The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 December 2018, 05:26 PM   #1
betterwatchit
"TRF" Member

Discussion for early retirees ....

Hello all,
I know many people have retired at an early age, say 40s or early 50s.

I’m late 40s, ready to retire from my main career, at least on one level, but am not really sure what I’d do with my time. Finance not an issue as I’m all set comfortably.

So, for those of you that have retired early, how have you spent your time? Have you found a ‘purpose’? Or, have you been content just taking the days as they come?

I’m considering going back to university for the enjoyment only (masters or PhD in in a new area), maybe expedition-challenge type travel, or maybe interspersing interesting work-style contracts with periods of rest, travel etc ...

I’m really interested in all perspectives, I’m sure there are others in a similar situation, or maybe those thinking about retirement ...

Thanks!
betterwatchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I have no desire to retire regardless of finances. If my mind isn't doing a million things a minute I'd surely go mad. Lot's of respect for those who can, but personally, that's pretty much being dead.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 09:00 PM   #3
betterwatchit
"TRF" Member

Yes, I’m fairly similar, hence the thoughts about studying again, but in a different area, perhaps with a second, more fun, career in mind, but perhaps just for the pure learning.
Old 29 December 2018, 09:04 PM   #4
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Hey – If you can afford it and you don’t think you will miss work I say do it.

I am a late 50s and have decided to start working less, with no desire to fully retire as I enjoy being active and like/need the income.

It sounds like you have a plan to keep yourself active with the study (which I would consider a massive punishment) - I think it’s important to have and do interests.

I can easily fill my day playing my chosen sports, reading, gardening, walking etc and will join the ‘National trust’ to tick off some of their many monuments, buildings and places of interest.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 09:10 PM   #5
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Still some way off for me, and I’m very lucky to enjoy my work immensely.

Once the time comes, there is a lot of travel we would like to do and some charitable pursuits.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 10:04 PM   #6
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
With me it was slightly different as due to local government costsaving my department was to be amalgamated and my job title scrapped, and I was offered a retirement redundancy package at 54 I just could not refuse. I didn't want to stop working, nor did I want the university further education route. I did some volunteer driving for a charity for a time, and then I spotted an opportunity as I needed to get my chimney swept and there was nobody near me who could do this, and the sweep that did this came from 40 miles away. I retrained as a chimney sweep, initially wanting to do 3 or 4 sweeps a week, this soon changed to doing 3 or 4 sweeps a day. I have never advertised, apart from appearing on the Guild of Master Sweeps website list, all jobs come from recommendations or word of mouth. I have got to a stage now where I cannot take on many more clients, my diary is full from September to Christmas next year, 2019, and in the summer when it is quieter, I try to keep a month completly free, so we can get away. I really enjoy this work, completely different from my career, with completely different responsibilities, I would recommend it to anyone, I am 64 next birthday, and cannot see myself packing up, unless, of course, nature, and old age dictate differently.
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 10:07 PM   #7
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the brush View Post
With me it was slightly different as due to local government costsaving my department was to be amalgamated and my job title scrapped, and I was offered a retirement redundancy package at 54 I just could not refuse. I didn't want to stop working, nor did I want the university further education route. I did some volunteer driving for a charity for a time, and then I spotted an opportunity as I needed to get my chimney swept and there was nobody near me who could do this, and the sweep that did this came from 40 miles away. I retrained as a chimney sweep, initially wanting to do 3 or 4 sweeps a week, this soon changed to doing 3 or 4 sweeps a day. I have never advertised, apart from appearing on the Guild of Master Sweeps website list, all jobs come from recommendations or word of mouth. I have got to a stage now where I cannot take on many more clients, my diary is full from September to Christmas next year, 2019, and in the summer when it is quieter, I try to keep a month completly free, so we can get away. I really enjoy this work, completely different from my career, with completely different responsibilities, I would recommend it to anyone, I am 64 next birthday, and cannot see myself packing up, unless, of course, nature, and old age dictate differently.

I love your story!! Congrats!
Travelair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 10:20 PM   #8
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
The happiest people I know in a similar situation, have taken something they really enjoy doing and turned it into a very small business.
Old 29 December 2018, 10:25 PM   #9
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
I did not retire 'early' but when I did, life was very boring. I am working again and have no regrets. Intend to keep this way as long as possible. I travel and now learning Golf in which I am a complete failure. No regrets again.
brkanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 10:36 PM   #10
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I have no desire to retire regardless of finances. If my mind isn't doing a million things a minute I'd surely go mad. Lot's of respect for those who can, but personally, that's pretty much being dead.
100% this. As long as I have my health I don't plan on retiring, I have a relatively light work load as I'm self employed and can continue for a long time provided I stay healthy.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 10:40 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m 51 and headed toward a semi retirement.

I’ve found purpose in volunteering and plan to do more of that once I’m fully retired.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 10:44 PM   #12
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I don’t foresee retirement. I’ll be retirement age as my son enters college... and have a (beautiful) old house requiring constant care.

I am hopeful my next career will be something I enjoy, as opposed to something I am exceptional at. Big difference from my perspective as I also need stimulation and am constantly bored at my current job despite the rather high technical challenges.

So I say, do what you love to do and if you can make a few bucks at it, great!
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 10:46 PM   #13
theloxmyth
Banned

Sweet!

Quote:
With me it was slightly different...I retrained as a chimney sweep...I am 64 next birthday, and cannot see myself packing up, unless, of course, nature, and old age dictate differently.
Love it, our school principal WAS a sweep and then a school teacher!

OP: Good for you. You have a great idea to expand your "world" and to do what you want to do, within reason.

theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 10:50 PM   #14
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have been retired for five years and was fortunate enough to retire at 49 with a nice pension based on 30 years of service. My wife has a good job and makes a fair amount of money so the finance end is stable and provides enough for us to live. I have two children that are still at home, with the oldest going to college next year and the other to follow in four years. I have not worked and have focused on my health, my relationships with family and friends and being active in my children's lives. I lost 35 pounds, walk 4 miles a day in around an hour and go to the gym for light weight training three days a week. I have corrected my sleep issues caused by years of working a rotating schedule and sleep through the night. My children know their father, for better or worse, as we have been able to spend a lot of time together. As an adult it has been the best five years of my life. I believe retirement is what you make it, like life. I also believe that time is the greatest commodity we trade in and no one knows how much they have left. There are and where so many other things I wanted to do beside work. I like retirement.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 11:06 PM   #15
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkanand View Post
I did not retire 'early' but when I did, life was very boring. I am working again and have no regrets. Intend to keep this way as long as possible. I travel and now learning Golf in which I am a complete failure. No regrets again.
I had to laugh about your comment about taking up golf and being a complete failure. I am 46 and just started golfing and it sounds like we would make great golf partners!
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 11:06 PM   #16
Floorguy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Retired 10 years ago at the age of 51. Long story short, don’t miss it at all!!! Play golf and honey do list keeps me busy!!!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 11:22 PM   #17
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
I was forced into a early retirement due to a health issue that would not allow me to continue down my trained path. That was at age 47 and was difficult to accept for a long time. Did a lot of soul searching and trying to figure out what I wanted in life. Had money, house, kids etc. Decided to volunteer with things and also turn my hobby up a bit and did pretty good with it.

Now older, lazier and enjoying just fixing stuff around the house and spending time with the wife and our animals. You will need something to occupy your time for sure. You have a great opportunity to go do something fun and maybe make a few bucks along the way. Most people I run into in this position always comment that they wish they had retired earlier. Enjoy
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 11:23 PM   #18
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Truly inspiring and you remind me of my father.

I will probably die working because I enjoy what I do and working at a relaxed pace and take just enough stress to stay alive.
Old 29 December 2018, 11:42 PM   #19
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
I can warmly recommend studying:
It is a lot more satisfying than 20 years ago!!!
Also some volunteer work to help other people is something to concider.
Life is short, let’s make the best out of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 11:47 PM   #20
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I was an Emergency Department physician for 26 years. I was assaulted by a patient and sustained a brain injury, losing some fine motor skills, balance and short term memory abilities. After a year on disability, the insurance company retested me and found slight improvement in motor skills. They discontinued benefits and advised me to go back to the ED. As my case manager said, "Give it a shot. See how it goes."

Not wanting to "see how it goes" only to find out it didn't go well, I retired at age 56. After spending 26 years in the high stress environment of the ED waiting for terrible things to happen to people and watching the clock for shift end, I began living a day at a time. I sleep regular hours, enjoy holidays with my friends and family, watch entire football and hockey games without interruption and love waking up every day to see what happens in life.

Not every effect of a brain injury is negative. Though I lost some IQ points, I can function well in life. Perhaps the most surprising change in my life is the loss of my Type A personality. I'm no longer constantly driven to work, succeed, excel, and produce. I'm the volunteer director of a ski patrol chapter at a local ski resort. I ride a mountain bike in the summer. I dabble in astronomy and photography. My spouse and I downsized and built a new house on a river and pond in the pines. I spend wonderful time with grandchildren, children, my spouse, my friends and myself. Some days, I do nothing "productive." Others are extremely busy. But every day, I do what I want.

Have I found purpose? Yes. Living intentionally. Cherishing every day instead of wishing it was over. The further I get from my ED career, the more I realize how difficult and painful it was to depersonalize my interactions with tragic situations. I feel feelings I stuffed years ago. I've never once wished I could undo my brain injury and return to work. The last six years have been the happiest and most peaceful of my life.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 12:44 AM   #21
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Discussion for early retirees ....

I think we need to stay engaged and keep the mind active somehow. How we all do that is different and I think you need to do whatever it takes to keep your sense of purpose. For some it is family and the increased involvement. For some it is volunteer work. For some it is a hobby or a new lower stress career.

I’m 43 and financially could only semi-retire if we made major life changes (sell the house we live in etc). And I would still have to do something to keep the brain working.

I have decided to leave my high stress “what have you done for me lately” corporate job and go back to my roots as buy into a financial advisory practice. It will be different and less financially rewarding for a couple years but much more emotionally rewarding now and long term. I got into this business 20 years ago to help people as I had a steady, well paying job in retail management. Made the move to the corporate side 10 years ago and while financially it has been very rewarding it has become much more of a burden and micromanagement exercise the last 5 years or so and I no longer enjoy it like I used to.

I am going into it with a great partner that is significantly older than I am and has a great base of clients I have worked with (thru her) for many years. Will be a lot of work, should be a great time, money should take care of itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 12:46 AM   #22
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I know it’s not really early, but I was planning to retire at 62, but now I’ve moved my date back to 57. The kids will be out of college, no debt, insurance benefits from the University, etc. Just no reason to keep grinding except the $$$. I won’t get the med view cottage anymore that I thought I wanted, and that’s just fine. I had a health scare and it changed my perspective 180 degrees. I like my job, I’m very good at it, and it is rewarding, but it can be very high stress. I’ve already made some changes to lighten my load, next will be a cut back to 80%, then 60, then out. I don’t know what I want to do or exactly what I’ll have when I retire but it will be more than enough by any measure. It’s nice to see these kinds of posts.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 01:07 AM   #23
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
I had to laugh about your comment about taking up golf and being a complete failure. I am 46 and just started golfing and it sounds like we would make great golf partners!
Haha....thank you Gary. You made my day!
brkanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 01:31 AM   #24
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I always wanted to retire at 55.
When that came around, I was enjoying my job so much that decided to go until 59 1/2.
I just retired on 11/30 and loving it, not looking back.
I have plenty of travel planned (left for a three week South America trip a few days after retirement) and lots of projects going on with home remodeling.
The couch won’t be seeing me much.
Old 30 December 2018, 02:01 AM   #25
betterwatchit
"TRF" Member

Wow. So many really interesting responses, thanks guys. It’s amazing to read about so many perspectives, opinions, experiences. I know I’m in a lucky position, so can take my time to try a few different options.
Old 30 December 2018, 02:03 AM   #26
betterwatchit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I always wanted to retire at 55.
When that came around, I was enjoying my job so much that decided to go until 59 1/2.
I just retired on 11/30 and loving it, not looking back.
I have plenty of travel planned (left for a three week South America trip a few days after retirement) and lots of projects going on with home remodeling.
The couch won’t be seeing me much.
This will definitely be my first 6 months. Travel being planned now!
Old 30 December 2018, 02:04 AM   #27
betterwatchit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
Congrats!
I can warmly recommend studying:
It is a lot more satisfying than 20 years ago!!!
Also some volunteer work to help other people is something to concider.
Life is short, let’s make the best out of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I’ve already looked into helping charities, with my professional experiences being welcome.
Old 30 December 2018, 02:06 AM   #28
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkanand View Post
its the conversation my wife and i have all the time and we are very different. She has to enjoy her job so retiring will be hard for her because its what she gets her feeling of being productive from. For me work is work and i would wash dishes 8 hours a day if you paid me enough so it is impossible for me to want to be at work out of some "joy or passion". I just vastly prefer everything else to work.

So it totally depends on where you get you feeling of self worth, or accomplishment... and for me its not the career, as that is means to an end, nothing more.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 02:09 AM   #29
betterwatchit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great story and glad you found a fun second career! We struggled to find a chimney sweep as well, so I can understand how busy you must be!
Old 30 December 2018, 02:16 AM   #30
betterwatchit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its the conversation my wife and i have all the time and we are very different. She has to enjoy her job so retiring will be hard for her because its what she gets her feeling of being productive from. For me work is work and i would wash dishes 8 hours a day if you paid me enough so it is impossible for me to want to be at work out of some "joy or passion". I just vastly prefer everything else to work.

So it totally depends on where you get you feeling of self worth, or accomplishment... and for me its not the career, as that is means to an end, nothing more.
Interesting. I’ve definitely enjoyed my work so far, and would struggle to stay motivated if it had just been a means to an end. However, once you reach a certain level, it becomes all-consuming, with an expectation that all else in life is lower priority. This just isn’t me. So, I’m taking the decision to walk away, and live on my terms now. It’s actually quite hard, as I love the stimulation, find the intellectual side, team working side, fascinating. Hence the idea of just the occasional contract I find interesting, done on my terms, with my time commitment.