The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2019, 07:12 PM   #1
desk jockey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
126711 CHNR as a Daily Carry

Hi everyone. I have now agonized for months about picking my first Rolex and would appreciate some advice if possible.

I'm sort of torn between Explorer II 216570 black dial and GMT II. I love the idea of Explorer 214270 as my only watch but the reality is I work with people in different time zones and I just came back from holiday in East Asia (my TZ is CET) where I texted my friends at ungodly hours because I'd lost track of time at home. I know I need that GMT hand so I've reluctantly (almost) given up on the 214270 at this point. I also appreciate having date indication.

Anyway, I like the Explorer II quite a bit, I must have watched pretty much every video there is on this watch and I know it rocks. However... GMT II can track 3 time zones at a push and I am on the fence about the Exp II bezel, still. The fact that my local AD has 0 SS watches to try on doesn't help. I only know the 216570 from pictures and videos.

As we all know, brand new SS GMT II BLNR is unobtainium; I also don't like the jubilee bracelet. Through this incredibly convoluted train of thought, I arrived at the option of splurging on a 126711 CHNR. Still with me? Thank you if you made it this far.

The way I see it, CHNR means shorter wait (12 months? 18? Maybe much less, even) and I actually love the looks of it. I know I could pull it off.

Hence my questions:
1. Just how shouty is the CHNR outside of AD lights? How mogul'd up do you feel when you wear it? My father-in-law wears a TT white-dial daytona (yellow gold) as a daily and it comes across relatively OK which is why I'm even considering a rolesor. I'm not after a statement, don't want to rub people's faces in it and I want to understand if it can be worn (relatively) discreetly at all.
2. How beat up does everose get in daily life? Is it butter-like or can I expect basic robustness from the bracelet? Did any of you who own CHNR put it on a strap right away and locked away the bracelet? Do inevitable swirls and scratches drive you crazy when you look at it? From what I hear, everose is a tiny bit tougher than yellow gold, but I'm not sure. My FiL's daytona definitely has a patina but it doesn't scream from yards away.
3. How bad is the wait compared to SS GMT II?
4. For EXP II owners - does the bezel not look naff in real life? Sort of tonka-esque? I can't shake off this impression that it tries a bit too hard and I worry that it will jar on me with time. Like I said, my local AD has zero SS watches on display so I would be buying it sight unseen.

Thank you for reading and any advice is much appreciated!
desk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:16 PM   #2
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
The GMT CHNR is a beautiful thing. It's much less bling that the yellow gold TT version. If you are dark skinned, I would say it looks less bling that a SS GMT (which, is no longer in production, so I don't think you will get one from an AD).

So out of the GMT you mention, the only one with any decent chance of getting will be the CHNR (pepsi and batman no chance without contacts/relationship)

As to the EXP2, it's a very bland watch in comparison to a GMT and even a current sub. Without the shiny ceramic bezel and polished centre links it just lacks bling.

HOWEVER, that is/can be a good point. A GMT will shout Rolex from a far, the brushed finish of a EXP2 is more low key.

Here is my GMT CHNR in the garden on a nice day:

Old 23 May 2019, 09:40 PM   #3
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

1. It is quite shouty compared to the SS brushed watches, in fact even compared to SS with polished links. In the many years I have been collecting, the only time someone has asked what I was wearing (from non-rolex people and other rolex owners) is what the CHNR is.
2. It gets pretty micro scratched easily.
3. I found one walking into an AD (but it was in the back). Was also offered one after a 4-5 month wait at list.
4. Not sure what naff translates to...

All in all though, unless you are outdoors mountain climbing all the time and more in the city...the CHNR is an amazing watch! Easily one of the best looking watches in person. It looks so different from many different angles, and l dare say looks even better 10 feet away than compared on the wrist. The way the ever rose color was done is simply fantastic.

Just look at how amazing Ninjin's photo is!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:02 PM   #4
desk jockey
"TRF" Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply, gents; really appreciate it.

ninjin - the watch is a stunner, congrats and wear in good health.

I am light skinned (often told I should look out for crows when I take my top off as they might mistake me for a piece of bread) but apparently rose gold goes fine with my skin tone.

macrowatch - he he, naff must be slang then, sorry. It means uncool, slightly nerdy/childish I suppose, or just not-quite-right, off. I do a fair bit of outdoors but nothing too extreme and I will not take a mechanical watch mountain biking anyway so it should be mostly safe.

This is likely to be my only Rolex for a good while so I am trying to make this one count.

I've gone through a few ideas (was even thinking about 214270 collection combo with a Breitling Avenger II GMT) but I really tend to give 99% of wrist time to one watch, so I would rather have all I need in one daily wearer. I've looked at various watches but there is just something about the quality of finish on the Rolex that I've not seen on any other watch, apart from maybe the Moser Pioneer which I had a chance to handle at Bucherer's in Lausanne.

One last question - do you guys wear CHNRs on a daily basis (don't know, pub, shopping, work etc.), or is it something for a special occasion? Thanks again.
Old 23 May 2019, 11:23 PM   #5
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
1. It is quite shouty compared to the SS brushed watches, in fact even compared to SS with polished links. In the many years I have been collecting, the only time someone has asked what I was wearing (from non-rolex people and other rolex owners) is what the CHNR is.
2. It gets pretty micro scratched easily.
3. I found one walking into an AD (but it was in the back). Was also offered one after a 4-5 month wait at list.
4. Not sure what naff translates to...

All in all though, unless you are outdoors mountain climbing all the time and more in the city...the CHNR is an amazing watch! Easily one of the best looking watches in person. It looks so different from many different angles, and l dare say looks even better 10 feet away than compared on the wrist. The way the ever rose color was done is simply fantastic.

Just look at how amazing Ninjin's photo is!
I don’t think it’s shouty. The rose gold blends in beautifully and its subtle. Can easily be a daily watch.
SFBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 11:52 PM   #6
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
The CHNR is undervalued compared to BLNR and Hulk. Aesthetically in my opinion it is the most beautiful rolex in current production (I'm talking about the TT).

When all is said and done, sheer beauty and classic beauty will stand the test of time - the warm undertones of black and brown really really works with rose gold and steel.

The rose gold is light enough where it looks incredibly elegant but due to high polish and light pink, it looks like steel in certain angles. As someone in Finance and a CPA, I am conservative enough where I wouldn't wear TT with yellow gold or full yellow gold bracelet watches, but I am ok with CHNR.

I own a 1680 red sub, a smurf, and a few Pateks and AP and I will tell you the CHNR is the bomb.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:12 AM   #7
ricardoo
"TRF" Member

In my opinion CHNR is the best TT Rolex one can buy right now on earth !
ricardoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 03:46 AM   #8
desk jockey
"TRF" Member

Thanks very much for your responses, much appreciated. That piece is a stunner, ninjin - wear it in good health!

I think my mind is pretty much made up and will chat to the AD this weekend. Don’t think I can resist much longer ��
Old 24 May 2019, 04:26 AM   #9
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

1. The CHNR (TT) really isn't too flashy. I'd even argue that it is less flashy than the currently SS on jubilee offerings. I got mine a little over 2 weeks ago, and have been wearing it to the office every day. Not a single person has noticed. The fact is, unless it's a fellow WIS, no one pays attention to your watch.

2. I haven't owned it quite long enough to give too much insight into this second question, but the rose gold center links will accumulate small scratches for sure. This is the case for all polished center links, regardless of metal. Some people can't stand this fact, and others could care less. I am in the latter camp. So you just have to ask yourself which type are you?

3. I think the wait really depends on many factors: location, AD relationship, etc. I live in Los Angeles, and I'm a small fish, so I would have been waiting quite a while. I was very fortunate to have a fellow TRF member help me source mine, but prior to that I was put on a few lists at different AD's throughout SoCal. I still haven't from a single one of them 4+ months later. YMMV

4. Don't own the Exp II so can't comment.

In conclusion I think that the CHNR is a great daily carry - beautiful, far more versatile than one might expect, and very useful with multiple time zones and date function. My poor Speedy has seen zero wrist time since acquiring my CHNR as I've worn it every single day (and night.)

Hope this was helpful!
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 04:30 AM   #10
desk jockey
"TRF" Member

Fantastic :-) congrats on the watch, enjoy all the good times and I hope to experience the same soon. I like what I’m hearing so far!
Old 24 May 2019, 04:39 AM   #11
Tom5518
Banned

Watch: Air King
I have both the CHNR and Explorer II and they are very different watches. The CHNR is definitely more "blingy", and I was self conscious of it the first couple of times I wore it. However, just as my AD explained to me when I went back to see about adding an all stainless GMT to the stable for daily wear, most of it is in your head. People don't really notice any watch I wear while out and about. I say go for the CHNR and don't look back!
Tom5518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 04:41 AM   #12
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desk jockey View Post

ninjin - the watch is a stunner, congrats and wear in good health.

I am light skinned (often told I should look out for crows when I take my top off as they might mistake me for a piece of bread) but apparently rose gold goes fine with my skin tone.

macrowatch - he he, naff must be slang then, sorry. It means uncool, slightly nerdy/childish I suppose, or just not-quite-right, off. I do a fair bit of outdoors but nothing too extreme and I will not take a mechanical watch mountain biking anyway so it should be mostly safe.

This is likely to be my only Rolex for a good while so I am trying to make this one count.

I've gone through a few ideas (was even thinking about 214270 collection combo with a Breitling Avenger II GMT) but I really tend to give 99% of wrist time to one watch, so I would rather have all I need in one daily wearer. I've looked at various watches but there is just something about the quality of finish on the Rolex that I've not seen on any other watch, apart from maybe the Moser Pioneer which I had a chance to handle at Bucherer's in Lausanne.

One last question - do you guys wear CHNRs on a daily basis (don't know, pub, shopping, work etc.), or is it something for a special occasion? Thanks again.
Man, I know the angst! The reality is after you add the first one, you'll probably add a second one down the road, so I wouldn't sweat this decision being set in stone.

The next part of my answer might sound a bit contradictory: If I could only have one watch, I'd probably get a sub or something with a brushed bracelet like a regular GMT but a sub bracelet. But all of that said, after I picked up a CHNR the BLNR and sub never got worn again so...yeah.

I think it's perfectly fine as a daily. It is simply an amazing watch, and I really didn't think the brown would work...but it does. Enjoy!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 04:52 AM   #13
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Chiming in again just to share a couple of pics. Enjoy:

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 24 May 2019, 04:59 AM   #14
desk jockey
"TRF" Member

Legend, thanks :-)

EDIT: dammit, that’s a beautiful piece, Largoshark.
Old 24 May 2019, 06:02 AM   #15
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5518 View Post
I have both the CHNR and Explorer II and they are very different watches. The CHNR is definitely more "blingy", and I was self conscious of it the first couple of times I wore it. However, just as my AD explained to me when I went back to see about adding an all stainless GMT to the stable for daily wear, most of it is in your head. People don't really notice any watch I wear while out and about. I say go for the CHNR and don't look back!

Agreed. I have the full RG version and no has noticed or commented other than one guy who asked me if it was copper. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 06:11 AM   #16
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22 View Post
Agreed. I have the full RG version and no has noticed or commented other than one guy who asked me if it was copper. Lol.

I can see where he was coming from! I think it is 22.25% copper in the alloy? so he was near! Made me smile though!
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 07:27 AM   #17
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by desk jockey View Post

I hope it all goes well and you get it in good time. As to daily wear, I have no problem in wearing it daily except for the security issue. In London, I rarely wear my Rolex except for my Sub ND on a Rubber B, which flies well under the radar.

One thing I have learnt over the years, Rolex watches age well, what I mean is that your daily use ages it (scratches etc etc) but it still looks good from a far.

When I got my first Datejust in 2000, it got worn daily without a care. Fair, enough, I'm not hard on my watches but unlike today when people pamper their appreciating asset, times sure have changed.

I still remember my heating engineer who came to work on my house in 2014. Wore a classic pepsi (before all this hype) and he bought it from new. He said it cost him £1700. It was a total wreck, scratched, bracelet stretched, the works. But it kept perfect time. And for my engineer, that was the most important thing.

Buy and enjoy... Don't buy an asset.

Shame I only feel safe wearing these in HK.... Would love to give them more wrist time.

Old 24 May 2019, 07:50 AM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I chose all stainless steel as a true beater. It's also not as blingy. Have to admit I'm wearing a SkyD blue and wear it 24/7. Most people have no idea what it is and that's perfect :-)

Chnr is a far different styling. My wife likes it and almost got one... but dealer refuses to do a two watch deal with Pepsi i asked for seconds after it was announced. Oh well, off to next AD to make a new relationship... or just wait.

OP, get the Explorer imho. That's what you really want it seems, and you can beat the.. out of it and never worry.Chnr is about two to three month wait here. Little demand really except guys here it seems
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:31 AM   #19
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Just got “the call” today and turned it down.
One, because I am expecting a DD this coming week but more importantly, while I was a big fan of this watch in photos when it first came out, it didn’t sing the same way when I saw it in person.
It’s a beautiful watch but not for everyone, like me.
Old 24 May 2019, 09:39 AM   #20
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Just got “the call” today and turned it down.
One, because I am expecting a DD this coming week but more importantly, while I was a big fan of this watch in photos when it first came out, it didn’t sing the same way when I saw it in person.
It’s a beautiful watch but not for everyone, like me.
I thought you said you turned it down yesterday
Old 24 May 2019, 10:46 AM   #21
Hercmax
"TRF" Member

I've worn my TT CHNR about a dozen times now (part of heavy rotation) and I've had more comments on it than all my other watches combined in the last few years from non-watch and watch guys/gals. It's a peacock so be warned. But damn it's a lovely thing.
Hercmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:51 AM   #22
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largoshark View Post
I thought you said you turned it down yesterday

Still leaving there, yesterday.
Old 24 May 2019, 11:34 AM   #23
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I was a big fan of this watch in photos when it first came out, it didn’t sing the same way when I saw it in person.
Excellent point, I asked my dealer if I could at least see one before committing and that's a no-go. Have heard from many people you need to see the Rootbeer in person before deciding.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 24 May 2019, 11:48 AM   #24
Rollie8
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR, BLRO, Sub-C
I’ve got a SubC Date, BLRO and CHNR. The Root Beer is a gorgeous and classy looking watch but not gaudy. The colors pull together so well that it’s not nearly as in your face as the much brighter yellow gold. In some ways I agree that the Pepsi can be a bit more showy despite being fully stainless. The jubilee bracelet just throws light more directions and appears a bit more ornate. Get the Root Beer, you won’t regret it.

Rollie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:51 AM   #25
Rollie8
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR, BLRO, Sub-C
If you find it’s too showy after you get it, putting a different strap on it will mute it even more. Though the colors and the bracelet really pull it all together. It is in my opinion the best looking Rolex there is at the moment... without qualifying by saying best two tone. It’s just so warm looking and classy.

Rollie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 01:54 AM   #26
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Here is my CHNR on a Smurf white gold bracelet. With the correct spring bars the ceramic sub bracelet and gmt bracelets should fit. The rose gold tone is light enough that is goes well.

This illustrates not only the awesomeness of the combo but how refined the gold color is

Old 25 May 2019, 03:39 AM   #27
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
No reason why not; there isn't a standard Rolex made that isn't a daily wear watch!!!!(All standard Rolex watches are good for daily wear.)

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 06:30 AM   #28
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ok, am blaming you guys because i just ordered one. It's all your fault!!!

Did just order and good to know about bracelet swap. Like the pic with rubber strap too as already have one here.

PS: Ok, can easily see it as a daily beater with rubber strap. Sometimes the SkyD blue does feel a bit heavy and unbalanced on the wrist. jmho of course.

Old 25 May 2019, 06:33 AM   #29
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

I will take as much as blame as you want to dish out here Steven. It's a great watch and I stand behind it :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Ok, am blaming you guys because i just ordered one. It's all your fault!!!

Did just order and good to know about bracelet swap. Like the pic with rubber strap too as already have one here.
Old 25 May 2019, 06:38 AM   #30
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post

The black dial SkyD just kills the Daytona in that pic CHNR ,yes,its a beauty !!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote