The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 February 2019, 09:00 AM   #1
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
A Surprising Day

Hi TRF,

I have to say that I tried on a 116519LN today, quite by accident as I was curious, and it completely blew me away. It might just be a grail piece. Here's the surprising story.

I met a private dealer who had a range of watches for me to try on, as I'm in the market for watch number two and am carrying out some research. I know from long experience that what one likes and what looks good on the wrist can be very different things. Thus, it's essential to try on all possible pieces. As many on TRF know, the hard to get watches are next to impossible to see much less try on. Thus, many purchase sight unseen. Some are subsequently happy; some flip the watches. My plan is to see and try every watch of interest before buying. Moving from one to two watches is a big deal for me (no laughing now )

Thus, I popped in to the dealer to see his Sky-Dwellers (all colors), AP 15400s in every dial color, 15202s in every dial color, and a host of other pieces, including the current SS Rolex GMT, Daytona, etc. I went to see him to try on the APs, as I wanted to get a sense of how they felt on the wrist. The dealer was wearing his 116519LN. While initially talking, and before I had tried on any of his collection, I noticed it and asked to try it on. As we've the same size wrists, it fit like a glove. As someone who has been and remains entirely unmoved by the whole Daytona craze, not only did I not expect to like the watch, I simply did not expect it to feel and look the way it did. In fact, and as many owners of this watch will know, it is simply an incredible piece. Incredible. I was speechless after wearing it for 30 seconds. I was so taken aback by it, that every other watch I tried on afterwards (and all fit perfectly, as they are from the owners private collection) from AP to all the others named above and a few others, just felt second class.

This was and remains such a surprise for me because I am inexorably drawn to tool watches, and all the watches I have owned (which isn't many) need to be hard wearing, and possessed of utilitarian qualities (GMT functions, dates, lume, etc). This watch runs contrary to everything I am seeking: it has a chronograph function which I would not use (lets be honest, who actually uses such a function these days), has no date or calendar function (which I do use), and is in precious metal. Despite all that, I am absolutely taken with this watch. At 40mm in WG, it's a sleeper. The OF strap is perhaps the most comfortable strap I have ever worn--NOTE: I wish Rolex sold these separately. I'd buy one tomorrow. Yes, it has lume, but beyond that is not practical. However, it remains one of the most amazing watches I've ever tried on, and I've had a few on the wrist over the last 35 years, including many ALS pieces, and even a Philippe Dufour Simplicity many years ago.

So there we are. I was looking at a possible sporty dress watch (say a PP 5164 or 5167) perhaps a dedicated dress watch AP15400 (or the soon to arrive 15500), or 5227G (which I just love), but all my plans just went Tango Uniform after having that bloody Rolex LN on my wrist for 15 mins.

I know from TRF that it's actually slightly tricky to get, and that's not because of demand. It seems as if Rolex don't send many to ADs.

Today was a good day. I love it when surprised by something I had not considered before. I would encourage those in the market for a hard-to-get-watch to keep an open mind, and actually try them on. What was interesting is that the dealer said to me that for many who buy his hard-to-get Rolex SS pieces, most ask almost no questions about the watches: they just want them, and they don't care how they fit or look. He's seen many buy such watches when he thought they didn't look good on the wrist. Each to their own. I'm still not a fan of the rest of the Daytona range. Those you can keep. However, for the LN, I only have eyes for you.

Best,
TA
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 09:03 AM   #2
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Here’s the watch. I didn’t buy it, as it took me by surprise and I need to think about it. However, it made one hell of an impression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2019, 09:07 AM   #3
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
It’s truly is stunning. I also stumbled upon one and had no intention of buying one but after sleeping on it I decided I needed to own it. Absolutely no regrets!
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 09:10 AM   #4
peterpl
Banned

This is the nicest Daytona there is.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:15 AM   #5
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post

Here’s the watch. I didn’t buy it, as it took me by surprise and I need to think about it. However, it made one hell of an impression.

Do you mean he offered to sell you his own watch?

It is a nice looking one, but the OF never felt right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:51 AM   #6
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I know what you mean...I didn't intend to buy it either. It's such a great watch, though, once you put it on, game over.

Looks great on you, IMO.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:52 AM   #7
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Do you mean he offered to sell you his own watch?

It is a nice looking one, but the OF never felt right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi 77T, no he didn’t. We were just chatting, I noticed his watch and asked to try it on, telling him I’m impervious to the Daytona craze as it’s never spoken to me. Well, his did and I told him so. He then encouraged me to try some the new Daytona’s, which did nothing for me. A surprising experience. I’m still reeling from it. Keep looking at the photos and videos I took.

Old 17 February 2019, 11:05 AM   #8
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I know what you mean...I didn't intend to buy it either. It's such a great watch, though, once you put it on, game over.

Looks great on you, IMO.

Hey WW, you’re absolutely right. I still don’t really understand the Daytona craze, but seen exclusively through the eyes of the LN, I get it. 1000%. That Oysterflex is something else.

Appreciate the thought too. It felt great, and I love the weight and balance of the watch. I thought the AP15400s looked good, as did a few others. However, every other watch I tried on just looked and felt subpar. I kept coming back to his LN. Funny thing, his LN was in good condition, but many of the others I tried on were safe queens. The LN won the day hands down.

Old 17 February 2019, 11:06 AM   #9
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
It’s truly is stunning. I also stumbled upon one and had no intention of buying one but after sleeping on it I decided I needed to own it. Absolutely no regrets!

Funny that. It’s an ambush watch!