The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 April 2018, 03:24 PM   #121
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Both are looking great but I prefer steel on steel
Old 5 April 2018, 03:41 PM   #122
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I like Rolex watches as they come from the factory. Every time I make a change it is short lived.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 03:46 PM   #123
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
When (if) this watch drops, the game will break!
It will happen...and I'll be on the wait list again :)
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 08:24 PM   #124
mgd55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 16570
Quote:
Thanks very much! Happy to hear it. I wasn't seriously into Daytonas for almost 2 decades. I always admired them and found them to be one of best looking watches around, but the combination of smaller size and high prices, kept my motivation to own and wear one to a minimal.

Until the 116500 release. Just adding that tiny little piece of Ceramic, changed everything for me.

Definitely one of my top 2-3 all time favorite watches now.

My lack of real interest in them is primarily related to function—not something I have a use for in my daily life. But I can appreciate the aesthetics and I always respect well done complications. The size is really funny—my first thought was “that’s it?” when I saw my first one in person. But now that I’ve seen more I’m used to it and it doesn’t bother me at all. Who knows what my evolving tastes will be in a few years but I could definitely see adding a SS on OF if that drops (notwithstanding obvious sourcing issues lol).

Thanks for contributing—that’s why I love TRF...clicked to look at a different post and saws yours a few posts down in the stream and got to learn something :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mgd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 02:22 AM   #125
topfuel25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuel25 View Post
Hi it’s the new PM OF models...no modification but understand from ADs it’s common and not an “issue”

Don’t mind me borrowing a pic from above poster.

It’s the area circled, notice there’s already 2 spots of abrasion there each side, supposedly after more usage an abrasion line mark will form across joining the existing 2 abrasion spots due to constant rubbing from the lug/case area
Anyone noticing their strap having scuff marks after months of usage? Or everyone’s strap is as good as new
topfuel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 03:58 AM   #126
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuel25 View Post
Anyone noticing their strap having scuff marks after months of usage? Or everyone’s strap is as good as new
I have the SS model with aftermarket end links, but no scuffing from day to day wear.

Now, I do have to say that if I'm not very careful while installing and removing the OF straps (when I swap back to the original Oyster bracelet, for example), they can press up against the end link and get a temporary indentation. But nothing during regular wear.

To clarify: you do have to avoid bending the rubber strap back, against the natural inclination for it to fall. Hard to describe, but hope that makes sense?
Old 8 April 2018, 01:13 PM   #127
lisalisa
"TRF" Member

Awesome write up!! I love the wg of so much and soon it will be added to my collection..

lisalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 06:13 AM   #128
DrMattK
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Next One
Great post, really informative and a great pair of watches!

DrMattK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 06:38 AM   #129
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Anything for a while but Nothing has more longevity than steel on steel
Old 18 April 2018, 06:42 AM   #130
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
Awesome write up!! thank you
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 06:53 AM   #131
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Quote:
Anything for a while but Nothing has more longevity than steel on steel
While I'll admit, the OF might be my favorite way to wear this watch. It is extremely hard to compete with the oyster bracelet though. But that's the beauty of the 116500, why choose anything permanent?

It has so many looks!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:59 AM   #132
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Wow Cahdri, did you just the white one!? Looks incredible in those three different configurations!
Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO
White DaytonaC 116500
Omega Seamaster 50th Anniv Bond OHMSS
Omega Seamaster Bond titanium
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 08:49 AM   #133
WJGESQ
Banned

For that kind of money I'd want a real bracelet.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 03:00 AM   #134
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmizzou View Post
Wow Cahdri, did you just the white one!? Looks incredible in those three different configurations!
Thanks! Yes, I traded my black dial 116500 for it. Couldn't be happier, although I definitely miss the black dial. They're both amazing
Old 7 July 2019, 07:01 AM   #135
rolexmavin
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip
I know this thread is over a year old, but wanted to say thank you for the extensive thought and time put into the original post. I found it extremely helpful and valuable in developing my own thoughts.

I've opted to acquire the WG OF, and maybe will have the SS white panda after that as the little brother.

After trying on an OF bracelet (yes it is a real bracelet) I was surprised at how comfortable it feels. I was initially worried about the fins, but they're much softer than I had anticipated.

To my eyes, the best visual configurations for these are the factory defaults.

WG on OF, and SS on oyster.

Although I adore the Jubilee, for looks and comfort it doesn't mesh as well w/ the Panda daytona to me. In addition, the OF feels more aesthetically pleasning with the WG but I can't put my finger on exactly why.

I'm curious what additional aftermarket options will develop specifically for the WG Panda. Having a steel oyster bracelet swap-in would give it the ultimate configurability.

To the OP: What made you swap out the SS black dial for the white dial ultimately? From a pairing standpoint with the WG I can see both would work well. Black offers a better visual complement so its not quite so similar to the WG, but white can fill in certain gaps as well. I'd love to know why you got black initially and then went to white over time and if there were some specific reasons you found that ultimately white was a better fit.
rolexmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 07:11 AM   #136
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
While I'll admit, the OF might be my favorite way to wear this watch. It is extremely hard to compete with the oyster bracelet though. But that's the beauty of the 116500, why choose anything permanent?

It has so many looks!
Very nice!

Mark my word...Rolex is planning to put jubilee on the next version of Daytona!!
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 07:26 AM   #137
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
Either way I like it

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 08:43 AM   #138
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Great write up. Love oysterflex

Old 7 July 2019, 10:12 AM   #139
wulin
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AP,Rolex,IWC
Nice write up. I think the SS daytona with bracelet is going to look better still.
wulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 12:50 PM   #140
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Interesting write-up.

I have to be honest. Neither one of those watches is going to fly under radar, if the other one doesn't.

You're very fortunate to own two Daytona watches and to have the luxury of that distinction, though.

"Let's see. Do I want to look like a million bucks today, or do I want to look like a billion bucks?"
I've got the WG Oysterflex and the White dial Daytona , I also have the Green dial Daytona for when I do want to Pop and look a million bucks.
Out of all my watches the WG OF is my favorite , I believe it has the best dial out of all the Rolex range
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex.jpg (74.8 KB, 530 views)
File Type: jpg ROLEX 1.jpg (101.9 KB, 524 views)
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 01:01 PM   #141
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
I've got the WG Oysterflex and the White dial Daytona , I also have the Green dial Daytona for when I do want to Pop and look a million bucks.

Out of all my watches the WG OF is my favorite , I believe it has the best dial out of all the Rolex range

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 10:51 AM   #142
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great write up!
I'm not seeing much information on the clasp, though.
I don't think you can buy a stainless clasp for oysterflex/ leather.
So you would have to use WG or aftermarket??
Thanks
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 08:13 AM   #143
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay-dweller View Post
Great write up!
I'm not seeing much information on the clasp, though.
I don't think you can buy a stainless clasp for oysterflex/ leather.
So you would have to use WG or aftermarket??
Thanks
Sorry just saw this now. The SS clasp works fine with the oyster flex. No issues at all.

The older style 116515 leather strap will NOT work. However, Rolex has released a new leather strap that is compatible with both the PM Clasps on the oysterflex models as well as the SS clasps.
Old 27 August 2019, 10:19 PM   #144
eliucp
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the great write up! One thing I am not sure if it’s been mention is the weight of the two watches. How is the weight of the WG Daytona OF compared to the SS Daytona on SS bracelet? Thanks!
eliucp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 01:33 AM   #145
Aefwd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519 | 116710
Great write up, Chad, Thanks.

I put in an order for a WG OF a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if the 2019 version of this OF band requires sizing or is it similar to the new YM OF bracelet (EZ Flex)? When placing the order, my AD did not measure my wrist? Thanks
Aefwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 10:29 PM   #146
the KING
"TRF" Member

AWESOME....

I do have a 116500 and will be able to buy genuine Oysterflex band and end links.

Can the 116500 clasp fit to the Oysterflex band? Is the 116519 clasp different from the 116500 other than being white gold?

Thanks!

Quote:

I bought my 116519 a few months back. At the time I wore my SS 116500 almost exclusively on Oysterflex, with aftermarket end links, to emulate the look of the 116519. When I got the WG Daytona, I put the Oyster PCL bracelet back on the SS Daytona, and have been wearing like that ever since.

Then yesterday, I switched the SS Daytona back to OF and I have to say I might just prefer my make shift Oysterflex SS 116500 more than the beautiful, and natural born oysterflex 116519.

Hear me out. They're very different, so this is not your typical which is better, "114060 vs 116610" type of talk. It's not really apples to apples. I know there are many variables to consider when squaring these two watches off. There's retail price, secondary market price and demand, oyster bracelet and PCLs vs Oysterflex. It's not really a fair comparison to make and to be fair, these two watches don't compete for wrist time. They both have a time and place in my rotation. I absolutely love both pieces and luckily I have no need or desire to lose one of them. That's no where this is going. Just sharing some information and perspective :)

There are really only two factors I'm going to review here: Comfort and Look (and the versatilely of varying comfort and look)

Comfort:

On OF the SS Daytona is more comfortable. This mostly comes down to weight. I mentioned this when I first got the 116519, but after months of wearing both, it becomes more and more evident every day.

The OF should be worn snug IMO, to look and feel right. it's weird because I often wear it so snug it leaves marks on my wrist, but despite what might seem like an indication of discomfort it is actually very comfortable. However, If it starts to bother me at all, I pop open the EZlink and let my wrist breath a little. This is a perfectly suitable option with the SS Daytona on OF. However, the weight of the gold 116519 Daytona doesn't really allow for this. Here's why; It MUST be worn snug all the time to look and feel right. If you wear that watch too loose, the weight of the head kind of moves about like a weight on a string. Attempting to wear it loose just feels wrong. You also always know it's there. Not necessarily a bad thing, but in comparison the SS Daytona on OF feels like second skin, regardless of how tight or loose it's worn.

Look:

OK so I'm gonna try to avoid getting flamed here, so hear me out. The WG Panda-esqu dial on my 116519, makes this watch probably the best looking watch I've ever seen in person. I want that to be clear, so you know how much I love the watch and appreciate how damn good it looks. The watch looks like a million bucks, wait, do people still say that with inflation and all? OK the watch looks like a BILLION bucks! lol.

Here's the thing. 90% of the time, in the summer i'm in a t shirt and shorts, and the winter jeans and a sweat shirt. I try not to look like a slob or anything, but I certainly don't dress up often. I don't need to look like a BILLION bucks. I don't even need to look like a million bucks. I very much like to fly under the radar, which is why the 116519 appealed to me in the first place. But what I'm trying to say plain and simple, is that the SS Black dialed 116500, is just a little more under the radar than my 116519, and therefor becomes naturally more versatile to me. I know I was trying to leave out other factors, but I have to admit the lower price point of the 116500 might play a little into my mentality of wearing it daily. Either way I'm simply more comfortable wearing my SS Daytona daily and for any occasion, including work which can be physical.

In Conclusion:

Combined with the versatility of EZlink sizing and versatility of casual wear, the 116500 might just be more valuable and useful to me. Of course, I haven't even broached the subjects like bracelet options, pricing and demand. But all of those speak favorably to the 116500 as well.

I really hope Rolex will start making the Oysterflex available on SS Sports models. The weight distribution is much much better than that of a PM watch on rubber. I know many of you wear Everest and Rubber B straps, so we have that as a frame of reference as both of those straps wear very similarly to the OF. Otherwise, I know I'm probably one of a small handful of people who have been lucky enough to try this configuration out. But take my word for it, the look and feel of the 116500 on OF is incredible.

Lastly: as much as I enjoy receiving private messages from anyone on the forum, I find I'm repeating myself constantly when discussing privately this SS Daytona on OF. So here is a prepared response to common questions:

Q: Where do you get the Oysterflex Bracelet and how much does it cost?

A: You have to be kind of lucky to land yourself an OF bracelet. You either need to have a fantastic relationship with someone at an AD who can hook you up, or you need to keep an eye on private sales. As most know, ADs are not really supposed to sell "loose parts" so don't waste your time or theirs going from door to door asking to buy one. If you have a good enough relationship to ask, you'd know.

The MSRP is about $250 per piece, so about $500 for the complete strap.

Q: Where did you get the Endlinks, how much were they and how is the quality?

A: I bought the end links from smartyjones18 here on TRF, or if you'd prefer you can visit his site www.smartyendlinks.com. The price is $80

The quality is quite good, but the fitment is not perfect. Especially after owning the 116519 which has the endlinks made by Rolex built into the case, I realize you can't compare. It's not quite a night and day difference, but it's close. Although small there are gaps and there is a tiny tiny bit of play. BUT, keep in mind, these end links are designed to work with a variety of straps, up to about 5mm in thickness. Perhaps at exactly 5mm the fitment would be closer to perfect, but you have the ability to pick and choose different leather or rubber options. That versatility is valuable IMO, but you can't have it all. I'm sure if you send George your watch with a dedicated strap and paid for a custom build, he'd send something back that works perfectly, but that's not what you get for $80. Overall I'm very satisfied with them.

Q: How does the SS Daytona on OF compare to the WG Daytona born on OF.

A: Start reading from the beginning.

the KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2020, 07:24 AM   #147
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apmcconv View Post
Here we go.
I actually think the OF on black dial ceramic bezel Daytona is too black. The white dial daytona would look better with OF.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2020, 08:05 AM   #148
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:

I bought my 116519 a few months back. At the time I wore my SS 116500 almost exclusively on Oysterflex, with aftermarket end links, to emulate the look of the 116519. When I got the WG Daytona, I put the Oyster PCL bracelet back on the SS Daytona, and have been wearing like that ever since.

Then yesterday, I switched the SS Daytona back to OF and I have to say I might just prefer my make shift Oysterflex SS 116500 more than the beautiful, and natural born oysterflex 116519.

Hear me out. They're very different, so this is not your typical which is better, "114060 vs 116610" type of talk. It's not really apples to apples. I know there are many variables to consider when squaring these two watches off. There's retail price, secondary market price and demand, oyster bracelet and PCLs vs Oysterflex. It's not really a fair comparison to make and to be fair, these two watches don't compete for wrist time. They both have a time and place in my rotation. I absolutely love both pieces and luckily I have no need or desire to lose one of them. That's no where this is going. Just sharing some information and perspective :)

There are really only two factors I'm going to review here: Comfort and Look (and the versatilely of varying comfort and look)

Comfort:

On OF the SS Daytona is more comfortable. This mostly comes down to weight. I mentioned this when I first got the 116519, but after months of wearing both, it becomes more and more evident every day.

The OF should be worn snug IMO, to look and feel right. it's weird because I often wear it so snug it leaves marks on my wrist, but despite what might seem like an indication of discomfort it is actually very comfortable. However, If it starts to bother me at all, I pop open the EZlink and let my wrist breath a little. This is a perfectly suitable option with the SS Daytona on OF. However, the weight of the gold 116519 Daytona doesn't really allow for this. Here's why; It MUST be worn snug all the time to look and feel right. If you wear that watch too loose, the weight of the head kind of moves about like a weight on a string. Attempting to wear it loose just feels wrong. You also always know it's there. Not necessarily a bad thing, but in comparison the SS Daytona on OF feels like second skin, regardless of how tight or loose it's worn.

Look:

OK so I'm gonna try to avoid getting flamed here, so hear me out. The WG Panda-esqu dial on my 116519, makes this watch probably the best looking watch I've ever seen in person. I want that to be clear, so you know how much I love the watch and appreciate how damn good it looks. The watch looks like a million bucks, wait, do people still say that with inflation and all? OK the watch looks like a BILLION bucks! lol.

Here's the thing. 90% of the time, in the summer i'm in a t shirt and shorts, and the winter jeans and a sweat shirt. I try not to look like a slob or anything, but I certainly don't dress up often. I don't need to look like a BILLION bucks. I don't even need to look like a million bucks. I very much like to fly under the radar, which is why the 116519 appealed to me in the first place. But what I'm trying to say plain and simple, is that the SS Black dialed 116500, is just a little more under the radar than my 116519, and therefor becomes naturally more versatile to me. I know I was trying to leave out other factors, but I have to admit the lower price point of the 116500 might play a little into my mentality of wearing it daily. Either way I'm simply more comfortable wearing my SS Daytona daily and for any occasion, including work which can be physical.

In Conclusion:

Combined with the versatility of EZlink sizing and versatility of casual wear, the 116500 might just be more valuable and useful to me. Of course, I haven't even broached the subjects like bracelet options, pricing and demand. But all of those speak favorably to the 116500 as well.

I really hope Rolex will start making the Oysterflex available on SS Sports models. The weight distribution is much much better than that of a PM watch on rubber. I know many of you wear Everest and Rubber B straps, so we have that as a frame of reference as both of those straps wear very similarly to the OF. Otherwise, I know I'm probably one of a small handful of people who have been lucky enough to try this configuration out. But take my word for it, the look and feel of the 116500 on OF is incredible.

Lastly: as much as I enjoy receiving private messages from anyone on the forum, I find I'm repeating myself constantly when discussing privately this SS Daytona on OF. So here is a prepared response to common questions:

Q: Where do you get the Oysterflex Bracelet and how much does it cost?

A: You have to be kind of lucky to land yourself an OF bracelet. You either need to have a fantastic relationship with someone at an AD who can hook you up, or you need to keep an eye on private sales. As most know, ADs are not really supposed to sell "loose parts" so don't waste your time or theirs going from door to door asking to buy one. If you have a good enough relationship to ask, you'd know.

The MSRP is about $250 per piece, so about $500 for the complete strap.

Q: Where did you get the Endlinks, how much were they and how is the quality?

A: I bought the end links from smartyjones18 here on TRF, or if you'd prefer you can visit his site www.smartyendlinks.com. The price is $80

The quality is quite good, but the fitment is not perfect. Especially after owning the 116519 which has the endlinks made by Rolex built into the case, I realize you can't compare. It's not quite a night and day difference, but it's close. Although small there are gaps and there is a tiny tiny bit of play. BUT, keep in mind, these end links are designed to work with a variety of straps, up to about 5mm in thickness. Perhaps at exactly 5mm the fitment would be closer to perfect, but you have the ability to pick and choose different leather or rubber options. That versatility is valuable IMO, but you can't have it all. I'm sure if you send George your watch with a dedicated strap and paid for a custom build, he'd send something back that works perfectly, but that's not what you get for $80. Overall I'm very satisfied with them.

Q: How does the SS Daytona on OF compare to the WG Daytona born on OF.

A: Start reading from the beginning.

Excellent post. The OF on the 116500 looks outstanding, and better than the 519.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2020, 08:34 AM   #149
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva123 View Post
Sorry to say, but i just wasted 15 min. of my life by reading this post. At least for me, it is hard to find justification for spending so much time and effort in writing article about nothing.
You might think it, but you didn't have to write. What you wrote was very impolite. I'm surprised you didn't also complain about the lost 30 seconds you wasted responding to the OP.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 12:10 PM   #150
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
Excellent post. The OF on the 116500 looks outstanding, and better than the 519.
Just read the thread. Very informative. Thank you to OP. Great pics.

My mom always says, if you don't have anything nice to say, then shut your pie hole.
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote