The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 November 2017, 01:35 AM   #1
Custom02
"TRF" Member

Best performing Nautilus by 2022?

I know some will say that watches are not investments and appreciating them is not a monetary concern- and they would all be very right.....

Nonetheless, of the in-production Nautilus range which one will see the greatest percentage money appreciation from current price today and 5 years time.

(ps. by current price I don't mean retail, I mean the price you'd have to pay to get one today- the chrono24 price if you will, e.g. £30,000 GBP for a steel 5711 blue NOT £18,030)

If you consider everything:-
1. waiting lists for new ones
2. big/small watches gaining/losing appeal
3. gold and rose gold gaining/losing appeal
4. chance of any of them being discontinued
5. estimated production numbers per year per model
6. (and others)

I own a blue 5711/a but my own winner would be the 5712 in steel for the following reasons:-

1. when it comes to nautiluses and sports watches generally steel always outperforms gold.
2. its been in production for as long as any other watch in the current range and may well get discontinued soon even though it's still in demand new(the 5980 blue got discontinued despite popularity).
3. its as small as a 5711 and smaller than all the others, the large watch trend is on the decline.
4. it always seems to be the weirder lower volume watches that do best over time, the 5711 is undoubtedly more recognisable and harder to get but there are a hell of a lot more of them out there.
5. Its got a blue dial not the grey/brown/white that no-one seems very convinced of.
Custom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 02:07 PM   #2
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
In my estimation it is the obvious answer. The 5711 SS blue dial, as long as they continue to limit production. PP has done a masterful job in creating a niche market for this watch. Many PP and high end watch collectors "need" this watch in their collection.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 07:41 PM   #3
KarlS
Banned

I think it will be the salmon dialed 5715P perpetual calendar
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 07:58 PM   #4
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Where's my crystal ball......

You have a point in your choice, discontinuation probably being the key

But if they discontinued the white, 5711, that might be the rarer of the set... Its only been going a few years, and already chrono24 ing , @£25k ish
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 08:02 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyboy View Post
Where's my crystal ball......

You have a point in your choice, discontinuation probably being the key

But if they discontinued the white, 5711, that might be the rarer of the set... Its only been going a few years, and already chrono24 ing , @£25k ish
I also tend to think long term the white 5711 will sell for more than the blue. Its going to be a while though.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 08:16 PM   #6
Custom02
"TRF" Member

''JayG'' you've made a very good point there- that a 5711blue is simply almost a requirement with avid collectors. Undoubtedly true and something I'd completely overlooked.
I can see the 5990 having a very short production run and it seems to sell well over list already but personally I find it so unattractive that I can't see any appeal lasting.
Custom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 03:19 AM   #7
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

If the 5711 blue and white are discontinued at the same time, there will be much fewer white ones out there. Recent auction results have shown similar interest by collectors, with the white model even out performing in value some times. But for the regular watch enthusiast, the traditional blue still retains a higher mind share. These things are rather dynamic, though. Just see the massive disapproval of the 5524 when launched, and now it has become a grail watch for many.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote