The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2 June 2016, 02:19 AM   #1
RG1825
"TRF" Member

Entertaining AD experience...

Went into a London-based AD today, which shall remain unnamed, to check if they had any of the new 214270s in stock yet. The assistant says he will go and check and proceeds to bring out an old-style 214270.

I say "ah that's a shame, still the old one then... never mind - I'll check back again in a few weeks".

However, the guy does not seem to know the difference and proceeds to insist that this is "the newest one" - "you can tell because it glows blue". He then proceeds to cup his hand around the watch and tell me to "look inside - it's so blue", before putting it inside his jacket to shadow it and further show off the blue lume... which, of course, was not on the 3, 6 and 9. I struggled not to piss myself laughing at this point and just about managed to keep a straight face.

I assured him the lume was lovely and thanked him for his time, but I would be waiting for the lumed 3, 6 and 9. At which point he tells me I am "missing out" - it's a "very rare watch" and has "only just come out".

Sigh...

At least it was a good laugh during my lunch break . But on a serious note, this makes a HUGE difference to the likelihood of a customer making a purchase. I was almost lured into buying a Seamaster last month purely because the sales assistant was knowledgeable enough to recognise my friend's Breguet XXI and talked at length about his love for them... Sadly he didn't cup it under his jacket to check out the lume
Old 2 June 2016, 02:42 AM   #2
evlkoala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Wish Rolex would make it a requirement for AD to have some kind of basic training. It's never a good thing when the customer knows more than the AD.
Old 2 June 2016, 02:54 AM   #3
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlkoala View Post
Wish Rolex would make it a requirement for AD to have some kind of basic training. It's never a good thing when the customer knows more than the AD.
I fear that AD employees would need more than just basic training to know more about Rolex than the majority on here
Old 2 June 2016, 02:55 AM   #4
RationalPragmatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
You should have showed him a pic of the updated Explorer with lume - like this one:

http://ablogtowatch.wpengine.netdna-...6-214270-8.jpg

Nothing more enjoyable than educating an AD :)
Old 2 June 2016, 02:57 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd cut him some slack, the new Exp1 hasn't really come out yet and most of them don't follow Basel. I just want them to know about the stock they do carry.
Old 2 June 2016, 02:57 AM   #6
RG1825
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalPragmatist View Post

Nothing more enjoyable than educating an AD :)

Haha I would have felt mean fully calling him out on it... Regardless of how shocking it is that he didn't know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 June 2016, 02:58 AM   #7
RG1825
"TRF" Member

Entertaining AD experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'd cut him some slack, the new Exp1 hasn't really come out yet and most of them don't follow Basel.

You say that but then again ... You would expect a person to have a basic interest and enthusiasm for their job, failing which, they should probably find another one! But yes I was as tactful as possible at the time haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 June 2016, 03:00 AM   #8
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
I know very little compared to most on this forum and I can saw with confidence that I have never met a sales person at a AD that knew more then me. but I guess it's the same with buying a car. I don't just go look at a car with out doing research and most of the time I know more then the sales person. But I guess the reason most of us are on here is because we have a passion for watches and I'd guess for most sales people it's just a job
Old 2 June 2016, 03:05 AM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
That is a good laugh.