The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2019, 12:21 AM   #91
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Health first.
Living in chronic pain is no fun, I have been there but have been blessed to have improved with surgeries.
Hopefully you can find the relief you need and seek.
Old 24 May 2019, 12:23 AM   #92
crewsin
Banned

Watch: Explorer
As a newer member, I’m sorry to hear such a wealth of knowledge may be lost but you must do whatever you need to get your health in the best possible place and that is that sir. No two ways about it, and I wish you a comfortable and confident return to feeling well.

As for the surge of recent dumb yet rampantly repeated threads concerning a poster who already knows the answer and is just looking for confirmation bias, silly grey prices, ADs not offering my favorite champagne, my watch is better than yours, where can I buy a SS sport for MSRP, can my Rolex get wet, oh my god here’s a scratch on the bracelet, etc..I think it stems from three things:

1) Rolex’s marketing prowess coupled with the ever growingly less of a need for a wristwatch (smartphones are now the master of the sheep and the average person supposedly scrolls through 300ft of content per day), hence making these pieces even more essentially just sought-after jewelry for so many, who have extremely limited understanding or care for the craft.

2) Social media such as Instagram perpetuating exclusivity. I would personally never post a picture of my watch on social media, to me it is very poor taste and screams “I’m trying way to hard to perpetuate an image that I have a bunch of money”, but it’s also a good way to ask someone to rob you. Be humble, be grateful...I’m talking to you hashtaggers.

3) The economy being strong in US and China currently. More and more people (I’m talking pure volume) have the ability to purchase one of these pieces, which is a good thing, but with the ease of pressing “Buy It” on your phone comes the general public, which are the masses who have not taken the time to really learn about what they are buying. It is just easier to immediately post a dumb question that’s been answered literally 100 times than to search for the answer first.

If you’re still reading this, this is just my $0.02...

To padi, whatever you decide, I hope you feel better sir.
crewsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:23 AM   #93
richamby
"TRF" Member

I’m sorry to hear of your health issues and want to thank you for all of your posts. I’m one of the newer Rolex owners and am very interested in the history of the brand and watches. When questions of importance come up, I always look for your reply. I know it will be the uncolored truth. Your posts have given me a very small amount of your wisdom and a great appreciation for the brand. If you decide to leave, you will be missed and a great vacuum will exist. What fills it will be unknown. My feelings are that it probably won’t be enlightenment but more garbage. You my friend are like the raisins in Raisin Brand cereal. The little bits of joy in a bowl full of boring. Hope for comfort peace and joy for you.
richamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:26 AM   #94
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
I wish you well, Peter. I would say I'd miss you on the forum but I'm spending less time here lately myself. I find the materialism quite distasteful and it's sad to see that replacing what was once a forum devoted to knowledge and appreciation. Good luck and I sincerely hope you find some relief from pain.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:31 AM   #95
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Wish you the best. Sorry you feel that way but definitely understand. The investment ones are especially getting old.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:31 AM   #96
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Good vibes being sent for your health
Old 24 May 2019, 12:32 AM   #97
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Hi Peter , Thank you for all your great advise & knowledge on all things Rolex & more , there's certainly been some entertaining replies from you . Time stands still for no one unfortunately & you have to do what's right for you & your family so best of luck to you

Oh & just before you go , Can you advise me if its safe to wear my Sub in direct sunlight & if it isn't will this affect future values
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:39 AM   #98
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
I saw this coming from a mile away after your post the other day. I wonder how many others will follow and abandon this forum. It certainly has crossed my mind and I am sure many others have lost hope on here.

I have always enjoyed your knowledge and straight shooting Peter. You should reconsider but if you don't I am sure I speak for most of us when I say you will be missed. Can't count how many times my wife and I have laughed out loud at your reply's on here. What a shitty day

***We need to start a donation box on here to get Peter a Rolex to show our gratitude for all the years of knowledge and laughs.
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:51 AM   #99
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Although I do not know you, your words made me feel sad and I hope your pain management is under control.

For what its worth, I wear my smurf as a daily beater because that is what it is meant for, to be worn.

You sound like your are one of the key members that helped to make TRF what it is today, it would be a real loss should you decide to step back and no longer contribute.

Peace and good luck to you all the same.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:59 AM   #100
captain_NEMO
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
There are quite a few members here who post meaningful and insightful thoughts, and I always take the time to read them. You are one of them. Though I've never had any interactions with you (except when you asked me to remove a picture of a gun on my avatar or face excommunication ), I've always respected and valued your inputs - though I must admit, a few of your latter posts seemed a bit cynical. Now I know why, and I can't say I blame you.

We all must do what we need to do, regardless of reasons. I wish you speedy recovery from what ails you - or solace at the very least.

Will definitely miss your posts about Seagulls and how many seconds there are in 1 day (86,400).
captain_NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:05 AM   #101
RichM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
So sorry to read this. You have to do what you think is best for your health. If you do decide not to participate, you will truly be missed.

Wishing you the best.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:08 AM   #102
Boothroyd
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Peter, you would/will be sorely missed. It may not seem like it but your knowledge is on of the most redeeming factors about the Forums. Like buying a watch however, there is only one criteria which is important; it needs to be right for the wearer. None of the members can say what is right for you. One thing is certain you can always check in if you feel like it. I consider myself lucky to have read your posts and learned from you even if it may not seem that you were appreciated. God bless you in what ever you decide! -Lee Fisk
This is very well stated, I couldn't agree more. I can't thank you enough, Peter, for the clarity and knowledge you brought to TRF consistently for so long. I must confess, I concur with your observations.

I can only wish you the best of health, comfort and peace. Thank you so much, but please do drop in from time to time as the mood takes you--you don't have to read, but you can post content as you think of it. Thank you so much!!! One of the saddest days ever on TRF.
Old 24 May 2019, 01:09 AM   #103
mattesq
"TRF" Member

Wish you the best sir. Always a good idea to spend time on the things that bring you joy. I share your exasperation with the forum. "Is it safe" and "will it go up" and "will it get discontinued" and "what should I buy" are all brutal. And the nicknames make me a bit nuts too but probably because I am an old man.

All the best with whatever you decide. I always look for your input on posts and appreciate the advice and time you have given making the community a little better. Be well.
Old 24 May 2019, 01:15 AM   #104
StarryNights
"TRF" Member

I really wish you would stay, you're a necessary counterweight to the annoying "shall we call it batgirl" idiots that have been plaguing the site especially in the last 12 months. I hope you feel better.
StarryNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:16 AM   #105
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Hey Peter, although we've never met (heck most of us have never and will never meet) I have enjoyed your posts and refreshing attitude. Take that with you, for whatever it is worth, if you decide to stop contributing.

I wish you the best with your health issues.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:23 AM   #106
SearChart
TechXpert

Peter I completely understand your point, but this place just wouldn't be the same without you...
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:28 AM   #107
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Sorry to hear Peter. I hope you recover your health after some rest. As for the quality of the postings in the rolex forum, I generally agree. Those reasons you mentioned are also why I rarely post here anymore and spend more time in the sub-forums of AP/PP. Take care and all the best.
Old 24 May 2019, 01:30 AM   #108
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
Thank you for everything that you’ve done for the forum, Peter. I don’t post much but I’ve been here for almost 10 years and you’re always around giving great advice.

I really wish you the best of health and best of luck.

Take care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:35 AM   #109
MinMay
Banned

Time To Log Out Perhaps For Good..

+1 i don’t blame you because I feel the same. I see too many subjective threads (more like dumb questions). What color underwear, or should I say watch, should I buy? Really, buy what you like and not asking for someone else personal preferences. Is it safe to bring it on my trip? Bring it if you want to, but why the need to start a thread? It’s not rocket scientist. I feel there are way too many people on this forum with lack of common sense. How about should I trade thread?

I don't fail to every single time when I browse the forum....

Anyhow the forum is great sometimes while I’m waiting at an office or bored at home, digging through some thread, looking for something new and interesting information.

Should I continue or should stop typing? Hahaha I can't think for myself so I need opinions from the members
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:42 AM   #110
DtownRRS
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT/SUB/Daytona
Wishing you well with your health, all the best on that end. Maybe just drop MOD status and only read what you find interesting when you choose. You have had some great in-site posts.
DtownRRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:49 AM   #111
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
You’ve delivered a wonderful service. As a newish member, I may have been guilty of asking banal questions. I could sense the frustration in some of your posts but overwhelmingly you’ve given me generous answers and consideration.

You’ll be happy to know that I bought into the 1954 Pan Am GMT aviators legend. My BLRO and I have crossed numerous timezones today and it’s living up to its spirit. In the last hour of the last flight, it glowed beautifully in the dark cabin. I almost decided that this was the one - no more adding when you’ve got what I see as perfect.

I sometimes scratch my head at what attracts eyeballs and responses.

I hope you find some comfort and perhaps as doctors like to say - wean yourself off this place slowly. It would be a shame to waste that brain.

Thanks so much.
InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:11 AM   #112
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Sorry to hear about your health. Get well soon. As to the Forum, your points are spot on. Very little talk on the movement changes and designs and older models versus new. Its all about the market availability, internet sellers, should I buy this watch or how should I wear it and should I do this trade.

But I guess this is to be expected where such a large new segment of people are now chasing the product as opposed to just long standing collectors/admirers.

My very best to you.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:13 AM   #113
pepsiretail
Banned

I have read your thread/posts and admire your obvious deep affection for Rolex. I, and many others, appreciate your candor. As a recent member here I have tried to inject a little levity, although mischievous at times, as I believe there is too much despair and darkness in the world and watches should bring pleasure and enjoyment to their extremely fortunate owners. Good physical and mental health are by far more important than superfluous material possessions, despite how much we love them. But love them we do and your knowledge and straight talk about them is a tremendous source of pleasure for us. I wish you all the best and urge you to reconsider.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:16 AM   #114
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
Sorry to hear about your health. Hope your pain and illness eases. I’m fairly new to the forum, and don’t really mind banal threads. I may even be the one starting some of them. However, I can imagine it being frustrating having to go through all of them as a mod. You have posted some interesting articles, and I almost always read what you have to say about a certain topic. As others have mentioned above, it’d be a great loss for the community if you left entirely, so maybe consider dropping your duties as a mod, and enjoying the forum just as a member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:16 AM   #115
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Well all miss you Peter, take care of yourself.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Brian Page is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:18 AM   #116
johnjm
"TRF" Member

I'll be a mod?

I kid, I don't know you but I wish you the very best with your health.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 24 May 2019, 02:22 AM   #117
horntiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
I agree with much of Padi's sentiments, but disagree with others. I think it is helpful to have a forum to ask honest questions like, is the crown supposed to align? Is it safe to do x? Am I making a silly move to buy x? I also think discussing availability is helpful to some forum members. There is a happy medium. I think Padi's view of what we should. Discuss is too narrow, but he does have good points and food for thought.
horntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:24 AM   #118
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

This definitely hurt to read, and I'm very sorry to learn about your health problems.

Peter, please just know that your vast knowledge and wisdom is highly appreciated by many on this forum, including myself. I will admit that when I first got into the brand, I was one of those OCD owners concerned with some very trivial non-issues. But you told it to me straight, and as I continued to read more and more of your posts, really began to change my perspective. I feel like I now have a much greater appreciation for what it really means to be a Rolex owner, and I get vastly more joy out of the hobby. (Though I'm sure I still have a ways to go.)

I really hope that you stick around, but if you don't I wish you all the best. You will be missed. Thanks for everything
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:26 AM   #119
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
Padi, first and foremost, I am sorry for your health issues, and extend my prayers for you and your family. Being a new member not a new Rolex owner, I do not disagree with much of what you said. The value threads or the can I do xyz while wearing my Rolex whatever model, or can I travel here or there with my Rolex xyz. They are not my cup of java. But the in depth knowledge of the brand are truly appreciated and I have read and learned quite a bit. I hope you will reconsider and see that without folks like you to share the wealth of knowledge you have, we are left in worse shape...

Praying for your health.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:37 AM   #120
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Padi, I hear u

Please take care of urself. Health is #1.

I always appreciated u sharing ur knowledge and offering ur insight.

I, like u, am getting tired of seeing:

“which one should I get?”
(Buy the one u love.. can’t decide? Don’t buy it. U r a grown man.. make up ur own damn mind.)

“Which one will be worth more?”
(Buy the one u love.. can’t predict future value. Rolex sports model don’t lose value)

“Is it safe to wear”
(Most are just silly... but If ur body can handle it, ur Rolex can too)

“My watch is 4 seconds slow...”
(Seriously? Smh)

I truly hope u stick around Peter and keep everyone in check. If JJ was around, he would put everyone in proper mind set.

Good luck and best wishes !!