The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 September 2019, 11:42 AM   #1
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
IWC Pilot Mark XVIII dial color

I am giving some serious thought to the IWC Pilot Mark XVIII as my next watch. It would be a casual watch when I don't want to be wearing a Rolex or my dress watch.

I got to try on both the Le Petit Prince blue dial and the white dial (actually advertised as silver). Both of these speak to me more than the plain black dial, and I already have black dialed watches. The blue has a bit of the sunburst effect and has the right hue to it. There are too many blue watches out these days, most of which are a miss to me. This particular one happens to be a hit. The white dial feels like a "riskier" purchase as it is not typical of a true pilot watch, but I do love the way it pops.

Any suggestions on whether I should go with the blue or white? Thanks in advance!
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 10:27 PM   #2
karmatp
"TRF" Member

IWC makes stunning blue dialed watches. I have a Mark XVIII LLP and it is a beautiful watch.
Old 3 September 2019, 06:18 AM   #3
woodsworth
"TRF" Member

IWC Blue is something special.
woodsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 03:25 PM   #4
Johnnynic
"TRF" Member

I brought the blue in January. I still love it. I own 3 Rolex SS and this still my daily.

Pull the trigger!
Johnnynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 12:46 AM   #5
Gui Gui
"TRF" Member

I have the LPP. The date window bugs me, more than the white dialed version would, but overall I love the look of the watch.

The blue actually appears pretty black in most light, but when the right light hits it in the right way, it really comes to life.

I like it too for the exact reason of not wanting to wear a Rolex... will never pick up comments from the 'Hey, nice Rolex' crowd.
Gui Gui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 04:51 PM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

I would pick blue over white but if I were to seriously consider a Mark XVIII I'd go ceramic or titanium rather than stainless steel...

But I still prefer the Mark XV over any of its successors including the XVIII. For me the black 38mm Mark XV (non-Spitfire) is just perfect, and I don't like that the date window sits almost inside of the 2 and 4 markers on most XVIIIs due to the larger case size.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 10:38 AM   #7
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

I actually have given thought to the titanium Heritage model, but I am unsure of how the titanium will wear. Can anyone tell me if it is durable enough as a daily wearer?
Old 14 September 2019, 09:38 AM   #8
unlisted
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
I actually have given thought to the titanium Heritage model, but I am unsure of how the titanium will wear. Can anyone tell me if it is durable enough as a daily wearer?
Seriously nice watch, IMO. My brother wears his regularly. The blued hands and the leather strap- just a really good look. He's very utilitarian and isn't afraid of knocking his watches around- the case looks virtually new, the strap... Well, he uses it.
unlisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:02 AM   #9
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely have to try it on next time. I like the look of it and I'm glad to hear that it does hold up to wear. I'm hoping I will like the weight of it, as I am used to fairly heavier pieces.
Old 15 September 2019, 07:54 AM   #10
unlisted
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely have to try it on next time. I like the look of it and I'm glad to hear that it does hold up to wear. I'm hoping I will like the weight of it, as I am used to fairly heavier pieces.
Compared to Rolex sports watches, it definitely feels light. That said, it is extremely comfortable, and other than being ran over by a truck, I'd say it's as durable/tough. Compared to a brushed steel Rolex, I believe the finishing on the heritage titanium model is less scratch prone, despite the titanium being overall softer than 904L steel.
unlisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 08:14 AM   #11
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Friend of mine has been using one as his daily for prob a year or so and the case looks pretty much like new.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 04:15 AM   #12
Burlington
"TRF" Member

My brothers LPP IWC. The blue is just stunning.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote