The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2018, 06:37 PM   #31
exador
Banned

Interesting comment from Bob’s Watches:

“On the topic of said bezel, it’s always a bit of a surprise to see the distinct difference between stock imagery and actual product when it comes to colors. In the stock photos the bezel of the new release appears to be fairly dark and muted, whereas in person they are a fair bit more vibrant, and more notably more true-to-original spec of Pepsi bezel GMTs of the past”.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 06:40 PM   #32
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Then again...

thats a great pic
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 07:01 PM   #33
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Just like many of these "reviews" based on probably 5 minutes handling (or often simply picked up from press kits) its full of odd comments, such as:

"The last time we saw a Pepsi-bezel GMT like this on a jubilee bracelet it was only available in white gold"

I'm pretty sure the last pepsi/jubilee combination was SS (albeit an aluminium bezel)

and

"owners will not be able to swap this bracelet to an Oyster bracelet, should they wish to. While I’m sure Rolex has their reasons for this, it does seem like a bit of a foolish move on their part"

There's nothing foolish about Rolex trying not to piss off WG BLRO owners even more, surely?

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 07:16 PM   #34
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
I don’t mind the bezel colours. In fact, if it’s the same as the WG version, I like it.
I just can’t handle the bracelet.
If the ss PepC had been released on a brushed oyster things would have really been interesting.
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 07:27 PM   #35
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

I don't think it is a Homerun, more like a stand up triple. The bezel color and bracelet hold it back. If they had come out with a Coke bezel with true colors on an Oyster, that would have been a Homerun.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 07:31 PM   #36
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
There is obviously a ton of buzz on this piece. I'm intrigued by it. I certainly called my AD the morning of the announcement to get my name on the list. I'm also looking forward to seeing it firsthand next month at a special event.

That being said, it's a bit of a stretch to call it a "home run" mainly due to the bezel. This forum isn't the only place I've heard people taking issue with the ceramic Pepsi bezel from the WG model. I'm sure the feedback has made it back to Rolex HQ. That being said, wouldn't the release of a new SS model be enough of a reason for them to go back to lab and continue fine tuning its production? For them to release a new product with the exact same bezel that already exists (which has received mixed reception) just seems a bit "lazy" to me.
What special event do they preview thes hot models
avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 07:32 PM   #37
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
This review will increase the length of my wait of this watch by another 2 years :(
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 07:44 PM   #38
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avega357 View Post
What special event do they preview thes hot models
most AD's get demo models for customers to preview. If you are not on your AD's mailing list then stop by to ask. In London all the AD's get the watches for a couple of days and they move on to the next AD. Its like a tour.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 29 March 2018, 09:27 PM   #39
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Not a home run more like a game winning Grand Slam in game 7 of the World Series.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 09:33 PM   #40
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
I like the colors. But I am significantly color blind.
Old 29 March 2018, 09:46 PM   #41
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

I’m surprised that the watch in the article isn’t a “10:11” dummy watch. Usually, actually always, at this stage, that’s what the test models are for bloggers and reviewers.

May suggest the readiness of allocation.
Dusko.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 09:53 PM   #42
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Yep, still purple to me. I'm not getting used to it.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 10:48 PM   #43
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
There is obviously a ton of buzz on this piece. I'm intrigued by it. I certainly called my AD the morning of the announcement to get my name on the list. I'm also looking forward to seeing it firsthand next month at a special event.

That being said, it's a bit of a stretch to call it a "home run" mainly due to the bezel. This forum isn't the only place I've heard people taking issue with the ceramic Pepsi bezel from the WG model. I'm sure the feedback has made it back to Rolex HQ. That being said, wouldn't the release of a new SS model be enough of a reason for them to go back to lab and continue fine tuning its production? For them to release a new product with the exact same bezel that already exists (which has received mixed reception) just seems a bit "lazy" to me.

I’m going to drift away from the populous here and say that I’m okay with the bezel color being different. I look at the new Pepsi as just another new watch. If I want an “original” Pepsi a 16710 is easy enough to find. I think from looking at real pictures of the watch that despite it being a bit more “purple” it’s still a strikingly beautiful watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 March 2018, 10:51 PM   #44
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorter_008 View Post
"In the stock photos the bezel of the new release appears to be fairly dark and muted, whereas in person they are a fair bit more vibrant, and more notably more true-to-original spec of Pepsi bezel GMTs of the past." Nice...
changes with lighting, brighter out more cranberry darker more red

awesome always..
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 10:58 PM   #45
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Bob doesn't decide, and Hodinkee doesn't decide, only TRF decides, we are the most influential watch forum/blog by miles. And so far it is a huge hit here. There is always criticism on a new Basel release when is not exactly what we were predicting and so on that given basis this will be a very successful release.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 11:01 PM   #46
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Bob doesn't decide, and Hodinkee doesn't decide, only TRF decides, we are the most influential watch forum/blog by miles. And so far it is a huge hit here. There is always criticism on a new Basel release when is not exactly what we were predicting and so on that given basis this will be a very successful release.
you only say that because you are in the top 5 in post count... TRF is influential therefore Neil is.

Old 29 March 2018, 11:06 PM   #47
MCOSUB
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Man View Post
I don't think it is a Homerun, more like a stand up triple. The bezel color and bracelet hold it back. If they had come out with a Coke bezel with true colors on an Oyster, that would have been a Homerun.
If this watch follows the same thinking at the JC DSSD, think I am going to hold out a few years until they do the "update" on this watch with the true colors and oyster bracelet.
Rolex Deep Blue Deep Sea Dweller 116660
Oris Great Barrier Reef #845/1000
MCOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 11:11 PM   #48
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Then again...

Yeah, I would say Rolex hit it out of the park!
Old 29 March 2018, 11:16 PM   #49
lhawli
"TRF" Member

SS BLRO "Pepsi" is being called a Homerun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Man View Post
100%

Even if I end up getting the BLRO I will be holding off a few years and see how it stacks up over the course. In the mean time I will continue to enjoy my BLNR and be hopefully for a Coke with a rich red and black combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 11:22 PM   #50
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
At the end of the day it doesn't make one bit of difference what the colors are. These will still be in high demand. You still won't be able to get one unless you spend lots and lots of money at your AD or pay a big premium for a "pre-owned" piece secondhand. Us "commoners" will be waiting for the red hand GMT LN
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 11:26 PM   #51
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR|LVC|PAM 911
I saw it in person at Baselworld. Its the same bezel as the previous WG BLRO. Under yellow light, its more plum/cranberry. Outside its more blue and red. Imo- it looks good but isn't perfect.
Pattyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 11:29 PM   #52
el-heffe
"TRF" Member

Both are beautiful watches but neither speaks to me. The BLRO looks ok but the jubilee just kills it for me. It doesn't look right on that particular watch. I think it looks fine on the BLNR or even the LVc (gasp) but I don't like it on the BLRO.
el-heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 11:31 PM   #53
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Pros know how to use Photoshop.
Pros also know how to manipulate light. I have talked to a couple of people who have seen the new release up close and personal. I get a consist vibe that the colors totally depend on what light source (incandescent, fluorescent, LED, sun, etc) and what angle to the light source you hold the bezel. This really isn't a surprise, to me anyway, considering how a LVc changes, certain hour and minute hands on a couple of my watches change, blah blah blah. Some will love it, some will hate it. I'm on a list, pole position if you will, and I will hold my opinion until i have seen it f2F.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 11:35 PM   #54
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Pros also know how to manipulate light. I have talked to a couple of people who have seen the new release up close and personal. I get a consist vibe that the colors totally depend on what light source (incandescent, fluorescent, LED, sun, etc) and what angle to the light source you hold the bezel. This really isn't a surprise, to me anyway, considering how a LVc changes, certain hour and minute hands on a couple of my watches change, blah blah blah. Some will love it, some will hate it. I'm on a list, pole position if you will, and I will hold my opinion until i have seen it f2F.
You're right, all ceramic bezels differ depending on the light source and intensity. It doesn't always look what some call purple, just as any LN bezel doesn't always look grey. All ceramic bezels Rolex makes intensify in color depth under the natural sunlight. It's been like this for over 10 years now and everyone still seems shocked
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 11:41 PM   #55
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Yes. Home run.
Old 29 March 2018, 11:41 PM   #56
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I don't care what they say, this is not blue it's purple!

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 11:55 PM   #57
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Man that is a sweet combo right there! I think I need the TT as well!
I'm gonna have to see that TT in person. The brown color could be hit or miss for me.

I also feel like the TT would look awesome on a brushed all SS case. Maybe I'll put something together.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 11:58 PM   #58
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
It's been like this for over 10 years now and everyone still seems shocked
I know.....Shocking, isn't it.

E-
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 12:28 AM   #59
nello
"TRF" Member

Maybe I missed it, or no one cares. Any pictures of the clasp? Anywhere?
nello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 12:35 AM   #60
GolfJunkie

Watch: 252
I actually really like the look of the pink/purple looking bezel.
GolfJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote