The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 July 2009, 10:26 AM   #1
dribelin
"TRF" Member

Red 1680 Sub Questions

I have a couple of questions concerning what I believe is a 1680 red submariner. My dad bought the watch new in 1970 and wore it pretty constantly until about 5 years ago. The last service on the watch was years before that and I'm trying to figure out now who serviced it last. The issue is this... After removing the band, which has been replaced per his recollection, i encountered the 1680 designation between the top lugs and serial number beginning with 2631 which I'm finding dates the watch to either 1969 or 1970 which should have the red Submariner lettering. The dial has clearly been replaced by a 16800 dial which is in very good condition. The hands appear to be original and have an aged "patina" I see referred to here. Also, they don't light up that well but the hour marks on the dial light up green. Are there any steps I can take to put this watch back in its original condition or is it already too much changed to justify buying an original dial for it? The watch runs but does need service I'm sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, I can post pictures if it would be helpful.

Many thanks.
dribelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Clay
Banned

Well...

That serial number means the watch probably had a METERS FIRST Red sub dial.....
If you can find a dial you can have it installed on the watch.....
Those dials, however are not that easy to find.....
Good luck....
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2009, 01:43 AM   #3
dribelin
"TRF" Member

Value?

The watch has been in the family for a while and made it through Vietnam so I have no intention of selling it, but from a value standpoint, would this watch with a period correct meters first dial still have value close to what it would be if it were original? Also, any recommendations as to where I might be able to source the appropriate dial? I'm pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn as much as I can from all the knowledgeable posts on the board and all input is much appreciated.
Old 20 July 2009, 04:04 AM   #4
dribelin
"TRF" Member

Thanks. Anyone have any advice as to where I should start looking for a proper dial and how much $ I'll be looking at? Also, is the real value of the watch as a "red" sub already lessened significantly because the dial wouldn't be original to the watch? Even if the value has been impaired, I still feel the urge to return the watch to as close to original as possible... besides I think the original dials look much better than the 16800 WG surrounded markers.
Old 20 July 2009, 11:55 AM   #5
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
2,6xx,xxx is too late in my opinion for a meters first dial..but a nice ft. first dial would greatly improve the watch and would increase the value as well.
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2009, 06:53 PM   #6
Davvan
"TRF" Member

Watch: out..make way!!
There´s...

..a Red sub dial up for sale on VRF......maybe something for your watch. The dial is from 71-73...open six version
Old 20 July 2009, 07:09 PM   #7
Clay
Banned

I don't think it's to late for a Meters First....

Why do I say that??? Because I had one very close to that serial number with an original Meteres First Dial.....Remember, we're dealing with Rolex here....LOL
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 02:37 AM   #8
dribelin
"TRF" Member

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davvan View Post
..a Red sub dial up for sale on VRF......maybe something for your watch. The dial is from 71-73...open six version
I appreciate all the input. That dial on VRF is nice, but as I said earlier I'm a bit new to Vintage Rolex's and struggling with the thought that the dial alone is worth half the value of the entire watch. I've read that Rolex produces a new dial made for the red subs with luminova. If a new dial is much cheaper I may put that in to at least get the watch close to its original look while I work up to an original. Also, thanks for the meters first info from the comparable serial number. Take care.