The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2019, 02:25 PM   #1
Msb06c
"TRF" Member

Icon10 Looking for a Hulk had some pretty unintended consequences....

Didn’t think I would start a thread about this but here we are. Before we get started: This is NOT a post about how hard it is to get this watch — we’ve seen that one a million times already. I kinda hoped the “you can’t get a Hulk” thing was blown out of proportion on here, in a lame attempt to discourage newjacks from going after the piece.

But I just started actually *trying* to pick up a Hulk this week. With no prior Rolex purchases it does, indeed, seem to be as impossible as everyone on here is saying. Surprise surprise, gents... they’re not just laying around.

So I’m down in Miami visitng them this week. I just celebrated my 30th birthday and my parents asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I told them I was trying to acquire a sub and frankly, I just wanted some help finding one. My parents have bought multiple Rolexes over the years, but with their last purchase well well over a decade ago, don’t really have any contacts these days. Half the jewelers are out of business or no longer even carry Rolex. Shocking, right?

Thankfully one of my mother's patients worked at a Rolex AD for like a decade. Pretty much my only shot in hell. She put me in touch. I’m hoping his years in the business and the Contacts to go with it will — eventually— get the watch into my hands. He flat out told me it’s not going to be easy or super quick but he’ll ask around for me. I’m staying hopeful for now. Will definitely keep you guys posted as things shake out. We shall see...

To the point now, sorry: the start of my Rolex journey had some unintended consequences.

All in all it’s been a VERY cool experience with my parents regarding the brand. They obviously could not believe the current landscape of the market, telling me about their days of buying $3000 msrp submariners...And at a discount, of course... those bastards! I cringed when he told me about trading in his 16613 I remember as a little boy. He cringed when I told him what it would fetch today. He still made a boatload on it at the time as a trade-in and we had a good laugh about it.

So anyways after talking about watches all week and kind of “educating” them a bit more about the brand (they both own iconic models but they aren’t into it like the folks are here obviously) the itch returned and today we went to the vault and got my dad’s 16718 out of storage which he hasn’t worn in like 10 years.

Didn’t even need to wind it. He Just threw it on and kept going through the vault box and by the time I got to try it on, like 5 minutes later, it was already running. I haven’t ever really handled one before so I kind of thought you’d need to at least wind it a few times. Really unbelievable IMO. I fumbled around a lot but eventually got it set for him.

So I just throught it was kinda cool that, yes, *this forum* and my quest for a Hulk brought a YG GMT Master 2 with, don’t kill him, a president’s band, back from the dead; running again and seeing the light of day once again. I’m gonna have him send it in for a service before he gets too attached again I caught him checking it out a few times a dinner tonight.

I definitely do not look forward to the day that GMTII becomes mine, but it was such a fun experience for us all. The whole thing really gave me an entirely different perspective on both what these little machines really are, and what they can actually mean.

I CANNOT wait to join the club. For now I’m hanging tight and hoping for some good news sometime down the line. The wait has just become that much more painful, and I’m starting to understand the excitement that goes along with the anticipation of “the call.”

I hope to share photos and not just ramblings with you all sometime soon. Send a little Hulk mojo my way, friends...Cheers
Msb06c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:02 PM   #2
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Nice to share your watch/Rolex experience with your family. Most of us share this hobby in isolation. :)

I'm also waiting for a Hulk, but I'm generally not lucky so I'll probably be waiting a very long time. :(

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:18 PM   #3
easterbunny
"TRF" Member

Great share!
easterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:28 PM   #4
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
Good luck in your search , sending good vibes your way!
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:43 PM   #5
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
Great story.... thank you for sharing... please keep us up to date
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:00 AM   #6
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
Cool story. Good luck with your quest.
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:11 AM   #7
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Cool story.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:28 AM   #8
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
That's great!
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:33 AM   #9
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
President GMT... I think we need pics!
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:44 AM   #10
KaVo8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes, Please!
Very cool story. Good luck with your quest. Just picked up mine from AD after 4 months wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2019, 01:48 AM   #11
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msb06c View Post
don’t kill him, a president’s band, back from the dead; running again and seeing the light of day once again. I’m gonna have him send it in for a service before he gets too attached again I caught him checking it out a few times a dinner tonight.

I definitely do not look forward to the day that GMTII becomes mine
Do you have pics?

1. Do you mean jubilee or actually a president bracelet from the DD?

2. Not looking forward to receiving the watch because that means your father passed away? Else I wouldn't understand.

Depending on the state, I wouldn't get the watch polished. Only service the movement to keep it crisp.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:57 AM   #12
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Great story! Thanks for sharing. Would love to see pics of the GMT with the President bracelet. I am thinking that they would actually go fairly well together, if you block out the thought that a President should only belong on a Day Date.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 02:08 AM   #13
pandrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
Great story! Thanks for sharing. Would love to see pics of the GMT with the President bracelet. I am thinking that they would actually go fairly well together, if you block out the thought that a President should only belong on a Day Date.
+1 I would love to see some pictures as well.
pandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 06:07 AM   #14
Msb06c
"TRF" Member

Thanks for reading and all the kind words.

The type of band was a big topic of discussion for us before we went to go get the watch. From memory I remember it being lots of small links, so I was 100% sure it was a gold jubilee bracelet, where my dad swore both of them have presidents bands. Turns out he was correct. Didn’t even think to snap a pic of the unusual combo! I’m glad I checked in here right before I hit the airport. I got a few pics that I’ll share a little later, once I’m through security and figure out the best way how. Usually I use imgur, as a redditor.

Anyways. Pics will shortly follow. Happy I get to share. Cheers.
Old 17 February 2019, 06:21 AM   #15
Zippo
"TRF" Member

I’m actually in Miami now on vacation - was thinking of popping in to same AD’s in hopes of getting lucky. Guess it’s not worth the effort? I’m from Toronto and the inventory situation up there is pretty terrible. I’m very lucky to already have a Hulk that I bought back in 2011 when people were still hating on it ��.
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 06:46 AM   #16
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Cool post. Would be nice to see some pics of that watch.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 06:47 AM   #17
Msb06c
"TRF" Member

Uh, Can’t even post a photo because I have less than 10 posts. Need to BS a few more posts and I’ll be back

Zippo there are only a few ADs down here. A few mayors, a boutique on the beach, and Tourneau. If it’s raining (or in my case, not windy enough) it’s still probably worth checking. The problem is everything is so sprawled out. With the horrendous traffic it can be time consuming. Not like NYC where I can hit like 4 ADs within 15-20 mins. Good luck!
Old 17 February 2019, 06:51 AM   #18
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
The thrill is in the hunt. Good luck! Hope you get a hulk.
Old 17 February 2019, 07:02 AM   #19
Msb06c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
Nice to share your watch/Rolex experience with your family. Most of us share this hobby in isolation. :)
Didn’t even think about this. It has been a wonderful experience for us. And you’re right. I really only geek out on here, and even that has been 100% lurking in the background and just reading. Its not the same as sharing with loved ones or even internet strangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Do you have pics?

1. Do you mean jubilee or actually a president bracelet from the DD?

2. Not looking forward to receiving the watch because that means your father passed away? Else I wouldn't understand.

Depending on the state, I wouldn't get the watch polished. Only service the movement to keep it crisp.
1. Pics are coming shortly. It’s a presidents band put on my the original owner. It came that way from their AD.

2. Yes, I don’t expect or wouldn’t want his watch until then. It’s his and I want him to enjoy it. I’m just really happy he came to appreciate the piece again and is giving it some new life.

I won’t let him polish it nor will I. It’s pretty bashed up but I don’t care!
Old 17 February 2019, 07:07 AM   #20
Msb06c
"TRF" Member

Ok I should now meet the requirements to link pics. Let’s give this a shot. Already through security. Snapped these about 3 seconds before entering the airport, so apologies in advance for the crappy photos. My father bought this watch preowned about 15ish years ago, so the president band was the doing of the original owner, although he loves it and it matches my moms lady dj on president nicely

Pops’ GMTII “President” apologies in advance if the pics don’t load properly... bracelet is slightly large for my wrist.

Last edited by Msb06c; 17 February 2019 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: Pics def not working lol
Old 17 February 2019, 07:31 AM   #21
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Cool story. That's a Jubilee band.
Old 17 February 2019, 07:38 AM   #22
Msb06c
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the false alarm. Noob mistake. Like I said, without seeing it I predicted it was a jubilee band. When I saw it the closure threw me off. I thought that clean hidden clasp thing was only on presidents bands. Sorry to disappoint guys!
Old 17 February 2019, 07:55 AM   #23
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

nice watch. that bracelet looks toast though, i would try to fix it up if its not too expensive
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:17 AM   #24
paulbrl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 "Coke"
Great story and a beautiful watch!
paulbrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:48 AM   #25
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Looking for a Hulk had some pretty unintended consequences....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msb06c View Post
Sorry for the false alarm. Noob mistake. Like I said, without seeing it I predicted it was a jubilee band. When I saw it the closure threw me off. I thought that clean hidden clasp thing was only on presidents bands. Sorry to disappoint guys!

That isn’t a false alarm. In the era it was made that bracelet was commonly called a President. The Jubilees had a tuna can clasp back then and were called - you guessed it - a Jubilee.

Nowadays the Jubilees also have hidden clasps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 05:09 PM   #26
KaVo8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes, Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVo8 View Post
Very cool story. Good luck with your quest. Just picked up mine from AD after 4 months wait.

Old 19 February 2019, 05:18 PM   #27
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Great to read a different sorta story on here for a change and glad this hobby of ours gave you and your folks a memorable weekend.

I remember my father enthusiastically talking to me about his watches but unfortunately I wasn’t interested at the time and now that I would love such a conversation he’s no longer with us. Reminds me to be patient with my kids and my watch excitement!

ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 05:18 PM   #28
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
P.S. Good luck with the Hulk hunt

ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 11:38 PM   #29
Headhunter007
"TRF" Member