The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 August 2019, 02:45 AM   #31
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Bulgari is a fashion brand.
Absolutely not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Which Bulgari lines were designed by Genta?
Just the one – the iconic Bvlgari Bvlgari bezel design on the Romas.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 03:07 AM   #32
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
So it looks like Bulgari has earned my business! I just don’t know if I should buy an Octo Roma for $4k or the Octo Finissimo for $10k if it’s worth it.
You yourself have to decide what’s worth the price being asked or negotiated down to, but the Bvlgari Octo now spans 3 designs.

There’s the original Octos, with Genta’s name and movements being used.
They were made from 2004-2010/11, and then re-launched with Vaucher and Zenith movements in the usual 3-hander with date/chronograph style.
Those are the Solotempo and Velocissmo, of which the latter was done in a LE for Maserati.
Then came the Finissimo – the ultra-thin range with various complications and manual/micro-rotor movements made in-house.
Recently, they introduced the Octo Roma, which is a softened version of the Solotempo, losing some of the 100+ facets including the bezel’s.

The original Octos will probably be too big for you, at 43mm and relatively thick, depending on the complications, but they are a superb watch.
Old 13 August 2019, 03:31 AM   #33
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bulgari is a fashion brand. Cartier is a jewelry store.
Who made the first men's wristwatch? Not Rolex but Cartier.

Bulgari has been making excellent higher end men's watches and deserves recognition. Times change.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 04:30 AM   #34
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Who made the first men's wristwatch? Not Rolex but Cartier.

Bulgari has been making excellent higher end men's watches and deserves recognition. Times change.
Yeah, funny how many don’t realize the Cartier Santos was the first wrist watch and made and named after the pilot it was created for.
Old 13 August 2019, 11:57 AM   #35
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Now that I got more time... There is nothing wrong with watches from the top fashion brands. In fact, dare I say that in some cass those brands offer timepieces that are way more interesting than what is typically found in the catalogs of the usual suspects, including Rolex. You just need to know where to look.

Luxury brands like Hermes, Cartier, Ralph Lauren and numerous other shops know how to differentiate themselves. Many combine their strength--design--with solid mechanical movements that come from respectable third parties or in-house workshops purchased or acquired through partnerships. Recently Cartier has snunk-in its in-house calibers in many watches, including entry-level tanks. Ralph Lauren got Piaget's work. Hermes went with Vaucher (it owns 25% of the supplier). RM, by the way, relies on Vaucher too. You can find a lot more detail if you comb through the Internet. My point is that one shall not discount the ability of a luxury brand to make a standout timepiece.

But wait, there is more.

Unlike traditional brands, many luxury houses are exceptionally well tuned to what is in now. Their designs may not be the classic icons that we love so much, but they're also not boring. In other words, when you purchase today's Bulgari you are going to get a piece of 2019 that may not be en vogue tomorrow. I dig that. That's what pushing the envelope is all about. At some point my drawer will have a few items that I'll be able to pull out and say "Oh, hey that's what we used to rock back in the days."

Also, you can find many of these timepieces for a song. Masses seem to gravitate to the mean as they always do, so Cartier Tanks and ultra-thin Piagets and other "non-tool" watches are not for everyeone. Perhaps men are naturally drawn to despise all things that come with a touch of femininity. Or perhaps we as collectors can't go past the resell value. Who knows. The bottom line is that you should not be afraid to look elsewhere to get a great value in terms of design an horology, and Bulgari's latest collection offers some food for thought.
Old 13 August 2019, 12:06 PM   #36
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
And this was a try out of their brand new GMT Chrono! (A few months ago...)

These watches are incredible. The case construction is second to none and the micro rotor is very cool.
Old 13 August 2019, 01:02 PM   #37
Justindo
"TRF" Member

The Bulgaris aren't really my cup of tea but if you want to get an Octo, the Finissimo is the way to go, in my opinion.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 12:40 AM   #38
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Bulgari owns the Gerald Genta brand i think.

And some stores i visited have salesmen claiming the Octo as a Genta design. Not sure if it is. Certainly inspired by it. But since they own the brand they can say it is a Gerald Genta even if not actually designee by Gerald Genta.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 02:53 AM   #39
PJ S
Banned

^
Nope.
Gerald sold his brand to Hour Glass in Singapore, in 1998, who then flogged it to Bvlgari about 18 months later.
Daniel Roth was also acquired at much the same time too.
The original Octo, co-branded with Genta’s name, came from the in-house design team, in Italy, influenced by and as an homage to Genta’s Octo.

Everything you wanted to know about Bvlgari Octos, but were afraid to ask!
Old 24 August 2019, 07:41 AM   #40
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Where is everyone finding the Bvlgari Chrono GMT? I went to the Bvlgari boutique in Boston last week and was told they hadn't received in and weren't even sure if they would get it which I found strange.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 08:23 AM   #41
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
Where is everyone finding the Bvlgari Chrono GMT? I went to the Bvlgari boutique in Boston last week and was told they hadn't received in and weren't even sure if they would get it which I found strange.

I liked it. Slightly larger than the automatic on the wrist. So if slim wrists then try before you buy. Buttons of the chronograph seemed ok to me. Long term wear and tear solidity unknown. Bracelet is still awesome. I miss lume on those hands in this line. Apart from that and the standard water resistance of 30m (which should be ok for day to day activities with care) you can’t go wrong with this world record holder!

P.s: I am still contemplating a purchase - wondering if Bulgari will release an QP in this line as soon as I purchase the chrono GMT
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 11:59 PM   #42
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Is this the equivalent of a girl asking if you’ll respect her in the morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 02:16 AM   #43
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
NYC boutique sent me an email last week that they received one. May still be there.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 12:33 PM   #44
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Purchased my first Bulgari a couple of months ago now and absolutely love it. Its getting more wrist time than all my other watches. The Octo Finissimo is just amazing, visually and physically on the wrist.

Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 02:14 PM   #45
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
Nope.
Gerald sold his brand to Hour Glass in Singapore, in 1998, who then flogged it to Bvlgari about 18 months later.
Daniel Roth was also acquired at much the same time too.
The original Octo, co-branded with Genta’s name, came from the in-house design team, in Italy, influenced by and as an homage to Genta’s Octo.

Everything you wanted to know about Bvlgari Octos, but were afraid to ask!
So the Octo is a Gerald Genta brand even if not designed by Gerald Genta the person?
Old 30 August 2019, 03:32 PM   #46
martinr
"TRF" Member

I tried on the Octo Finissimo in three different metals. Stainless, rose gold, and the ceramic. I’m waiting on something else or would have one on my wrist now. Ceramic is really great if you want an all black watch. Prices are reasonable for what you get. A TRF member has a sealed stainless version sealed brand new for a great price.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 06:12 PM   #47
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

A fashion brand? Come on man...
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 07:32 PM   #48
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

Bvlgari makes beautiful watches and easily recognisable, of late, their chronograph, Tourbillon Octo Finnisimo are state of art pieces. Pretty sure they will succeed not just being great in watchmaking but also fashionable.

Homo Sapien X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2019, 10:36 AM   #49
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
So the Octo is a Gerald Genta brand even if not designed by Gerald Genta the person?
The Octo is a model line, not a brand.
Gerald Genta had his own self-titled company (that’s what eponymous means), making various models.
One of those models was a serious Grand Complication (a Grande Sonnerie Tourbillon), which was housed inside an octagonal case – that was the original, but was never called an Octo.

After the company was sold to Hourglass, and subsequently to Bvlgari, did the Octo range come about (a decade after the GC), paying tribute to that original design and co-branding with Genta’s name, but the man himself had moved on, making watches under Gerald Charles (which is still operating).

The Bvlgari Octos have been designed in-house, originally using the movements acquired when they bought the GG brand, then ceased production, before being re-introduced using a Vaucher movement and an in-house one in the Solotempos.
The Velocissimo uses the Zenith El Primero, as R&D funds were directed into the design and manufacture of Finissimo models.
Old 31 August 2019, 01:39 PM   #50
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
The Octo is a model line, not a brand.
Gerald Genta had his own self-titled company (that’s what eponymous means), making various models.
One of those models was a serious Grand Complication (a Grande Sonnerie Tourbillon), which was housed inside an octagonal case – that was the original, but was never called an Octo.

After the company was sold to Hourglass, and subsequently to Bvlgari, did the Octo range come about (a decade after the GC), paying tribute to that original design and co-branding with Genta’s name, but the man himself had moved on, making watches under Gerald Charles (which is still operating).

The Bvlgari Octos have been designed in-house, originally using the movements acquired when they bought the GG brand, then ceased production, before being re-introduced using a Vaucher movement and an in-house one in the Solotempos.
The Velocissimo uses the Zenith El Primero, as R&D funds were directed into the design and manufacture of Finissimo models.

Thanks ! Great info

Homo Sapien X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2019, 03:37 PM   #51
djlindsay
Banned

Well respected brand
djlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 01:12 AM   #52
Pongster
"TRF" Member

I respect it

Old 10 September 2019, 12:08 AM   #53
soran
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
They were not on my radar until they came up with the Octo Finissimo series. Now I like them
soran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 04:56 AM   #54
avilhena
"TRF" Member

I bought the Octo Finissimo in steel and am very pleased with it! It wears like a charm, the movement is nice, specially the micro-rotor.

I own Rolex, AP, Lange, IWC, Panerai etc and the Bulgari is the one that gets complimented the most when I wear it.

The palladium and rhodium coat gives it a very unique hue.

Old 14 September 2019, 05:01 AM   #55
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullasaif View Post
The octo line you can’t go wrong

whoa, i want this
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 08:22 AM   #56
PJ S
Banned

^
https://www.bulgari.com/en-qa/products/103023-e.html
Old 7 October 2019, 12:02 PM   #57
Mikebt
"TRF" Member

I tried the sa version did not sing to me.
But when looking to those skelleton versions that give me some goose bumps
Mikebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 06:00 PM   #58
Severund
Banned

Severund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 11:43 PM   #59
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severund View Post
Bulgari is a fashion brand.
Perhaps in the past, yet for years Bvlgari has become a truly incredible timepiece manufacturer. Look at Bvlgari's impressive new Octo movements and quality of craftmanship... including bracelet integration and how the clasp goes into the bracelet (for example).

On the other hand, Richemont's company-owned Panerai consumer watch brand has lowered the quality and features of their movements, so yes it appears Panerai is now a Fashion brand.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 01:02 AM   #60
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Perhaps in the past, yet for years Bvlgari has become a truly incredible timepiece manufacturer. Look at Bvlgari's impressive new Octo movements and quality of craftmanship... including bracelet integration and how the clasp goes into the bracelet (for example).

On the other hand, Richemont's company-owned Panerai consumer watch brand has lowered the quality and features of their movements, so yes it appears Panerai is now a Fashion brand.
Love my fashion watches Steven.

OP, I think Bvlgari get plenty of love here on TRF. Just not as well known outside of these circles.

20210130_115914.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote