The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 July 2014, 07:41 PM   #31
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member
 
The_Walrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Real Name: George
Location: Sydney
Watch: 5513, 7928
Posts: 1,083
Unsure if this survey relates to GV's only but here is my contribution

Style: non GV
Serial: M random
Purchased: June 2008
Dial: A
Lume all green, hands white
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (106.9 KB, 340 views)
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2014, 09:32 PM   #32
directioneng
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
directioneng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Watch: A few.
Posts: 29,478
M5*****.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0211.jpg (37.3 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04415r.jpg (187.4 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00176.JPG (136.2 KB, 328 views)
__________________
E

directioneng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2014, 10:35 PM   #33
seatactony
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: seattle
Posts: 1
First post on this board.

I purchased a used V series Milgauss from a very reputable seller on one of the boards this week and wore it for the first time last night. I was very surprised at the lack of lume on the watch. The lume is so weak that I couldn't even make out the hands in the dark last night in bed.

I've been wearing the same IWC Flieger for 20 years. It's no world beater when it comes to lime. That said, it is much, much stronger than what I'm seeing on the Milgauss.

Disappointing to the point that I'm having concerns about the watch authenticity. Cause for concern or is this "normal"?

TIA
seatactony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2014, 12:12 AM   #34
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member
 
milgauss2232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Asia
Watch: the watchmen
Posts: 169
The blue lume is pretty good..almost as bright and lasting as my seamaster 300 ceramic.

I wonder if these original lumes when serviced by rsc will get their dials switched to the blue lume dials.
milgauss2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2014, 03:18 AM   #35
sierra11b
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Real Name: Eric
Location: California
Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
M5*****.
Thanks for posting these, Eddie.

This is a first Dial "A" example (with the 'M' of milgauss lining up with 'YS')
in this thread with original lume. BUT it's also an M series and we know all the M and V series had the original lume. Question is if there were any Dial "B" where the 'M' in Milgauss lines up with the 'T' in an M or V series watch?

So far the correlation is there with the Random and G serial A and B dials in relation to the lume.

I have looked at a lot of M and V series watche pictures and they all seem similar to Eddie's dial. That said, there's three different dials so far:

Type 1: 'M' of milgauss lining up with 'YS' with original lume found in M and V serial watches

Type 2: 'M' of milgauss lining up with 'T' with original lume found in Random and some G serial watches

Type 3:' M' of milgauss lining up with 'YS' with blue lume found in G serial and some Random watches


We still need more Random and G serial GV watch owners to contribute with their serial, dial type, date of purchase to solidify the correlation between font types and lume on the late series watches.

If you have a M or V serial GV with a dial where the 'M' of milgauss lines up with 'T' please post as well
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2014, 04:10 AM   #36
77T
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 30,065
It would be hard to nail down reliable earmarks of the different lume colors by case numbers and even dial fonts IMHO. Since the assembly process at Rolex prolly doesn't involve the watchmaker testing lume colors when they pick a dial from the inventory, you could have a variable output stream during transitions between lume choices.
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2014, 09:08 AM   #37
sierra11b
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Real Name: Eric
Location: California
Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
It would be hard to nail down reliable earmarks of the different lume colors by case numbers and even dial fonts IMHO. Since the assembly process at Rolex prolly doesn't involve the watchmaker testing lume colors when they pick a dial from the inventory, you could have a variable output stream during transitions between lume choices.
Not sure how you can say this with a 6 for 6 hit...? I wouldn't bet my life on it quite yet but feel it's on to something worth pursing further.

So far there's no link between when dial type 2 and 3 were used for either Random and G serial watches but so far dial fonts has been a 100% match on lume (out of 6 dials) which is why we need more participants.

As for dial type 1, we haven't seen a dial where 'M' of milgauss lining up with 'YS' with original lume in a Random or G serial watch (they're all blue so far with this font)... So far type 1 dials have been exclusive to M and V serials.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 11:52 AM   #38
jphj012
"TRF" Member
 
jphj012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Real Name: James
Location: New Jersey
Watch: Milgauss GV
Posts: 240
Here is my Milgauss GV info.
G serial
Purchased - 7/6/12
Lume - All Green except for 3 6 9 which is Blue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex - Milgauss GV.jpg (84.8 KB, 286 views)
jphj012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 01:38 PM   #39
dseig001
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Riverside, Ca
Watch: RG YM, Smurf, BLRO
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphj012 View Post
Here is my Milgauss GV info.
G serial
Purchased - 7/6/12
Lume - All Green except for 3 6 9 which is Blue
Why is this beauty all covered up in stickers??? Take em off and take that thing out!
dseig001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 01:57 PM   #40
jphj012
"TRF" Member
 
jphj012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Real Name: James
Location: New Jersey
Watch: Milgauss GV
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseig001 View Post
Why is this beauty all covered up in stickers??? Take em off and take that thing out!
Good eye my friend. I guess I should hehe.
jphj012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 09:03 PM   #41
sierra11b
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Real Name: Eric
Location: California
Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Posts: 1,949
Thank you, James

Your contribution is the 4th Dial B with regular lume!

Score is still 100% with 4 Dial B with regular lume and 3 Dial A with all blue.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2014, 01:34 AM   #42
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member
 
milgauss2232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Asia
Watch: the watchmen
Posts: 169
i guess we're still looking for that "T" lines with "M" dial in blue lume...are there any?
milgauss2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2014, 02:19 AM   #43
Laszlo
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
Laszlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Watch: Date & No Date
Posts: 8,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra11b View Post
Thank you, James

Your contribution is the 4th Dial B with regular lume!

Score is still 100% with 4 Dial B with regular lume and 3 Dial A with all blue.
__________________
"You might as well question why we breathe. If we stop breathing, we'll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, the world will die."

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2014, 02:47 AM   #44
sierra11b
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Real Name: Eric
Location: California
Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by milgauss2232 View Post
i guess we're still looking for that "T" lines with "M" dial in blue lume...are there any?
Correct and so far this combination does not exist. Just the three dial types I've mentioned in post 36
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2014, 01:13 AM   #45
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member
 
milgauss2232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Asia
Watch: the watchmen
Posts: 169
Can we safely say the sequence of milgauss dials/lumes are like this, assuming the "T" with "M" blue lume dial doesnt exist?

"YS" with "M" original lume -> "T" with "M" original lume -> "YS" with "M" blue lume

does anyone know roughly when the dials changed?
milgauss2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2014, 01:38 AM   #46
sierra11b
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Real Name: Eric
Location: California
Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by milgauss2232 View Post
Can we safely say the sequence of milgauss dials/lumes are like this, assuming the "T" with "M" blue lume dial doesnt exist?

"YS" with "M" original lume -> "T" with "M" original lume -> "YS" with "M" blue lume

does anyone know roughly when the dials changed?
I'm convinced the correlation exists but am not sure others think it's enough.

I narrowed down the typeI dial to M & V serial watches by doing my own research (haven't seen a V serial with type2 yet) but don't think we have a definitive answer on the runs of the other two dials.

To me it seems the type3 dial should be the newest dial because of the all blue lume but it's almost like they dumped the type3 dials into the box with existing type2 dials without exhausting the old stock first. Time will tell assuming Rolex doesn't discontinue the GV and we continue to get participation here.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2014, 02:34 AM   #47
cedargrove
"TRF" Member
 
cedargrove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: Rich
Location: Canada
Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Posts: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Walrus View Post
Unsure if this survey relates to GV's only but here is my contribution

Style: non GV
Serial: M random
Purchased: June 2008
Dial: A
Lume all green, hands white
The lume on my hands is the same as on my plots - light green
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2014, 09:31 PM   #48
corruptor
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 24
GV
V serial
2009 purchase date
Type 1 dial (M lines up with YS, blue and green lume)
corruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2014, 09:32 AM   #49
mkmk
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: So. California
Posts: 435
Non gv.
Black face
A dial (m under ys)
Random serial
All blue lume. Lasts all night.
mkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 06:48 PM   #50
Sebastion
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 1
First post.

Sorry to bring post back from the dead but I purchased a Milgauss Black face GV this week and had the choice between both face types at the dealers. Side by side there were more differences than simply the width of the lettering. The early style has a slightly more subdued white on 'Rolex, Oyster and Chrono' lettering. The later dial is quite noticeably brighter white. Two other things I saw was that the early dial had a better balance on the orange second hand and the orange on the 3,6,9 batons. The orange between those seemed a better match, the 369 were a little more saturated and the second hand a little less so than the later dial. So the overall effect is they match a little better. The later dials second hand was a brighter orange and set against its 369 being slightly less colourful too it does give quite a different feel to the watch when combined with the brighter, wider white lettering. If they weren't side by side, I would have had no idea but having them both there, It Really stood out.

I went for the earlier dial, simply because I prefered the more subdued white letters and the more evenly balanced orange bits. It felt a touch more vintage/subtle to my eye. Had I not seen both together I would have happily bought the other and been as happy as a pig in mud.

Anyway, just thought I'd post as I'd not found these other little quirks listed anywhere else.
Sebastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 09:52 PM   #51
rollee1
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Real Name: Rollee
Location: Boston
Watch: it watching me
Posts: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
Did I get that right? So is this the only current model that uses the "older" green lume?
DJII is super luminova green as well.

Nice thread
__________________
Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted
rollee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 12:09 AM   #52
spikester31
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Real Name: mark
Location: uk
Watch: 11610
Posts: 140
I purchased my Milgauss all shiny and brand new in June and the lume is all blue. My problem is it fades really fast. The blue I like, the amount of time it lasts I think is very poor.
My fave is the white dial with 2 colours
spikester31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2016, 12:13 AM   #53
brandrea
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
brandrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Brian (TBone)
Location: canada
Watch: es make me smile
Posts: 37,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I have a new random GV (new style warranty card) and all lume is blue.
I'd prefer this
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 04:00 PM   #54
James444
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Singapore
Watch: Rolex n Tudor
Posts: 424
Gv
V series
Type 2 dial (T with M) blue n green Lume
Purchase date sept 2010
James444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 04:15 PM   #55
James444
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Singapore
Watch: Rolex n Tudor
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra11b View Post
Thanks for posting these, Eddie.

This is a first Dial "A" example (with the 'M' of milgauss lining up with 'YS')
in this thread with original lume. BUT it's also an M series and we know all the M and V series had the original lume. Question is if there were any Dial "B" where the 'M' in Milgauss lines up with the 'T' in an M or V series watch?

So far the correlation is there with the Random and G serial A and B dials in relation to the lume.

I have looked at a lot of M and V series watche pictures and they all seem similar to Eddie's dial. That said, there's three different dials so far:

Type 1: 'M' of milgauss lining up with 'YS' with original lume found in M and V serial watches

Type 2: 'M' of milgauss lining up with 'T' with original lume found in Random and some G serial watches

Type 3:' M' of milgauss lining up with 'YS' with blue lume found in G serial and some Random watches


We still need more Random and G serial GV watch owners to contribute with their serial, dial type, date of purchase to solidify the correlation between font types and lume on the late series watches.

If you have a M or V serial GV with a dial where the 'M' of milgauss lines up with 'T' please post as well
Gv
v series
T with M (blue n green lume)
Purchase date sept 2010
James444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 05:57 PM   #56
henry333
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Real Name: Hendricks
Location: USA
Watch: 116600
Posts: 823
Z blue .. All light blue lume
White .. Blue mix green lume
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 08:22 PM   #57
James444
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Singapore
Watch: Rolex n Tudor
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra11b View Post
I'm convinced the correlation exists but am not sure others think it's enough.

I narrowed down the typeI dial to M & V serial watches by doing my own research (haven't seen a V serial with type2 yet) but don't think we have a definitive answer on the runs of the other two dials.

To me it seems the type3 dial should be the newest dial because of the all blue lume but it's almost like they dumped the type3 dials into the box with existing type2 dials without exhausting the old stock first. Time will tell assuming Rolex doesn't discontinue the GV and we continue to get participation here.
Gv
V series
Type 2 dial (T with M) blue n green Lume
Purchase date sept 2010
James444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 03:47 AM   #58
dmhines
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
dmhines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Atlanta
Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
Posts: 392
My first post and my first Rolex ... Bought a random serial GV with black face. I was looking forward to the blue and green lume. When it was all blue I was like what the heck is going on? Thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. Took pics with camera and camera saw same thing .. all blue. Then I searched forum and found this thread and learned there is a difference. My Milgauss does have M under YS ... Oh well .. I look at it more in daylight anyway ... :)
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2017, 04:24 PM   #59
Louis (Toronto)
"TRF" Member
 
Louis (Toronto)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Watch: Yachtmaster & SubC
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissom View Post
White dial......

So all V series white dial Milgauss have the all blue lume in the Batons ? Great shot by the way !
Louis (Toronto) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2017, 04:51 PM   #60
Grissom
"TRF" Member
 
Grissom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Real Name: Nathan
Location: US, Latin America
Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
Posts: 3,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis (Toronto) View Post
So all V series white dial Milgauss have the all blue lume in the Batons ? Great shot by the way !


As far as I am aware yes, Louis. Funny to see this old post of mine pop up, when I decided to again wear the Milgauss after years of wearing other watches.
__________________
(Member NAWCC since 1976)
116713LN GMT-IIc 18k/SS (Z) + 116520 SS Daytona (M) + 16700 GMT Master (A) + 16610LV Submariner (V) + 16600 Sea Dweller (Z) +
116400 Milgauss White Dial (V) + 70330N Tudor Heritage Chronograph Grey w/Black Sub Dials (J) + 5513 Submariner Serif Dial (5.2 Mil)

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend
Grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright 2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.