The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2019, 02:25 PM   #1
stainlesssteve
"TRF" Member

Daytona C loses time when running the Chronograph

Just noticed that my normally precise 116500 is now losing serious time whenever I run the Chronograph.

When running the Chronograph the watch is off by almost 45 minutes in less than 12 hours. But, when I stop the Chronograph, the watch keeps perfect time (within 1 second after 24 hours). Not sure what is going on but a trip to the RSC seems to be in my future. Curious if anyone else has observed this problem with any Daytona?

Worth noting that this watch was one of the very first delivered. Its been in regular use, on my wrist or on the winder, for almost 3 years now. Disappointed that it needs service already...

Steve
Old 25 May 2019, 02:52 PM   #2
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
I had a similar problem with mine. Just got it back from RSC and works great.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 02:54 PM   #3
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
I had a similar problem with mine. Just got it back from RSC and works great.
Any idea what the technical glitch was? I’d be interested to know.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 06:39 PM   #4
Sportwatchmania
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Mmmm interesting (not in a positief way). I have both black and white, need to check them.

116610LN - 116710BLNR - 116500LN White - 116500LN Black

Instagram: @sportwatchmania https://instagram.com/sportwatchmania/
Sportwatchmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 10:11 PM   #5
phez
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT DD40 Ice Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesssteve View Post
Just noticed that my normally precise 116500 is now losing serious time whenever I run the Chronograph.

When running the Chronograph the watch is off by almost 45 minutes in less than 12 hours. But, when I stop the Chronograph, the watch keeps perfect time (within 1 second after 24 hours). Not sure what is going on but a trip to the RSC seems to be in my future. Curious if anyone else has observed this problem with any Daytona?

Worth noting that this watch was one of the very first delivered. Its been in regular use, on my wrist or on the winder, for almost 3 years now. Disappointed that it needs service already...

Steve
Seems a trip to RSC is needed. When I had a Daytona I checked with Rolex if running the Chronograph 24/7 would impact on accuracy or power reserve. Rolex confirmed, at most it would reduce the power reserve marginally, there would be no consequential knock on effect to accuracy.

But a service might be required at 7 years rather than 10, if the watch started to show signs of erratic behaviour in its timekeeping.
Grand Seiko GMT blue dial and blue GMT hand
phez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 12:49 AM   #6
stainlesssteve
"TRF" Member

Thanks all... Will be sending it in next week
Old 26 May 2019, 12:55 AM   #7
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
I look forward to having this problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azs.77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 01:37 AM   #8
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
It is very possible that the intermediate minute counter pinion is the culprit. They can occasionally become sticky and get a little gummed up. That is a pinion that is only engaged when the chronograph is running.

As the chronograph seconds hand gets to 59 seconds it engages that pinion to advance the chronograph minute hand forward by one.

Due to it being sticky it struggles to force it forward and gets stuck. Then it eventually moves forward one but has lost time.

IMG_2845-768x719.jpg
Old 26 May 2019, 01:40 AM   #9
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton_Horologist View Post
It is very possible that the intermediate minute counter pinion is the culprit. They can occasionally become sticky and get a little gummed up. That is a pinion that is only engaged when the chronograph is running.

As the chronograph seconds hand gets to 59 seconds it engages that pinion to advance the chronograph minute hand forward by one.

Due to it being sticky it struggles to force it forward and gets stuck. Then it eventually moves forward one but has lost time.

Attachment 1044222
Is it true that Rolex has taken a minimalist approach to oiling movements now? Seems to be instances with new watches not running properly and needing to be oiled.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 01:43 AM   #10
johnjm
"TRF" Member

Winders cause wear and tear. Unless you wear it every third day I don’t understand the need for one.

Sounds like it needs a service after all that.

What do you time for 12 hours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 26 May 2019, 01:43 AM   #11
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

No, not a minimalist approach. I do wonder where these ideas come from. In fact, the minute pinion runs lubricant free. You have to remember, your watch is required to work constantly for 5-10 years straight. There is only so much room for lubricant...
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 01:44 AM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Rolex would never admit if it was a problem.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 01:46 AM   #13
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Rolex admit problems all the time. I would also like to point out that people should not be disappointed if their watches need to go back under warranty. It is a part of life. Disappointment should set in If the warranty is not honored. If warranties weren’t needed, they wouldn’t be offered. And then subsequently increased.
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 02:03 AM   #14
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Rolex admit problems all the time. I would also like to point out that people should not be disappointed if their watches need to go back under warranty. It is a part of life. Disappointment should set in If the warranty is not honored. If warranties weren’t needed, they wouldn’t be offered. And then subsequently increased.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

The only meaningful measure of the quality of a brand is what they do when things go wrong. Not how much they proclaim ‘things will never go wrong’
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:15 AM   #15
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
My Daytona would sometimes "stutter" if the chrono was running around the 60 second mark. It might pause. So when running the chrono, the watch became very slow. I took it into RSC and they said it needed lubrication and gave it a full service. Runs fine now. Watch was gone for 12 days from drop off (I happened to be in L.A.) to receipt of Fedex.
Old 26 May 2019, 03:25 AM   #16
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
This is a very accurate assessment. This fantasy that every Rolex is an absolutely perfect example is erroneous. The mere fact that they are mechanical watches means that perfection is an impossibility. Are their engineering tolerances good? Yes. Is quality control excellent? Yes. Can every part always leave the production line with a perfect amalgam of metal and tolerance? No. There will always be fluctuations in anything mechanical and, due to chain reactions, a faltering part will affect those parts around it that were previously perfect. Send the watch to RSC, you got the 1 in x’000 that isn’t or wasn’t perfect and, something within failed over time. For every one that does fail there are x,000 that don’t. In the world of mechanics thats good going, especially since mechanics is always a scenario where failure is eventually imminent.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:46 AM   #17
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Steve
This happened to one of my older daytonas, I was given a service (under warranty) and all was good.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:53 AM   #18
Todd Turbo S
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex, PAM
I had a similar problem with my older Daytona. Took a couple of times in service to correct, to this day, it runs very slow, it’s a 1997 Daytona
Todd Turbo S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 12:39 PM   #19
BT1985
"TRF" Member

RSC will get you sorted out. Glad that you wear it though. It’s sad that I was surprised to see a Daytona thread that addresses functionality...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 12:53 PM   #20
911NBK
Banned

Watch: A Rolex
Quote:

Attachment 1044222
Great post, thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
911NBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 12:58 PM   #21
stainlesssteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm View Post
Winders cause wear and tear. Unless you wear it every third day I don’t understand the need for one.

Sounds like it needs a service after all that.

What do you time for 12 hours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, How about the 24 Hours of Daytona?
Old 26 May 2019, 01:15 PM   #22
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Attachment 1044222
Great info
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 01:29 PM   #23
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
No, not a minimalist approach. I do wonder where these ideas come from. In fact, the minute pinion runs lubricant free. You have to remember, your watch is required to work constantly for 5-10 years straight. There is only so much room for lubricant...
I was told this by a well respected CW21 watchmaker. But he did not elaborate, so take it for what it's worth
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:48 PM   #24
johnjm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, How about the 24 Hours of Daytona?
I didn't know he raced in it. Apologies

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 26 May 2019, 09:25 PM   #25
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
I was told this by a well respected CW21 watchmaker. But he did not elaborate, so take it for what it's worth
Sometimes people make mistakes; whether it is the person assembling the movement or the designers misjudged how much or what type of lubrication a new movement would require. Human error happens.

But generally speaking Rolex use a more liberal quantity of lubrication than other brands.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote