The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 March 2019, 03:23 AM   #1
eamonn345
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 blue dial
Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 3rd Gen v 2nd Gen

Hi guys

Is it me or do others also think that VC have scored an own goal with the 3rd generation Overseas Chronograph?

Given the high retail price of the 3rd Gen VC OS Chronograph and difficulties in obtaining meaningful discounts (at least in the UK) from ADs, why would anyone buy the 3rd Gen when the 2nd Gen can be bought at a significantly cheaper price in the pre-owned market? This also doesn’t take into account the resale value if one purchases the chronograph 3rd generation at retail price!

In any event, I’d be keen to hear of any owners of the 3rd gen VC OS Chronograph and hear of their experiences of this watch.

Although I would love to have the reverse panda version of the 3rd gen VC OS Chronograph, I can’t convince myself to go ahead when the 2nd gen Chrono black dial can be bought £16,000 (around 12,000 USD) cheaper than the retail price of the 3rd Gen! Surely I’m not the only one that thinks this way?

It seems the resale value, high retail costs and the date placement on the 3rd gen will make it difficult for Vacheron to convince potential buyers like me to purchase one. This is also within the context of the UK market which appears not to permit any decent discounts to be obtained from UK ADs.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eamonn345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 03:30 AM   #2
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I was in a similar situation situation and looked at the 2nd gen GMT for $10k, the newest ref like you said is almost double that. I like the 3rd gen more for the strap change and display back, but in a few years it’ll probably drop to the same price as it’s predecessor, given VC’s track record.
In the end I made the easy decision and bought something else.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 03:32 AM   #3
eamonn345
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
I was in a similar situation situation and looked at the 2nd gen GMT for $10k, the newest ref like you said is almost double that. I like the 3rd gen more for the strap change and display back, but in a few years it’ll probably drop to the same price as it’s predecessor, given VC’s track record.

In the end I made the easy decision and bought something else.

What did you buy out of interest? I’m also thinking of looking elsewhere.

Old 4 March 2019, 11:58 AM   #4
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonn345 View Post
What did you buy out of interest? I’m also thinking of looking elsewhere.

In the last 12 months, a Patek 5205, Lange Saxonia, BLRO, Grand Seiko 44GS, AP ROO
I'll revisit VC later, perhaps. Like the Maltese Cross a lot.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 01:37 AM   #5
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I’m a first gen 49140 owner and recently tried on the third gen 5500V, thinking I may “upgrade.” Here’s what I thought

Pros: interchangeable straps/bracelet, in house movement, clear case back, micro adjusting clasp on bracelet, great WR and antimagnetic properties, blue dial is beautiful but white was surprisingly my favorite - maybe because of uniformity with date window
Cons: price significantly higher, aesthetics of case (to me - taper is at the bracelet not in the case although I could get used to it), size is borderline for my 6.5” wrist, date at 4:30 instead of big date

In the end, I am passing on the 5500V. But what I may end up shifting my focus to the new dual time for a travel watch because of the same pros listed above in a smaller case. But the same type of value question over the previous gen dual time would also apply

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 05:00 AM   #6
chunk2020
"TRF" Member

I really like the new ones. I’ve the 1st gen chrono but the bracelet was knackered after years of regular wear so sent it in for a service and got a custom strap made now it’s fresher.

I just couldn’t justify going for the new chrono although the dual time or poss the 3 handler could be added down the line.

chunk2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 11:06 PM   #7
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk2020 View Post
I really like the new ones. I’ve the 1st gen chrono but the bracelet was knackered after years of regular wear so sent it in for a service and got a custom strap made now it’s fresher.

I just couldn’t justify going for the new chrono although the dual time or poss the 3 handler could be added down the line.

Looks great!! I have always been torn between gen 1 (love the size and numerals) and the gen 2 because the guilloche dial. I would not be interested in the gen 3 at all

astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 11:43 PM   #8
dmb359
2024 Pledge Member

the Gen 2 is by far my favorite of the VC's. I prefer the case, and the guilloche dial is awesome, and they should have kept with it.

I have a 47040 and have no interest in going to a newer version.
Old 12 March 2019, 03:19 AM   #9
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 3rd Gen v 2nd Gen

I like the Gen3 a lot, especially reverse panda dial. Quality is amazing, awesome in house movement, love the three easily interchangeable braceket/straps (with deployment clasp), and just a solid piece. Priced too high, but discounts are available.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 09:32 AM   #10
eamonn345
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
I like the Gen3 a lot, especially reverse panda dial. Quality is amazing, awesome in house movement, love the three easily interchangeable braceket/straps (with deployment clasp), and just a solid piece. Priced too high, but discounts are available.

Is this yours?

Old 12 March 2019, 05:08 PM   #11
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I own a black dial 2nd generation chronograph. You are spot on about the price differential between the 2nd and 3rd gen. Additionally, the quirky features which made the 2nd gen chronograph special have been eliminated in the 3rd gen. Gone is the big date at 12 o'clock, gone is the oversized chronograph minute counter, gone is the time tested FP1185 chronograph movement. The more conventional look of the 3rd gen isn't worth the extra cost, in my opinion.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 11:42 AM   #12
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
I absolutely love my Gen 2.

Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 02:30 PM   #13
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Gen 2 by far, the quirks of the dial, as mentioned by Cascavel, are what makes it a standout amongst other chronos...
The 2nd gen bezel looks better integrated with both the case, design of the bracelet and the lugs. ( don't like that extra "step" between bezel and case on the 3rd gen).
The new in house movement and strap system are fine, but not worth the trade off in aesthetics. Or $$$.

It was possible to pick up a 2nd gen, from a TD, for under $10k a short while ago. Now they seem to have edged up to $13k, possibly a comment on the redesign....
Old 14 March 2019, 09:54 AM   #14
zesty55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Gen 2 for chronograph, gen 3 for simple date
zesty55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 11:52 PM   #15
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
I waited until gen 3 came out before buying my gen 2, to compare. To me the gen 2 had a bit more of a unique appearance to the dial with the dual date, guilloche dial, and subdials, whereas the new one, while very nice, just doesn't stand out from the pack as much dial-wise...I do like the quick-change on the new one, but the coke bottle-like sudden taper of bracelet as it leaves the case is too severe and detracts from the flow of the watch, and I don't like that disc they stuck under the bezel, I really liked the bezel-on-case look of the previous gens.

Having said all of that, the new one is still a very lovely watch and does offer pretty quick n easy versatility with the quick strap change.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 04:53 AM   #16
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post

What size is your wrist? Mine is 18.5cm and trying to decide how big this would look versus the daytona C.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 05:01 AM   #17
dmb359
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
What size is your wrist? Mine is 18.5cm and trying to decide how big this would look versus the daytona C.
It will wear bigger than a Daytona C, but should still work on your wrist. I have a 7" wrist (~17.8cm) and have a Daytona C and a Gen 2 Overseas, and both fit me well. No pics handy right now, but I have some on IG if you're looking for pics.
Old 18 January 2020, 06:24 AM   #18
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

A couple wrist shots of me for reference.

gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:42 AM   #19
RTG
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
I like the Gen3 movement and display caseback. Wish they didn’t abandon the Grande Date. Given a choice, I would go Gen2 chrono
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 03:53 PM   #20
Joey5622
"TRF" Member

Bought a gen 3 during the holidays and i absolutely love it! Just annoyed with myself for scrathing already....

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Joey5622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 12:25 PM   #21
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey5622 View Post
Bought a gen 3 during the holidays and i absolutely love it! Just annoyed with myself for scrathing already....

Just gorgeous

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 12:40 PM   #22
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Cant beat the 3rd gen. I recently purchased the three hander and love it. I see your point from a value perspective for choosing a gen 2 if your going for the Chrono. Thats hard to beat for 10-12k

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:03 PM   #23
Joey5622
"TRF" Member

Gen 2 really does carry more value in terms of how much it costs to acquire vs the gen 3 and wss one of the things i considered before purchasing mine but i absolutely fell in love with the 3 when i handled it in person!

Joey5622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:32 PM   #24
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Love the gen 3 chronograph and will stay in my collection for very long time.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 09:09 PM   #25
tourizt
"TRF" Member

Dear Chunk 2020 (also sent you a PM, but not sure if I did it correctly, newbie, here...thus this public post)

I saw your old post with your 49140 and fell in love with your watch and the leather strap combination.

I just bought the 49140 and contacted VC. Also asking for their strap bar.

Their customer service (tried Germany, Zurich, Geneva...) keeps telling me, that this watch can only receive a metal bracelet, not a leather strap.

How and from whom did you get it done? I sent VC conceirge service Europe your photos and they said it is not the VC 49140/423A-8886. But is, or? First Gen Overseas Chrono. What else should it be? I am really confused by the VC concierge service.

So, you are my last hope, Would be great, if you could inform me, who serviced you. And what the cost of getting this custom strap was. Then I can reach out to VC again.

-> Since you are from the UK, I assume VC London served you? If you have a direct contact email, that would be great.

Thanks for your help.
tourizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 12:40 AM   #26
RTG
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
I will own a Gen2 chronograph some day. I was super excited when the gen3 was introduced with its open caseback, beautiful movement and quick change straps, then totally disappointed that the chronograph lost the Grande Date.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 01:20 PM   #27
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

I see this is an old thread, although I too was close to buying a 2nd gen. Love the big date.

What turned me off was the oversized minute sub dial, my OCD just couldn't cope with it not being symmetrical.

It's also one of the first pieces I couldn't make my mind up over white or black dial, both are beautiful.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote