The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 January 2018, 04:01 AM   #1
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Steel vs Gold: Daytona Oysterflex

I bought my 116519 a few months back. At the time I wore my SS 116500 almost exclusively on Oysterflex, with aftermarket end links, to emulate the look of the 116519. When I got the WG Daytona, I put the Oyster PCL bracelet back on the SS Daytona, and have been wearing like that ever since.

Then yesterday, I switched the SS Daytona back to OF and I have to say I might just prefer my make shift Oysterflex SS 116500 more than the beautiful, and natural born oysterflex 116519.

Hear me out. They're very different, so this is not your typical which is better, "114060 vs 116610" type of talk. It's not really apples to apples. I know there are many variables to consider when squaring these two watches off. There's retail price, secondary market price and demand, oyster bracelet and PCLs vs Oysterflex. It's not really a fair comparison to make and to be fair, these two watches don't compete for wrist time. They both have a time and place in my rotation. I absolutely love both pieces and luckily I have no need or desire to lose one of them. That's no where this is going. Just sharing some information and perspective :)

There are really only two factors I'm going to review here: Comfort and Look (and the versatilely of varying comfort and look)

Comfort:

On OF the SS Daytona is more comfortable. This mostly comes down to weight. I mentioned this when I first got the 116519, but after months of wearing both, it becomes more and more evident every day.

The OF should be worn snug IMO, to look and feel right. it's weird because I often wear it so snug it leaves marks on my wrist, but despite what might seem like an indication of discomfort it is actually very comfortable. However, If it starts to bother me at all, I pop open the EZlink and let my wrist breath a little. This is a perfectly suitable option with the SS Daytona on OF. However, the weight of the gold 116519 Daytona doesn't really allow for this. Here's why; It MUST be worn snug all the time to look and feel right. If you wear that watch too loose, the weight of the head kind of moves about like a weight on a string. Attempting to wear it loose just feels wrong. You also always know it's there. Not necessarily a bad thing, but in comparison the SS Daytona on OF feels like second skin, regardless of how tight or loose it's worn.

Look:

OK so I'm gonna try to avoid getting flamed here, so hear me out. The WG Panda-esqu dial on my 116519, makes this watch probably the best looking watch I've ever seen in person. I want that to be clear, so you know how much I love the watch and appreciate how damn good it looks. The watch looks like a million bucks, wait, do people still say that with inflation and all? OK the watch looks like a BILLION bucks! lol.

Here's the thing. 90% of the time, in the summer i'm in a t shirt and shorts, and the winter jeans and a sweat shirt. I try not to look like a slob or anything, but I certainly don't dress up often. I don't need to look like a BILLION bucks. I don't even need to look like a million bucks. I very much like to fly under the radar, which is why the 116519 appealed to me in the first place. But what I'm trying to say plain and simple, is that the SS Black dialed 116500, is just a little more under the radar than my 116519, and therefor becomes naturally more versatile to me. I know I was trying to leave out other factors, but I have to admit the lower price point of the 116500 might play a little into my mentality of wearing it daily. Either way I'm simply more comfortable wearing my SS Daytona daily and for any occasion, including work which can be physical.

In Conclusion:

Combined with the versatility of EZlink sizing and versatility of casual wear, the 116500 might just be more valuable and useful to me. Of course, I haven't even broached the subjects like bracelet options, pricing and demand. But all of those speak favorably to the 116500 as well.

I really hope Rolex will start making the Oysterflex available on SS Sports models. The weight distribution is much much better than that of a PM watch on rubber. I know many of you wear Everest and Rubber B straps, so we have that as a frame of reference as both of those straps wear very similarly to the OF. Otherwise, I know I'm probably one of a small handful of people who have been lucky enough to try this configuration out. But take my word for it, the look and feel of the 116500 on OF is incredible.

Lastly: as much as I enjoy receiving private messages from anyone on the forum, I find I'm repeating myself constantly when discussing privately this SS Daytona on OF. So here is a prepared response to common questions:

Q: Where do you get the Oysterflex Bracelet and how much does it cost?

A: You have to be kind of lucky to land yourself an OF bracelet. You either need to have a fantastic relationship with someone at an AD who can hook you up, or you need to keep an eye on private sales. As most know, ADs are not really supposed to sell "loose parts" so don't waste your time or theirs going from door to door asking to buy one. If you have a good enough relationship to ask, you'd know.

The MSRP is about $250 per piece, so about $500 for the complete strap.

Q: Where did you get the Endlinks, how much were they and how is the quality?

A: I bought the end links from smartyjones18 here on TRF, or if you'd prefer you can visit his site www.smartyendlinks.com. The price is $80

The quality is quite good, but the fitment is not perfect. Especially after owning the 116519 which has the endlinks made by Rolex built into the case, I realize you can't compare. It's not quite a night and day difference, but it's close. Although small there are gaps and there is a tiny tiny bit of play. BUT, keep in mind, these end links are designed to work with a variety of straps, up to about 5mm in thickness. Perhaps at exactly 5mm the fitment would be closer to perfect, but you have the ability to pick and choose different leather or rubber options. That versatility is valuable IMO, but you can't have it all. I'm sure if you send George your watch with a dedicated strap and paid for a custom build, he'd send something back that works perfectly, but that's not what you get for $80. Overall I'm very satisfied with them.

Q: How does the SS Daytona on OF compare to the WG Daytona born on OF.

A: Start reading from the beginning.

Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 04:17 AM   #2
123joule
"TRF" Member

Nice write-up. I always enjoy your posts.
123joule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 04:27 AM   #3
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Looking good, my friend.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 04:30 AM   #4
KKO
"TRF" Member

The 116500 looks great on rubber! I’d imagine s/s the white dial would look amazing too.
KKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 04:37 AM   #5
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

So how much longer will they coexist - I know you said it’s not a this or that
But....
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 04:41 AM   #6
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Great write-up! Those are some beautiful Daytonas!
Old 23 January 2018, 04:46 AM   #7
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123joule View Post
Nice write-up. I always enjoy your posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Looking good, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
Great write-up! Those are some beautiful Daytonas!
Thank you friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

So how much longer will they coexist - I know you said it’s not a this or that
But....
haha I guess you know me well by now? for real though, I have absolutely no plans of moving my SS Daytona. HOWEVER, I have strongly considered trading it for a white dial. But I don't really want to pay the premium that comes along with it, plus I really love the black dial. if the right deal came along I'd consider it.
Old 23 January 2018, 04:54 AM   #8
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I love both but lean toward that stunning WG. From the pics the lugs on the WG seem to be a bit larger. It that just camera angle or is there a difference?
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 04:54 AM   #9
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Thank you friends!

haha I guess you know me well by now? for real though, I have absolutely no plans of moving my SS Daytona. HOWEVER, I have strongly considered trading it for a white dial. But I don't really want to pay the premium that comes along with it, plus I really love the black dial. if the right deal came along I'd consider it.
What about the white gold Daytona? Could it be on the chopping block, or is it a keeper?
Old 23 January 2018, 05:02 AM   #10
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin10101 View Post
What about the white gold Daytona? Could it be on the chopping block, or is it a keeper?
Not going anywhere my friend
Old 23 January 2018, 05:07 AM   #11
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
I love both but lean toward that stunning WG. From the pics the lugs on the WG seem to be a bit larger. It that just camera angle or is there a difference?
There is a fairly significant difference. The entire case really shows a lot of differences. It's the width is a little thicker, the lugs are thicker, the crown guards are thicker, and the curvature of the lugs under the case have a different, more substantial shape.

Again, when I speak of these watches and their value to me, I'm not trying to say one is better than the other. I really don't think you can compare them in that way. There are just too many variables.

Take the Tudor BB for example. I consider it to me one of my most valuable watches, while in fact it's the most inexpensive watch I own.

I truly love both of these daytonas, but the 116500 offers a lot more to me. then add in all the other variables, like the cost and demand, the ability to use the oyster bracelet, jubilee bracelet, Everest Strap, Rubber B, and now Oysterflex makes it a killer watch to own!
Old 23 January 2018, 05:09 AM   #12
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Both look really good. That WG though... Stunning!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 05:12 AM   #13
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Wow, very cool! Never knew there was such a difference Thanks!!
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 05:25 AM   #14
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Excellent write-up and I really appreciate your perspective. Since I flipped my 500, it probably won’t ever be an issue for me.

Great photos Chad.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 05:25 AM   #15
Wing-Co
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 40mm WG
Great photography, innovation and write-up. As a WG DD owner I just find the knowing that it is WG and the heavier feel and perhaps a feeling that gold sits on the wrist better makes me no longer interested in steel watches. The photographs to the uniformed would be impossible to differentiate these factors, but feel and the mind games wearing gold has makes the difference for me.
Wing-Co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 05:35 AM   #16
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
Excellent write-up and I really appreciate your perspective. Since I flipped my 500, it probably won’t ever be an issue for me.

Great photos Chad.
Thanks Rich! You can certainly make the case, that you'll never miss the 500 when you have 519 on the wrist. It is an absolutely incredible piece.

I'm super happy and lucky to have both.
Old 23 January 2018, 05:36 AM   #17
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-Co View Post
Great photography, innovation and write-up. As a WG DD owner I just find the knowing that it is WG and the heavier feel and perhaps a feeling that gold sits on the wrist better makes me no longer interested in steel watches. The photographs to the uniformed would be impossible to differentiate these factors, but feel and the mind games wearing gold has makes the difference for me.
I agree. The DD especially has an amazing feeling on the wrist. I owned a RG DD40. Simply didn't get enough wrist time, but if I ever get another full gold watch, the DD40 is atop the list, in WG as well.

Thanks for chiming in!
Old 23 January 2018, 05:43 AM   #18
joerivers1961
"TRF" Member

Very good write up Chadri.
joerivers1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 05:44 AM   #19
Toony
"TRF" Member

Great review. Been thinking about 116519 a lot lately. The inflated prices and difficulty to get a 116500 have made 116519 an option. Tried a 116519 the other day and photos don’t do it justice. Looks so great in person.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 05:51 AM   #20
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Not going anywhere my friend
Smart man that dial is absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

Great review, nice to see the subtle differences up close! Happy they can coexist.
Old 23 January 2018, 06:46 AM   #21
stylinleems

Quote:

Q: Where do you get the Oysterflex Bracelet and how much does it cost?

A: You have to be kind of lucky to land yourself an OF bracelet. You either need to have a fantastic relationship with someone at an AD who can hook you up, or you need to keep an eye on private sales. As most know, ADs are not really supposed to sell "loose parts" so don't waste your time or theirs going from door to door asking to buy one. If you have a good enough relationship to ask, you'd know.

The MSRP is about $250 per piece, so about $500 for the complete strap.

Great write up!! - I can't wait to put my OF on the SS Daytona when it arrives.

The OF up here in Canada is between $400 - $440/side depending on the dealer. RDV (Bloor St) charged me $440 for the EE side, but ate the 13% tax. So we Canadians, if the AD can get the OF for us, pay more for them (previously was $330/side).

Just an FYI!!
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 06:53 AM   #22
yoast
"TRF" Member

Is there any way of mounting the bracelet on the 116519? Probably not possible because of the endlinks, but It would solve your balance problem....(And look awesome)
Old 23 January 2018, 06:57 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
White on white is the best combo I've seen on the SS. OF looks good on the WG, but bracelet would be even better.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 06:59 AM   #24
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
White on white is the best combo I've seen on the SS. OF looks good on the WG, but bracelet would be even better.
When (if) this watch drops, the game will break!
Old 23 January 2018, 07:12 AM   #25
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When (if) this watch drops, the game will break!
Is this all white gold? I saw this watch in Vegas at the Bellagio.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 07:16 AM   #26
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melrob1 View Post
Now that I that I remember it was the stainless bezel
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 07:20 AM   #27
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quote:
Now that I that I remember it was the stainless bezel
Unless you saw a modified watch, or a fake it doesn’t exist yet. Hopefully at Basel this year, Rolex will make some dreams come true :)
Old 23 January 2018, 07:34 AM   #28
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Great review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toony View Post
Great review. Been thinking about 116519 a lot lately. The inflated prices and difficulty to get a 116500 have made 116519 an option. Tried a 116519 the other day and photos don’t do it justice. Looks so great in person.
I'd also check out the 16519 / 16518. You get the zenith dial and a bunch of different looks with about 6-9 rolex factory leather/gator options all for a fairly reasonable price. The 1651x dials are beautiful too. You don't get ceramic bezel, you just have to make do with solid gold.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 07:35 AM   #29
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Great write up! Appreciated.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 07:37 AM   #30
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-Co View Post
⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️ Have to agree with this 100%
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote