The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 April 2018, 12:52 AM   #91
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt122 View Post
No more than bmw or a mercedes.
Standard of living is improving broadly. 0% rates, low unemployment. Rise of the Asian bloc...dollar deval. High asset prices Home price recovery. Etc
thats where i disagree. From a purely economic sense the gap is widening at a significant rate and has been for some time for the richest people vs the middle class. I do think the overall trend in luxury goods and price increases (not only watches) is more a reflection on the economic reality of the world we live in. So yeah, i think these items (at least at market prices) are increasingly out of reach of most. They were always expensive but they were more attainable than today.

You don't have to be rich to own a Rolex on a individual level, the trend however is in a macro sense. There are always going to be people who will make their luxury watch a reality and thats not what i am referring to.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2018, 12:57 AM   #92
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Had to save a bit but will last a life time , if in ten years I sold my SD I’m sure I would be able to buy a DJ to see my days out and then leave to kids so good value
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2018, 01:03 AM   #93
Xerxes77
Banned

I don’t know if Rolex it’s for rich people but I’m sure it’s not for poor people.
I think Rolex have still models who can be buy for a decent price 5-6 k.
If we think on other luxury watch brand on this amount you can buy anything.
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2018, 01:05 AM   #94
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Not if I can own a few. I’m far from rich..LOL !!!

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2018, 02:34 AM   #95
MinMay
Banned

A rich person is someone who doesn't need to work and live a lavish lifestyle.

I need to work so I'm far from rich. :)
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2018, 11:16 AM   #96
arosado
Banned

Watch: Rolex, AP & Omega
It's for people with "disposable income", not necessarily rich people.
arosado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2018, 11:53 AM   #97
Dayton ssb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona ss b
It all depends on what you want to spend your money on. I own a Rolly, but think that spending $100.00 on a couple of cocktails every week is unheard of. Conversely, people would never buy a Rolly, but will easily spend 200 bucks a week on a bar tab.. I think if you have a job, and really want one, you can make it happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dayton ssb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2018, 12:29 PM   #98
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
thats where i disagree. From a purely economic sense the gap is widening at a significant rate and has been for some time for the richest people vs the middle class. I do think the overall trend in luxury goods and price increases (not only watches) is more a reflection on the economic reality of the world we live in. So yeah, i think these items (at least at market prices) are increasingly out of reach of most. They were always expensive but they were more attainable than today.

You don't have to be rich to own a Rolex on a individual level, the trend however is in a macro sense. There are always going to be people who will make their luxury watch a reality and thats not what i am referring to.
Yes the gap is widening, Richest vs middle class. But standard of wealth isn’t exactly deteriorating for middle class globally. White collar workers in finance/ Wall Street maybe less rich and the UK with Brexit but main street is doing just fine. There is a shortage of labor in US at least.

Also Inflation targeting by central banks have lead to low to non existant rates which allow for access to luxury goods. And I know for a fact Asian countries have gotten 10-20% wealthier in past year simply from the appreciation of their currencies. So lots of people are able to pay for 10k watches.
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote