The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 September 2019, 04:31 PM   #1
DSplash
"TRF" Member

Got a little carried away about a 165.024...

Hi all!

I’ve been looking for a 165.024 for some time now and found that one, while casually browsing auctions on eBay.
Being more of a vintage Rolex nerd, I don’t know much about the tiny details of such a watch.

As the auction was close to an end, I researched all I could on omegaseamaster300.com, asked for better pictures but without enough time to get them, considered the seller’s perfect feedback (and habit to take awful pictures) and bid what seemed a low market value, considering my chances very low...But I won!

Now I’m wondering if I indeed got lucky or if there is a major flaw I missed with this one! And as late as it is, it’s still better than never to ask for wiser opinion!

Thanks for reading and for your help!

https://ebay.us/MyaOOW

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
DSplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 09:57 PM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I believe I see evidence indicating the indices on the dial and the hour and minute hands have been repainted with new luminescent paint (the sort that is colored to look old). My expertise on this is limited, but looking at an enlarged photo of the dial shows smudges of beige luminescent paint on the dial beyond the edges of the indices.

Perhaps someone with more expertise than me will reply to say if my suspicion about the luminescent paint is warranted.

There also is evidence that the watch has been serviced fairly recently: the movement is very, very clean (if it really had been in a drawer for decades, we should see dried oils and perhaps some oxidation on it), and the crown is a replacement (the Omega symbol is the rounder sort, and not the narrower sort that would have been original). Service, of course, is not a bad thing, but seems contrary to the seller's description of the watch, and it would have afforded a watchmaker the opportunity to repaint the indices and hands.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 10:23 PM   #3
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSplash View Post
Hi all!

I’ve been looking for a 165.024 for some time now and found that one, while casually browsing auctions on eBay.
Being more of a vintage Rolex nerd, I don’t know much about the tiny details of such a watch.

As the auction was close to an end, I researched all I could on omegaseamaster300.com, asked for better pictures but without enough time to get them, considered the seller’s perfect feedback (and habit to take awful pictures) and bid what seemed a low market value, considering my chances very low...But I won!

Now I’m wondering if I indeed got lucky or if there is a major flaw I missed with this one! And as late as it is, it’s still better than never to ask for wiser opinion!

Thanks for reading and for your help!

https://ebay.us/MyaOOW

Come on brother, I think you realize this wasn't a smart way to buy. It might work out well for you but that's a lot of money to spend without fully checking out your purchase. But I think you realize this, hence your question, so I'm sorry of I did not help. Good luck
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 11:25 PM   #4
DSplash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
Come on brother, I think you realize this wasn't a smart way to buy. It might work out well for you but that's a lot of money to spend without fully checking out your purchase. But I think you realize this, hence your question, so I'm sorry of I did not help. Good luck

Yes, I do realize that, I don’t really know what got to me.
I haven’t paid yet though and asked again the seller for the clean picture I asked him when I saw the auction (hours before the end so I understand if he didn’t have time then).
Maybe I got carried away with the buyer’s protection but I’d better like to know first hand if it’s not original (which he explicitly stated) than having to return it with all the trouble it would be...
Old 3 September 2019, 08:46 AM   #5
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Love the watch, but it seems too good a deal.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 12:32 PM   #6
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post

+1
OP, buy the seller first. Otherwise it’s a gamble. You’ll win some and lose some. Hope it works out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 03:44 PM   #7
DSplash
"TRF" Member

Well the seller sent me the picture without eBay’s downsizing. It’s not exactly the best way to take a picture of a watch (the original is 10Mb but taken from so far you have to zoom all the way to that).
Still we see a little more, there seems to be some tritium missing on the hands (at least it’s not too perfect)
Can’t really say about the indexes...

Old 3 September 2019, 04:46 PM   #8
southtexas

I’d say pay for it so that you can get it in-hand. These are hard to evaluate over pics, and their lume often got moisture damaged (no screw down crown!).

The UV light will be your friend on this one. Also, as you might know, the 6 should have a pin hole in it.

If it’s all good, then you made a good buy IMO. Love these watches...I found this one in the bottom of a parts lot I bought:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 03:53 AM   #9
DSplash
"TRF" Member

Here is the new picture I got...He sure doesn’t know how to focus right

It’s still not very neat, but from what I can compare, it would seem ok, no?

Thanks!

Old 4 September 2019, 07:21 AM   #10
southtexas

It's a hard one to judge from the photos. It looks like the little dimple is there in the 12 oclock marker (which is a good sign), but I can't make out what seems to be smudging at 1, 2 ,3 etc markers? Case looks nice and fat though.

As I stated above, this one might need to be in-hand with UV flashlight before making a call (and then excellent clear photos for posting opinions). However, my gut says dial is OK... but as for the hands, though, ?????????

You might consider posting this one at Omega Forums in the vintage section in the meantime. They'll give you some s+*t for the photo quality, but maybe you'll learn something.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 10:16 AM   #11
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
...I can't make out what seems to be smudging at 1, 2 ,3 etc markers?...

...However, my gut says dial is OK... but as for the hands, though, ?????????...
There is a 1mm square nick missing from the original lume in the middle of the hour hand, and it appears the new lume was painted on right over the nick.

With a little luck, the smudges around the markers on the dial aren't actually on the dial, but are on the crystal. I suspect, though, that if the smudges are actually on the dial, then they are from repainting the lume on the indices. I don't recall smudges of original Tritium around the indices of any watch's dial.

I hope I'm wrong, and I'll buy the forum a around of drinks if this dial and hands are original
Old 6 September 2019, 11:52 PM   #12
DSplash
"TRF" Member

Hi all!

I went through with it and here is the result!

So, round of drinks or not?

Old 7 September 2019, 08:19 AM   #13
DSplash
"TRF" Member

UV shot

Old 7 September 2019, 08:59 PM   #14
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

It's a great looking watch, for sure. Congratulations!
Old 8 September 2019, 02:32 AM   #15
DSplash
"TRF" Member

Thanks!
I’m very happy with it!

Do you still think the dial/hands have been tampered with?