The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 24 February 2020, 05:32 AM   #1
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

Daytona 16528 inverted 6 4 liner 200 bezel real or fake

Hello, I have an opportunity to buy this one very cheaply, which is why i’m curious if its all ok? ive seen tens of solid gold fakes, all of which were miles away from gen ones, and none had proper hands working. This looks good to me but who knows. I cant get a pic of the movement unfortunately so this is the only set of pics available

Sorry but i cant get these urls to work
Leopard88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:33 AM   #2
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

https://imgur.com/jEIDVHP
Old 24 February 2020, 05:33 AM   #3
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

https://imgur.com/1Nn3J0b
Old 24 February 2020, 05:34 AM   #4
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

https://imgur.com/JhNM4pW
Old 24 February 2020, 05:34 AM   #5
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

https://imgur.com/BPgdoXq
Old 24 February 2020, 05:35 AM   #6
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

https://imgur.com/2laiKKJ
Old 24 February 2020, 05:45 AM   #7
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

My pictures are at higher resolution, hosting made them a little blurry, so if someone would like sharper pictures i can send them
Old 24 February 2020, 04:19 PM   #8
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

Anyone found anything suspicious?
Old 24 February 2020, 08:59 PM   #9
Peemaster
Banned

Let the seller put it on a scale, weight will be an instant tell... There are no high quality fakes around of this reference, especially with plated / wrapped gold. Details look good from my side, the real question now is whether the seller is actually in possession of the watch.
Peemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 09:19 PM   #10
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

According to the owner it weighs 169 grams
Old 24 February 2020, 10:36 PM   #11
watchnut100
SCUMBAG

From the poor pictures looks ok, but I’d like to see better pictures to be 100%
watchnut100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:46 PM   #12
Peemaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard88 View Post
According to the owner it weighs 169 grams
This is strange; weight of a fully linked 16528 should be around 158 grams. Did he put in an extra link?
Old 25 February 2020, 02:08 AM   #13
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

There is 14 links, I don’t know the factory count. Owner doesnt know much about the watch- he put it for sale after his friend- its owner died in a motorcycle crash, he’s helping his wife that way. But he has a good selling story he runs a business selling audio hi fi, doesnt have any problem meeting at his address, doesnt sound like a scammer. But the watch is less than half its value so im suspicious, oh and it is located in Czech republic, and there are some quality fakes around there hard to distinguish (ww2 militaria) i hope they havent mastered watches yet...
Old 25 February 2020, 04:23 AM   #14
Peemaster
Banned

Quote:
There is 14 links, I don’t know the factory count. Owner doesnt know much about the watch- he put it for sale after his friend- its owner died in a motorcycle crash, he’s helping his wife that way. But he has a good selling story he runs a business selling audio hi fi, doesnt have any problem meeting at his address, doesnt sound like a scammer. But the watch is less than half its value so im suspicious, oh and it is located in Czech republic, and there are some quality fakes around there hard to distinguish (ww2 militaria) i hope they havent mastered watches yet...
Sorry but this sounds like übelste Abzocke. Usually these „my xxx died and i have to sell the item urgently in order to xxx“ are scam. Many further red flags with this one too:

- Motorcycle crash story
- watch 50% below market value.
- location (why doesnt the guy look for a local buyer? Rolex watches sell everywhere on this planet)
- strange pictures... did he provide you with a picture of the watch with current date and czech newspaper? If not, ask for it. After receiving the image use some online tools / reddit board's to check the it for signs of digital forgery.

Some further suggestions
- call his neighbors or shops nearby and ask if they know the seller
- come with (hidden) entourage to his place. don’t have the cash money on your body or elsewhere close to yourself until you inspected the watch
- chose a local AD for the transaction if possible
Old 25 February 2020, 05:29 AM   #15
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

Its very near my country border, no AD within hundreds of kilometers and the market to sell such a watch is better in my country so thats not abnormal. I reserved the watch quickly so he withdrew the ad, he didnt even describe it as a Rolex Daytona just a gold 18k watch, and by the phone he sounds reasonable his company exists and hes been selling for like 14 years on that classfield site
Old 25 February 2020, 05:59 AM   #16
Peemaster
Banned

Quote:
Its very near my country border, no AD within hundreds of kilometers and the market to sell such a watch is better in my country so thats not abnormal. I reserved the watch quickly so he withdrew the ad, he didnt even describe it as a Rolex Daytona just a gold 18k watch, and by the phone he sounds reasonable his company exists and hes been selling for like 14 years on that classfield site
Sorry to break it to you, but the chance that you will get scammed in the process of purchasing this watch hovers around 99,99%

I’ve been working in the field of IT-Security for almost 20 years now and i know all the scam stories, all the angles. Your scammer’s approach is not even particularly good though, he is trying to lure you into the tx with your own greed. Don’t fall for it.

I mean just think about this; this guy inherited the watch from a friend who died in a motorcycle accident. he doesn’t seem to care for the model number or brand of the watch. They have internet in the Czech Republic and all he has to do is ask for the value of a gold watch in an online forum. Instead he uses an online classified ad to sell the watch for 50% below market price.
The story doesn’t add up, proceed with extreme caution and without hope of actually getting the watch...
Old 25 February 2020, 06:04 AM   #17
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Owner doesnt know much about the watch- he put it for sale after his friend- its owner died in a motorcycle crash, he’s helping his wife that way. But he has a good selling story he runs a business selling audio hi fi, doesnt have any problem meeting at his address, doesnt sound like a scammer. But the watch is less than half its value so im suspicious, oh and it is located in Czech republic, and there are some quality fakes around there hard to distinguish (ww2 militaria) i hope they havent mastered watches yet...
Nice piece. Pics aren't the greatest, but looks OK from here. The only thing that looks strange is the "no tick" dial. Never seen one like that, but doesn't mean they don't exist. Box and papers included?

Obviously you would be wise to proceed with extreme caution and do your due-diligence, especially with a piece as (potentially) valuable as this. I'd want to speak with the seller over the phone to get a read on him (and verify that it's a legit number, and not a VOIP/Google Voice number). You might ask for a couple photos with a specific configuration/time set/background/etc. to prove he actually has the piece in his possession and not just scamming with pirated pics from the internet. I'd want to confirm it is not stolen either, so you would need the SN. If everything checks out, I'd still want to pay via CC or PayPal, even if it meant covering the additional fees. YMMV.

Good luck.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 06:57 AM   #18
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peemaster View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but the chance that you will get scammed in the process of purchasing this watch hovers around 99,99%

I’ve been working in the field of IT-Security for almost 20 years now and i know all the scam stories, all the angles. Your scammer’s approach is not even particularly good though, he is trying to lure you into the tx with your own greed. Don’t fall for it.

I mean just think about this; this guy inherited the watch from a friend who died in a motorcycle accident. he doesn’t seem to care for the model number or brand of the watch. They have internet in the Czech Republic and all he has to do is ask for the value of a gold watch in an online forum. Instead he uses an online classified ad to sell the watch for 50% below market price.
The story doesn’t add up, proceed with extreme caution and without hope of actually getting the watch...
He doesnt claim he inherited it- he just says he posted it for sale in the name of his dead friends wife to help her out and doesnt know much about the watch, doesnt even know if its real or not just that it is solid gold. I know the local market and the pawn shops in his area - it is a fact that he wouldnt be given more than scrap gold value where he lives, there are no watch dealers within miles, just pawn shops so he really might not know its true value. I wouldnt be interested, because it seemed to be another fake gypsy ETA daytona made from gold which there are hundreds but are very easy to tell. But once I saw the pictures it looked very good in fact it looks real. I also ran the pictures through image search and they were not found anywhere so its highly unlikely he downloaded them. Today i got one more on his wrist but quality is bad
Old 25 February 2020, 04:50 PM   #19
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

If you feel confident, go meet up first (without money). Looking forward to what happens!
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 10:52 PM   #20
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

One more pic of the side im worried by the pattern on the sides of the bracelet links
https://imgur.com/gZbo3mS
Edit* false alarm- checked on chrono24 they have similar patterns, i guess smooth polishing came with the new models
Old 27 February 2020, 01:43 AM   #21
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Its 18kt gold
But crown is marked 3 dots same size for SS?
I have only personally seen TT cases with incorrect crown marking.
PS - you realize this is the ZENITH movement nit inhouse 4130
A
Old 27 February 2020, 03:33 AM   #22
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Its 18kt gold
But crown is marked 3 dots same size for SS?
I have only personally seen TT cases with incorrect crown marking.
PS - you realize this is the ZENITH movement nit inhouse 4130
A
Yeah i know its a zenith based 4030, but i don’t get it with the triplock crown... all that i’ve seen have it
Old 27 February 2020, 03:55 AM   #23
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah i know its a zenith based 4030, but i don’t get it with the triplock crown... all that i’ve seen have it
Of course its got TRIPLOCK crown
But its coded as SS not 18Kt Gold!
Old 27 February 2020, 04:06 AM   #24
Leopard88
"TRF" Member

https://www.chrono24.pl/rolex/dayton...id14030259.htm
This one also has all three dots the same size
Old 27 February 2020, 05:42 AM   #25
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course its got TRIPLOCK crown
But its coded as SS not 18Kt Gold!
No, crown is fine.

As mentioned, the only oddity (for me) is the dial. I've never seen that particular dial with a "no tick" layout.
They may exist, but I've seen plenty of them and they have all had the "T Swiss Made T" lower on the dial, spanning 7 half-ticks.

Old 27 February 2020, 05:46 AM   #26
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
No, crown is fine.

As mentioned, the only oddity (for me) is the dial. I've never seen that particular dial with a "no tick" layout.
They may exist, but I've seen plenty of them and they have all had the "T Swiss Made T" lower on the dial, spanning 7 half-ticks.

I have seen crown anomalies on TT, indeed my TT is not correct.
Not noticed it on solid gold - that said, I see a lot less solid to TT
Thanks
Old 27 February 2020, 06:44 AM   #27
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have seen crown anomalies on TT, indeed my TT is not correct.
Not noticed it on solid gold - that said, I see a lot less solid to TT
Thanks
Not sure what you mean by anomaly. 3 dots = Triplock.

Dot size can vary depending on metal, and/or if it's a newer monobloc vs. non-monobloc version.

Old 27 February 2020, 07:08 AM   #28
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Not sure what you mean by anomaly. 3 dots = Triplock.

Dot size can vary depending on metal, and/or if it's a newer monobloc vs. non-monobloc version.

By anomaly I mean
On earlier TT DATEJUSTS they had a single bar indicating SS rather than 2 dots, this has now reverted to correct 2 dots

In OP example its gold triplock and should be 3 dots with middle dot larger, this watch has a SS marking

That to me (anyway) is an anomaly
Regards
Old 27 February 2020, 07:24 AM   #29
freefly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In OP example its gold triplock and should be 3 dots with middle dot larger, this watch has a SS marking
No. The larger middle dot is only on the newer (monobloc) gold crowns.