The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 20 November 2017, 10:49 PM   #271
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
IMHO totally different markets (mobiles and high end jewelery) , if PP d supply the demand we d talk about here who had bigger discounts on their pieces rather the present exclusivity (however shameonwrist compared that piece exclusivity to a sexual organ lately :-) ), my idea it s the part of the strategy actually it worked very well to Rolex with the Daytona and now it works pretty well for PP the only thing that may have underestimate is the consumer surplus which is about 15 grand more than their current MSRP
I totally understand their strategy here it’s just I think they have taken it too far just like Rolex with the Daytona. Unless of course Patek and Rolex enjoy making grey dealers rich.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 20 November 2017, 10:59 PM   #272
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I totally understand their strategy here it’s just I think they have taken it too far just like Rolex with the Daytona. Unless of course Patek and Rolex enjoy making grey dealers rich.
Actually the funny thing that their ADs who are making those dealers rich -if they do- since I think those greys must take a chunk from the AD slomo inventory otherwise not really find the logic

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Old 20 November 2017, 11:03 PM   #273
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Actually the funny thing that their ADs who are making those dealers rich -if they do- since I think those greys must take a chunk from the AD slomo inventory otherwise not really find the logic
That my friend is the only reason the grey dealers get the most popular models. However I am pretty close with two Patek AD’s and they don’t ever sell to grey dealers and they are incredibly angry about the shortage of product. Grey dealers, for the most part, get their products from Europe and Asia.

Instagram - patton250
Old 20 November 2017, 11:47 PM   #274
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
That my friend is the only reason the grey dealers get the most popular models. However I am pretty close with two Patek AD’s and they don’t ever sell to grey dealers and they are incredibly angry about the shortage of product. Grey dealers, for the most part, get their products from Europe and Asia.
Mine follow the same routeis however the company could easily track down the sources based on serial numbers , i think it comes less from the EU if any agree on Asia !

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Old 20 November 2017, 11:54 PM   #275
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Mine follow the same routeis however the company could easily track down the sources based on serial numbers , i think it comes less from the EU if any agree on Asia !
Most of my high end timepieces have come from grey dealers and they got them from European AD’s.

Instagram - patton250
Old 21 November 2017, 12:11 AM   #276
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Without question they are willing to hold. It’s one of the distinguishing characteristics that separates a dealer from a casual seller.
And a pro trader, the comparisons are getting eerie.
Old 21 November 2017, 12:14 AM   #277
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
On the Nautilus 5711 I think it is slightly different as TS has signalled he wants to end this model. Maybe he should have kept his mouth shut and just let it happen if that is indeed his wish, but no surprise greys have all pounced on this, but this rising tide has indeed lifted the price of other Nauts and Aquas too, and similarly the 5522 has also served like the D500 to enhance the brand's value.

The Genta affect has also spread to AP where the 202 and 400s prices are rising too. I think Lange are trying to get in on this with the black 1815 being released very slowly and so prices will remain high, maybe even at a premium, which is unusual for Lange.
Old 21 November 2017, 06:06 AM   #278
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I don't disagree that WHEN it's discontinued they will be worth a pretty penny.......however, per your comment, in a couple (2) years a 5711 will be worth 50k. That was the words I'm 'marking'. Highly doubt the most in demand model by PP is going to get discontinued by 2019

Honestly, I don't even know why Stern is saying he would discontinue it. It's an iconic Genta design, the Nautilus is sometimes the only PP model certain people know. It's like AP discontinuing the Royal Oak and only selling Offshores. Does this not seem sort of silly to most others on here? I don't get it........

Would they discontinue the Aquanaut too since it has a similar case? The entire 'sport' line would get revamped? That just sounds disastrous....
It will not be discontinued, just tweaked like the 3800s to the 5711, et al. Different size and new dial. Same 324SC movement in the base model.
Old 21 November 2017, 06:29 AM   #279
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
It's a nice watch, but I think demand is fuelling demand.

I think there is also another reason. Before the 40th anniversary the 5711 wasn't that hard to get, although there was a small wait. Some people held off buying in case the 5711 was updated. When that didn't, there was pent up demand that led to an increase in people wanting to buy it.
True. I bought mine, 5 years ago, at an AD who had the blue in stock with a white dial also. They also had the 5712. All in the case, unsold. Then something happened and production was basically halted.
Old 21 November 2017, 08:46 AM   #280
mrpstl750
"TRF" Member

Govberg

I don't know what you all are talking about. If you can buy something less expensive than Govberg, then go buy it.

I buy watches from them weekly, and while I may pay a few bucks for them buying from someone else, they stand behind their products.

5711 are very expensive right now, but try to find one. Oh by the way, Govberg just sold the one everyone thought it was to expensive.

Danny, Brian, George and Alaina are the best in the industry. Try them, you will like them.
Old 21 November 2017, 09:19 AM   #281
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpstl750 View Post
I don't know what you all are talking about. If you can buy something less expensive than Govberg, then go buy it.

I buy watches from them weekly, and while I may pay a few bucks for them buying from someone else, they stand behind their products.

5711 are very expensive right now, but try to find one. Oh by the way, Govberg just sold the one everyone thought it was to expensive.

Zippy, George and Geoffrey are the best in the industry. Try them, you will like them.
Bungle, is that you?
How are the rest of the Rainbow crew these days?
Old 21 November 2017, 09:41 AM   #282
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Danny, Brian, George and Alaina are the best in the industry. Try them, you will like them.
I love Govberg. I deal with Jon Callahan there. He’s outstanding. I have bought several watches from him. I don’t really think this thread is bashing them so much as expressing frustration with how much the 5711 costs now.

Instagram - patton250
Old 21 November 2017, 09:48 AM   #283
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Icon10

LOL
Old 21 November 2017, 10:32 AM   #284
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Interesting first post.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 21 November 2017, 10:58 AM   #285
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Lol
Old 21 November 2017, 11:11 AM   #286
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
What's the current going rate now for 5711-1R and 15400ST ?
Old 21 November 2017, 11:59 AM   #287
Solicitor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
True. I bought mine, 5 years ago, at an AD who had the blue in stock with a white dial also. They also had the 5712. All in the case, unsold. Then something happened and production was basically halted.
I think the catalyst for the unusual demand of the blue was when the 5711 white was released.

I was one of those fortunate who waited for only 2 weeks and was able to get a blue 5711 @ sub 20k USD. (This was pre white dial era.)

I remember there was a time that ADs more often have 5711 white dials in stock and the blue ones are already selling for a premium.

Price of the 5711 blue went thru the roof after the 50th anniversary issue.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
Old 21 November 2017, 12:00 PM   #288
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I found 3 5711r's last week at 48 (long story). A poster here says he can get one at 42.5, but who knows? I was offered 45 for the 5711r I bought by a grey dealer, which means he likely would've gone to 46-47k.
Old 21 November 2017, 12:04 PM   #289
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
15400 is now at list from davidsw I was just told. Prices are all moving up on popular models on all brands. D500 has become everyone's god.
Old 21 November 2017, 12:32 PM   #290
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
15400 is now at list from davidsw I was just told. Prices are all moving up on popular models on all brands. D500 has become everyone's god.
In which case, just imagine what may happen to the 15202 (all else being equal)...
Old 21 November 2017, 01:41 PM   #291
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Is it true there is a 10 page minimum for any PP subject that mentions Govberg?
Old 21 November 2017, 01:50 PM   #292
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
No this thread is not about govberg anymore. PP isn’t putting out and people are flush with stock market cash. Perfect storm. See you on the other side.
Old 22 November 2017, 11:11 AM   #293
tng11
"TRF" Member

A local grey dealer is asking the equivalent of $45,500 for a pre-owned 2014 5712/1A, plus 13% taxes making it $51,415.

What the heck is going on with this market? I can't believe that 5712 waiting lists have exploded in just about 3 months?
Old 23 November 2017, 01:37 AM   #294
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Is it true there is a 10 page minimum for any PP subject that mentions Govberg?
Just the mention of buying jewellery!!!
Old 23 November 2017, 01:53 AM   #295
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:
If you're buying watches from them weekly you must have a killer collection, let's see some pics...
Old 23 November 2017, 02:00 AM   #296
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post
If you're buying watches from them weekly you must have a killer collection, let's see some pics...
i thought the same thing... but then again maybe the time scale was two weeks
Old 23 November 2017, 02:34 AM   #297
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post
I want to see how much jewellry he has
Old 23 November 2017, 03:27 AM   #298
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Just the mention of buying jewellery!!!
I can't help but notice threads seem to disappear at this mention...
Old 23 November 2017, 03:32 AM   #299
mikkemus23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I can't help but notice threads seem to disappear at this mention...
5522 thread gone?!? 👀
Old 23 November 2017, 05:07 AM   #300
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkemus23 View Post
5522 thread gone?!? 👀
Is it really gone? I figured ppl just stopped posting in it since it’s ran its course.
Closed Thread