The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 7 February 2008, 10:44 AM   #61
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Aykun, don't worry, I shall not trouble you with my dead watches again. You can relax and buy your watch elsewhere. I hope you get a chance to see it before buying it so you are truly happy.

David, I hope your interpretation is correct!

Nancy, glad you liked the story! My nephew wants to go to college and become a Marine Officer. If he does that, the Rolex will be his. Thanks for making me think about it!
Old 7 February 2008, 11:05 AM   #62
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Aykun, those scratches CAN be polished out so that Robert's GMT IIc looks LNIB, also the pin mark! I have seen deeper scratches on Rolex watches that could not be seen after RSC service.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
Old 7 February 2008, 01:20 PM   #63
Gerry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Series 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Aykun, those scratches CAN be polished out so that Robert's GMT IIc looks LNIB, also the pin mark! I have seen deeper scratches on Rolex watches that could not be seen after RSC service.
Bo, I think it's over and done with and Robert's not offering the watch to Aykun now.

Aykun, for what it's worth, I think Robert did the right thing by showing you the watch, scratches and all without trying to cover up anything. If you didn't want to go ahead, I think you could have been nicer about it. Your post comes across as rude. Anyway, good luck with your search and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Kind Regards,
Gerry
Old 7 February 2008, 01:33 PM   #64
ezmoney46

Watch: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBender View Post
Aykun, I would forget the watch dealer.

Go with Roberts deal, get the watch you want from a fellow TRFer, save a few bucks. Then stand in the front window of the watch dealer with a big grin on your face whilst pointing to your new TT GMTC

Good luck
Yeah, he will then wish he had made you a deal without any deposit!
Old 7 February 2008, 01:56 PM   #65
jasonbellevue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
A friend of mine in my camera club recently passed away at 57 year of age. I hope his cameras were thrashed. I would hate to see the cameras looking as though they were mint and brand new out of the box. What would the point be then? Take a picture of a perfect watch and admire that. Life is meant to be lived and savored!

My Rolex TT GMTII is only 13 months old but it has lived. I bought it in Qatar where it saw the Doha games. It went to Florida and I learned to fly with it. Then California, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, and Istanbul six times and Moscow twice. I have worn it when firing my 9mm M9, my .223cal M4, an AT-4 rocket, and capping off 8 bricks of C-4. It has been with me in Embassies, SCIFs, Centcom HQs, and points I cannot even talk about. I keep it set for times in Dushanbe, Tampa, and Hawaii, and use them all. I traveled in 13 airplane flights in 2 weeks and needed every function the watch had. It was on my wrist when I met Karzai. It's the coolest watch here in the Embassy and likely in the entire country. When I started a calibration post here, I found that it gained 20 seconds a month. That's awesome. Now I am preparing for a run of 15 airplane flights in a row. Darned right it has scratches. I'm proud of every one of them. Other watches may have collapsed by now. But this is a Rolex. It is just warming up.

Aykun, I only asked to meet in the middle between two fixed, known pricepoints. Dealer buy price plus dealer sell price, divided by two. Plus free delivery straight through customs in a personal face to face transaction right at Istanbul airport. Don't like the watch? Simply pay my $20 visa fee and we keep smiling.

You PM'ed me with an offer a mere $140 less than that point. Now after seeing the scratches you publicly offer me $340 less. I'm sorry, but I picked this price for you and only for you.

I suppose you are better off with your local jewelers in finding a Rolex. I hope you find exactly what you want at the price you want. Sorry I couldn't help but it was worth a try. I withdraw this sales offer and hereby refer potential buyers to my offer as listed on the regular "for sale" boards. The watch is still up for grabs, no rush, and I will still get my SG Bluesy.

And when I get to Tampa, I may just pay my AD $50 to polish this one up for me. It can be a late one-year birthday present for all it has done for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by away36 View Post
This message touched my heart in ways I could not describe. I hope that in the end, you decide to keep this watch. The memories it holds are so much a part of who you are ( and oh my, you are such a wonderful person, Robert) that it should be a part of you until you can pass this wonderful treasure on to someone who will appreciate all that it represents to you and who will love hearing all the amazing stories that are connected with it. Robert.....every one of those scratches is a small mark that you have left on life.....not just your own, but of all whose lives are gratefully affected by yours.
Well said Nancy. I echo the same sentiments. Even just for what Robert had stated above (in bold letters), I will buy his watch in a heartbeat.

Robert that was a very nice gentlemanly gesture on your part. PM me if you're still interested in selling the watch. I will be honored to take it off your hands sir.
Old 7 February 2008, 02:11 PM   #66
astcell
"TRF" Member

There is a fable called "Sour Grapes" where a fox reaches for grapes but they are too far and he cannot get them. So then he walks away saying, "They are probably sour anyway." This way he can justify to others his inability to reach them.

There is a similar thought when it comes to repeating things. They say that you say something once to a person to convince them, a second time to convince others listening, and a third time to convince yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
...why and how a watch can be scratched like this and in 1 year short time I dont understand...
Okay you just told me you do not like my watch. The discussion should have ended.

Quote:
...your ROLEX has too many scratches and it will never be perfect even ceramic is scratched, dont loose even 1 second if you can sell with my deal to a jewellery,it s like a car at 200000miles in 13 months.
Now you told everyone.

Quote:
... his dead Rolex like a dead horse there isnt even just 1 sign of being used properly in any photos, Im disappointed and that's a dream to expect a proper look from a watch of a soldier that's used everywhere in earth...
And this post must be to try to convince yourself.

I'm stunned actually. I'm flabbergasted that you think my watch has 200,000 miles on it and I should not lose one second in selling it to a jeweler. Hearing that come from a person who has never owned a Rolex is unbelievable.

Sour grapes? Maybe.

My recommendations:
1. Only buy a Rolex in person. If you deal with mail, even if returnable, I am sure postage will exceed the $20 going rate for a visa.

2. Bring a loupe to check out the watch close up. If you end up returning the watch there may be a "restocking fee" and you may not wish to pay that.

3. Buy new and from an AD only. If the watch has any issues they can send it to Rolex and it will be repaired for free for the first year.

4. Buy with a credit card that doubles your warranty.

5. Be aware of the location of the seller. In many cultures it is standard to haggle. (I sold a laptop here in Dushanbe but the guy insisted that I toss in a 256MB USB stick. Without that the deal is dead.) I do not know how it works in Turkey, but when an American says a price is final, non-negotiable, or set, then not only do you not counter-offer a lesser amount, but to do so is in bad taste. The way we do it in America is for you to say, "Wow did you see that huge gash on the side of the watch?" and my reply will be "Yes I did." or "No I did not notice that. Because of that I will drop my price by $50. I am so embarassed." Also if we do drop the price you can be assured we raised it on the original offer with the intent to drop it. I would have happily added $140 to the price if I knew you wanted me to drop it by $140. This is just one of those cultural differences I suppose.

As my watch is off the table (and back on my wrist), anyone else with one for sale is free to step up to the plate with their photos and sales terms to help get Aykun the watch he wants.
Old 7 February 2008, 02:25 PM   #67
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Actually I am glad to see the (non) deal transpire the way it did, ie ONLINE and not in person in a crowded airport. I can only imagine that it would have been much more offensive had it happened face to face.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
Old 7 February 2008, 02:43 PM   #68
astcell
"TRF" Member

Well face to face I would hope he would just say "It is not doing anything for me. Thank you for your time." No other explanation is necessary.
Old 7 February 2008, 03:08 PM   #69
CPCC
"TRF" Member

Wow, this thread was intense.
Old 7 February 2008, 03:23 PM   #70
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcc View Post
You can say that again, pal. So much bicker-backer over a watch?

Why can't people just watch some cleavage instead.....and then buy the watch.....like I do!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 7 February 2008, 03:27 PM   #71
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Fun for the whole family.
Old 7 February 2008, 04:13 PM   #72
astcell
"TRF" Member

I just want Aykun to be sure of what he wants as he starts out. We found out he wants a perfect watch with no marks and no history. That ought to narrow down his search and he can not waste time on used watches.
Old 7 February 2008, 08:38 PM   #73
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Robert, I don't reckon anyone could have been fairer than you. You went out of your way to help Aykun and provide him with all of the information he needed. My hat's off to you!

Aykun, I'm very, VERY disappointed in the way you have conducted yourself here. You owe Robert an apology for insulting him in this manner.
Old 7 February 2008, 09:25 PM   #74
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
Well face to face I would hope he would just say "It is not doing anything for me. Thank you for your time." No other explanation is necessary.
That would have been the more appropriate way to handle it online as well.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
Old 7 February 2008, 10:18 PM   #75
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Hello my friends, I finally collected about 8300 USD for ROLEX

I've followed this thread and I'm a bit confused by it. Aykun, if you had no job and no hope on September 20th of last year, how on Earth did you get to where you can purchase an $8,000 Rolex in 4 1/2 months? When a member lands a new, great paying job, they're usually excited and post about it. Did I miss something?

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=22786

Quote:
Day will never come cause I ll not be able to continue to live, in my home I ve also a court soon in March and no money no job since 2 years.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Old 7 February 2008, 10:38 PM   #76
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
I've followed this thread and I'm a bit confused by it. Aykun, if you had no job and no hope on September 20th of last year, how on Earth did you get to where you can purchase an $8,000 Rolex in 4 1/2 months? When a member lands a new, great paying job, they're usually excited and post about it. Did I miss something?

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=22786
Well spotted, Al. Far as I can tell, Aykun started a new job in mid-January (http://www.rolexforums.com/showpost....6&postcount=40). What's that work out to, $9000 a month right off the starting line? I'm in the wrong racket, it seems.
Old 7 February 2008, 11:31 PM   #77
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Totally agree

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
Old 7 February 2008, 11:53 PM   #78
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Robert, you handled this with the true class of a gentleman. You gave Aykun every chance possible, and took pics of the watch from every angle. You didn't hide anything. This is what TRF is all about. Thank you for keeping on with we pride ourselves on.

Your watch has many stories to tell in the 13 months since you've had it. I can't think of a more deserving person for it to be passed on to than your nephew. He dederves it.

Aykun, you wanted everyone's sympathy for not having a job. Now you get one a month ago and have the funds for a TT GMT II. Where can I sign up to make that king of money?

You owe Robert a public apology for insulting him. Grow up and do the right thing.
Old 8 February 2008, 12:21 AM   #79
astcell
"TRF" Member

I just saw the post count on this thread. 79 posts! Wow! I kind of have to laugh. Please Aykun, get a watch! I doubt any other person looking for a watch has had this much assistance, except maybe President. Now that we know what he does not like, I am interested in what he does like and where he gets it.

As for high paying jobs, we have a 5-figure per month position (take home) open that folks look at, shake their head, and move on.
Old 8 February 2008, 12:50 AM   #80
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Hey Robert, you guys looking for any Singaporean ex-paratroopers?

Actually, forget it - my wife would kill me before anyone with an AK-47 will.
Old 8 February 2008, 01:17 AM   #81
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Clock? Like yours?
Yes, I have a very nice grandfather clock that has passed down from generation to generation. It's mahogany, about 8' tall, sterling silver and gold dial/hands, mercury pendulum regulator. Accuracy much tighter than COSC, I keep it about +1 sec/month.

I love clocks, like I love watches!
Old 8 February 2008, 04:43 AM   #82
Obsession
Banned

Watch: Tissot Seastar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
I'm going to cut you a little slack Aykun since you obviously don't have a great grasp of the English language. I am sure what you are trying to say to Robert is thank you for your kind offer to sell me your watch and go out of your way to do this for me. Further I am sure you meant to add you appreciate his watch but you would like to purchase a new watch so I can get the enjoyment out of being the first to wear it. I am sure you would not be intentionally talking negatively about his beautiful watch that a simple polish job would make look fabulous nor did you intentionally compare it to a dead animal when you can see it is neither dead or an animal.

If we were to assume you meant these things than that would mean you are neither a gentleman nor a person of class and we would like to believe you are so I am going to chalk your comments up to a language problem and not one of being an inconsiderate ass.
First of all my English level is non of your business please keep your ideas in yourself here Im looking for a clean OR new GMT2, GMT2 C is so so new and Robert's watch has more mistakes than scrtatches first nobody can not say that all problem is the softness of gold if so I ll just sword really sword to he or she. If you ve eyes you can see that steel parts has more scratch pin worn hurt than gold parts so is steel also soft ? Dont be funny. By the way even crown is turned very very strongly with a material or teeth cause the logo looks to down even. Even his watch is okay or not for me its between buyer and seller not the third party. I hope you understand my English.
Old 8 February 2008, 04:46 AM   #83
Obsession
Banned

Quote:
Aykun, don't worry, I shall not trouble you with my dead watches again. You can relax and buy your watch elsewhere. I hope you get a chance to see it before buying it so you are truly happy.

David, I hope your interpretation is correct!

Nancy, glad you liked the story! My nephew wants to go to college and become a Marine Officer. If he does that, the Rolex will be his. Thanks for making me think about it!
Ohh okay thank you also for sharing photos with all mistakes instead of hiding it and I had idea yes and some members here understood wrong a person's watchs situation and his job and personality are so different things even the product that is for sale is like a trash.
Old 8 February 2008, 04:51 AM   #84
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
This thread is on the verge of being closed. I see no useful purpose in it whatsoever. If someone else posts a negative comment or beats up on another member publicly, I will shut it down faster than you can unclasp your Rolex!!!
Old 8 February 2008, 04:52 AM   #85
Obsession
Banned

Quote:
There is a fable called "Sour Grapes" where a fox reaches for grapes but they are too far and he cannot get them. So then he walks away saying, "They are probably sour anyway." This way he can justify to others his inability to reach them.

There is a similar thought when it comes to repeating things. They say that you say something once to a person to convince them, a second time to convince others listening, and a third time to convince yourself.

Okay you just told me you do not like my watch. The discussion should have ended.

Now you told everyone.

And this post must be to try to convince yourself.

I'm stunned actually. I'm flabbergasted that you think my watch has 200,000 miles on it and I should not lose one second in selling it to a jeweler. Hearing that come from a person who has never owned a Rolex is unbelievable.

Sour grapes? Maybe.

My recommendations:
1. Only buy a Rolex in person. If you deal with mail, even if returnable, I am sure postage will exceed the $20 going rate for a visa.

2. Bring a loupe to check out the watch close up. If you end up returning the watch there may be a "restocking fee" and you may not wish to pay that.

3. Buy new and from an AD only. If the watch has any issues they can send it to Rolex and it will be repaired for free for the first year.

4. Buy with a credit card that doubles your warranty.

5. Be aware of the location of the seller. In many cultures it is standard to haggle. (I sold a laptop here in Dushanbe but the guy insisted that I toss in a 256MB USB stick. Without that the deal is dead.) I do not know how it works in Turkey, but when an American says a price is final, non-negotiable, or set, then not only do you not counter-offer a lesser amount, but to do so is in bad taste. The way we do it in America is for you to say, "Wow did you see that huge gash on the side of the watch?" and my reply will be "Yes I did." or "No I did not notice that. Because of that I will drop my price by $50. I am so embarassed." Also if we do drop the price you can be assured we raised it on the original offer with the intent to drop it. I would have happily added $140 to the price if I knew you wanted me to drop it by $140. This is just one of those cultural differences I suppose.

As my watch is off the table (and back on my wrist), anyone else with one for sale is free to step up to the plate with their photos and sales terms to help get Aykun the watch he wants.
Thats not culture difference, always discounts are possible even at Ebay US sellers and all around the world if the product is such an expensive used watch. I saw more after looking 2. time and even 5000 USD is too much for it.
I will buy my first ever ROLEX in my entire life that may be true but I used and sold more than 20 different kinds of watches and I had never seen a watch that is being blowed like this in 13 months young age. Good luck with selling it,I'm sure that it will be so much easy to sell it to a person that hadnt ROLEX in his entire life before.
Old 8 February 2008, 04:52 AM   #86
Obsession
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
This thread is on the verge of being closed. I see no useful purpose in it whatsoever. If someone else posts a negative comment or beats up on another member publicly, I will shut it down faster than you can unclasp your Rolex!!!
Totally I agree!
Old 8 February 2008, 04:55 AM   #87
Obsession
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
What about the bezel and crown and the logo on it they need really seriously being serviced and also case and bracelet will loose thickness after being polished it will look like Rolex from 60s.I never expected this comment from you my dear friend BO as a regular Rolex buyer as you are.
Old 8 February 2008, 05:02 AM   #88
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
That's it. I'm closing this thread.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 8 February 2008, 05:11 AM   #89
Prince