The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2019, 12:44 PM   #31
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Wow! Rolex customers now have to spend half a million just to get the SS Daytona.

To put that in perspective, average american income is $61,000, median saving is $11,000 and many don't have retirement saving...That's crazy!

Yeh he literally said the owner of the chain of ADs all Daytona’s go through him and first. Dibs is 500k and above. Once those guys get them us poor guys get them haha
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:44 PM   #32
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Wow! Rolex customers now have to spend half a million just to get the SS Daytona.

To put that in perspective, average american income is $61,000, median saving is $11,000 and many don't have retirement saving...That's crazy!
That is a seriously upside down math... world of extremes. I guess you are either creme de la creme or crap de la crep wow..
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:45 PM   #33
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I did with my LVc.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:46 PM   #34
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
I hear you, but at least they offered the Hulk. My understanding is that most AD’s are saving these for VIP clients if they even get any to begin with. And this was an AD you did not seem to have a relationship with.

Coffin sealed is pretty cool. Nobody has even tried it on. Fresh from the factory. Some collectors get excited about this stuff.

If you buy these same watches on the grey market, close to new as possible, how much would that cost you and with what kind of warranty?

But you have to go with your gut and do what feels right to you.
You do strike a great point. Sitting here im like shoot maybe I should have got it. I was more angry about the my crap don’t stink speech only the worthy etc
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:48 PM   #35
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

I went through my watch phase when a discount could still be had. So I've bought 2 from an AD and 2 from a gray dealer. 3 were with a discount and 1 was at MSRP. Flipped a bunch of them as well.

I guess it helps that I like the watches that weren't in such high demand.

I'm not buying any more now because of the current situation, but because I've got my fill of watches. Although a DD40 would be nice to have.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:54 PM   #36
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Pretty easy:

Go to your AD, with whom you perhaps have a relationship, and see if the watch you want is available at retail or less.

If not and it’s worth more to you, buy grey if price is satisfactory.

Not anything more to it in my view. I have purchased at retail, at a discount and at a premium. No big deal.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:03 PM   #37
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
How many members paid the premiums to avoid AD drama?

I love to trade around and I have never bought new from an AD. Always bought or traded from Gray/TS or from private sellers. The allure of having a new watch direct from AD just does not appeal to me. Once the bracelet is polished, a pre-owned watch is good enough for me. YMMV. I did pay a premium on the SD43. A tad above retail from Gray.

However, I am not seeking any of the crazy-expensive SS like 116610LV or 116710BLRO, and I’m not a Daytona guy, so the ceramic Daytona’s are not calling to me. That’s helpful for the wallet! If I wanted one, I would buy Gray, as the prices come down a little.
Old 16 February 2019, 01:07 PM   #38
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

According to my senior, he mentioned that Omega used to be the must-have watch back in the early days.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:11 PM   #39
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I have avoided the AD drama by never have been inside an AD. I've bought pre-owned privately, from trusted sellers new at or below retail and a few pre-owned from trusted sellers. I am just not interested in watches that have a premium due to hype, scarcity or popularity. I was looking for a pre-ceramic Daytona but they shot up before I found the right one and I lost interest. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had cash to burn (or didn't have my German car addiction) but I'm more than satisfied with the half dozen or so in my collection. Rolex, Grand Seiko, Omega, Sinn and a few others all for the price of a single grey market Daytona C.

I won't try to claim some altruistic refusal to pay a premium and freely admit I have a somewhat self imposed spending ceiling. I just don't have room in the mix for a bunch of high dollar winder jockeys.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:11 PM   #40
awol123
"TRF" Member

No way I’m paying above msrp.
awol123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:12 PM   #41
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I paid MSRP once to avoid AD drama.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:43 PM   #42
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
You do strike a great point. Sitting here im like shoot maybe I should have got it. I was more angry about the my crap don’t stink speech only the worthy etc
You went with your gut and something about that AD was rubbing you the wrong way, so all factors considered I do think you made the right decision.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:49 PM   #43
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recht View Post
I'd be concerned that some day in the not too distant future "Rolex" will become known as a brand that a fool overpaid for.
They have been around for over 100 years and their brand synonymous with quality and luxury so I don’t see that changing in the near future. Especially not because of an overwhelming demand for their product.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:54 PM   #44
EDL7
"TRF" Member

40K..just say that over and over to yourself..
Save your money..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:27 PM   #45
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
I’m not sure I have seen this one before on the forum ? So how many people have paid the premiums for desired watches just to avoid the AD drama. Stuff such as the list , Vip , how much have you spent , deposits etc ? So many stories are posted about AD issues. I was at an AD today that had a hulk I was going to buy the hulk and a rose gold oysterflex Daytona. I declined when they told me they would not discount the Daytona . They told the story about how lucky I am to have the opportunity to buy the hulk. I then asked aren’t you lucky I am willing to spend almost 40k in watches ? What ever happened to that ? We also talked and the store said they will not get a stainless Daytona unless a customer has spent 500k or up. They said the owner of the chain ADS controls the Daytona list and he chooses the chosen one. For the first time ever I said to myself wth? These are just watches. My how the table have turned that we are the lucky ones to be chosen to buy a watch? Bad things will happen to these ADs when the market changes. People will remember how they were treated in these situations, they will then beg us to take watches at a discount. I told them in the future they will be begging customer to take hulk at a discount. Haha I find my whole attitude is changing toward Rolex and these scenarios. So the real question how many of y’all just paid the premium to bypass the chosen one and bundle deals for the ease of no stress get the watch you want ? Please don’t comment you wound never pay over retail for a watch. I get it lots of the members wouldn’t. But I would like to see how any of us just got tired of the AD crap and paid the upcharge? Last note this is not my normal AD. Just one that had a hulk. If your in dallas Texas area I know where there is a hulk the store is closed now but the only way you get it is if you are willing to buy a pl piece or another watch at retail. The main point of the story is to stress how “ lucky I was to be able to buy the hulk “ it’s just a watch nothing more ! I must add the Daytona was 10 percent off by itself but with the hulk no
Discount offered. Also they brought the hulk out in the coffin and said look it still taped it even has Switzerland air stuck in it. Haha
I think it is frustrating for the ADs too.They can sell,but have nothing to sell due to fixed allocation and the huge Chinese inspired demand.
So how to make money ? All this silly ideas with spend so much then you can get this or buy that PM hard seller to create your own luck in buying a ss sporty....This is making collectors like myself hot under the collar.
NEVER screw someone in business.Old dictum.

I love Rolex but are not fixated on it like many here.I love IWC,have many references in Panerai that has increased in value substantially.Jaeger leCoultre is excellent quality.So you can really spread your luck.AP and Patek just dont do it for me.You have to wear what makes you smile.Buying a grey price BLRO and Daytona will never make me smile.

There are to many in the world begging and standing hat in hand at the mercy of Rolex ADs begging . I ask ,this is what I want.If they can deliver..great .If not ...so what .The first think I tell them is I DONT want a BLRO or Daytona and then things get much better in understanding each other .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:28 PM   #46
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

For me the quandary was answered by a simple mathematical calculation since IMO they're all really nice watches. Would I rather pay a lot more for a stainless steel watch or get a precious metal watch at a steep discount? Hmmmmmm. I'll let you know tomorrow when my watch says Saturday 16.
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:33 PM   #47
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
For me the quandary was answered by a simple mathematical calculation since IMO they're all really nice watches. Would I rather pay a lot more for a stainless steel watch or get a precious metal watch at a steep discount? Hmmmmmm. I'll let you know tomorrow when my watch says Saturday 16.
I see what you did there.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:04 PM   #48
mml4
"TRF" Member

The price of participating in this hobby has sucked the joy out of it. While I can afford to "play" I refuse to at a level where the SS Daytona approaches 2x msrp. Good for the greys if they can make a living at that price point but self respect and common sense excludes me. I much prefer to wait my turn on an AD list.
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:23 PM   #49
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXster View Post
At the end of the day ... everyone will pay extras for the BLNR, BLRO, HULK, 500C etc.
Not me. I paid MSRP for all my pieces, both Rolex and Tudor, except my BB36, which I got during a going out-of-business sale. I also used a 30% off card that I got for buying my North Flag during the introductory period at my AD.

That's the best deal I got on any of my Rolex/Tudors.

In those days, the people on this board thought I was crazy for not even asking for discounts.

Today, people think paying a premium is normal.

MSRP is okay by me, but paying a premium is taboo.

I don't play that game and no watch is so important that I will break that rule.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 05:35 PM   #50
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourspecgolfer View Post
I love the gray market! Get whatever you want when you want or not at all. Better service too!

I'm not going to do a song and dance for some salesperson to give me the honor of buying their product.

I love flaunting my watches to the AD and telling them they should be thankful for the gray market servicing their customers when they can't.

How about building a relationship with the Gray Market dealer? So much better and they can get me multiple brands.
Fully agree!

The exception would be AP, where the efforts the company makes to directly engage their customers have added to my enjoyment of the brand
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 05:51 PM   #51
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
That is a seriously upside down math... world of extremes. I guess you are either creme de la creme or crap de la crep wow..
Agree. World of extremes indeed - some analysis to back up this point can be found here :
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/our-b...mies-ray-dalio
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 06:06 PM   #52
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
The day I'm ready for my dream PM piece, I'll make sure they throw in a sports steel at retail, a Daytona, a Pepsi or a Sub. If they refuse to bundle, then no deal, I'll get my PM piece from a trusted seller.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 06:09 PM   #53
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

I’ve been collecting for almost 40 years and here’s my 10 cents. If I’m buying a PM I want a deep, deep discount so I would normally buy pre owned. Bear in mind dealer cost after tax is usually 25/30% less so that gives a benchmark. When it comes to SS models that are hard to get I do two things. First I put my name down at an AD I’ve bought watches from and wait. I’ve had an Explorer and a ND Sub turn up in less than 6 weeks. I’ve currently got my name down for a GMT Ceramic Pepsi and I’ll wait for that but I imagine a lot longer than 6 weeks! . My Daytona I paid the current market premium at a Grey Dealer and I’m happy with that. I wanted the watch and was not prepared to wait years for something I really liked. When it comes to spending your own money it’s really up to you and no one else.
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 07:33 PM   #54
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXster View Post
At the end of the day ... everyone will pay extras for the BLNR, BLRO, HULK, 500C etc.

98% of people that bought the hard to get pieces are whales.

They have bought multiple high end watches and jewelry at MSRP to get a 500C.

So, technically, they did pay extras.

Most people that don't need a Day/Date at MSRP to get on a phantom list.

Will consider paying extra to get a watch they want.

You will pay extras one way or another.

The 2% that bought high demanded pieces without any previous purchases :

1) knows someone

2) super lucky

3) lying

I paid extras for my Daytona cuz there are too many high rollers in my area.

I’m a long time client of NY AD. I have never bought anything I didn’t want. And nope I don’t have a day date or PM or any silly over priced jewelry.

My last 6 watch purchases included 4 Rolex watches all at MSRP all received less than a year.

I don’t kiss ass. No games

My last 6:

Tudor black bay - immediate
BLNR - 1 week
Daytona SS white - 7 months
Daytona SS black - 4 months
Panerai PAM911 - 1 month
BLRO - 9 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 07:40 PM   #55
benouah
"TRF" Member

Never paid premium and will never do.
I find the "hunting" part of the excitement to get a brand new watch.
benouah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 07:47 PM   #56
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
I have bought SS Sportmodels at greys above and once below MSRP and at ADs for MSRP. In the current market, you need patience to get the popular watches at MSRP. Two years for a Hulk and 4 years for a Pepsi. The Daytona C is a different story. At the AD that is not obtainable. But I refuse to pay 8k above list.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 07:58 PM   #57
Enoch
"TRF" Member

I won’t pay a premium... it’s only a watch and I don’t “need” it to survive..

Happy to sell at a premium though
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 08:07 PM   #58
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How many members paid the premiums to avoid AD drama?
i dont really see any AD drama. I see a lot of forum drama based on an AD operating their business in a way that maximizes profit... like a business

on a side note i see a correlation to wheeler dealer AD's who discount heavily when times are bad and make allocations contingent on a lot of bundles when times are good. AD's that stay the course and dont discount ever are generally more stand up establishments. But... no one buys from them when the going rate on a sub is 10% off retail, so we do it to ourselves
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 08:36 PM   #59
Halitosis
"TRF" Member

Watch: my angry dog
I wouldn't hesitate to go grey.

Cracks me up to constantly read "I wouldn't pay over MSRP on principle", yet if Rolex increase MSRP while sitting on the wait list those same folk accept it without question.

Only difference is in the mind's perspective.
Halitosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 08:49 PM   #60
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Not me. I paid MSRP for all my pieces, both Rolex and Tudor, except my BB36, which I got during a going out-of-business sale. I also used a 30% off card that I got for buying my North Flag during the introductory period at my AD.

That's the best deal I got on any of my Rolex/Tudors.

In those days, the people on this board thought I was crazy for not even asking for discounts.

Today, people think paying a premium is normal.

MSRP is okay by me, but paying a premium is taboo.

I don't play that game and no watch is so important that I will break that rule.

I do not like premiums because I do not think watches are investments, a premium is the future price of a watch purchased today, but if you are not buying as an investment it feels like a rip off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote