The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 28 February 2020, 09:39 AM   #31
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Lume seems over rated to me, I've never really needed it much it doesn't even last long if you had to depend on it. I'd rather have a nicer dial than choose one with lume just for that sake. Example being Romans over stick. No lume but a nicer looking dial, to me. Even my Expll doesn't last long enough to appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 11:13 AM   #32
tigey
"TRF" Member

My Seiko Monster is a torch compared to my sub and the lume lasts longer also
tigey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 09:45 PM   #33
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I agree 100%. I have a Sky Dweller and absolutely love it, it has become my favorite watch. Agree the superluminova is not very effective but all the other features more than compensate for it.
All the best, Frank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 09:05 PM   #34
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Just dropping this excellent graph here with some measured data. Apologies if it's been shared before. Subjectively, with my eyes, I find the lume to be incredible when fully charged at 1000. And only really takes about 30 secs to charge with a bright full spectrum light such as your phone's flashlight. But, as the graph shows, within an hour its lost 90% of its brightness and is now only helpful in very dark situations. That jives with my experience.

Mike
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 10:46 PM   #35
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigey View Post
My Seiko Monster is a torch compared to my sub and the lume lasts longer also
You guys and your watches,now watches like the Seiko Monster have a huge lume surface area compared to all Rolex watches which have small hour plots even smaller lume are on hands.The more lume surface area the great the lume will seem to glow.But when you start to use charts and the like IMHO this is way getting into OCD territory and start taking the enjoyment of owning a Rolex watch.And lume glow is down to the persons eyes and whether viewed in a totally dark space and eyes accustomed to the dark.But lume glow would be far down my list in importance with any watch.

And now we have Chromalight another made up name, but in the real world its only a different colour combination of Luminover paint and would expect made by the same company. Luminover is made by Nemoto a Japanese luminous paint maker now they moved a part of its factory to Switzerland in 1998 in Joint-ventured with RC-Tritec AG.This was to establish Luminova AG Switzerland for supplying Luminova to all the Swiss watch industry including Rolex and most all of the major brands.Later around 2001/2 the name was changed to super-luminover and many other names for basically the same product under the various brand made up names. But its mostly all basically the same paint with a slightly different colour pigments plus hand and marker surface area.And now we have Chromolight which is more on the blue spectrum colour now which is a Rolex trademark name. But again this could be a special colour blend of luminous paint by Nemoto for Rolex, I would doubt if Rolex themselves would make lume paint.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 11:29 PM   #36
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
But when you start to use charts and the like IMHO this is way getting into OCD territory and start taking the enjoyment of owning a Rolex watch.
Telling people they have an illness simply because their interests or priorities dont match with yours, can be offensive to many. I know you probably meant it loosely, but there are many people that actually do have that illness and are on medication for it. Also, putdowns like that can intimidate some to not share.

Let people freely discuss what they want in an open forum like this without concern of being ridiculed. As a key moderator of this forum your posts weigh heavier and can be intimidating to some.

Mike
Old 6 March 2020, 11:38 PM   #37
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey View Post
Telling people they have an illness simply because their interests or priorities dont match with yours, can be offensive to many. I know you probably meant it loosely, but there are many people that actually do have that illness and are on medication for it. Also, putdowns like that can intimidate some to not share.

Let people freely discuss what they want in an open forum like this without concern of being ridiculed. As a key moderator of this forum your posts weigh heavier and can be intimidating to some.

Mike
You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, not trying to ridicule anyone just stating a fact.When some start worrying over lume,or a few seconds out of 86400 in a day, I am sure it starts of taking the enjoyment of owning and wearing a Rolex watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2020, 11:48 PM   #38
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, not trying to ridicule anyone just stating a fact.When some start worrying over lume,or a few seconds out of 86400 in a day, I am sure it starts of taking the enjoyment of owning and wearing a Rolex watch.
You completely missed my point. But that's OK. I see you do a lot on here and I appreciate your efforts as a moderator. I'm just a newbie

I sincerely didnt mean this as a put down. It was just constructive criticism as someone who is a moderator on a couple of different forums myself. Best of luck to you and thanks for your volunteerism on this site. I know firsthand this job isn't alwaya easy

Mike
Old 10 March 2020, 03:34 AM   #39
diverdoug
Banned

Watch: YG GMT/blue Sky-D
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
100000000% respect padi and HUGE thanks for the educational info.

For my daily use, i rely on lume as sleep about four hours/day, and so at night dislike having to look up at the backlit clock (verus slightly moving my arm to see the time). By not needing to move much to see the time, the odds of falling back asleep, for me, is higher. Think that's part of why out of all the timepieces here, the Polar has been my mainstay nowadays.

Going to try the Panerai being delivered here today (large dial, easy to read) and see how that goes.

Again, huge thanks for historical info, much appreciated.
My brightest watch that is not back lit is a Luminox. I have had it for 2.5 years, and is so bright that I place it dial down to avoid brightness in the room at night.
diverdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2020, 03:51 AM   #40
Beauregard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
IMHO Superluminova sucks.

Rolex should use radioactive lume like Luminox, replacing it each time the watch is serviced.
Old 10 March 2020, 06:09 AM   #41
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
If you want great lume, you'll need a watch with tritium tubes. Everything else fades during the night. Tritium lasts 20-25 years, runs day and night, and never needs "charging" from a light source. Plus, it's replaceable during service decades later, when it starts to fade.

Ball Watches makes some great mechanical models, and most of them have tritium tubes.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote