy new from the AD, but I just don't know that I'm able to do that, due to my own financial limitations. Maybe just come back and meet him at his price would be the option here.
skhan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 01:28 AM   #2
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
If he won't budge it will be because he is into the watch for what you’re offering, or maybe slightly more. It could be he would lose money. The margins on DJs are slim at best, especially the less sought after pieces. I am pleased you want Roman, in my view its the way to go with the DJ. That being said, here is mine to wet your appetite

♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 01:29 AM   #3
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

First Rolex: Struck out at my first attempt to buy

I’d say either save up the extra to meet him at his price or continue your hunt for a nice used one at your price. There’s a lot to be said for dealing with someone both reputable and local, takes away a lot of risk of a scam! That’s definitely worth a few hundred in my book.

Contact JVMartin here on the forum. He’s 100% trustworthy and might be able to square you away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 02:24 AM   #4
Mrpupsi
"TRF" Member

To be honest, he had it advertised at a certain price.
You asked him to to take time out of his day to meet you and then lowballed him.
I feel sorry for him and not you.
If you were going to negotiate, you should of done it before meeting and saved both of you some time.
Mrpupsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 02:59 AM   #5
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpupsi View Post
You asked him to to take time out of his day to meet you and then lowballed him.
If you were going to negotiate, you should of done it before meeting and saved both of you some time.

In this case I agree. You should’ve had this worked out in advance. You wasted his time.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 02:59 AM   #6
liminc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
honestly, this....
liminc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:01 AM   #7
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
I tend to agree here. If you're transacting face-to-face you should be agreeing on price before committing to the meet up. Once you meet the only reason price should ever change is if you notice something about the watch that you truly couldn't discern from photos and feel compelled it's enough reason to re-neg on the agreed upon price. Showing up with a hard ceiling in mind that's below his asking price is a setup for disappointment.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:03 AM   #8
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
100% with the sole caveat being a “depending on condition upon viewing” agreement.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:30 AM   #9
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Quote:
Absolutely agree here. You always negotiate the price before meeting up. How would you feel if you were the seller....
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:40 AM   #10
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
I tend to agree here. If you're transacting face-to-face you should be agreeing on price before committing to the meet up. Once you meet the only reason price should ever change is if you notice something about the watch that you truly couldn't discern from photos and feel compelled it's enough reason to re-neg on the agreed upon price. Showing up with a hard ceiling in mind that's below his asking price is a setup for disappointment.
x2

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:46 AM   #11
PatronMTL
"TRF" Member

You likely would have gotten that 200$ discount had you asked before meet up. Personally when I meet up to sell stuff , if buyer tries to negotiate at meet up and not prior for no reason other than trying to get a better price, I’ll walk away and lose the sale out of principle, even for items I have tons of and would still make profit at lower price . And Especially on high dollar items
Old 26 May 2019, 03:47 AM   #12
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

If the watch was as described I think the right thing to do is to call him back and pay his price.

Doing the right thing never turns out wrong in my book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:50 AM   #13
PatronMTL
"TRF" Member

That said, if this is absolutely the watch you want and are happy with the deal you should shell out the extra 200, seller was nice to meet you almost in the middle of your offer and his asking.

If the 200$ is that much of a big deal, maybe a 4500$ watch isn’t the best way to spend your money at the moment
Old 26 May 2019, 03:53 AM   #14
skhan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next one
Thanks— Never been in this situation before so did not know that it was a good idea to work out all the dollars before meeting.
skhan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:10 AM   #15
steve k
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116515LN OF
So you wanted to haggle on the spot after the meeting was setup and he was generous enough to drop the price $100. Which is something he did not have to do, but what I don't understand is you gave up the deal for a measly $200 on a $4700 watch? Seriously? Come on now..
steve k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:46 AM   #16
Eatapp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114300 Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatronMTL View Post
You likely would have gotten that 200$ discount had you asked before meet up. Personally when I meet up to sell stuff , if buyer tries to negotiate at meet up and not prior for no reason other than trying to get a better price, I’ll walk away and lose the sale out of principle, even for items I have tons of and would still make profit at lower price . And Especially on high dollar items
This makes the most sense to me, but live and learn, it won’t be your last shot at that watch or working with that dealer. It sounds like it was a very cordial exchange. Good luck hunting!
Eatapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 05:47 AM   #17
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatronMTL View Post
I agree with this.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 02:56 PM   #18
jporitzky
"TRF" Member

Definitely work out price beforehand. It was only 200 more than you wanted to spend and he dropped the price. If that’s the watch you wanted you should contact him and buy it.
jporitzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:20 PM   #19
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Call the seller, apologize for your low ball offer, and kindly offer to pay his discounted price. You said it yourself, "...just what I wanted. It was beautiful."
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:58 PM   #20
usyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day-Date
Quote:
Agree!

On the other hand, even $200 can't buy the happiness of life, if you really like to enjoy the DJ.

It's not only investment but men's toy. IMO.

Sent from my ALP-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 26 May 2019, 04:18 PM   #21
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve k View Post
So you wanted to haggle on the spot after the meeting was setup and he was generous enough to drop the price $100. Which is something he did not have to do, but what I don't understand is you gave up the deal for a measly $200 on a $4700 watch? Seriously? Come on now..
+1

OP is not ready to buy a Rolex. He should be buying a Omega...

I do like the fact OP knows what he wants....that's a men in the da house!

Rolex is a Rolex...not your Omega, Honda, Toyota, Tumi, Tiffany, etc...those brands are bargain brands...go with them.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 05:27 PM   #22
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
When I buy a watch face to face I make sure the watch condition is described perfectly (with pictures), all accessoiries like correct box, extra links, booklets, bezel protector, etc. are stated by the seller and then agree to a price before the meet-up. During the meeting I will inspect the watch and its belongings and then make the payment.
Just be professional, prepare yourself to walk away when the deal is not as described.
Batmannr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 05:48 PM   #23
SLSteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am sorry sir, but I completely disagree. It is an asking price. Buyer can always try and negotiate. Lowballing him would be offering 3 grand. This is a fair and decent offer. You would be a bad buyer if you just shell out all the money immediately. You are costing yourself tons of money in your lifetime. It’s not 200 now, it’s all the 200’s for the rest of your life. That adds up quickly.

And wasting sellers time? Come on. It is his job to listen to punters and try to work out deals. It is his paying job, and definitely a two-way street. If he doesn’t want to talk to strangers, don’t work in a shop. In your view, everyone coming in, talking a bit with him but not buying are wasting his time as well? This is very narrowminded and shortsighted. You never know what might come up in the future. Maybe discount now, give the buyer a good feeling, earn his trust, and in the future earn more money because when you say a price the buyer is inclined to believe you more. Either way just like buyer doesn’t have to buy seller doesn’t have to sell. This is negotiating.

I can go on and on, but OP, I’d like to advise you that you can call him and tell him you can meet him in the middle at 4.500. It is a negotiating game for him as well. Do not forget this.
SLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 06:27 PM   #24
Lifeisarolliecoaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: This space
Quote:
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo View Post
Call the seller, apologize for your low ball offer, and kindly offer to pay his discounted price. You said it yourself, "...just what I wanted. It was beautiful."
I would second this. Also paying the little extra is peace of mind, rather than worrying about the authenticity-I’m sure you will consider him for a further Rolex
Lifeisarolliecoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 06:29 PM   #25
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
This thread for $200.

Wow!

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 06:31 PM   #26
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Save and buy a DJ41/smooth/jubilee new from an AD.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 07:56 PM   #27
RolexJoe
"TRF" Member

That’s some Craigslist level negotiating. Show up with far less cash than advertised. “Oh I only have $XXX”

Nope. Get lost. Thanks for wasting my time.
RolexJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 07:59 PM   #28
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I don't like negotiating before the buyer has seen the item because the price you agree pre-viewing only becomes the starting point for negotiation later.

The buyer should come to view at the screen price, then any negotiation can begin...

That's how I deal..

Also, questions like 'what's the lowest you will take?' or 'what is your last price?' only pisses the seller off.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 08:32 PM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhan007 View Post
Thanks— Never been in this situation before so did not know that it was a good idea to work out all the dollars before meeting.
Fair enough, I suppose if you buy cars you might feel you can haggle over the item and maybe use it to point out flaws and get a better price, but with watches usually close up pics can show you everything you need so all the negotiating should be done online first. Then if the watch is not as described you can negotiate further.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 08:56 PM   #30
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
this thread for $200.

Wow!

+1
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote