The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 December 2019, 03:06 PM   #211
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I’m solely talking about me and nobody else on this forum when I say I considered Tudor a “poor man’s Rolex” when I was drinking my own Kool-Aid by the gallon. Quite frankly, I was a superficial prick. I was honest with myself at one point and realized I would never purchase a Rolex without a cyclops because most people wouldn’t recognize it’s a Rolex. I’m ashamed to say that’s a true story. I’ve owned my share of Rolex, especially SS sports models, over the years. Once I really started to dig into horology, as well as grow up, I started to appreciate other brands, their history, and their owners so much more. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve owned other brands but, looking back, it was more a status thing than appreciation. It took me years to purge my collection and I swore I wasn’t going to purchase anymore watches for a while. A few weeks ago, I walked into my Rolex AD, and tried on a Pelagos LHD. I followed that up with two weeks of intense research, and purchased it last week. I really appreciate the fact it’s much more tool watch than jewelry and it is a really, really well-made watch. One of the most comfortable I’ve owned, and that includes all my Subs over the years, and I love that it’s 42mm, 70 hr power reserve, and AR coated for practicality. The clasp isn’t a GlideLock, which is my all-time favorite, but the clasp it does have is legit and my 2nd favorite. I never would have gotten rid of my first Sub had it checked a lot of those boxes.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 03:43 PM   #212
Italia64
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Great choice @mistercoach32
Italia64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 03:47 PM   #213
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Yes, the LHD is a great watch. I almost bought one but have to watch the retirement $$. I made a lot more working, but NOT working is a great pleasure!
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 04:09 PM   #214
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
The Tudor Black Bay is quite a bit thicker than a Submariner so doesn't sit under the cuff quite as well if you want to wear it to the office with a suit.

I actually have my name down with Harrods for their special edition with the green bezel.

Not sure whether I will ever get one or not as I have no prior history with them, but I am going to try my best.

I will contact them again after Christmas just to make sure they still have me on the list & may even consider a trip to London at some point in the New Year to see them in person & put a face to a name.

Fingers crossed....

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 02:36 AM   #215
Doctor.Ian
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG Rolex DD40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoach32 View Post
I’m solely talking about me and nobody else on this forum when I say I considered Tudor a “poor man’s Rolex” when I was drinking my own Kool-Aid by the gallon. Quite frankly, I was a superficial prick. I was honest with myself at one point and realized I would never purchase a Rolex without a cyclops because most people wouldn’t recognize it’s a Rolex. I’m ashamed to say that’s a true story. I’ve owned my share of Rolex, especially SS sports models, over the years. Once I really started to dig into horology, as well as grow up, I started to appreciate other brands, their history, and their owners so much more.

Thanks for sharing, a lot of growth and change as we spend more time in horology. I’m finding myself discovering the same the longer I’m in this watch world.

Enjoy the Pelagos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 December 2019, 04:17 AM   #216
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I can't get used to the hands so not for me

Same here. Bought BB Harrods, loved the green but hands are tough to like. Moved it on
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 04:59 AM   #217
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I love the looks of the Tudor, but I can't get over how high the case id/how high they set on my wrist. I have almost pulled the trigger several times, but can't get over the thickness.
Old 17 December 2019, 06:26 AM   #218
Ihatecheese
Banned

Great watches. Well made and attractive! I owned a Pelagos for which I found the case a bit tall and sharp. Otherwise I really enjoyed owning it. The brand is quite unknown to non-watch enthusiasts if that is important.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 12:55 PM   #219
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatecheese View Post
Great watches. Well made and attractive! I owned a Pelagos for which I found the case a bit tall and sharp. Otherwise I really enjoyed owning it. The brand is quite unknown to non-watch enthusiasts if that is important.
I agree completely on your last comment. I consider it a "watch person's watch" more than anything.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 06:56 PM   #220
Wood&Leather
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
I love the looks of the Tudor, but I can't get over how high the case id/how high they set on my wrist. I have almost pulled the trigger several times, but can't get over the thickness.
I tried on a whole variety of black bays for the first time less than a week a go. The twotone Steel&Gold on bracelet, the S&G on leather strap, the GMT on leather.

They all looked great staring at the dial from above, but the instant I stuck my hand out in front of me (the view you'd have most often with a desk job), the thickness made me shudder and dismiss all of them except...

For whatever reason the bronze seems to be either a single mm thinner OR it just appears that way because the dial is 2mm larger. In any case (no pun intended) I'm afraid the bronze is the only one i could ever own as the 58 is far too dainty for my linebacker build.

Quote:
I agree completely on your last comment. I consider it a "watch person's watch" more than anything.
probably my most looked forward to thing as a soon to be BBBronze owner. I'll probably be fielding more questions regarding its power reserve as opposed to "is it real?"
Wood&Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 02:32 AM   #221
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
Not going to hate, but I’m not a fan..

GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 03:17 AM   #222
KingKitega
"TRF" Member

I enjoy wearing the BB GMT, and like especially that the hands all reach the markers and the GMT hand is all red. The thickness not an issue for me.. with the watch easily obtainable nowadays, one should really try it on and then make a decision.
KingKitega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 08:45 AM   #223
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Enjoyed the read. Unlike your story, my story goes in opposite direction. I always fell in love with the design more than the brand that is behind the design. I had the opportunity to get a Rolex in 3 different occasions, I skipped 2 Of them
Number 1 came after turning down a Submariner for a Cartier back in 2000. The Cartier and Sub cost almost the same so the manager of that boutique tried hard to convince me not to follow my heart but my brain and get the Rolex, I got the Cartier. "God's now how much that Sub costs now!!!"
Second time in I turned a Rolex down was in 2018 when I picked A Tudor GMT instead of a BLRO.
As you can see, it's the design and proportions of the watch that talk to me rather than the Prestige of the Brand.
My first Rolex purchase had to wait until late 2019 when the SD43mm fells under my radar. I finally found the one Rolex model with the perfect size for my wrist.
For the first time in my life it happens that I own 2 luxury watches at the same time, I've always been a One-Watch-at-the-time guy, this new situation is bothering me a bit frankly, it's taking me time to get used to it. Between my one year old Tudor and brand new SD43 my heart is split in half, the Rolex couldn't by any means dethrone my love for Tudor.

Quote:
I’m solely talking about me and nobody else on this forum when I say I considered Tudor a “poor man’s Rolex” when I was drinking my own Kool-Aid by the gallon. Quite frankly, I was a superficial prick. I was honest with myself at one point and realized I would never purchase a Rolex without a cyclops because most people wouldn’t recognize it’s a Rolex. I’m ashamed to say that’s a true story. I’ve owned my share of Rolex, especially SS sports models, over the years. Once I really started to dig into horology, as well as grow up, I started to appreciate other brands, their history, and their owners so much more. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve owned other brands but, looking back, it was more a status thing than appreciation. It took me years to purge my collection and I swore I wasn’t going to purchase anymore watches for a while. A few weeks ago, I walked into my Rolex AD, and tried on a Pelagos LHD. I followed that up with two weeks of intense research, and purchased it last week. I really appreciate the fact it’s much more tool watch than jewelry and it is a really, really well-made watch. One of the most comfortable I’ve owned, and that includes all my Subs over the years, and I love that it’s 42mm, 70 hr power reserve, and AR coated for practicality. The clasp isn’t a GlideLock, which is my all-time favorite, but the clasp it does have is legit and my 2nd favorite. I never would have gotten rid of my first Sub had it checked a lot of those boxes.
Old 18 December 2019, 09:04 AM   #224
Dan417
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR Oyster
I’m a big fan of Tudor. I have a feeling they are going to be the next “Rolex” meanwhile , Rolex will be the next Patek...

2FA secured

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Dan417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 02:48 AM   #225
Wood&Leather
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
Second time in I turned a Rolex down was in 2018 when I picked A Tudor GMT instead of a BLRO. As you can see, it's the design and proportions of the watch that talk to me rather than the Prestige of the Brand.
I didn't think you were frauding until you mentioned proportions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan417 View Post
I’m a big fan of Tudor. I have a feeling they are going to be the next “Rolex” meanwhile , Rolex will be the next Patek..
Tudor will be Tudor. Fortunate, blatant pricks on the internet like to call them "a poor man's rolex". Less blatant fortunate snobs leave backhanded "compliments" of the brand. They're an entry level/younger rolex and there's nothing wrong with that. That younger part affords them substantially more possibilities as to what they can release (ie Bronze). It's like someone in an AMG E-Class scoffing at a CLA just because it's entry level and doesn't come with ALLLLL the finer fit and finish trimmings. Still a benz though.

On that note, Rolex will be Rolex. They'll never be Patek. Durable, attention grabbing sports watches they are. Subtle, complicated, stealth wealth (sans nautilus) dress watches they are not.
Wood&Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2019, 07:44 AM   #226
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Frauding ?

Frauding ? How? whom"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood&Leather View Post
I didn't think you were frauding until you mentioned proportions.

Tudor will be Tudor. Fortunate, blatant pricks on the internet like to call them "a poor man's rolex". Less blatant fortunate snobs leave backhanded "compliments" of the brand. They're an entry level/younger rolex and there's nothing wrong with that. That younger part affords them substantially more possibilities as to what they can release (ie Bronze). It's like someone in an AMG E-Class scoffing at a CLA just because it's entry level and doesn't come with ALLLLL the finer fit and finish trimmings. Still a benz though.

On that note, Rolex will be Rolex. They'll never be Patek. Durable, attention grabbing sports watches they are. Subtle, complicated, stealth wealth (sans nautilus) dress watches they are not.
Old 26 December 2019, 05:01 AM   #227
subdaytonadjfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Fan of both Tudor and Rolex. have a Black Bay 41 and a Sub C.

subdaytonadjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 01:46 PM   #228
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
No Tudor sings to me, if this changes someday then I may buy one. Omega Is my other brand.
Old 27 December 2019, 02:25 PM   #229
IR201
"TRF" Member

It’s not even close in my opinion. Bracelet and clasp miles away.

IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 02:26 PM   #230
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdaytonadjfan View Post
Fan of both Tudor and Rolex. have a Black Bay 41 and a Sub C.

Black bay red eta I would own I think. Ev else too thick for me.

IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 02:43 PM   #231
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

All smiles here!

Old 27 December 2019, 07:38 PM   #232
Nadi090
Banned

Watch: OysterPerpetual 39
They make good watches. I will always recommend a Tudor.

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk
Nadi090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 01:03 PM   #233
outdoors_guy
"TRF" Member

Love my Tudor North Flag. While Tudor started out as Rolex’s little brother, I think this is becoming less true with time, and I think the North Flag is one example of Tudor developing its own identity.

I also like that non-watch people don’t know Tudor, which means I can wear a watch that I enjoy and not have to feel self-conscious about looking too flashy.
outdoors_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 06:46 PM   #234
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
I have nothing against Tudor but I wouldn't buy one
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 07:08 PM   #235
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I have 8 Rolexes and one Tudor (the original Black Bay on steel bracelet) and am contemplating getting the P01.

Great watches that come with the added benefit of access to Rolex's superb service network.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 09:45 PM   #236
danyvw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610, DJ126331
I have a BB Red ETA. Truth it's a little bit thicker than what I would like but is an awesome piece.
danyvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 10:33 PM   #237
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
Tired of waiting for the BLRO. Really like the Tudor BB GMT Pepsi and might go that alternative route. Anyone own one and how does it compare? For the price, its a lot of watch!
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 10:53 PM   #238
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
At 50% the cost, and 80-100% the tool factor, how can you not like Tudor?

I own a Pelagos, as well as a few Rolexes, including a Daytona C.

I assure you, when I wear my a Pelagos, I don’t feel “less than”, “poor man” or whatever attributes insecure people project on to Tudor.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 11:37 PM   #239
Gazoak
"TRF" Member

I think Tudor represent much better value than Omega and are as equally as well built as Rolex. I would also go as far as to say they are better built than a Rolex of 15 years ago.
Gazoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 02:08 AM   #240
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoak View Post
I think Tudor represent much better value than Omega and are as equally as well built as Rolex. I would also go as far as to say they are better built than a Rolex of 15 years ago.
I would agree. It took Rolex a long time to finally come out with a decent bracelet.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote