The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 May 2020, 11:44 AM   #1
jrgannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Traded 14060m for Bathyscaphe - Review 3 months later

I recently did what many may view as unthinkable. I completed an even trade for my Rolex 14060m submariner (I am the original owner / watch is unpolished / full kit) which I wore for the last 13 years on a daily basis for a brand new Blancpain Bathyscaphe Fifty Fathoms. I had been contemplating selling my Rolex for about a year to fund a new watch. My Rolex Submariner was probably due for a service, I wanted a date function, I had become increasingly self-conscious about wearing a very recognizable luxury brand, the bracelet was beginning to have a bit too much stretch for my tastes, it had gone up about 250% in value from when I purchased it, and the 40mm size is classic but given my wrist and hand size a slightly larger watch looks more proportional. There were many reasons that I hesitated to make the trade. I kept my Submariner in immaculate condition, despite how common the reference I am not sure I could replace the unpolished / full kit scenario at a reasonable price. I know the trade was clearly a value loser from a monetary perspective, the Rolex will appreciate more and will be more liquid than the Blancpain, the 14060m is a classic and the last ‘true’ representation of the early vintage Submariners, it goes with everything, and I had that watch on my wrist during a lot of good and not so good times - so i have a lot of personal life history with it.

What did i like about the Blancpain - it was basically the exact watch i would have designed if someone gave me an ‘ open canvas’. 43mm but wears a bit smaller in my view, crazy accurate, large crown, incredible movement - 120 hour power reserve and solid 18k gray frosted rotor, legible, date function, unrecognizable by the general public, impeccable fit and finish, unique swim-able sail cloth strap (also available on bracelet but I wanted a watch with a strap not a bracelet), solid history from a respectable brand.

So now that i have owned the Blancpain for a few months how do i feel - i like my Blancpain more than i regret trading the Rolex. Only time will tell if I continue to feel that way......

Bracelet / Strap

14060m - 20mm stainless oyster bracelet with hollow end links. I personally had no issue with this bracelet. It looks great and is a standard size so you can change to a nato, leather, etc. Only downside was the stretch that was becoming more apparent over the years. I didn’t like the gaps that started to show between the links. The other concern I had was the ‘thinness’ of some of the connecting pins. In particular where the clasp attached to the bracelet. I know that bracelet failure is rare but I could see how that could happen given how the pins wear down over time.

Blancpain sail cloth - 23mm non-standard size. This clearly limits strap options. The quality of the strap is great. I have taken it in the water several times and it drys quickly. Also, when it comes to straps sometimes you just get lucky with the hole spacing. It seems straps are either too tight, too lose or perfect. I was lucky, the hole placement on this one is perfect for my wrist size. The Blancpain buckle is also top notch. Very nicely executed. It looks really cool, the lettering is perfect and clean, and its built very well while not being ‘overdone’.

Bezel

14060m - i really like the simplicity of the submariner aluminum bezel. You do not feel like you need to worry about scratching it. It was also smooth with its 120 clicks

Blancpain - totally different quality level. It is better proportioned in my opinion. It centers perfectly. Only downside is i really do like the 120 clicks vs 60.

Crystal

14060m - flat and boring but totally functional

Blancpain - slightly convex which i think looks better
Dial and Lume

14060m - beautiful and high quality with white gold surrounds and plenty of lume. Elegant and simple and well proportioned

Blancpain - lume and hour markers are equal to the Rolex. I can’t describe the color of the dial. It changes based on the reflection and level of light in the room. Sometimes it looks black and sometimes it looks grey. Some people do not like the 4pm date box location. It doesn’t bother me.

Hands

14060m - class Mercedes symbol hour hand. I actually never really liked it that much. That said, the hands of a watch were never something that i really focused on or felt strongly about.

Blancpain - reminds me of the hands on my IWC 353602 Aquatimer. They are fine. Again, not really much of a differentiator for me.

Crown

14060m - The crown and crown guards on the 14060m were great. I felt the way the crown engaged and ‘locked down’ with the visible gasket (when crown was opened) made it really seem like there was no way that it was going to come lose. Great design and quality.

Blancpain - i much prefer the larger crown. It also has slightly ‘ruffed’ edges which provide an amazing grip. It locks down smoothly but not with the level of ‘snugness’ that I felt the rolex demonstrated. I think it would be great if it had the visible gasket like the 14060m. That extra gasket made me think the 14060m was more waterproof than the 300m rating.

Case

14060m - 50+ year old design. I always liked how the height allowed it to easily slip under a shirt cuff

Blancpain - the faceted case design is spectacular and the size looks better on my wrist. It has a more modern feel for sure. It’s slightly taller and i have actually bumped it against a few things by accident. Didn’t seem to have that issue with the 14060m. Feels like i need to be more careful with this watch which i do not exactly like......

Movement

14060m - solid caseback which is very ‘toolish’ and functional. Lots of respect here. The 14060m always ran at 12 seconds fast per day since the day i bought it. I wish it was closer to COSC but its consistency was such that I never did anything about it. I also feel like the watch and movement can take a beating.

Blancpain - visible through a clear case back. The movement is really a work of art and fun to gaze upon. I think the fact that Blancpain used a solid 18k rotor and then frosted it grey so it would be more appropriate for a sports watch is just awesome. The 120 hour power reserve is great (not that i will ever need it since I am a 1 watch guy after selling off a small collection over the last few years) I hope the watch and movement can take a beating like the Rolex! The watch is also running at +2 seconds per day. It is the most accurate watch i have ever owned.

Summary - I will end where I started. Right now I like the Blancpain way more than I regret selling the submariner. Let’s see how I feel in a year. Stay well everyone.
jrgannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 12:16 PM   #2
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Your previous Sub was prob magnatized from the very beginning due to it being +12 sec per day fast. Easy fix if it was. Not familiar with the Blancpain but if that makes you happy doing the trade then congrats on your new watch. 13 years was a long time to hold onto that sub too.
Old 28 May 2020, 12:22 PM   #3
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onequik135i View Post
Your previous Sub was prob magnatized from the very beginning due to it being +12 sec per day fast. Easy fix if it was. Not familiar with the Blancpain but if that makes you happy doing the trade then congrats on your new watch. 13 years was a long time to hold onto that sub too.
I doubt it if it was running consistently - if magnetized would likely be erratic. But it's gone now so a bit academic.

@OP - thanks for the excellent review - the Bathy is a great watch and one that really needs to be seen IRL to be appreciated. As you mention, the quality and execution of finishing is top-notch
Old 28 May 2020, 01:35 PM   #4
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgannon View Post
I recently did what many may view as unthinkable. I completed an even trade for my Rolex 14060m submariner (I am the original owner / watch is unpolished / full kit) which I wore for the last 13 years on a daily basis for a brand new Blancpain Bathyscaphe Fifty Fathoms. I had been contemplating selling my Rolex for about a year to fund a new watch. My Rolex Submariner was probably due for a service, I wanted a date function, I had become increasingly self-conscious about wearing a very recognizable luxury brand, the bracelet was beginning to have a bit too much stretch for my tastes, it had gone up about 250% in value from when I purchased it, and the 40mm size is classic but given my wrist and hand size a slightly larger watch looks more proportional. There were many reasons that I hesitated to make the trade. I kept my Submariner in immaculate condition, despite how common the reference I am not sure I could replace the unpolished / full kit scenario at a reasonable price. I know the trade was clearly a value loser from a monetary perspective, the Rolex will appreciate more and will be more liquid than the Blancpain, the 14060m is a classic and the last ‘true’ representation of the early vintage Submariners, it goes with everything, and I had that watch on my wrist during a lot of good and not so good times - so i have a lot of personal life history with it.

What did i like about the Blancpain - it was basically the exact watch i would have designed if someone gave me an ‘ open canvas’. 43mm but wears a bit smaller in my view, crazy accurate, large crown, incredible movement - 120 hour power reserve and solid 18k gray frosted rotor, legible, date function, unrecognizable by the general public, impeccable fit and finish, unique swim-able sail cloth strap (also available on bracelet but I wanted a watch with a strap not a bracelet), solid history from a respectable brand.

So now that i have owned the Blancpain for a few months how do i feel - i like my Blancpain more than i regret trading the Rolex. Only time will tell if I continue to feel that way......

Bracelet / Strap

14060m - 20mm stainless oyster bracelet with hollow end links. I personally had no issue with this bracelet. It looks great and is a standard size so you can change to a nato, leather, etc. Only downside was the stretch that was becoming more apparent over the years. I didn’t like the gaps that started to show between the links. The other concern I had was the ‘thinness’ of some of the connecting pins. In particular where the clasp attached to the bracelet. I know that bracelet failure is rare but I could see how that could happen given how the pins wear down over time.

Blancpain sail cloth - 23mm non-standard size. This clearly limits strap options. The quality of the strap is great. I have taken it in the water several times and it drys quickly. Also, when it comes to straps sometimes you just get lucky with the hole spacing. It seems straps are either too tight, too lose or perfect. I was lucky, the hole placement on this one is perfect for my wrist size. The Blancpain buckle is also top notch. Very nicely executed. It looks really cool, the lettering is perfect and clean, and its built very well while not being ‘overdone’.

Bezel

14060m - i really like the simplicity of the submariner aluminum bezel. You do not feel like you need to worry about scratching it. It was also smooth with its 120 clicks

Blancpain - totally different quality level. It is better proportioned in my opinion. It centers perfectly. Only downside is i really do like the 120 clicks vs 60.

Crystal

14060m - flat and boring but totally functional

Blancpain - slightly convex which i think looks better
Dial and Lume

14060m - beautiful and high quality with white gold surrounds and plenty of lume. Elegant and simple and well proportioned

Blancpain - lume and hour markers are equal to the Rolex. I can’t describe the color of the dial. It changes based on the reflection and level of light in the room. Sometimes it looks black and sometimes it looks grey. Some people do not like the 4pm date box location. It doesn’t bother me.

Hands

14060m - class Mercedes symbol hour hand. I actually never really liked it that much. That said, the hands of a watch were never something that i really focused on or felt strongly about.

Blancpain - reminds me of the hands on my IWC 353602 Aquatimer. They are fine. Again, not really much of a differentiator for me.

Crown

14060m - The crown and crown guards on the 14060m were great. I felt the way the crown engaged and ‘locked down’ with the visible gasket (when crown was opened) made it really seem like there was no way that it was going to come lose. Great design and quality.

Blancpain - i much prefer the larger crown. It also has slightly ‘ruffed’ edges which provide an amazing grip. It locks down smoothly but not with the level of ‘snugness’ that I felt the rolex demonstrated. I think it would be great if it had the visible gasket like the 14060m. That extra gasket made me think the 14060m was more waterproof than the 300m rating.

Case

14060m - 50+ year old design. I always liked how the height allowed it to easily slip under a shirt cuff

Blancpain - the faceted case design is spectacular and the size looks better on my wrist. It has a more modern feel for sure. It’s slightly taller and i have actually bumped it against a few things by accident. Didn’t seem to have that issue with the 14060m. Feels like i need to be more careful with this watch which i do not exactly like......

Movement

14060m - solid caseback which is very ‘toolish’ and functional. Lots of respect here. The 14060m always ran at 12 seconds fast per day since the day i bought it. I wish it was closer to COSC but its consistency was such that I never did anything about it. I also feel like the watch and movement can take a beating.

Blancpain - visible through a clear case back. The movement is really a work of art and fun to gaze upon. I think the fact that Blancpain used a solid 18k rotor and then frosted it grey so it would be more appropriate for a sports watch is just awesome. The 120 hour power reserve is great (not that i will ever need it since I am a 1 watch guy after selling off a small collection over the last few years) I hope the watch and movement can take a beating like the Rolex! The watch is also running at +2 seconds per day. It is the most accurate watch i have ever owned.

Summary - I will end where I started. Right now I like the Blancpain way more than I regret selling the submariner. Let’s see how I feel in a year. Stay well everyone.

Thanks for the review. Can you show us pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 01:44 PM   #5
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Nice review. Thanks for sharing it
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 02:12 PM   #6
ZeGerman11
"TRF" Member

Great post, thank you. There was a brief period last summer where I was debating a trade of my GMT for a Bathyscaphe. It is such a fantastic looking watch.

In the end, I did not like the idea of giving up my only watch with a bracelet, and the hour markers on the Bathy were just a bit out of proportion to the size of the watch, in my eyes. There was so much dead space on the dial. The watch didn’t grab me in person like it did in pictures.

Wouldn’t mind seeing some pics if you have any. Real life shots of that watch aren’t the most common thing in the world. Shame, as it’s clearly a quality watch that probably deserves more attention than it gets.
ZeGerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 02:14 PM   #7
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I am glad to hear that you are loving your new Blancpain. The most important thing is that the watch fits your criteria for what is ideal and it sounds like it is exactly that.

In my own personal experience, brand and perceived value have very little correlation with long term enjoyment of a watch. The only thing I would have done different is I would have just added as opposed to replace.

With regard to the review, well thought out and quite objective. But... the forum loves pictures
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 03:12 PM   #8
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko,Casio,Rolex
Thanks for the great review, you clearly put a lot of time and effort writing it.

Like you I also had a moment of wanting to let go of my 14060m, which I bought 10 years ago on a whim (I went to the AD with intention to buy a different watch but the sales guy persuaded me to get the Sub instead - I think he was keen to sell it as he admitted it wasn’t as popular as the date model and it had been sitting in the window for a year). It was running fast, and I found it heavy on the wrist and the bracelet a bit bulky at the clasp. I took it to a used watches dealer in Liverpool, England, but they declined it and said it wasn’t worth much (I think that was code-speak for thinking it was fake?)

I then took it to Rolex in St James London for servicing and started liking it more when I got it back, it was running much more accurately and looked nicer in my opinion as they had given the lugs widened bevel edges. Now I wear it most days and it’s now my beater watch. I think I would have regretted it if I had sold it, especially as I am more aware of how much it has gone up in value since I almost sold it.

That said, the Blancpain is a stunning replacement and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 03:19 PM   #9
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
Thanks for the review. Can you show us pictures?

My thoughts exactly - please post some pictures. Thanks for the review OP.
Old 28 May 2020, 10:27 PM   #10
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

I own both. Cant say i would have done that trade do. The Bathy is nice if you have the wrist for it. 7.5+ i would say. Thin bezel and large dial makes it wear bigger imo then 43.

A pre ceramic sub is such a classic and always will be. Blancpain ( and i own 2)
Is not realy the Blancpain from the past. Fun for sure if you have 10/20+ watches but as a one watch or small collection... No.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 11:58 PM   #11
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Glad you like the Blancpain. I would have kept the Sub and added the Blancpain, but everyone has different ideas.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 12:05 AM   #12
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

That watch is on my very short list. I love those. As I'm not really interested in hanging onto watches for perceived (or realized) value, I would have made that trade, as well.

Pics, please.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 01:26 AM   #13
bigjack78
"TRF" Member

I like my Bathyscaphe as well. You're right about it being anonymous to the public. I've never gotten a complement on it, haha.
bigjack78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 02:22 AM   #14
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Blancpain more or less invented the divers. I like them and would have done the same trade.

(Nice post, pity that you didn't add pics to clarify )
Old 29 May 2020, 02:26 AM   #15
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Nice summary.
I had a similar situation to yours. I owned the LVc and the Milspec. I found the Milspec to outclass the LVc in most regards other than the bracelet/strap. I traded away my LVc and haven't really regretted the decision.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 06:02 AM   #16
OJONES
"TRF" Member

This thread needs more pics.
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 07:38 AM   #17
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Here is mine. Like the watch but hate the size. To big for my 7+ wrist. Holding on to it do. If they ever release a 40m ill flip it in a heart beat.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn BBB100-2 met Tapatalk
Old 30 May 2020, 03:07 AM   #18
jrgannon
"TRF" Member

Sorry to ask but what is the best way to upload pics. Seems to require that I like to some other hosting site vs just upload a pic
Old 30 May 2020, 06:24 AM   #19
bigjack78
"TRF" Member

bigjack78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 10:13 PM   #20
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Quote:
Sorry to ask but what is the best way to upload pics. Seems to require that I like to some other hosting site vs just upload a pic
Use the tapatalk app. Install it on your phone. Easy to upload photos.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 01:38 AM   #21
jrgannon
"TRF" Member

Here are two pics

Old 1 June 2020, 01:38 AM   #22
jrgannon
"TRF" Member

Old 1 June 2020, 01:39 AM   #23
jrgannon
"TRF" Member

Old 1 June 2020, 01:52 AM   #24
SearChart
TechXpert

Congrats, love the look of the BP.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 05:22 AM   #25
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Is that the ceramic blue?
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 06:38 AM   #26
jrgannon
"TRF" Member

No the bezel is black and the dial is charcoal grey. The watch almost changes colors depending on how the light hits it
Old 1 June 2020, 03:53 PM   #27
Sinanamus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
At first I thought it was a poor trade. Then I read the OP. You have excellent reasons for making the trade and if you are happy that's all that matters!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sinanamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 09:42 PM   #28
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I enjoyed your review and think you have a great watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 10:35 PM   #29
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No the bezel is black and the dial is charcoal grey. The watch almost changes colors depending on how the light hits it
Does your bezel have any play to the right? Mine does on both bathy and mil-spec and heard from couple others the same.
Old 1 June 2020, 10:38 PM   #30
jrgannon
"TRF" Member

I need to make a slight correction in my review. The Blancpain bezel increments with 120 clicks. What I note is the ‘click’ is much more pronounced on the Blancpain vs the Rolex. The Rolex was smoother. The bezel on my Blancpain does not have any play in it