The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 February 2008, 02:41 AM   #1
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Don't mess with Rolex Karma!

A few summers ago I made the mistake of letting my buddy drive my boat while I was going to tube behind it. I should have known better because he is the kind of friend who thinks it's funny to watch others suffer. Not a malicious guy, just doesn't think about consequences.

I thought since my wife was there he wouldn't do anything stupid so I decided to let him drive. MY MISTAKE.

My boat will do in excess of 55 mph and for anyone who waterskies or tubes, anything faster than 30mph and water can become as hard as concrete. He started off fine, twisting me around but the boat started to go faster and faster. I gave him the hand signal to slow down and he nodded "YES" but kept the speed up. I was getting really pissed but couldn't signal hm any more because I was holding on for deal life knowing if I wiped out it was going to hurt, bad. He threw me into a wide curve and centrifugal force threw me off. I hit the water so hard I saw stars. The almost worst part besides the bruises I knew I was going to have was my Rolex TT Sub's clasp had opened at impact. When I bobbed up to the surface, it was coming off my wrist and I only managed to hang on to it by the end of my fingertip. Whew!

I got on the boat and both he and my wife had tears running down their faces they were laughing so hard. I was screaming obscenities at both of them. It was then I realized that both of them had had a few to many cocktails and I was the idiot for letting that moron drive my boat in the first place.

After telling him he almost killed me and to boot I almost lost my Rolex he says to me " Big deal, you have insurance." I tell him to

Fast forward to this summer. He is on a lake with his family and is tubing. His brother-in-law whips him around and he wipes out. As he gets in the boat, his wife goes "Where's your Submariner?" Oh sh#t he says. He calls me up the next day and tells me the story. So I throw it back in his face "Big deal, you have insurance, right?" He gets kinda quiet and says "I forgot to add it to my policy". Now I am and he's like "That's not funny". I say..DON'T MESS WITH ROLEX KARMA! See, he treated me badly, dissed me almost loosing my Submariner and what happened? Bad Juju! He still hasn't replaced his Sub.

So the moral of this story is for all those out there who own a Rolex, be nice to others or the Rolex God's will punish your impertinence and take them away!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 02:44 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Nice story, David. Feel sorry for that guy that he actually lost a Rolex. I'm surprised the clasp keeps opening up on impact. It's not supposed to do that!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 02:44 AM   #3
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Nice story i enjoyed reading it. I am new to the rolex world so i will definetely take care of the rolex karma.

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 02:45 AM   #4
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Nice story, David. Feel sorry for that guy that he actually lost a Rolex. I'm surprised the clasp keeps opening up on impact. It's not supposed to do that!!
There are surfers that broke the bracelet at the time of the impact.

Old 7 February 2008, 02:46 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
There are surfers that broke the bracelet at the time of the impact.
Then I guess you shouldn't carry out any water sports wearing an expensive watch!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 02:48 AM   #6
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Then I guess you shouldn't carry out any water sports wearing an expensive watch!!
Actually yesterday i was playing pool with some friends and because i am left handed i removed my watch cause i hit really hard with the stick and i don't want the watch to go through hard shocks

Old 7 February 2008, 03:10 AM   #7
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
A few summers ago I made the mistake of letting my buddy drive my boat while I was going to tube behind it. I should have known better because he is the kind of friend who thinks it's funny to watch others suffer. Not a malicious guy, just doesn't think about consequences.

I thought since my wife was there he wouldn't do anything stupid so I decided to let him drive. MY MISTAKE.

My boat will do in excess of 55 mph and for anyone who waterskies or tubes, anything faster than 30mph and water can become as hard as concrete. He started off fine, twisting me around but the boat started to go faster and faster. I gave him the hand signal to slow down and he nodded "YES" but kept the speed up. I was getting really pissed but couldn't signal hm any more because I was holding on for deal life knowing if I wiped out it was going to hurt, bad. He threw me into a wide curve and centrifugal force threw me off. I hit the water so hard I saw stars. The almost worst part besides the bruises I knew I was going to have was my Rolex TT Sub's clasp had opened at impact. When I bobbed up to the surface, it was coming off my wrist and I only managed to hang on to it by the end of my fingertip. Whew!

I got on the boat and both he and my wife had tears running down their faces they were laughing so hard. I was screaming obscenities at both of them. It was then I realized that both of them had had a few to many cocktails and I was the idiot for letting that moron drive my boat in the first place.

After telling him he almost killed me and to boot I almost lost my Rolex he says to me " Big deal, you have insurance." I tell him to

Fast forward to this summer. He is on a lake with his family and is tubing. His brother-in-law whips him around and he wipes out. As he gets in the boat, his wife goes "Where's your Submariner?" Oh sh#t he says. He calls me up the next day and tells me the story. So I throw it back in his face "Big deal, you have insurance, right?" He gets kinda quiet and says "I forgot to add it to my policy". Now I am and he's like "That's not funny". I say..DON'T MESS WITH ROLEX KARMA! See, he treated me badly, dissed me almost loosing my Submariner and what happened? Bad Juju! He still hasn't replaced his Sub.

So the moral of this story is for all those out there who own a Rolex, be nice to others or the Rolex God's will punish your impertinence and take them away!

With friends like that, who needs.....? well, you know.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 03:14 AM   #8
dienstuhr

Watch: Tritium 14060
The best part of the story is that it wasn't you who was driving the boat when your buddy lost his Sub. Karma acted through someone else.

If I was your buddy, I don't think I would have been calling you up to tell you that story.

d.
dienstuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 03:18 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rolex Karma....

I like that..
Old 7 February 2008, 03:30 AM   #10
krattzz
Banned

Watch: GMT BLNR
If you were a true friend you would rent some scuba equip, fish it off the bottom, then resell it to him.
krattzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 04:09 AM   #11
ErikAalto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
What lake was this so I can go scuba diving?
ErikAalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 04:10 AM   #12
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikAalto View Post

Old 7 February 2008, 04:14 AM   #13
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Interesting story, but it sounds like you need some new friends. Glad you didn't lose the Sub, though. That would've sucked in a major way.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 04:20 AM   #14
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
David, I think it's legal salvage right now - let's go trolling in the lake this summer when the ice melts. Unlike my friend who lost her Rolex when she was waterskiing in Lake Tahoe (max depth ~1,700 feet), all lakes in MN (even Superior) aren't too deep for a Sub.

Seriously, that's too bad, but Karma gets you sometimes. Another reason I go watchless or use my G-shock for those types of activities!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 04:21 AM   #15
HYDROMAROC
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pass...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikAalto View Post
Just about to say that myself...
HYDROMAROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 04:34 AM   #16
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
Quote:

JJ....PLEASE! This is a family forum. First we have to endure the stories about your "leaky unit" and now you start talking about "water sports". What next? Sheep pictures?
redshirt1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 05:10 AM   #17
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Well, your friend sure was taught a lesson there!

But I wonder, too, why a Fliplock clasp opens on its own! How could that happen??

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 05:13 AM   #18
rlux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
Interesting story, but it sounds like you need some new friends. Glad you didn't lose the Sub, though. That would've sucked in a major way.
.. and a new wife
rlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 09:04 AM   #19
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

He's a good guy but when he drinks, he gets a major case of the stupids and has done some really dumb stuff since we were kids. Learned my lesson though and he's never driven my boat since. I'm no

My wife on the other hand got an ass chewing later. She had never gone tubing before and didn't realize the danger I was in and thought it was funny seeing her 6', 200lbs husband being thrown around like a rag doll plus add to that she had a tipped a few back so her judgment wasn't 100%. I eventually forgave her. She did buy me my favorite Doxa for my B Day last year so she's not all bad.

The clasps are not supposed to open but if any of you have ever wiped out water skiing or tubing, the impact can be unbelievably shocking. I wouldn't wear a nice watch for such activities again, insurance or not.

I am a certified diver and offered to go after his watch. It's not the depth that's the problem but he doesn't know exactly wear it came off. Needle in a haystack stuff. If he had an idea, I would have gone after it.

I hoped you all would find it amusing. Anyone else have a Karma story. Good or bad?

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
Old 7 February 2008, 09:17 AM   #20
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
A few summers ago I made the mistake of letting my buddy drive my boat while I was going to tube behind it.
David, looks to me like tubing and Rolex watches weren't made for each other. Check oout this thread:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ht=tubing+gone
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 09:31 AM   #21
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
David, looks to me like tubing and Rolex watches weren't made for each other. Check oout this thread:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ht=tubing+gone
Wow, appears not. I think most people, myself included, never realized the shock of wiping out could unclasp their Rolex Subs. Expensive lessons learned. I am very fortunate I didn't loose mine. It was hanging there by my last little bit of my fingertip when I caught it. Scary!

Old 7 February 2008, 09:35 AM   #22
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Note to self....don't piss off Doxa David...... Nice story!
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 09:41 AM   #23
cmr
"TRF" Member

use a seiko monster next time. they have a flip lock with push buttons on each side to release the clasp after you unlock the flip lock. that stops things like this from happening.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 04:00 PM   #24
CPCC
"TRF" Member

Wow, this is really scray
Old 7 February 2008, 04:08 PM   #25
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Gotta be careful with Karma, she's been known to bite a few arses in her time