The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 May 2019, 05:07 AM   #31
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
They grey market IS the true market value. MSRP is a good customer discount. Try buying a Dodge Demon sometime. They sell used for $40k over MSRP and it’s been like that for years.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 05:15 AM   #32
tomallen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SubC,GMTIIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtalk View Post
Good point, but the innocent person who just wants to actually celebrate 25 years of marriage and thier husbands 50th get left out...
Or the first time buyer that wants the" AD experience" and gets turned off the Rolex brand with the new "AD experience", when told go grey and pay more.

'
Old 12 May 2019, 05:21 AM   #33
jaroush
"TRF" Member

The fake scarcity is stupid and totally disrespectful of customers. The grey market is a terrible solution for a first time buyer. Many of these supposedly reputable “trusted sellers” are not reliable as people think. Buyer beware. Losing respect for Rolex in a hurry, other houses make better watches and actually respect their customers.
jaroush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 05:51 AM   #34
ellio32
"TRF" Member

I’m actually quite surprised by how many members on this forum are triggered by the words “ sad state of affairs”. Sadness is relative and these kinds of situations are in fact sad to many. Rolex used to be the brand that many middle class men could aspire to own. Also, in regards to the comments of “jumping the line”, there shouldn’t be a line in the first place. We’re talking about mass produced watches.
ellio32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 05:58 AM   #35
Seafox0814
"TRF" Member

Can't put a price or value on time.

It's not impossible to source a TT bluesy sub or even a TT CHNR from an AD. If you can drop $10k on a watch stretch a little more and pass on SS. At least you can have a Rolex now or in 4 months vs. years of beating your head against the wall.
Seafox0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 06:00 AM   #36
ellio32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
I wouldn't say sad, maybe annoying if anything. They just happen to want an item that thousands of other people are also lining up for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Just because you see something online doesn't mean it's available. Same for those who want a Birkin bag, Ford F40, many different models of Ferrari.... Besides, many ADs are incredibly UNreliabe nowadays. Rolex needs to remove AD status, especially from chain stores.
I think this is partially true but believe you may be missing a key point. In the case of Rolex I think it’s fair to say that almost all of their SS sports models advertised on their website are not readily available. This is not the same for companies like Ford. Imagine if not one Ford sports car or one Ford truck advertised on their website was readily available. It’s also hardly fair to compare Rolex with Hermès or Ferrari. These brands are much more in line with Patek Phillippe and Audemars Piguet.
Old 12 May 2019, 06:08 AM   #37
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
Indeed, this is very sad. It reminds me of the time I wanted my son to have a Tickle Me Elmo, for Christmas. I had the money and was ready to pay, but the stores were all sold out. At the same time, people were selling the doll, in the classified ads, for hundreds and hundreds of dollars! Tyco Preschool was obviously playing games, because you couldn’t buy one at any store!
siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 06:20 AM   #38
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I called my ad. Who said there was no chance... Try the grey market they said..

That's how to get new SS sport watches nowaday or just wait ... until you hit your lotto at the AD.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 06:30 AM   #39
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Sad? That they can't buy a watch? If that's all they have to be sad about they are very fortunate indeed.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 06:32 AM   #40
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
50 and 25 calls for a Patek ... oh wait
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 06:47 AM   #41
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
The explorer II is now $700 or so over list now on grey, (last year I bought brand new w/ stickers for $600 under from david). The only steel left that isn't at a premium is the yacht master. I agree OP, this sucks.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 06:50 AM   #42
nicon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Speedmaster or Navitimer would be equally great gift for someone from the air force.
nicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 06:52 AM   #43
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Sorry, I don't feel sorry for anyone who can't buy a Rolex. I save that for real problems.
Real talk but an occasion like this which sounds like an out of character one off buy for these guys deserves a little sympathy.

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 06:56 AM   #44
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicon View Post
Speedmaster or Navitimer would be equally great gift for someone from the air force.
...or even a nice Thunderbird or a Turn-O-Graph.

Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 07:06 AM   #45
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
This is the main reason I've washed my hands of Rolex. I will keep the examples I have, but I won't pay over the odds for more. Its not the money itself, it's that the watches simply aren't worth over list price, not to me anyway.
This

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 07:17 AM   #46
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Increase the retail on the sport rollies ,substantially.There will be stock at the AD,or more sensible waiting periods.
If you cant (and shouldnt) produce more and demand is high,increase the retail pricing.
If demand drops in the future you can give discounts again,like it used to be .
Simple
Ta-ta flipper/grey dealer/package deals and other kinds of current rubbish .

Come on Rolex,don't let the Greys determine your market value,do it yourself !!!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 07:30 AM   #47
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
It really is a sad state of affairs for first time buyers wanting a SS Rolex. Without a previous AD relationship there are only two options. Grey or wait list at an AD that is willing to put you on this list. As others have often mentioned, you may get lucky in a smaller AD in a smaller center.
It’s not a sad state of affairs. What if she wanted to get him a LE Omega Speedy Pro, a PP Chrono or Nautilus or any number of in demand luxury watches? A little research would show you can’t walk into any dealer and find these watches in the showcase. It’s a wonderful thought and gesture but not realistic.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 07:48 AM   #48
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
It is a lot, i mean a lot, better than Omega or Hublot way where you can buy anything anytime.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 08:07 AM   #49
RBradleigh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
Exactly

Quote:
Sorry for the long winded title...

And this is in not new news to those who are keen followers on here.

Yet, today I was saddened...

A life long friend is just turning 50 and also celebrating 25 years of marriage. And his wife wanted to buy him a Rolex GMT master, as he is in the Air Force..

So he messaged me to ask the best place to get one, as they were both real excited after looking at the Rolex website....

And today we sat and had coffee whilst looking at the website...

I called my ad. Who said there was no chance... Try the grey market they said..

And his wife said; " what's the point of the website then, showing all the sports models...if you can't buy one...."

I thought it sad, that a person who wants to treat thier husband with a nice watch, can't....unless they go into the Grey market and pay extra...
I think the exact same thing. What is the point of the website if one can't really buy one. I think the same thing when I see the Rolex catalogue book displayed in an AD or a billboard on the highway or an airport display. Almost as good as the website telling you the place to get a Rolex timepiece is at one of their ADs, quite laughable. However you, the next person and everyone else are all after a GMT. Perhaps find yourself another unless that is the one which you truly "love" and will make you happy. Best of luck
RBradleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 08:11 AM   #50
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

There's simply too much talk about Rolex and price/availability. And that sums it up.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 08:29 AM   #51
bezler
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko has a great selection of wonderful GMT watches. High quality, excellent attractive finishing - very special in every way. No availability issues. A brand new one could be winging its way to your door at a nice discount with a simple phone call to an AD. You would be hard pressed to find a better watch anywhere, and the value is unbeatable.

What a great gift that would be!
Old 12 May 2019, 08:49 AM   #52
ellio32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman39 View Post
Don't try to tell us that the Watch you are looking for is "NOT" Available. After reading hundreds and hundreds of Posts Cry Babying about Rolex needs to do this or that. Rolex makes almost a Million Watches a year. Just a "Wild Guess", they must know something about what they are doing! Someone,some where is buying all those watches. It might be in Tibet, but, someone is buying those watches. All the Crying about the greys getting everything make me laugh. I wanted a "Hulk". The four AD's I checked had none. I bought it from a Dreaded Grey. Yes, I got Hosed. I paid $10,500 as New ! Box,Papers, Plastic Card, Stickers the whole nine yards. If all you boys and girls think I cried the night I received my watch because I spent $1000 over MSRP You folks are sadly mistaken. I slept with that Watch. It's a beater now. The watch is 17 months old.I am Happy, I have exactly what I want. Come on Friends and Neighbors "GET OFF THE WALLET". All you guys who Refuse to pay one penny over MSRP need to go get a Pap Smear! I have my Watch. You have your Pride. I guess that makes us both "Happy".

Easy, retiree.
Old 12 May 2019, 10:17 AM   #53
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
I was in a AD today in New Orleans and while I was looking at the display of empty watches i can’t help but think that this is hurting the brand long term. If you were new to watches and just wanted to check out what each brand carried, I would walk right on past Rolex and check out what other brands had to offer. It’s funny how people post on this thread and others they are glad they are hard to find, maybe I’m into watches for the wrong reason but I liked being able to go to a AD and buy most sport models.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 10:53 AM   #54
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
Thanks buddy! Hey, I'd give away a limb for a nice birth year 5513 so you have a sweet collection going yourself!

It's funny. I came to Rolex collecting late (just a couple years ago). I started, like so many, with Breitling and Omega. Had a pretty nice sampling of them, and a couple Zeniths and NOMOS as well. Was on business in Switzerland in early 2017 and walked into an AD there and instantly fell in love with a Hulk. On display. They had piles in the back they said. Heh. I bought it. Few months later bought the Milgauss. Then over two years sold off every other watch I had to finance this modest collection. Rolex collecting - when you start it's an addiction!

Also, I could kick myself for slow rolling the move to Rolex over a couple year period! If I just would have bought everything I loved 2 years ago instead of doing it slowly I would have saved 10 grand or more! Oh well. I have had fun assembling it! What a good clean hobby. Keeps me out of the bars. Sometimes.
Cheers buddy, thanks for the compliments on the 5513, it was sort of a grail and that weird feeling knowing that when you arrived in the world, someone bought the watch you now have on your wrist. Some people don’t get it, and I accept their views, but to me its the peak of brand recognition as a collector

I say again, great collection! My only advice, get an AP Chrono. I bought mine on a whim but, its truly a remarkable piece.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:31 AM   #55
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezler View Post
Grand Seiko has a great selection of wonderful GMT watches. High quality, excellent attractive finishing - very special in every way. No availability issues. A brand new one could be winging its way to your door at a nice discount with a simple phone call to an AD. You would be hard pressed to find a better watch anywhere, and the value is unbeatable.

What a great gift that would be!
An excellent suggestion. However Grand Seiko for most has a minute fraction of the cache of a Rolex and for many that's very important.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:37 AM   #56
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
An excellent suggestion. However Grand Seiko for most has a minute fraction of the cache of a Rolex and for many that's very important.
Grand Seiko is a little like the top of the range hyundai. It’s probably as dynamically competent as a Mercedes, maybe as fast as a Mercedes and, can even look like a Mercedes to the untrained eye, however, it isn’t a Mercedes nor does it have the Mercedes emblem.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:43 AM   #57
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Sorry, I don't feel sorry for anyone who can't buy a Rolex. I save that for real problems.
X2. It is a want. Not a need in any way, shape or form.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 12:00 PM   #58
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
If it were not for the stupid prices SS were commanding, I would never have come to terms with PM pricing. The crazy SS prices made PM look like a bargain to me so that is what I decided to get.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 12:29 PM   #59
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
This has all kind of helped me...no watches in the AD means no temptation.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 01:28 PM   #60
galveston22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
It's not really sad. I get what you're trying to say, but why should this couple jump in front of the line of every other individual who is waiting for the watch? They can wait like everyone else or buy it gray market. A lot of people buying these watches have something special to celebrate, not just this couple.

This is such a horrible idea. It would screw over anyone who buys a Rolex brand new as it would immediately cause them to be worth significantly less as soon as you walk out of the store. There's a very good reason that warranties on not just watches, but also cars, guns and other items, are transferrable -- it adds value to the piece. I would not have bought any of my Rolex watches if the warranty was not transferable. Retained value is very important for a lot of us.

Sounds like something a flipper would say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
galveston22 is offline   Reply With Quote