The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 May 2019, 10:13 PM   #31
pauljuhn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mont Blanc
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
So you are okay with paying a little over, but no more than that?

Who decides what’s right? You? Or the market?

I just paid way over for a speedy. And I’m very comfortable with it. I paid market price. It is what it is.

Spend money wisely....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pauljuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 10:16 PM   #32
pauljuhn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke@TRF View Post
Greed is human nature, people don’t necessarily like Rolex that much, but only buy and own coz it holds value. Will whine like a swine when the bubble burst and quickly turn to other value retaining brands/products. Why pay 22k for a ss Daytona when u can buy a RG AP OS used?

Spot on!

Old 10 May 2019, 10:20 PM   #33
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
if i can justify the price in my head, and i can't get the watch out of my head, i go ahead.

Couldn’t have put it better or catchier- this is how I feel too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 10:29 PM   #34
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljuhn View Post
Spend money wisely....

watch money is not money i need for living, retirement, savings etc...

i would not spend on watches if those were needed.

but i am a 45 year old adult with no kids. so it is a little easier for me.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 10:30 PM   #35
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCann0n View Post
Couldn’t have put it better or catchier- this is how I feel too..

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 11:15 PM   #36
Phudu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600,BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfromleeds View Post
When I get a few minutes spare I look at whats for sale on chrono 24 , eBay , Watchfinder etc , the prices being asked are ridiculous almost laughable !
are people deluded to think someone will pay double or almost triple for a watch they bought last week ! Yes I know about all the supply and demand rubbish thats going on and ADs cherry picking who gets what .

On one hand I get it when you pay a little over rrp like 10% because one price increase your back on a level playing field , anything else just seems plain nuts .

I myself paid a little over list to get my D blue , but not double or triple , whats your take on this ? are people who paid 14k for the steel Pepsi etc going to get burned ??? the steel ceramic Daytona is another selling for daft money with a case size thats too small in my opinion .

lets have your thoughts
Happiness is the most important thing if money is not an issue for some of lucky folks in this world. Why beg the AD to sell them a Ceramic Daytona, instead they just buy it from the trusted sellers and get it the next day. The price premium meant nothing to them.
Phudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 11:26 PM   #37
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
When I get a few minutes spare I look at whats for sale on chrono 24 , eBay , Watchfinder etc , the prices being asked are ridiculous almost laughable !
are people deluded to think someone will pay double or almost triple for a watch they bought last week ! Yes I know about all the supply and demand rubbish thats going on and ADs cherry picking who gets what .

On one hand I get it when you pay a little over rrp like 10% because one price increase your back on a level playing field , anything else just seems plain nuts .

I myself paid a little over list to get my D blue , but not double or triple , whats your take on this ? are people who paid 14k for the steel Pepsi etc going to get burned ??? the steel ceramic Daytona is another selling for daft money with a case size thats too small in my opinion .

lets have your thoughts
...seems like you were pretty lucky then....
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 11:31 PM   #38
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Listprice or with a discount for me!
Otherwise I let it go, lucky me> I have more hobby's.(Harley Davidson and lot of holidays :)

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 11:41 PM   #39
Rosex
"TRF" Member

If a second-hand bag can sell for 100 000 Euro then a 20k watch looks like good value. Its the new reality, the world population is booming and maybe we are just the new poor? The rich don't care what things cost and they are the target market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bag.jpg (14.6 KB, 435 views)
Rosex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 11:46 PM   #40
Rosex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwatches View Post
all the wrong places to look really. Ebay has some real dreamers on, WF reowned for being on a completely different pricing structure and chrono24 is one of most frustrating sites to use now. Its not how it used to be 5 years ago, most dealers advertise stock they haven't got if they ever respond to you.
yip, they quote 4-6 weeks delivery, if they don't have it in stock then they should not be permitted to sell. I make very reasonable price suggestions and they always rejected as the dealer doesn't have the watch.
Rosex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 11:49 PM   #41
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
You’re worried about the people that paid $14k for a Pepsi?

What about the ones that paid $18k for a Pepsi!?

It’s kinda tough out here

Sometimes I have to remind myself that in the end, we are simply talking about watches here, and I am fortunate that I could even afford one

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 11:57 PM   #42
Litflynt912
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I overpay for leather goods at Hermes but sadly it is MSRP
Dude...
My wife and I spend more on tiny horse charms than I do on a watch.
Hermès has us trained to not even question a price. It’s another world in their boutiques lol
They offer you a bag and most reactions would put our Rolex whining to shame lol
Litflynt912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 11:58 PM   #43
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I overpay for leather goods at Hermes but sadly it is MSRP

Haha
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 12:20 AM   #44
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Resale Rolex prices are more of a Shakespearean tragedy than a joke. And it's OUR fault for indulging in this little play.
Old 11 May 2019, 01:03 AM   #45
w4rmk
Banned

Watch: Deepsea D-Blue
It’s a good time to enjoy other brands that are still a bargain on the secondary market.
w4rmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 01:20 AM   #46
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I'm sure prices are open to negotiation. It's probably worth a shot if someone is hungry enough to offer top line.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 01:22 AM   #47
VinnieVegas
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 GMT Master II
I wanted the blue Alpinist limited edition a month or so ago. Limited run, MSRP of $600 or so. They sold out quickly and I saw offers out there for $1000 or so. Cray cray. I want one, but not that bad.

I agree with you.

* Seiko SRP777 (2017)
VinnieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 02:03 AM   #48
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

There are plenty of luxury goods that I don't think are worth the price. I don't buy them.

There's no rule that the price needs to reflect a universal agreement on value. If it's very expensive and one person pays it, then it was correctly priced.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 02:04 AM   #49
cloudplay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCann0n View Post
However, unless the next recession is tomorrow (or soon), that discounted price will likely be higher than the current price.. eg the £20k Rolex will climb to £30k and then may discount to £23k.
Also, there are a lot of people that are unaffected by recessions by which I mean unaffected enough to not stop buying “cheap” items - like a £20k watch.
Not sure I follow the math - should demand drop back to levels of just 3-4 years ago, MSRP will be the ceiling for most pieces, irrespective of the la-la prices greys are charging now. It was four years ago when PP *cut* MSRP in many of their key markets.

I'm not sure which fraction of the newly wealthy driving up demand now were around with a sizable portfolio in 2008. Surely not the crypto-kids or most of the Chinese "middle-class" (really more like top 1-2% of their population). Even for many who weren't in danger of losing job, car, house, kid's college fund and retirement, adding to their collection of trinkets was probably not at the top of their priority list. Once prices have collapsed by 50% it takes a brave soul or true enthusiast to bet that the next move is a rebound to previous heights, rather than another 50% drop.
cloudplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 02:28 AM   #50
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I wish you would have opened the post with the Daytona having “a case size too small” so I could have stopped reading then.

jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 02:30 AM   #51
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

I paid $200 above retail for a BNIB explorer II 216570 grey market. And that was too much

Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 02:45 AM   #52
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudplay View Post
Not sure I follow the math - should demand drop back to levels of just 3-4 years ago, MSRP will be the ceiling for most pieces, irrespective of the la-la prices greys are charging now. It was four years ago when PP *cut* MSRP in many of their key markets.

I'm not sure which fraction of the newly wealthy driving up demand now were around with a sizable portfolio in 2008. Surely not the crypto-kids or most of the Chinese "middle-class" (really more like top 1-2% of their population). Even for many who weren't in danger of losing job, car, house, kid's college fund and retirement, adding to their collection of trinkets was probably not at the top of their priority list. Once prices have collapsed by 50% it takes a brave soul or true enthusiast to bet that the next move is a rebound to previous heights, rather than another 50% drop.
I agree with you.

The current artificially inflated price is feasible only because 1) demand>supply and 2) nobody knows with certainty how soon they will get the watch they want from the AD.

When people are given a choice of unknown (AD 10-year wait list) vs. certainty (greys having the watch right now), we gravitate toward certainty. Unless, of course, the grey price gets so high that it becomes untenable.

Once demand<supply though, the price goes back to the floor which is msrp. If people can walk in any AD, order a Pepsi, and have it on their wrist in a month with certainty and at msrp, nobody would ever bother to look on the greys any longer.

Sadly I am not sure we would ever see demand<supply any time soon.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 02:52 AM   #53
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39, SeaQ
Yes, this is a result of capitalism and a free market. Though one buyer willing to pay an exorbitant price for a model doesn't mean that's the value of that particular model. Not everyone values money the same way and some have more to spend carelessly than others. It doesn't mean they're crazy. If I could sell my watch (or anything else) for 3 times more than I bought it for a few months ago I probably would. Especially if I could sell it and then wait a few months on a list and buy it again for MSRP. I can sacrifice now and reap the benefits by selling and be patient and wait to replace it. Perhaps others can't be patient and so they pay the exorbitant price to get it now.

Last night I searched 10 years back on the TRF classifieds just to see what was HOT and what prices sellers were asking over the years. I noticed that even the not so hot used models have doubled in asking price over what they were asking back then. Kinda disproves some claims I've heard here that Rolex isn't an investment strategy.
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 05:07 AM   #54
Jetski
Banned

A joke because you're not the one making massive profits off the rich people who don't care about paying over MSRP?
Jetski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 06:02 AM   #55
pauljuhn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosex View Post
If a second-hand bag can sell for 100 000 Euro then a 20k watch looks like good value. Its the new reality, the world population is booming and maybe we are just the new poor? The rich don't care what things cost and they are the target market.

But Rolex SS is not meant to be.
They just look strong.

Old 11 May 2019, 06:09 AM   #56
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljuhn View Post
Spend money wisely....
Tell that to central bankers, good luck.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 06:10 AM   #57
pauljuhn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieVegas View Post
I wanted the blue Alpinist limited edition a month or so ago. Limited run, MSRP of $600 or so. They sold out quickly and I saw offers out there for $1000 or so. Cray cray. I want one, but not that bad.

I agree with you.

This was one-off 1959 pieces deal and only $400 difference - much more easier to swallow.
But 10k+ more?

Old 11 May 2019, 06:12 AM   #58
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060
I refuse to pay high resale values especially when at this point you can just buy a pm model for closer to the same value. Don't count on people to realize this there is plenty of dummies willing to pay 40-50% over face for something they want.
AshCashEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 06:12 AM   #59
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
It’s a sellers market. Maybe that will change. Maybe it won’t.

Old 11 May 2019, 06:13 AM   #60
aaron1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: COKE
Quote:

lets have your thoughts
These posts are becoming what's laughable. How many times are we going to do this?!?!?
aaron1977 is offline   Reply With Quote