The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 December 2018, 07:22 AM   #1
madgpol
"TRF" Member

Did I do the right thing?

Ok, interested in hearing your opinions on this. My partner is from a small island. We have previously been in to the AD to enquire about a SS skydweller blue for my 50th. Name taken and no promises.
Visiting family again and pop in. They remember us which I took as a good sign. Talk skydweller and told it will be difficult as we're not customers. Took this as a sign we needed to make purchases. No problems. Mentioned partner would like an oyster perpetual. Told this will help but need to buy bigger if I want access to the skydweller.
See a white gold Daytona oysterflex in window, which I like, and say I'd take that if I could have the skydweller.
Told that would help immensely but the watches would have to be put in my partner's name as she is from the island.
I kind of accept it until I'm told that I can't have the tags and the outer box. Rolex policy I'm told.
Being a collector I want the whole package but told it's not possible.
At this point I have a choice to make to accept or walk away. I decided to walk away.
All watches at retail no discount.
If this is the game Rolex want to play then I'm done with them. I'll just be content with what I have. Thoughts
madgpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 07:26 AM   #2
The Sub-lime One
"TRF" Member

Walk away.

Judging from what I’ve seen recently (family/friends issues) try and keep your prized possessions in your name.
The Sub-lime One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 07:28 AM   #3
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Odd that. I bought a Blusey from my AD yesterday. Not only did they give me the outer sleeve, they made a point of putting both tags in the box and telling me that the green one was vital and should always be kept my me.

They also said that they would not be retaining the warranty card for 12 months, despite Rolex encouraging them to do so. So it seems that in my UK AD at least, "Rolex Policy" is at the AD's discretion and interpretation.

And I got a discount.

Don't think I would have given your AD any of my money. But it's your money, your life and your choice.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 07:29 AM   #4
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Same here. I’m in dallas Texas and I was given all documents , packaging including coffin. The guy who got the Pepsi they gave him all his stuff also
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 07:31 AM   #5
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
I feel that you did the right thing.

I feel that they put you in a tight spot.

Look elsewhere
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 07:36 AM   #6
dwatcher
Banned

Watch: Luxury Watches
Your not far from the right thing. Do what you have to do
dwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 07:36 AM   #7
The Sub-lime One
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Odd that. I bought a Blusey from my AD yesterday. Not only did they give me the outer sleeve, they made a point of putting both tags in the box and telling me that the green one was vital and should always be kept my me.

They also said that they would not be retaining the warranty card for 12 months, despite Rolex encouraging them to do so. So it seems that in my UK AD at least, "Rolex Policy" is at the AD's discretion and interpretation.

And I got a discount.

Don't think I would have given your AD any of my money. But it's your money, your life and your choice.
Two tone Rolex sports models are no way in demand as their stainless steel counterparts. Plenty of discounts still available if you have purchase history. If you don’t then slap bang wollop
The Sub-lime One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 07:36 AM   #8
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Makes no sense. Why not supply a box, weird
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 07:37 AM   #9
skiahh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, X-33
Won't sell to an off-islander. Buy something to become a customer... but no, that's not expensive enough to be considered a "worthwhile" customer. Then play stupid games that say, after spending excess money, that we don't trust you and will hold part of your purchase for a year (outer box? really??).

You did exactly the right thing. Once they coerced you into all this, who knows what would be next for the sucker they've got on the hook before handing over the SD? Must buy yet another watch before they'd let you take delivery (of part of your purchase)?
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 07:38 AM   #10
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Yes.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 07:39 AM   #11
gtruex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii 16570
I will tell them they lost my business and I would go elsewhere.
gtruex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 07:48 AM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sub-lime One View Post
Two tone Rolex sports models are no way in demand as their stainless steel counterparts. Plenty of discounts still available if you have purchase history. If you don’t then slap bang wollop
I agree. The "all watches at retail with no discount" position of the AD in the OP is not so much questionable as instantly disprovable.

My AD said that out of the four Bluseys they have sold this year, I was the only buyer to ask for a discount. They must hate people like me!

The behaviour of the AD in the OP sounds like more of an AD problem than a Rolex problem. Some ADs have forgotten how to sell. They will rue the day. One day.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 07:51 AM   #13
zengineer
"TRF" Member

It sounds like you walked away purely over the outer box or just the cardboard sleeve?

It's your watch but you lost me even before the boxes and tags when you started buying up everything in inventory just to get something not in stock.

Who's name it's in either doesn't matter, isn't even defined or could be dealt with between you, your partner and an online paralegal. A watch isn't a car or house, they don't have titles.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 07:55 AM   #14
harvey
"TRF" Member

Jason, I think you did the wrong thing. It was a reference you clearly wanted whereby you were already prepared to buy another another and have it in you're partner's name.

Appreciate you're a collector, but I rather have the watch than the plastic (which you can source).
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 08:00 AM   #15
alphasports
"TRF" Member

I think you absolutely did the right thing.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 08:01 AM   #16
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

if they told me an OP wasn't enough and i agreed to also (or instead) take a PM daytona only to have them reply "that would help immensely but..." i would just straight up walk out
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 08:01 AM   #17
Rocket launcher
Banned

You either buy or not makes no difrance to the AD there are plenty who will buy....
You could always go grey less pull out in the long run as the sky dweller you are after is not really in the league of a stainless daytona or a GMT stainless jubilee
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 08:06 AM   #18
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Yes you did the right thing

It is just a watch, not worth the grief. Plenty of nice quality watches out there to buy. AD's and companies that actually want your business.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 08:09 AM   #19
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Right move.

Why the bloody heck does Rolex care about us 1-2-3 watch buyers (keeping boxes, keeping papers, keeping tags) when they give the grays (huge volume) all of that plus leave stickers on?!?

Rolex is making a direct hit. Too bad they aimed at the wrong target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 08:13 AM   #20
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Is the AD making you sign something agreeing to not getting those things?

If not, just buy the watch, walk out the door and walk back in and say you forgot the box that comes with the watch. When they refuse call the police. They come and you very unemotionally tell them the store is holding onto your belongings and even though you have a receipt proving you paid, they won’t give them to you.

I’m guessing you get all your stuff.

Of course, forget getting anything else from that AD.

Old 1 December 2018, 08:16 AM   #21
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Yeah, I think you're right on track.

So you have to be a citizen of the island to buy a watch from them. And since when does Rolex policy preclude the customer getting the box...or the hang tags? Hmm...it all adds up to a big NO GO for me.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 08:23 AM   #22
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Is the AD making you sign something agreeing to not getting those things?

If not, just buy the watch, walk out the door and walk back in and say you forgot the box that comes with the watch. When they refuse call the police. They come and you very unemotionally tell them the store is holding onto your belongings and even though you have a receipt proving you paid, they won’t give them to you.

I’m guessing you get all your stuff.

Of course, forget getting anything else from that AD.

Now that would be ballsy I would love to see how it'd play out from afar though.
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 08:31 AM   #23
juktagt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Thats odd.

I think you did correct.
Old 1 December 2018, 08:32 AM   #24
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I would never participate in the circus act. There are still ADs that know how to take care of their customers.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 09:58 AM   #25
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
I would never participate in the circus act. There are still ADs that know how to take care of their customers.
Yes, but few of them have the watch we want. So, when you run across one, you are suddenly thrust into the circus. You can choose to leave the big tent of play the game, how you play is up to you.

For me, I just go to my "guy" who takes care of me. By that, I mean he is reasonable on his market pricing, sometimes over MSRP and sometimes below, but always favorable vs. his list. I refuse the play the AD kabuki dance as my time is far too valuable to me.
Old 1 December 2018, 10:45 AM   #26
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I don't blame you at all. My AD would never pull that on me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 10:48 AM   #27
faaaaaaaasterrrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Another One?
I’d walk away, and honestly it seems like a really horrible time to be establishing a relationship with an AD.
faaaaaaaasterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 11:15 AM   #28
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

What is the outer box?
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 11:38 AM   #29
penguinrolex
"TRF" Member

Unless they had the sky-dweller right there ready to deliver, don't buy the WG. Get them at same time and pay at same time. Smaller state (and territory...) dealers have these restrictions and are abiding by them. Larger established ad sometimes bend the rules, esp if they are convinced you are not a flipper.
Personally I would have done the deal - but only if they had both watches to deliver right then. And I respect a lot of others wont do the deal unless they get all that stuff.
penguinrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 11:56 AM   #30
arcentaur
"TRF" Member

You did the right thing. As end users, we should refuse to accept punishment from Rolex for what the ADs themselves have been doing, i.e., backdoor deals with greys.
arcentaur is offline   Reply With Quote