The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 November 2017, 01:21 PM   #1
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Art Deco Allure - Gondolo 5124J-001 Yellow Gold

Please forgive me for beginning this thread before owning the watch. Since seeing it in real life on Friday, it has become a "must have". In my search for a precious metal watch - and believe me, I have explored all options - this Gondolo is now at the top of my list.

Having long been an admirer of Patek Philippe, and having actually tried on a couple of models, I have never found one that really has enough versatility for my lifestyle. It would be an injustice to the brand for me to acquire a Patek Philippe mainly for the purpose of being able to say that I own one. Perhaps there will be others after I acquire this one, which should occur within the next few months.

For some reason, I really want a rectangular shape for what may be my only precious metal watch. There are not many reviews, comments or posts online in reference to the Gondolo, and I was a bit underwhelmed by many of the photos I saw. That was before I saw this beauty in the display window of the AD here in Vancouver. These are a few photos which I collected from the Patek Philippe website:

One of the most beautifully shaped and designed watch cases I have seen. The way that the crown fits seamlessly into beautifully sculpted case is so clever. The simple opaline white dial provides a perfect background for the beautifully applied hands markers, applied arabics at 12 o'clock and the small seconds gold chapter ring.

The thoughfully curved case and crystal are elegant and practical. Another design element which sets this watch apart.

The 25-21 REC PS manually wound rectangular Caliber is so impressive that it actually fits the shape of the case, again setting this watch apart from most other manufacturers. This is definitely a huge selling feature of this watch for me. Next time I view this watch I will definitely pay more attention to the finishing on the movement.

At 33.4 x 43mm this is not a small watch. And it has quite a wrist presence. Sits beautifully on the wrist at only 7.38mm thick. I will definitely bring my camera along on my next visit!

Another couple of small details regarding the beautiful leather strap really impressed me: The spring bars are quick release, which enable one to remove the strap with just a finger nail. And the shade of brown is not a typical light or dark brown, I would say almost a tobacco colour, and makes it even more versatile to wear with so many colors. I had a black leather jacket on when I tried it on, and it looked great. I might even order a black leather strap when I get the watch, to change it up a bit.

I really had an urge to start a thread about this watch, hoping that it might encourage interest in the model, opinions and comments, especially from members who own, or who have tried and seen this watch in real life.

Until I saw this watch in real life, my choice for a gold watch was to be the Rolex Day-Date 40. I do have a passion for Rolex. The Gondolo is the one and only watch that has changed my mind.

Feeling very fortunate indeed that I will actually be able to own this beautiful Patek Philippe - hopefully sooner than later - it will be on my mind constantly until the day I do my "incoming" thread. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 12 November 2017, 06:49 AM   #2
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
This is a very underrated watch - it is great in every way. A few points I would bring up is the large modern size, the curved case and fitted curved movement. It is a stunning timepiece and should be in most watch collections as a classic Patek. I have the yellow gold which I think is the version to go for in this range and love it.
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 08:49 AM   #3
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansharma View Post
This is a very underrated watch - it is great in every way. A few points I would bring up is the large modern size, the curved case and fitted curved movement. It is a stunning timepiece and should be in most watch collections as a classic Patek. I have the yellow gold which I think is the version to go for in this range and love it.
Thank You very much for your input! The modern size is the only reason I have a bit of hesitation. I am going back to try it on in a week or so. While I am fortunate to have a wrist size at 7.25in, that I feel most comfortable wearing any size watch, I just want to make sure that it will be comfortable for me. You see, I prefer smaller watches. The biggest I have now is my Tudor Black Bay 36mm. And two Rolex Oyster Perpetual 34mm models.

The fitted movement is a big feature for me as well. Done by so few watch manufacturers. I realize the entire case is curved, but are you certain the movement is curved as well? I see from the photos that the dial is flat.

As you say, a very underrated watch. As you can see, since I started this thread, your's has been the only response, for which I am very thankful. Although, I am not seeking only positive responses, but some opinions would be nice in interest of forming a discussion.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 12 November 2017, 02:59 PM   #4
CRDMMW
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Patek

I️ actually looked at this reference at Tiffany & Co this past week. It was the white gold version with blue dial. Stunning watch and very underrated as you guys say. They had the another Gondolo, the one with 8 day power reserve. Also very nice. Didn’t pull the trigger though. Little too dressy for my taste right now, but fantastic nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRDMMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 11:24 PM   #5
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Although I can't really add anything to the discussion, I appreciate you posting what you did. It is indeed an interesting and classic watch. I sometimes contemplate getting a "formal" watch and Patek seems a natural fit for that. I don't know if I would wear it enough to justify owning it, though. I don't really want to have to service a watch every four times I wear it.

I had never considered a rectangular watch, but your pictures and enthusiasm make me want to check it out in person.
Old 13 November 2017, 12:27 AM   #6
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Go for it! In my mind 5124 is one of the most elegantly designed watch, from its Art Deco case to the movement. The watch is supremely comfortable due to the curved case. I think for rectangular watches, this is important. For example, my JLC reverso is not nearly as comfortable to wear as the Patek gondolo.

I have to admit that I’m biased, as I also have a strong preference for simple time-only manual wind watches. Other PPs are much more popular, but the Gondolo really speaks to me. Glad to see others sharing similar interest.

Regarding size, I think it will fit very well on your 7”+ wrist. Here is mine on 6.75” wrist. As you can see, the “lugs” do not overhang. Once the strap breaks in, it will conform to your wrist.

liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 12:28 AM   #7
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

That is one gorgeous watch!
Old 13 November 2017, 04:21 AM   #8
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
Go for it! In my mind 5124 is one of the most elegantly designed watch, from its Art Deco case to the movement. The watch is supremely comfortable due to the curved case. I think for rectangular watches, this is important. For example, my JLC reverso is not nearly as comfortable to wear as the Patek gondolo.

I have to admit that I’m biased, as I also have a strong preference for simple time-only manual wind watches. Other PPs are much more popular, but the Gondolo really speaks to me. Glad to see others sharing similar interest.

Regarding size, I think it will fit very well on your 7”+ wrist. Here is mine on 6.75” wrist. As you can see, the “lugs” do not overhang. Once the strap breaks in, it will conform to your wrist.

Your model is actually the first Gondolo - and the first PP - that I ever tried on. It was over five years ago. The AD who sold me my Rolex Explorer 1 had one in the display case. I thought it was the most beautiful watch I had ever seen, and it became my grail, but I never had the funds to buy one. Now that I will have, that model has been discontinued. Fortunately, I like the new one with the yellow gold just as much, although it's a bit dressier IMO.

I realize the model you have could be bought pre owned, but that is not the route I wish to go. Knowing my AD very well is a big plus for me when buying such a watch, so that is also a reason for me to get the yellow gold.

Thanks for your thoughts and sharing the photos. There are other PP models I like as well, but like you, I really appreciate the time only manually wound models the most. And I have tried the Reverso, and also owned a few Cartier Tank watches, but can never get them to fit comfortably. So I am very glad you mention the comfort provided by the curved case.

That fits your wrist very well indeed. I can see that it will be perfect for my 7.25in wrist, as I do like smaller watches. My current favorite is my Rolex OP 34mm.

Although it's a small thing, I really love the color of the brown strap as well, more versatile than darker brown. The fact that the movement is made for that case shape and size, or vice versa, really means a lot to me as well and is watchmaking at it's finest. Really a watch like no other IMO.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 14 November 2017, 10:40 AM   #9
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

I got a few wrist shots today visiting the AD:

Old 18 November 2017, 01:23 PM   #10
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Beautiful watch, Carl
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 02:41 AM   #11
Eatapp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114300 Blue
Thanks for starting this thread! It is a stunning and underrepresented watch. I’ve always been partial to rectangular watches, they are very elegant in my eyes. Love it!
Eatapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 06:42 AM   #12
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
Beautiful watch, Carl
Thanks, Rommel. Hope to one day get out to Toronto, and show you the watch in person!
Old 19 November 2017, 06:53 AM   #13
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatapp View Post
Thanks for starting this thread! It is a stunning and underrepresented watch. I’ve always been partial to rectangular watches, they are very elegant in my eyes. Love it!
Thanks. I know it doesn't get a lot of attention. I have wanted a gold watch for some time. What I really wanted is yellow or rose gold. Also wanted a rectangular, or "tank" style, but not a watch that is trying to copy the Cartier Tank Louis Cartier. This is certainly the most unique case design I have seen.

Very important to me was a manual wind and also a movement that fits the case. This is really the only watch I can find that meets all of the criteria. While I have always admired Patek Philippe watches, and this makes it the ultimate!
Old 19 November 2017, 07:10 AM   #14
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Although I can't really add anything to the discussion, I appreciate you posting what you did. It is indeed an interesting and classic watch. I sometimes contemplate getting a "formal" watch and Patek seems a natural fit for that. I don't know if I would wear it enough to justify owning it, though. I don't really want to have to service a watch every four times I wear it.

I had never considered a rectangular watch, but your pictures and enthusiasm make me want to check it out in person.
Thanks for commenting. I also think the style will be very versatile, and I will wear it with quite casual wear, as that is my lifestyle for the most part. Although, if I dress up for dinner etc. it will also be more than appropriate.

I love that it is manually wound. Even when I am not wearing it, I can have the pleasure of giving it a wind every day. For that reason, I am happy it does not have a screw down crown.

You do have a point, though. I would find a hard time justifying owning such a fine timepiece if I don't intend to wear it often. I will not, however, be wearing it to work. Due to the nature of my production work in a print shop, my Tudor Black Bay 36 fills that job very well. I can't see it being off my wrist, though, on weekends and holidays.
Old 19 November 2017, 11:36 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
I got a few wrist shots today visiting the AD:

Stunning watch. The hands pick up the sticks and shorten and lengthen around the dial. Almost like magic. No one ever mentions that.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 03:39 PM   #16
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Stunning watch. The hands pick up the sticks and shorten and lengthen around the dial. Almost like magic. No one ever mentions that.
Well said! You are right. The markers at 3, 6, 9 almost disappear. Then the seconds hand with the gold chapter ring is so well framed by th e markers. One thing I notice, but just cannot seem to put into words as you did! It is the small details that go unnoticed to a large extend. And that railroad chapter ring around the circumference just seems to pull the dial together. And I love the simple applied arabics at "12".

There are so many other small details, like the crown so beautifully built into the side of the case. Yet it is engineered so that it is easy to grasp and very smooth winding as well.

I must admit that I missed out on a lot of the details at first. But this watch has so many beautiful small details, it is almost like a painting, the more you see of it, the more you notice. A true work of art in every sense.

Not normally being a fan of sapphire crystal case backs, I just marvel at the level of finishing on this movement, which cannot possibly be seen in photos. And, being a manually wound movement, the visibility of the movement is so much better, even if an automatic has a skeleton rotor.

While I realize that one must admire Patek Philippe for some of it's most complicated watches, it is a marvel to see that they make such a work of art of even one of their simplest. And I do admire complications on watches, but have always been drawn to the simplest for my own use.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 19 November 2017, 04:05 PM   #17
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

In my search for a gold watch, the Gondolo is the only watch which has been able to draw me away from the gorgeous Rolex Day-Date 40 with the beautiful applied gold roman numerals and gorgeous olive green dial. Among other attributes:

This was not an easy choice. But a wonderful dilemma, one that I feel so fortunate to have had. They are both prestige watches, the Rolex Day-Date 40 possibly being the most prestigious of the brand. Although, like Patek, I firmly believe that the quality in it's more affordable models is not compromised at all. The difficulty in choosing had to come from the minute details of each watch, and my priorities. Not the level of prestige. What Patek Philippe offers me in combination, that I can find in no other brand, is a rectangular case, a manually wound movement, and a movement that fits the case both in size and in shape. And I have already raved about the other attributes.

For my tastes, it cannot possibly get any better.
Old 27 November 2017, 07:51 AM   #18
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

I'm convinced you made the best possible choice here for your needs. The Day-Date is no doubt an amazing watch but to me lacks something the Patek Philippe brand most certainly does not! Added exclusivity makes it more special, having something less common on this level.

Also, looking forward to your future Toronto visit It'll be nice getting to see that movement finishing in person! You'll enjoy winding this one up daily or how ever often you end up doing so
Old 25 December 2017, 10:40 PM   #19
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex

Thanks for this post, Carl!

I became interested on a Gondolo after I got interested on the Twenty 4 which I intend to get one for my wife. I’ve seen the Twenty 4 and Gondolo in my AD and they are both beautiful watches from my view.

Like you, the one competing for the Gondolo is the Rolex DD 40 in olive Romans. I think a Day Date should be in one’s collection sooner or later.

Going back to the Gondolo, it reminded me of the Cartier Tank Americana watch that I fancied back in the 90s. That watch has been discontinued.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Gondolo.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 02:31 AM   #20
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Classic watch! That one will never go out of style.
Old 28 December 2017, 12:54 AM   #21
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
Thanks for this post, Carl!

I became interested on a Gondolo after I got interested on the Twenty 4 which I intend to get one for my wife. I’ve seen the Twenty 4 and Gondolo in my AD and they are both beautiful watches from my view.

Like you, the one competing for the Gondolo is the Rolex DD 40 in olive Romans. I think a Day Date should be in one’s collection sooner or later.

Going back to the Gondolo, it reminded me of the Cartier Tank Americana watch that I fancied back in the 90s. That watch has been discontinued.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Gondolo.

I still have a fondness for the Rolex DD, maybe one day I will be lucky enough to get one of those as well. It really was a tough (in the nicest way) decision. But the Gondolo really had all the features I was looking for.

I had kind of forgotten about the Americana by Cartier. It is a beautiful watch, quite large, too, if I remember. And I can't say the Gondolo is a small watch either.

Thank you for your comments. I realize that the Gondolo is far from being a popular Patek Philippe model, so it is seldom there are many comments, and yours' are much appreciated.

I must look up some more info about that Twenty 4 as well.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 28 December 2017, 08:18 AM   #22
Orthoman
"TRF" Member

This is a subject with which I am very familiar.
In what could be considered a very questionable horological decision,
I recently traded in my beloved Rolex White Gold Day Date 40 (228239) for the Patek Philippe 5124J-001, yellow gold Gondolo.
I received a fair trade for the DD40 and purchased the Patek, new, for a discounted price.
I walked out with a few dollars in my pocket and an absolutely beautiful watch.
I always thought of the DD40 as my “grail” watch but, as we know, attitudes change. I still feel as though it is one of the finest timepieces in the world and I may cross paths with it again in the future.
After decades of watch collecting, I recently found myself without a Patek in my small, modest collection. I have owned three different Pateks over the years and appreciate the quality of the brand (taking nothing away from Rolex or the other fine houses).
I saw the 5124 on the Patek website recently and, although I’ve probably seen the watch over a 100 times before, I stopped, dumbfounded at the lines of this reference.
The next step was a visit to my AD where I was lucky enough to try one on.
We have all heard about watches that “sing to you” and this one resonated with me-loud and clear. The curved case, recessed crown, hands, markers and second hand are seamless, perfect.
This is watch that you find in your grandfather’s roll-top desk drawer. It’s the watch that your favorite college professor wore. It is the exact opposite of me: It is dignified and refined.
It doesn’t shout. It merely exists, sublimely, above the fray. Way above.
Obviously, I am smitten.
Do I miss the DD40? Yes, of course. It’s an outstanding watch-but the 5124 really does it for me.
MY SD 43 satisfies my desire, when needed, for heavy metal Rolex and it really is quite comfortable-when the bracelet is good and snug. The 5124 is much more comfortable. I hardly notice it on my wrist until I’m lucky enough to glance at it.
The Gondolo has now replaced the SD43 as my daily wearer. The big 43 gets plenty of attention while no one ever notices that I am wearing the 5124J-001—one of the finest wristwatches in the world. This is just fine with me.
Also, to complete the comparison between the DD40 and the PP5124, I can no longer tell the day of the week or the date by glancing at my watch. However, I must say that I usually have a relatively good idea about the day and date by the time I get to work.
By the way the PP is absurdly accurate-to within 2 seconds her day.
So that’s it: I traded in a white gold Rolex DD40 for the Patek Philippe 5124J-001 and I’m very happy with my decision.
Thanks for reading,
Dave
Orthoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 12:12 PM   #23
Orthoman
"TRF" Member

That’s 2 seconds PER day...Cheers!

Orthoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 12:41 PM   #24
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Read your post with keen interest!

Hi Dave,

Without having yet owned the Rolex DD40, your sentiments match my decision to get the Patek Philippe Gondolo over the Rolex exactly! I was smitten with the Everose DD40, with Green dial, President bracelet, and absolutely gorgeous hand applied Roman numerals and markers. I commented to a dear friend that I believe it to be the most beautiful watch I have seen. Nevertheless, for sentimental reasons, I felt that I must look at each and every possibility for what is to be my most special watch. I am able to get this watch mostly due to an inheritance left to me by a very dear friend of more than 42 years. His legacy will fondly live on with this beautiful timepiece.

Over the past 10 years or so, I have many times recalled trying on a beautiful Patek Philippe Gondolo, same case design as the current 5124J-001, but in white gold. I considered at that time that it is a watch I would very likely be able to ever afford.

In my quest for the perfect gold watch over the past months, I once again thought that I should seriously consider the Gondolo. I decided to stop by the local AD one day to inquire about it. I had seen the yellow gold and the beautiful white opaline dial online, and loved it. To my utter surprise that very model stared at me from the display window. I went inside, tried it, and decided it would have to be the one. However, without my funds yet in place, I had to ask how long it would take to order one, should this one be gone by the time I can afford it. "Don't worry about it, a deposit will hold it for you until your funding is settled." I suppose it helps having known the AD for many years, but I was stunned when he offered to do this. I am still stunned, and cannot believe that I am actually going to own this watch! Hopefully, in a fairly short time.

My decision to get this watch - and why I loved it in the first place - is based on a number of factors, my hopes for the configuration of such a watch: 1) Must be rectangular, but not a copy of a Cartier Tank (I love the Cartier Tank, but if I wanted one then that is what I would get), 2) Manual wind movement ) Movement same shape as the case, preferably made specifically for the model, 3) Pink gold or preferably yellow gold. So, this meets all specifications with the added bonus of being a Patek Philippe and also having one of the most unique and beautiful case designs I have ever seen on a watch, and a movement to exactly fit the case. Not to mention the slightly curved case, the gorgeous leather strap, and the special spring bars which allow one to change the strap without having to use a sharp tool! They thought of everything!

I could ramble on and on, I am that excited. And thrilled to read your post, Thank You so much. All your enthusiasm and that of other members on this forum genuinely contribute to my assurance that I made the right decision. Not to mention my eager anticipation.

Cheers,
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthoman View Post
I recently traded in my beloved Rolex White Gold Day Date 40 (228239) for the Patek Philippe 5124J-001, yellow gold Gondolo.
I received a fair trade for the DD40 and purchased the Patek, new, for a discounted price.
I always thought of the DD40 as my “grail” watch but, as we know, attitudes change. I still feel as though it is one of the finest timepieces in the world and I may cross paths with it again in the future.
After decades of watch collecting, I recently found myself without a Patek in my small, modest collection. I have owned three different Pateks over the years and appreciate the quality of the brand (taking nothing away from Rolex or the other fine houses).
I saw the 5124 on the Patek website recently and, although I’ve probably seen the watch over a 100 times before, I stopped, dumbfounded at the lines of this reference.
We have all heard about watches that “sing to you” and this one resonated with me-loud and clear. The curved case, recessed crown, hands, markers and second hand are seamless, perfect.
This is watch that you find in your grandfather’s roll-top desk drawer. It’s the watch that your favorite college professor wore. It is the exact opposite of me: It is dignified and refined.
Obviously, I am smitten.
Do I miss the DD40? Yes, of course. It’s an outstanding watch-but the 5124 really does it for me.
MY SD 43 satisfies my desire, when needed, for heavy metal Rolex and it really is quite comfortable-when the bracelet is good and snug. The 5124 is much more comfortable. I hardly notice it on my wrist until I’m lucky enough to glance at it.
The Gondolo has now replaced the SD43 as my daily wearer. The big 43 gets plenty of attention while no one ever notices that I am wearing the 5124J-001—one of the finest wristwatches in the world. This is just fine with me.
Also, to complete the comparison between the DD40 and the PP5124, I can no longer tell the day of the week or the date by glancing at my watch. However, I must say that I usually have a relatively good idea about the day and date by the time I get to work.
So that’s it: I traded in a white gold Rolex DD40 for the Patek Philippe 5124J-001 and I’m very happy with my decision.
Thanks for reading,
Dave
Old 28 December 2017, 01:16 PM   #25
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s 2 seconds PER day...Cheers!

Great photos, thank you. The Gondolo has such a wonderful presence on the wrist, without being a showoff. I never have seen such a timepiece, quite unique in all the world IMO.

Although they are totally different watches, I can understand how you could make this your daily wear watch over the Rolex SD43. I currently wear a Tudor Black Bay 36mm for every day wear. I do work in a print shop, handling machinery all day. So I doubt the Gondolo will be worn in that environment!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 28 December 2017, 01:36 PM   #26
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Obviously, I am smitten.
Thanks for reading,
Dave

Great post, Dave I'm very happy for you and that's an incredible story behind your watch. You've really got something special now and things worked out perfectly
Old 26 March 2019, 08:23 AM   #27
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
I wanted to offer a large thank you to Carl and Dave. Your insight into this exquisite piece has me sold on the 5124. I will be looking for one in the near term. When I looked on Patek.com the 5124 is not listed anywhere -- has it been discontinued?
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 08:35 AM   #28
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
I wanted to offer a large thank you to Carl and Dave. Your insight into this exquisite piece has me sold on the 5124. I will be looking for one in the near term. When I looked on Patek.com the 5124 is not listed anywhere -- has it been discontinued?
5124 J and G were discontinued with no replacements in Basel 2019. Both 5124 J and G are very nice and you will be able to locate one easily.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote