The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 May 2019, 10:57 PM   #31
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
Not tacky but get it for your brother to “rent” for next 20 years. I got into watches as I was I wanted to give my son something that can last a lifetime. Honestly I wanted a watch haha. Who knows if he will want it in 15-20 years. If he will appreciate the watch great it’s his, but if he could care less I will get him something else.

Now AD or gray does not matter but in today’s world not sure you are gonna get a deal from a gray. Now if you can get it by June from an AD do it, but if you can’t and a gray has a new one at MSRP do that. Now I would not pay above MSRP from a gray. If above MSRP wait and get from an AD. For a sub I would think the wait would be less than a year maybe give it for the kids first bday?

Good Luck
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 11:17 PM   #32
jblay
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the great replies. I have no doubt he'd keep it forever, so not worried about that. He is a casual diver, when time allows, so that is why I was aiming for the sub. He is a watch guy, but lets just say I know he's not joining TFR anytime soon - which is why the speedo / seamaster / tudor are a bit harder to give as a present without explaining what it is. Whatever I end up with (pending chat with my AD), the true battle begins shortly...explaining why my brother got a green box to my wife ;)
jblay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 11:22 PM   #33
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Family heirlooms come from all kinds of sources. That's a part of the interest.They could have been inherited, gifted, bought new, stolen, won in a card game, found, and so on... What difference does it make? Do you want your dad's uncle's, grandfather's etc. watch, regardless of where it came from, or not?

On reflection, I suppose there could be people who, if gifted a luxury watch of great value by a sibling, which turns out to be second hand (and even more expensive than MSRP), might be underwhelmed. In which case, keep your money and spend it on someone who appreciates the generosity and spirit of your gift.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 11:38 PM   #34
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think the name on the card matters. If anything when it is passed down in the future it would be part of the story haha. "This was purchased during the great Rolex shortage and my family had to go on the secondary market to get this specific piece"
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 11:49 PM   #35
khrystyan
"TRF" Member

Before the internet age, crooks and hobos used to draw symbols on the walls to alert their associates. Hoboglyphs came in all shapes and forms; a circle with a cross in the middle meant the place was good for a handout. An upside down triangle meant the area was full of hobos. A sideways T pointing to the left and with circles in each side meant you were a sucker.

Since you’re considering going the way of the gray, exercise all due diligence and be cautious. TONS of heartless scammers out there who have probably already read your post (as well as your signing date/post count) and assessed you as an easy mark. Good luck.
khrystyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 11:49 PM   #36
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
I sent you a PM. I can help you out if you need a hand obtaining the sub with open card. I have given several watches as gifts over the years and I really don't think you can give someone a better gift than a luxury watch that will last a lifetime and beyond. Plus the look on their faces have always been priceless!
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 11:54 PM   #37
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by W1N View Post
Lol, timing.

Not accusing socalwatchcollector (no offence dude) or anything, just found that funny.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 12:17 AM   #38
jblay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1N View Post
Lol, timing.

Not accusing socalwatchcollector (no offence dude) or anything, just found that funny.
Brutal timing. I appreciate all the warnings - I have a decent relationship with my local AD, so hoping that works out, but sadly can't seem to count on that these days, I'm sure there is some bigger fish out there that NEEDS a sub more than me. Mostly I don't want to burn the "favor" of paying full price for a watch on a sub as the grey premium isn't as unreasonable...at least compared to others out there paying 2x msrp!
Old 16 May 2019, 01:01 AM   #39
Ungucpho
"TRF" Member

I’d go open warranty card so his son’s name can be on it. In 20 years it won’t matter but if it’s an heirloom, the small details count
Ungucpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 01:20 AM   #40
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Why is going grey tacky for a present? The watch is the more important item not who it was purchased from. All 3 of my kids birth watches were from a grey.

1. AP RO with open name & dated birth year
2. AP RO skeleton in RG open papers and dated on my sons birth date (AP couldn't get it in time)
3. Patek 5168g blue another persons name and purchased in Japan but right birth year. Was impossible to get a new one with open papers in time for my son to be born. (answer was not going to happen from multiple PP ADs)

Is it cool that I was able to get a new watch in my sons name with the papers dated exactly on his birth day? yes, but I don't think it really matters in the long term. All the watches were worn as my kids were born and the first pics of me holding them I was wearing the watch. Think the sentimental value will still be there. I'll also tell my last son that watch times were so crazy when I got his I had to pay a premium and get it from Japan.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 01:27 AM   #41
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Even though you've got nice intentions motivating your purchase, I'm sure Rolex ADs hear lovely stories all day long from folks who want to buy hard to find stainless steel Rolex sports models. You'll have to pay a bit of a premium from one of the gray market re-sellers for a watch with a blank warranty card. You'll have to balance whether or not that extra money spent is worth it to you. Or buy him a beautiful Datejust 41 new from a Rolex AD and help build a relationship with them.
Old 16 May 2019, 01:28 AM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I may have missed it, but do we know if your brother likes and appreciates fine watches
I don't think he really wants to know because if he doesn't then cha-ching, so win win.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 01:34 AM   #43
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I don't think he really wants to know because if he doesn't then cha-ching, so win win.
True

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 02:22 AM   #44
blacksun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavalFlight View Post
Not tacky. Get what you want, when you want, as long as price doesn’t matter.

If the gift is meant to be an heirloom, don’t downgrade to a Tudor just to be able to give a warranty card.

blacksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 02:23 AM   #45
jblay
"TRF" Member

Apparently my last post didn't go through. Not concerned about him selling it at all, really didn't even think about it till someone mentioned it. He's a daily watch wearer, and would appreciate really any present (especially a high end watch), but would have no idea the amount of persistence it takes to get a hold of a new SS watch in the current environment. That is totally fine with me, I'm sure he's done things for me in the past that I did not acknowledge the difficulty of.
I have a decent relationship with my AD, will see what he says later this week about getting watch in ~1.5-2 months. Two other major hurdles at this point are "burning a favor" with the AD buying a sub at full MSRP (when I'd prefer to burn that favor later on something else) and explaining to my wife why my brother has a green box with a bow on it waiting for him ;)
Old 16 May 2019, 02:27 AM   #46
MinMay
Banned

When is it tacky to go grey - or Rolex in general

My recommendation is set up a 529 for your brother kid. Sounds like he has his priorities intact and I bet he rather see money grow rapidly when his kids go to college instead of a watch. Seriously the kid and parents will thank you when he grows up. I wish my uncle did it for me when I was born. If I was handed over with a watch I would say uncle you’re so stupid. 10k in 20 years? I’ll let you do the math. Just add money every year for his birthday. And the parents can contribute to the fund too.

The millennium don’t care about watch 25 years from now.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 03:14 AM   #47
aparker973
"TRF" Member

Not many people outside of WIS know or care about the sanctity of warranty cards.

I bought a fully stickered Rolex for my wife as a milestone gift. I couldn't get her name on the card, so I took the card out of the package and keep it with my files.

It's out of warranty now anyway and she's not selling it on TRF any time soon so it's just a piece of plastic in my drawer.

I personally would not overthink it re: warranty card. The watch is what matters.
aparker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 03:36 AM   #48
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Sounds like your brother is a watch guy but not stuck on Rolex or any particular brands?

In that case I wouldn't necessarily sink big money into a Rolex, unless you really want to. My guess is, any watch from the major watch brands would be meaningful to him.

Plus, IMO it's where the watch comes from that means the most, not necessarily the dollar value.

Anything from Omega, IWC, Breitling, or even Sinn would be a good choice.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 04:06 AM   #49
steve k
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116515LN OF
In all fairness to your brother and the gift I personally do think it is tacky. Especially if it is a gift that will be kept. I have called around to some AD's here in SoCAl and they tell me that 610ln's do still come in and are possible to get with deposits.. Have you looked around?
steve k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 04:09 AM   #50
ralfcom
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
I think it depends on what you are getting the mother of the child.
ralfcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 04:36 AM   #51
goodolejr
"TRF" Member

OP - How about the wait-and-see approach? If July rolls around and nothing from the AD, when your sister in-law goes into labor, call a gray and get the Sub shipped overnight.

Some labor-deliveries take so long, the watch might arrive before the kiddo!
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 05:36 AM   #52
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I love your plan, please get a Rolex. Grey vs AD, as long as the watch is new, no problem. You do not wear your warranty card, I do not even remember where I put mine. If I recall correctly, I bought one of my watches here from trusted sellers and he put my name on the card.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 05:43 AM   #53
Redadmiral2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660 D-Blue
Yeh right

I don’t think many would refuse a Rolex where ever it was bought.
I know I wouldn’t.
Redadmiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 05:43 AM   #54
Beauregard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Get him an Omega, they don't have the apparent disdain for their customers that Rolex has shown recently.

With that said, I got my brother in-law a 116710BLNR from one of my favorite "trusted sellers" here. He has absolutely loved the watch from day one and doesn't care one bit that I bought it used. It's a Rolex for pete's sake, that's one heck of a gift horse!
Old 16 May 2019, 05:50 AM   #55
vicsdca
Banned

The Speedmaster Professional would be a wonderful gift, especially with the special box and accessories:

omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-31130423001006-gallery-1-large.jpg

The reference is 311.30.42.30.01.006.

I'm actually thinking about getting one for myself since Rolex don't want to sell me a Daytona and I'm in need of a chronograph.
vicsdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 06:17 AM   #56
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblay View Post
My younger brother is having his first child in July, and I’d love to get him a 116610LN to mark the occasion, and also give him a great present that he can pass down to his son someday. I’m hung up on two aspects of this plan, the first being getting a sub from an AD by late June, and the second being the $$ involved.

For what will presumably be a family heirloom some day, is it tacky to buy from a grey dealer and have someone else’s name on the warranty card, not to mention the missing out on the whole unboxing process?

And second, if a Rolex in general is way out of his budget right now (finished grad school, bought a house, having a kid), is it in bad form to get him such an expensive gift?

My backup plan is a speed master or maybe a Tudor. Thoughts??
I picked up my first Rolex (a GMT Master II 116710LN) as a present to myself for finishing my Masters and as a late commemoration of the birth of my first son. Kid was born July 2017, finished my masters in May 2018, ordered the watch from an AD in June and had it by mid-August.

I am not sure it's tacky to buy Grey, but honestly, I wouldn't mind (correction: I didn't mind) a little delayed gratification and having to wait. I don't know what the wait-list is like for a Sub currently, but when I was looking at Devon's in Reno (the only AD in Northern Nevada) there wasn't one for either the Sub or GMT, so whatever I chose they could "order" that day. That said, it could take a week, or it could take several months, it depends on if they have one allocated to the store that is coming in (they don't know until they receive their orders) or if they have to special order it. Kind of a crapshoot that way.

There just isn't enough to say about actually picking it up from the AD and going through the process, it was nice and I can't imagine just having a box show up on my doorstep. For you brother, I think going with him to the AD when it comes in will be a better memory for him than unwrapping a box, but that might just be me.

If waiting for it to arrive is a non-started and you want something to give to him right when he gets home, maybe the Speedmaster Professional. Just as iconic, in my opinion, and wears nicer than the Tudor BB, I think. But I've never been a chronograph guy, so I'd wait for the Sub. The Omega Planet Ocean divers are pretty nice, and something to think about.

Good luck, and you're a pretty awesome big brother. And congrats on becoming an Uncle!
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 06:45 AM   #57
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I'd get a Speedy.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 06:48 AM   #58
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
I don't think its tacky to go grey. You can certainly try to get on the list with an AD, but its a tough road ahead.

However another option may be getting a birth year Rolex of your brother. I think a vintage SS Sports piece beat out any modern iteration any day...
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 06:55 AM   #59
jblay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve k View Post
In all fairness to your brother and the gift I personally do think it is tacky. Especially if it is a gift that will be kept. I have called around to some AD's here in SoCAl and they tell me that 610ln's do still come in and are possible to get with deposits.. Have you looked around?
Sadly there is only one in my area, so that limits my stops to only 1! But yes, have been in contact with them and hoping it all comes together before the baby arrives!
Old 16 May 2019, 07:04 AM   #60
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblay View Post
My younger brother is having his first child in July, and I’d love to get him a 116610LN to mark the occasion, and also give him a great present that he can pass down to his son someday. I’m hung up on two aspects of this plan, the first being getting a sub from an AD by late June, and the second being the $$ involved.

For what will presumably be a family heirloom some day, is it tacky to buy from a grey dealer and have someone else’s name on the warranty card, not to mention the missing out on the whole unboxing process?

And second, if a Rolex in general is way out of his budget right now (finished grad school, bought a house, having a kid), is it in bad form to get him such an expensive gift?

My backup plan is a speed master or maybe a Tudor. Thoughts??
Honestly, get him the Rolex. Papers only matter if you resell/auction, I doubt he will resell if you give him the watch.

Its a cool gift. Try a few ADs, a nodate might be possible before June. Otherwise get a good condition watch from a reputable grey.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote