The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 February 2019, 12:12 PM   #1
Dlong
Banned

Watch: Black sub Date
Omega Planet Ocean 39.5mm

I’m looking to purchase a Planet Ocean 39.5 mm. Black dial and bezel. Stainless bracelet. Where would I get the best price? Is 20% off msrp common? 25%?
Dlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:15 AM   #2
WJGESQ
Banned

45mm.

Well worth it.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 05:30 AM   #3
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
I don't think the OP asked for opinions on the best watch size.

Lemme try.

I hear that Omega dealers and botiques will not give a discount. I'm not sure if that's true or now. But I've heard multiple people say this. I'm sure it depends on the piece.

For a deal, the best way is grey dealers.

For instance, I was checking out a brown ceramic PO with the Sedna gold, MSRP is near $11k, they can be had for $7500 new from grey dealers.

I don't like the idea of buying grey, but that's a lot of scratch to toss away.

Good luck with your hunt!
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 06:23 AM   #4
Dlong
Banned

I sent an email to mgrwl but have not heard back. 45mm is a monster. I have a 7” wrist. Kinda diggin the speed master as well. Toss up.
Old 16 February 2019, 08:51 AM   #5
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
Yeah, he's one of the guys I see around here with NICE stuff.

He's got that Deep Black GMT. drool.

I did try on the Deep Brown which is 39.5mm. It looked small on me, but I have larger size arms. Well, like regular size, but not small.

I think the thickness makes them look smaller.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:55 PM   #6
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlong View Post
I’m looking to purchase a Planet Ocean 39.5 mm. Black dial and bezel. Stainless bracelet. Where would I get the best price? Is 20% off msrp common? 25%?
At a boutique or AD, it never hurts to ask. For my Dive 300, my Omega Boutique didn't give me an outright discount, they indirectly gave me a discount (paid MSRP out the door, no tax, with a free Omega NATO of my choice; so they basically reduced the price of the watch by the sales tax amount, and the cost of an OEM NATO strap.). However, this was one year before Omega rolled out the new Seamaster Pro with the wave dial, so I don't know if they gave me the deal in anticipation of the new model.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 03:29 AM   #7
Dlong
Banned

I have a boutique within a few miles and they said they would "talk" when I'm serious. They would most likely offer 5% plus tax. I have an AD half a mile up the road which if have yet to visit. I would think they would be at least 10% and ship to my FL address. Or, a trusted seller. I'm hoping for at least 25%. I do have a relationship at the local jewelry exchange where I got my wife's Balon Bleu, but his discount on Omega wasn't impressive. From what I'm reading, seems to be 25% is the target? Maybe I'm wrong. I want a warrarnty card for 5 years.
Old 17 February 2019, 04:27 AM   #8
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Went into the Omega Boutique at Somerset in Troy MI a few weeks ago, and they claimed they don't discount unless it's a discontinued model they still had stock of, which they referred to as a "price consideration".

On one hand, if a brand's boutique store doesn't adhere to MSRP, then that price is pure fiction. But unless the brand takes measures to correct a large disparity in MSRP and resale value including taking control of supply leaks that fuel the grey market, it just doesn't make sense to pay an inflated price for the 'AD experience'.

If you do want to purchase directly from an AD, your best bet is the small, independent brick and mortar stores, if there are any left in your area. Otherwise, do what others have suggested and contact one of the grey dealers here.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 04:50 AM   #9
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I haven’t really seen the 39.5 version pop up at too many AD’s so discount on that one may be a little more difficult compared to the larger 43.5 model.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 08:12 AM   #10
Dlong
Banned

Well I drove up the street to a local Omega AD and he told me he would match or beat any price I showed him on the internet which comes to about 20 to 25% off. Have to give him bank check. So I guess I lose the credit card points. Told him I was on a list for a Pepsi. He said if I got it, he would give me 12K for it. Said he was in the watch business for 40 years. Gave me some interesting insight as to the business at present.