The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which breed should we choose?
Mini-Schnauzer 20 22.22%
Jack Russell Terrier 36 40.00%
Mini-Labradoodle 15 16.67%
Mini-Goldendoodle 19 21.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 December 2017, 02:52 AM   #31
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
As a dog lover, just a little something to ponder :

“for every dog you buy, a precious homeless pound puppy gets put to death”

Buy a dog and kill another ....................... choices
https://youtu.be/0MRmxfLuNto
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 03:00 AM   #32
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Best of all worlds to me.
1. RESCUE
2. Hypoallergenic
3. Small (size is a relative word)
4. Awesome personality.

@rosiethegreat214 on IG.

Standard Poodle. 50 lbs We used to hav St. Bernard’s so she is small to us. Biggest thing to remember with the non shedding dogs is, just like non shedding humans, they need to be groomed. We pay $100 a month to keep her coat presentable. Also a lot of the hypoallergenic breeds can have dietary issues. I have seen it a lot. Her food (Acana Appalachian Ranch) is $85 a bag and we go thru one a month. So sans regular vet bills which are minimal for us it is a couple hundred a month to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 03:11 AM   #33
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
1. RESCUE
2. Hypoallergenic
4. Awesome personality.

@rosiethegreat214 on IG.

Standard Poodle. 50 lbs We used to hav St. Bernard’s so she is small to us. Biggest thing to remember with the non shedding dogs is, just like non shedding humans, they need to be groomed. We pay $100 a month to keep her coat presentable. Also a lot of the hypoallergenic breeds can have dietary issues. I have seen it a lot. Her food (Acana Appalachian Ranch) is $85 a bag and we go thru one a month. So sans regular vet bills which are minimal for us it is a couple hundred a month to start.
Hey Brandon: I adore your dog! What a beauty, and so huggable!
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 03:13 AM   #34
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
A friend of mine has two labradoodles and they are both delightful animals. They are fairly intelligent and friendly with a loud bark good for home protection.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 03:32 AM   #35
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
What about going to the local shelter and the family finding one you all like?

Imagine how special that would be for everyone (including the dog) for Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I agree. If you are set on. Schnauzer pup I understand but there are so many great puppies available at shelters and many are pure bred or close to it.
Old 4 December 2017, 03:57 AM   #36
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Hey Brandon: I adore your dog! What a beauty, and so huggable!

Thank you. She is delightful. And we have had a LOT of different breeds. Saints, GSD, labs, Bassett hound. Good size, good bark and no hair. And easy to find people to volunteer to watch her if we go out of town.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 05:56 AM   #37
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I cannot thank each and every one you enough for your sincere advice and amazing stories!

Thank you for helping us get closer to a final decision.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 05:57 AM   #38
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I cannot thank each and every one you enough for your sincere advice and amazing stories!

Thank you for helping us get closer to a final decision.
Looking forward to pics.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 06:48 AM   #39
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

Jack Russell gets my vote! Mine is my best gal
Old 4 December 2017, 07:07 AM   #40
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
A Rat Terrier makes a great 4-leg family member. Meets many of your Wife's preferences.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 07:43 AM   #41
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex

You may want to check out the Cairn Terrier. They are described as a big dog in a small dogs body. Stubborn as they get but a great breed!!

datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 08:04 AM   #42
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Funny....doing the same.

We are surprising the kids, who have been asking for YEARS, with a dog. Ive been around dogs when I was young, but since then Ive developed allergies. Im allergic to all dogs (yes, even the ‘hypo-allergenic’ ones -LOL) but my reaction to Schnauzers is among the lightest. This works out well because they are one of my favorite dogs. My folks had a female mini that was so impressive. Super smart, great with people, energetic and justa plain good ol’dog. So for us = easy decision.

Sssh....dont tell the kids its a surprise ;) Hardest secret Ive had to keep.

6 week old pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C940D3C1-B028-4178-A252-A448F45C1B9D.jpeg (123.4 KB, 120 views)
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 08:32 AM   #43
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:

Imagine how special that would be for everyone (including the dog) for Christmas.

Old 4 December 2017, 08:34 AM   #44
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES77 View Post

I’m comfortable with my words and wouldn’t retract any of them, on the internet nor in person.
Old 4 December 2017, 09:19 AM   #45
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
Funny....doing the same.

We are surprising the kids, who have been asking for YEARS, with a dog. Ive been around dogs when I was young, but since then Ive developed allergies. Im allergic to all dogs (yes, even the ‘hypo-allergenic’ ones -LOL) but my reaction to Schnauzers is among the lightest. This works out well because they are one of my favorite dogs. My folks had a female mini that was so impressive. Super smart, great with people, energetic and justa plain good ol’dog. So for us = easy decision.

Sssh....dont tell the kids its a surprise ;) Hardest secret Ive had to keep.

6 week old pic:
That's awesome!!

Darn cute puppy!

Old 4 December 2017, 09:24 AM   #46
Nicoleinfl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ballon Bleu
Just one more piece of advice! Don’t get a dog if you expect your child to take care of it. After a few weeks the novelty wears off and they move onto other things. If you can accept that you will be fully responsible for the new baby, go for it!

Nicoleinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 09:25 AM   #47
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by JES77 View Post
Tragically since I bought both of mine from a breeder I am appreantly responisible for the death of two sheleter dogs. Not the owners who turned them over to the shelter but me for not adopting them. I guess mine simply never would have been born if I had never brought them home at five months old.
You’re quite the prick
Old 4 December 2017, 09:34 AM   #48
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I have a lot to say, but I’ll try and be brief.

I’ve had dogs from the pound, the street a breeder and the store. I have found that most dogs adjust to the way their family treats them. Sure, different breeds will have different “traits” but a lot of their personality comes from their environment.

It is unfortunate, but often times pound dogs can come with a lot of baggage or even illness. It’s great when it works out, but it’s horrible when it doesn’t.

The dog in my pic is schnauzer (breeder). His ears were not cut, which I prefer. Mine passed, but I have 4 friends in my life that currently have schnauzers because they fell in love with him. He was an incredible dog and a great friend.

A schnauzer will act like a tough dog but give you all the benefits of a small dog. They are bred to hunt vermin, so they are very athletic. They also tend to bark. A lot. Small dogs though are so much easier to care for, it’s not even fair to compare.

We currently have a chihuahua mix (from the pound). He’s a sweetheart but can definitely be a douche bag too.

We also have a cockapoo (from a store). She is hypoallergenic (mostly) and is an amazing dog. When she looks at you, with her giant brown eyes, you can see she is thinking. No shedding at all. Very affectionate. But also very hyper and needs a ton of attention.

I think out of all the dogs that needed saving, she needed it the most. Store dogs are just a commodity and are often times treated the worst. The store owners I bought her from were scumbags and got arrested and shut down for animal abuse two weeks after I got her.

So here’s the thing. All dogs need a lot of attention. Their greatest joy is to be loved by a human. They are a lot of work, but it’s worth it. They bring a ton of joy

I’m allergic to dogs. I kid you not, I wash my hands literally every time I touch a dog. Even a hypoallergenic dog. So I wash my hands a LOT. But I would not live without a dog in my life.

In every way, you get what you give. If you put in a lot of effort and love, you will get that back. If you don’t, it will be bad for everyone.

I think I know you well enough, and you are going to provide some lucky dog with a great home and life. I’m excited for you.

I’m no trainer and no expert, but I’ve been around dogs my entire life. I nearly made it my career while in college (long story). If I can ever help with advise, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
Hi Seth, thanks for sharing this and really sorry about superdog. He looks like he was a totally awesome dog. The Schnauzers we're looking at have their tails cropped but their ears natural which I think is perfect. It's funny because the photos the breeder sent, each and everyone one of them has unique personalities shining through already! I'll post the 5 - there are 2 males and 3 females. It's looking like the Schnauzer will be our final choice, it's nearly impossible to find a Jack Russell right now but maybe in the future we'll have two doggies running around the house.

Old 4 December 2017, 09:43 AM   #49
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoleinfl View Post
Just one more piece of advice! Don’t get a dog if you expect your child to take care of it. After a few weeks the novelty wears off and they move onto other things. If you can accept that you will be fully responsible for the new baby, go for it!

Great advice and we talked about this in length. He's a pretty bright kid and understands the responsibility which will also be shared by all of us. The puppy won't be a surprise per se because we had to talk about the commitment and the responsibility together as a family. We live in San Francisco, homes are small and yards. But we live only a block away from a wonderful park. Geez, I hope that doesn't sound too Brady Bunch-ish?

Old 4 December 2017, 09:48 AM   #50
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Hi Seth, thanks for sharing this and really sorry about superdog. He looks like he was a totally awesome dog. The Schnauzers we're looking at have their tails cropped but their ears natural which I think is perfect. It's funny because the photos the breeder sent, each and everyone one of them has unique personalities shining through already! I'll post the 5 - there are 2 males and 3 females. It's looking like the Schnauzer will be our final choice, it's nearly impossible to find a Jack Russell right now but maybe in the future we'll have two doggies running around the house.
This is great.

You are going to be thrilled. They are such awesome dogs. I too love the cropped tail, natural ear thing. I kept Parker’s (after Peter Parker) hair even and a little fluffy. He was a very happy dog. I think that’s part of being a dog, but also a big part of being a schnauzer. Can’t wait to see pics.

Exciting!!!

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 09:51 AM   #51
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ also love jack russels. They are great. But clearly I’m biased.

Old 4 December 2017, 09:53 AM   #52
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
I’m comfortable with my words and wouldn’t retract any of them, on the internet nor in person.
You are entitled to your opinion.

But thankfully, it’s only that...an opinion. It’s just not factual.

Old 4 December 2017, 09:55 AM   #53
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
1. RESCUE
2. Hypoallergenic
4. Awesome personality.

@rosiethegreat214 on IG.

Beautiful!

Old 4 December 2017, 09:58 AM   #54
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
It's hard to find a brighter, more loyal and fun-loving dog than the Jack Russell Terrier.

My wife got a Jack Russel once. Great looking breed but they can also be extremely hyper active. Maybe it was something we didn’t do but it’s also something I wish we hadn’t. We got rid of it shortly after we got it.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 10:00 AM   #55
waQstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16760
Boston terrier is worth a look at, small size, great for people with allergies and smart as heck, very low maintenance and known as th American gentleman
Old 4 December 2017, 10:04 AM   #56
Laszlo

The breeder sent these photos yesterday and the Black and Tan females are awesome.

Old 4 December 2017, 10:06 AM   #57
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Holy cow. They are all crazy cute.

The black one is a looker. Love the look of that dog.

Old 4 December 2017, 10:10 AM   #58
Andad

Watch: A few.
From your short list i chose the mini Schnauzer.

My wife and I have always had a West Highland terrier as part of our family until Harris left us last year at 17 years old.

He knows he's not allowed to sleep there........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6030085r.jpg (254.6 KB, 109 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 10:15 AM   #59
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:

Yes. Great idea!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 11:52 AM   #60
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
I will put another vote in for rescue. I believe strongly in this as I have rescued dogs and cats myself and volunteered at dog rescues.
It's simple supply and demand. Rescues have more supply than demand usually and they can't control the supply. Breeders can control the supply. If they can not sell the dogs then they will breed less dogs. If more people rescued dogs then breeders would breed less and less would be put down.
One of the arguments against rescue is temperament. You don't know what you are getting or the dog was surrendered for a reason. As stated in a previous post, you get what you put in. I have worked with and personally rescued dogs with behavioral issues and it is rare one won't come around as long as you put in the work. From my experience many dogs are in rescues because people won't put in the work required to properly train.

Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote