The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 October 2017, 09:06 PM   #1
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
Thoughts on the blue Gondola 5124g

Hi All,

I am looking at getting a pair of watches with the wife to celebrate our upcoming 25th wedding anniversary and am considering the Patek Gondolo 5124g and the Twenty-4 as the pair.

It seems that the Gondolo isn't a very popular model and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this watch. Do you think it fits well into my current collection (pictured below)? For me, it ticks a few boxes as it has a blue face and blue strap (I love blue), it is a time only watch (so goes well with my patrimony and submariner) and would add a square/rectangular watch in the collection.

I would be particularly interested to hear opinions from those who own (or have owned) the Gondolo.

Appreciate everyone's input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Collection_resized.jpeg (273.7 KB, 646 views)
File Type: jpeg Patek Gondolo - 24.jpeg (148.3 KB, 648 views)
Old 7 October 2017, 09:24 PM   #2
KarlS
Banned

I have thought of the 24 for my wife but I can't get my mind around a quartz PP...as for the Gondola it falls into the Elipse love / hate fold....I think a nice addition to the collection as it complements what you already have....Gondola itself was a very special relationship to PP - I would say as good as Tiffany. The whole story around the Gondola Gang really shows a different side of Pp...a 48mm wristwatch....loans sold by installments and a lottery and don't forget the first branded swag being the PP sombreros...as Art Deco and quirky as it it you better keep for a long time as I think you will die on resale
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 09:48 PM   #3
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I have tried it on, I loved it. I wouldn't hesitate on that reference.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 10:02 PM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the PP but not at retail. It could be a fun watch if you can purchase it right.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2017, 01:17 AM   #5
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I have thought of the 24 for my wife but I can't get my mind around a quartz PP...as for the Gondola it falls into the Elipse love / hate fold....I think a nice addition to the collection as it complements what you already have....Gondola itself was a very special relationship to PP - I would say as good as Tiffany. The whole story around the Gondola Gang really shows a different side of Pp...a 48mm wristwatch....loans sold by installments and a lottery and don't forget the first branded swag being the PP sombreros...as Art Deco and quirky as it it you better keep for a long time as I think you will die on resale

Thanks Karl. Yeah, the thought of resale loss concerns me but as a it would be an anniversary gift, I would never sell it. Most probably would be passed down to my son and his future wife or my daughter and her future husband. I also hesitate to spend Patek money on a quartz watch for the wife but since she isn't really into watches, it can get her a Patek that she'll wear (if it were too expensive, she'd be afraid to wear it).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 8 October 2017, 10:11 AM   #6
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
I have the salmoned dial version, and love it for a change. Usually wear it during the Summer because the salmon dial gives it a casual look. But the blue dial version makes it more formal looking IMHO.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2017, 10:29 AM   #7
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

You have a fabulous sports watch collection with the AP RO, Sub, GMT and the Speedmaster. Your dress watch combination of the VC Patrimony and the Patek AC is superb. However the rectangular dress will add another dimension to your collection as an everyday business attire watch or as an elegant evening watch. The blue dial Gondolo is quite nice and will nicely complement your existing light colored dial dress watches.

I have contemplated getting a blue dial Gondolo for quite some time myself.
I seriously considered the 5124G blue dial and the 5200G blue dial before purchasing the 5100G. The Patek blue dial is like no other and it is really a beauty!

I would say, definitely go for it!

As for your wife's Twenty~4, I would ask her if she likes the blue dial better than the gray, white or black dials. Women tend to match their colors with the rest of their outfit and she may prefer the other dial colors.

Congratulations on your upcoming 25th anniversary
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2017, 10:35 AM   #8
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Lovely collection Stephen. I'm also not a quartz fan in PPs. Tempted by an earlier model Gondolo but don't own one.

Been in a Speedy phase lately so your Tritium step dial model caught my eye.
Old 9 October 2017, 12:08 AM   #9
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
You have a fabulous sports watch collection with the AP RO, Sub, GMT and the Speedmaster. Your dress watch combination of the VC Patrimony and the Patek AC is superb. However the rectangular dress will add another dimension to your collection as an everyday business attire watch or as an elegant evening watch. The blue dial Gondolo is quite nice and will nicely complement your existing light colored dial dress watches.

I have contemplated getting a blue dial Gondolo for quite some time myself.
I seriously considered the 5124G blue dial and the 5200G blue dial before purchasing the 5100G. The Patek blue dial is like no other and it is really a beauty!

I would say, definitely go for it!

As for your wife's Twenty~4, I would ask her if she likes the blue dial better than the gray, white or black dials. Women tend to match their colors with the rest of their outfit and she may prefer the other dial colors.

Congratulations on your upcoming 25th anniversary
Thanks Jon_Jon. Appreciate your input. I agree that a blue face dress watch is definitely in order and am thinking that will go nicely with collection. I also need to add another Patek to the collection. As for twenty-4, the wife has taken a look at them and I think she likes the blue. She currently has a white dial Rolex and a white mother of pearl speedy with diamonds so something dark would be a nice compliment to her collection as well.
Old 9 October 2017, 12:23 AM   #10
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Lovely collection Stephen. I'm also not a quartz fan in PPs. Tempted by an earlier model Gondolo but don't own one.

Been in a Speedy phase lately so your Tritium step dial model caught my eye.

Thanks SJ, glad to see another Speedy fan here. That is my 1968 Transitional so it has all the elements of the pre-moon but with the more serviceable 861 movement. I have added the DON bezel and the 1039 bracelet recently to make it more correct (and hopefully more collectible).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6631.jpg (269.4 KB, 537 views)
Old 9 October 2017, 03:37 AM   #11
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
I have the 5124J - it is a super timepiece and a very classic Patek. You can get a good deal preowned. It is also great to have a nice movement which fits the case well.

ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 06:50 AM   #12
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
That is a really varied collection! So many "collections" seem to be (exaggerating here) 10 black dialed GMT and Subs, so the owners can choose "do I feel like wearing a three line black Sub or a four liner. Red or white lettering? Holes or no holes? Yours are all very different, so kudos to you!

To answer your question, I think rectangular watches look very 1940s to me, and it's not my style. So it wouldn't be for me. But it's certainly a nice looking watch, and is very different than what you already own, so if it is something you would enjoy, go for it!
Old 9 October 2017, 07:11 AM   #13
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirish19 View Post
Thanks SJ, glad to see another Speedy fan here. That is my 1968 Transitional so it has all the elements of the pre-moon but with the more serviceable 861 movement. I have added the DON bezel and the 1039 bracelet recently to make it more correct (and hopefully more collectible).
That's a great picture of your Speedy, Stephen. I can see the applied logo clearly. So would that be a 145-012 then? Mine's a little later, a 145-022 with the step dial and 861 also.

The Gondolo reference that tempted me a lot was a 5011G or J which can be had for a reasonable price.
Old 9 October 2017, 07:42 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think they will fit in nicely with your collection, altho aristocratic salmon would be my first choice.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 02:49 PM   #15
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
That's a great picture of your Speedy, Stephen. I can see the applied logo clearly. So would that be a 145-012 then? Mine's a little later, a 145-022 with the step dial and 861 also.

The Gondolo reference that tempted me a lot was a 5011G or J which can be had for a reasonable price.
My Speedy is also 145.022, '68 was the first year they released that, and transitional as it has the pre-moon dial with applied logo. They were transitioning to the new dial but using up some of the old stock first.
Old 9 October 2017, 02:50 PM   #16
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansharma View Post
I have the 5124J - it is a super timepiece and a very classic Patek. You can get a good deal preowned. It is also great to have a nice movement which fits the case well.

Beautiful watch.
Old 9 October 2017, 03:02 PM   #17
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
That is a really varied collection! So many "collections" seem to be (exaggerating here) 10 black dialed GMT and Subs, so the owners can choose "do I feel like wearing a three line black Sub or a four liner. Red or white lettering? Holes or no holes? Yours are all very different, so kudos to you!

To answer your question, I think rectangular watches look very 1940s to me, and it's not my style. So it wouldn't be for me. But it's certainly a nice looking watch, and is very different than what you already own, so if it is something you would enjoy, go for it!

Yes, the Art Deco style is certainly not for everyone. I really like it though and it fits with my fashion style as I also wear fedora hats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 October 2017, 01:04 AM   #18
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I have the 5124j. To me the only way to go. The blue dial looks pretty bad and I think blue dials are fad which will pass. This watch should have a classical look. Anything else is weird. Having said that the salmon colored G was a neat watch. Great for summer time. If you want white gold I would buy the salmon used.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 01:11 AM   #19
SCBPX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
A pair ?

Are you very sure? Its a precious gift May i suggest to look for something more similar ; apart from being a blue oblong they seem very different to me.
Steve
SCBPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 12:32 AM   #20
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBPX View Post
Are you very sure? Its a precious gift May i suggest to look for something more similar ; apart from being a blue oblong they seem very different to me.

Steve

While not exactly the same as say, a pair of two-tone Datejusts, I think they are similar enough to be seen as a pair but also to satisfy both of us without being boring or prohibitively expensive. My top choice was rose gold Lange 1 and rose gold Little Lange 1 but that option would add an additional $30k to the cost.

I had a previous post with 10 different pair options, did you have a preference for a different pair or a different alternative altogether?

Cheers,

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 October 2017, 01:57 AM   #21
SCBPX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
Hmm i'm no watch expert and my track record with the ladies is lamentable, but what about finding out what your good lady likes - say 2/3 choices then you. Match your choice to them , you might find the challenge solves itself?

'Thing is I do really believe the ladies being genetically more sensible than us, value the thought just as much as the deed so i dont think you will be in the wrong on any account : they are beautiful "keeper" watches all of them.
SCBPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 05:13 AM   #22
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
The Blue Gondolo is stunning. Saw it for the first time the other day. I had gone to the AD to see the yellow gold Gondolo, which is my favorite of the two. I am just not that much into blue for myself, but certainly admire it for others.

I am quite surprised that the Gondolo models don't get more attention. One of the most unique Art Deco watches I have seen. They do have quite a wrist presence, not a small piece by any means, perhaps others are looking for a smaller piece in a rectangular dress watch, or any shape of dress watch for that matter. Personally, I would not hesitate, and I think the yellow gold Gondolo will be my next watch.

The smaller watch for your wife is beautiful as well. I have no problem with the quartz movement myself in general, although if I am spending this kind of money on an heirloom piece, I would definitely want a mechanical movement. The only quartz watch I would consider spending thousands of dollars on, is the Grand Seiko high end quartz movement.
Old 6 November 2017, 05:19 AM   #23
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansharma View Post

Best wrist shot I have seen so far! Very difficult to find reviews and comments about this beauty. Not that that will deter me from getting this model, and I believe it will be my next watch.

I found the strap to be lighter and a different shade than seen in most of the photos. And I really like it, makes the watch a lot more versatile than having a dark brown strap. I was wearing a black leather jacket at the time, and the combination looked quite stunning. I, too, love that it would look great with a fedora. I have four beautiful Italian Borsalino fedoras that I love, and a Stetson Panama which would all look great with that watch!

I can also see the watch going well with a lovely silk flowered tropical shirt and shorts in the summer. Hopefully, I will soon be able to post photos myself.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 6 November 2017, 07:45 AM   #24
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
In the 5124 I would do the yellow. its really classic. Blue dials may be a fad you will quickly tire of.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 01:35 AM   #25
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I repaired and polished a 24 some time ago, I have to say I was not impressed by the overall quality of the watch. If it had said Longines on the dial I would have believed it...
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 11:15 PM   #26
Sir Larry Wildman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, FPJ, IWC
I was very close to pulling the trigger on the older 5124g - with the salmon dial and Breguet numerals - but got a 15202 instead. We think alike!

I love the reference. I think the case shape is absolutely stellar. It sits so well on the wrist, too.
Sir Larry Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 12:51 AM   #27
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I repaired and polished a 24 some time ago, I have to say I was not impressed by the overall quality of the watch. If it had said Longines on the dial I would have believed it...
You’d be nuts not to buy a tank francais for a fraction of the price you get the real deal.
Old 8 November 2017, 01:47 AM   #28
marv_lopez12
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of the watch but the color is beautiful
marv_lopez12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 06:32 AM   #29
xseal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post
I have the salmoned dial version, and love it for a change. Usually wear it during the Summer because the salmon dial gives it a casual look. But the blue dial version makes it more formal looking IMHO.
I have the Salmon one, its a GREAT watch, feels great on the wrist and nice alternative for a formal watch/with suit, has some character.
xseal is offline   Reply With Quote