The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 May 2019, 01:39 PM   #61
Cesium137
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Sad? That they can't buy a watch? If that's all they have to be sad about they are very fortunate indeed.
Thank you for saying this....
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 01:44 PM   #62
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
An excellent suggestion. However Grand Seiko for most has a minute fraction of the cache of a Rolex and for many that's very important.
That's a very good point. It doesn't work for everyone, you've got to know your man. But it's definitely worth running the idea by the mother-in-law.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 12 May 2019, 01:51 PM   #63
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Grand Seiko is a little like the top of the range hyundai. It’s probably as dynamically competent as a Mercedes, maybe as fast as a Mercedes and, can even look like a Mercedes to the untrained eye, however, it isn’t a Mercedes nor does it have the Mercedes emblem.
All the things I love about Rolex are the same reasons that I'd never consider a Mercedes. I like quality and value, but quality is number one, and it's absolutely non-negotiable.

At least here in the US, Mercedes is synonymous with poor quality and poor value. And "luxury." It's a brand to laugh at. It's a brand where experienced men take young men aside, and quietly explain why their Mercedes mistake has been hammering their finances, and what will happen over the ensuing years if they don't move to quality. That's multi-generational mentorship and bonding.
Old 12 May 2019, 01:51 PM   #64
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
This is the main reason I've washed my hands of Rolex. I will keep the examples I have, but I won't pay over the odds for more. Its not the money itself, it's that the watches simply aren't worth over list price, not to me anyway.

Agree sadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 01:58 PM   #65
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Where is the fun if you can buy what you like anytime ?
Old 12 May 2019, 02:28 PM   #66
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezler View Post
All the things I love about Rolex are the same reasons that I'd never consider a Mercedes. I like quality and value, but quality is number one, and it's absolutely non-negotiable.

At least here in the US, Mercedes is synonymous with poor quality and poor value. And "luxury." It's a brand to laugh at. It's a brand where experienced men take young men aside, and quietly explain why their Mercedes mistake has been hammering their finances, and what will happen over the ensuing years if they don't move to quality. That's multi-generational mentorship and bonding.
I agree. I've always felt like the car equivalent of Rolex would be Lexus. They make great, reliable luxury vehicles that are super durable. Sure a Lexus isn't a Bentley, but a Rolex isn't a Patek.
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 02:30 PM   #67
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve099 View Post
If it were not for the stupid prices SS were commanding, I would never have come to terms with PM pricing. The crazy SS prices made PM look like a bargain to me so that is what I decided to get.
The next shortage is going to be the PM shortage. Just when I've finally come to terms with picking up a WG Daytona on Oysterflex instead of a SS DaytonaC from a gray, the PM Daytona is sold out everywhere.
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 03:18 PM   #68
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
2. Citizens of China and other upwardly mobile economies fall out of love with luxury items like Rolex. As neither 1 nor 2 will happen, we should all get used to the new normal.
Exactly. It won't happen. I see a growing amount of people in China wearing rolex everywhere - all provinces, not only Shanghai/Beijing.
Mostly Datejust with diamond dials (blingy), a lot of TT. Many sports models on the wrist of the younger generations.

Counting in USD, China has 3.4 Million millionaires, and growing fast.
They ALL want a Rolex. Rolex only makes 800,000 watches a year.
I let you draw the conclusion....

:-/
Chrislec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 03:27 PM   #69
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislec View Post

They ALL want a Rolex.

/
Rolex tourist shopping all over the world
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 03:42 PM   #70
Hercmax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Grand Seiko is a little like the top of the range hyundai. It’s probably as dynamically competent as a Mercedes, maybe as fast as a Mercedes and, can even look like a Mercedes to the untrained eye, however, it isn’t a Mercedes nor does it have the Mercedes emblem.
I wouldn't put it in the same basket as Hyundai but more like a Lexus. Much like what Toyota did to the car industry, Seiko shook up the watch industry and became the largest manufacturer of watches and Grand Seiko did what the Nissan GTR did to some established marques at our Bathurst motor race nearly 30 years ago (and consequently banned the car), like what the Swiss did and disbanded the "chronometer olympics" when they got the wake up call.

Sadly, Grand Seiko can't get away from the stigma associated with its lower end range of watches under Seiko and will always be burdened by it to the general public. On the flip side, it doesn't have the stigtma associated with Rolex and the insufferable owner image. I know it's "buy and wear what you like" but we don't live in isolation and we're kidding ourselves if we don't believe, at least subconsciously, that we aren't projecting our self image in our watch choice.

Just a further note, to the untrained eye, a Grand Seiko may look about on par to a Rolex. To a trained eye or under a loupe however, they are a league above the fabled Crown.
Hercmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 10:03 PM   #71
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
Let her buy a vacation instead. Much better for all parties and so much more memorable.

The most important things in life are not objects, but experience real life with others.
Have to agree. Given state of affairs.
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 10:20 PM   #72
timedate
-

why dont rolex just match the grey price?

more profit for rolex

i would have thought seeing their products double the price would *iss them off

who would have thought that buying a watch would be so pretentious?
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 10:30 PM   #73
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post
why dont rolex just match the grey price?

more profit for rolex

i would have thought seeing their products double the price would *iss them off

who would have thought that buying a watch would be so pretentious?
Demand would go down... the key is to gain a life time customer not a one night wonder.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 10:50 PM   #74
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Demand would go down... the key is to gain a life time customer not a one night wonder.
For some reason many people tend to assume that if a small % of watches are sold through grays for 2X MSRP that means Rolex could double their MSRP and still ALL their pieces at this price. I don't know why people think this.
Old 12 May 2019, 11:06 PM   #75
Jacentito
"TRF" Member

I find it interesting that most of the comments here about the sad state of affairs come by folks with multiple watches listed in their signature. Not an indictment but just an observation.
Jacentito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:13 PM   #76
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
For some reason many people tend to assume that if a small % of watches are sold through grays for 2X MSRP that means Rolex could double their MSRP and still ALL their pieces at this price. I don't know why people think this.
Not sure why peoplethink that... if a SS rolex cost me 25k. Im going Patek all day long
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:19 PM   #77
Ruddiger
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Howdy,

I was fortunate enough to get the bug back in 2014 when I could still walk into my local ADs and actually see all, or most, of the watches that were available.

Flash forward to today and there really isn't much to see, other than the plethora of OPs and Datejusts. Even PM models are scarce in Ohio, although that is driven more by lack of demand for that price point.

My AD is very anti-flipper and only sells new models to customers they know who actually keep their watches. For me thats been great, but for the daily callers (they get at least one an hour) the conversations are always disappointing.

Sadly, all of the nonsense Rolex has done to inconvenience legitimate customers (removing stickers, keeping warranty cards, etc) has done nothing to deter the gray market and only serves to inconvenience their real customers.

No doubt, it's a bubble and it has to burst at sometime. When it does, things will get better for the core consumer who loves the brand for all the right reasons.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Ruddiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 01:09 AM   #78
Zack1978
"TRF" Member

Is David SW actually selling the BLNR at $23,875? I know it's advertised at that number, but is he actually moving inventory?
Zack1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 03:39 AM   #79
timedate
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post

they will never make me a lifetime customer,

it took me until nearly 50 until i got one, i dont tend to be one for that long

its just a really nice watch, people need to get over it.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 04:11 AM   #80
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Agree it is difficult to digest. A nice watch is a great way to punctuate the milestones of marriage and a significant birthday.

There are many great brands out there that could mark the occasion and having a friend in you is a big leg up to finding a perfect alternative... or they could bite the bullet like so many others and you can point them to a grade A gray dealer so they don’t have to navigate those unfamiliar waters.

After 25 years of being together, they have each proven their resourcefulness at resolving problems and finding compromise, navigating the current watch market should be a bunt for them. Congratulations to your friends on their significant anniversary!
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 04:13 AM   #81
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

And today i was at Chatsworth Horse trials- (big horse event in the UK) and there was a Bremont shop;
they had virtually all the models; try them on, super refreshing....
Old 13 May 2019, 04:16 AM   #82
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Sad? That they can't buy a watch? If that's all they have to be sad about they are very fortunate indeed.
I get this;

My wife was killed;

so i know the true value of watches; but i thought it sad that a couple cant just celebrate just one small thing...
Old 15 May 2019, 05:51 PM   #83
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
The harsh and sad reality of modern steel Rolex sports watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtalk View Post
And today i was at Chatsworth Horse trials- (big horse event in the UK) and there was a Bremont shop;
they had virtually all the models; try them on, super refreshing....

That’s my old neck of the woods, Steve. Were I still in the U.K., I’d likely have seen you there! A long time back, I used to do some agricultural contracting for the 11th Duke.

Speaking of Bremont, did you ever get an Endurance?

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 05:55 PM   #84
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Annoying sure but it is not a human right to be able to buy a Rolex GMT at MSRP.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 06:08 PM   #85
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

Unless the trading standards do something about it, at least stop these ADs from false advertising watches they don’t bloody have on their website. Total bs
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 12:55 PM   #86
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
So sorry about your loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtalk View Post
I get this;

My wife was killed;

so i know the true value of watches; but i thought it sad that a couple cant just celebrate just one small thing...
If anyone gets it...it would be you...and i agree it’s clearly a milestone and likely lifelong ambition...nothing wrong with that or feeling bad that they can’t get a Rolex.
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 01:27 PM   #87
ernie2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K+BLNR
I am so fed up with the rolex marketing "technique" and has given up. I am moving on to AP and PP now
ernie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 01:31 PM   #88
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Problem won't last forever. Rolex is slowly taking their products out of independent jewelers starting with those who made the least investment in the branded area of their stores. Eventually they'll pull the brand from all of them, open their own stores and you'll be able to buy whatever you want at MSRP. Bye, gray market and hello double profits. Watch.
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 01:33 PM   #89
familyguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislec View Post

They ALL want a Rolex. Rolex only makes 800,000 watches a year.
I let you draw the conclusion....

:-/
That's it?! Only 3.4 million? I totally foresee that number exploding upwards in the years to come.
familyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 01:41 PM   #90
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie2 View Post
I am so fed up with the rolex marketing "technique" and has given up. I am moving on to AP and PP now

Yeah, but that’s a leap from budget perspective as well.

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote