The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 27 February 2020, 05:01 AM   #1
Mr Crown
"TRF" Member

Banned from my AD

I wasn't going to post about this but after a few weeks letting the dust settle and reflecting I thought I would to see what forum members think

Started buying from this particular AD in the uk in 2001 , first purchased a Breitling chronomat evolution, then a Breitling Bentley after that i got the Rolex bug bought....

Bi Metal Sub
Deepsea
Gmt stainless
Gmt Blnr
Seadweller 50th
Gmt Pepsi

I also own further Rolex models not purchased from this specific dealer as some i bought are used

So i have been on the list for a stainless Daytona for 6 years i had been chasing the dealer every 6 months as the ceramic model has become a bit of a grail for me , then last month i was offered a used one at £16.5k which i thought was a very good deal, taking into account recent spending and other commitments i decided i had to let a watch go to justify shelling out on the Daytona

I decided on the Pepsi, i had worn it on only three occasions and was as new so i listed the watch on eBay, i had various interest and calls but after chatting with 2 or 3 potential buyers who were fellow Rolex fans and collectors i decided i couldn't part with it and removed it from eBay with a decision made to wait for the Daytona

The following day i received a surprise call from my AD , expecting good news on the Daytona i took the call , only to be dropped the bombshell that my Pespsi had been spotted on ebay by rolex and i would no longer be able to purchase from them again!!

Now initially i denied this knowing that i would be looked at as a flipper but then came clean and said i had advertised it but changed my mind and removed, told them i had the watch and would bring it through for them to look at if that would put their mind at rest only to be told NO FURTHER PURCHASES END OF...after which i lost it and basically told them to get F***ed

so
Old 27 February 2020, 05:05 AM   #2
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
How on earth would they know it was your gmt on ebay?
Old 27 February 2020, 05:07 AM   #3
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Did you not mask your serial number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2020, 05:07 AM   #4
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Agreed. Unless you posted a picture of the back of your card, a receipt, or other identifying information, this is totally inconceivable.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:09 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m not sure understand ... you tried to flip a Pepsi you bought at your AD in order to buy a Daytona on the gray market ?

I might not be happy about that either if I’m your AD.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:09 AM   #6
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Did you list using your real name?

Did you list the serial number of the watch?

How were they so certain that it was your watch?

Does Rolex really have the staff to peruse ebay and other venues on the internet?

What about the classified ads in the newspapers?

These are just a few questions that come to mind.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 27 February 2020, 05:10 AM   #7
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyL147 View Post
Agreed. Unless you posted a picture of the back of your card, a receipt, or other identifying information, this is totally inconceivable.
AD manager has told me he has spent time searching pics on grey listings looking for serial numbers on the rehaut. He said he’d rather find out before Rolex did to anticipate the bollocking he’d get.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:10 AM   #8
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
No soup for you!
Old 27 February 2020, 05:11 AM   #9
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
You must have posted the card with serial number and AD name listed?
Old 27 February 2020, 05:13 AM   #10
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
If things went down like this there are almost no words to describe the absurdity of the current state of rolex. If you tried to explain how buying a new rolex works to people not aware they'd laugh at what they assumed was a joke.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:14 AM   #11
Mr Crown
"TRF" Member

serial number rehaut close up
Old 27 February 2020, 05:14 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Have to agree more fantasy Island posts.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 27 February 2020, 05:15 AM   #13
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I’ve been told stories by my AD of them doing this to customers. Except it wasn’t them finding the sale ad, it was Rolex who then contacted them about it. All ID'd via a visible serial number in a sale listing that was then traced back to the original AD

I’ve never known anyone on the receiving side of this so I figured perhaps they’re blowing smoke. Seems confirmed here that ADs do this

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 27 February 2020, 05:17 AM   #14
bumbershoot
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 116610LN
Honestly, who cares... Fu(k them. You do not get a say in how they run your business and they cannot dictate how you manage your finances. I have a real problem with this and you should as well.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:18 AM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crown View Post
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 27 February 2020, 05:19 AM   #16
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Something seems fishy about this story. By this logic, no one could ever make a mistake purchasing something, or have buyers remorse or just decide they couldn't afford or 100 other reasons for selling something.
There's legitimate flipping, which to me is you put in a request to get a piece, get a call on that piece and immediately put in up for sale with that being your intention the whole time.
Flipping, to me, is not selling something because you found something you like better, don't like the original purchase, money is tight, rotation of collection etc.

I'd tell the AD to enjoy the position they have today because the market hasn't always been like this and it certainly won't continue as everything ebbs and flows. Remind them of the old days where they hoped someone would spring for a Rolex instead of a $400 pair of earrings.

*If you posted a close up of the serial then you deserve what you get. There are plenty of reasons why you shouldn't do this. At the same time, what I said above is still true.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:19 AM   #17
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
well f***.

that really sucks. especially because you were basically forced by their tactics to purchase your daytona preowned, not at retail.

:
Old 27 February 2020, 05:20 AM   #18
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Honestly, who cares... Fu(k them. You do not get a say in how they run your business and they cannot dictate how you manage your finances. I have a real problem with this and you should as well.
I mean, it seems they didn’t tell him he couldn’t sell it. They just told him he can no longer buy from them. Seems to fit what you’re saying here

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 27 February 2020, 05:20 AM   #19
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Though the title says “banned from my AD” it probably should say “banned from most AD’s in the country” assuming it’s a WOS Group store.

Not trying to stick the knife in OP
Old 27 February 2020, 05:21 AM   #20
stlwatchlvr
"TRF" Member

Wow. Sorry to hear about your story. You have a great collection but I appreciate your frustration of being told your cut off.

This is fascinating. I guess Rolex is very hard core about this stuff. Makes me wonder how any of these grey market watches are getting online.

Old 27 February 2020, 05:21 AM   #21
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Rolex seems to be going to a lot of time and effort, searching ads and backchecking serial numbers, to cut down on flippers. And yet the grey market is flourishing!

So lets see, you buy a watch, and the manufacturer of that watch tells you that you can never ever sell it or they won't let you buy any more of their watches. So much for "resale value" and buying a Rolex as an "investment"! Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
Old 27 February 2020, 05:22 AM   #22
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

Obviously they don't want you infringing on their own flipping business.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:22 AM   #23
stlwatchlvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That will do it. Still it’s kind of crazy. A lot of effort for a ~$10k watch.

Old 27 February 2020, 05:23 AM   #24
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Should have sold it on the Forum.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:24 AM   #25
kwingy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
TBH - I kinda feel the same. If the story is true then I feel a bit for the OP. It's not like the OP didn't wear the Pepsi, he wore it a few times and now wanted the DaytonaC so it's his choice if he wanted to sell it on. I don't see why he should get punished for it. It's not like he had infinite funds to buy another watch. Selling another watch to fund another is perfectly normally.
Yes he is now burned at his AD but honestly there are worse things in life then losing his privileges to buy a watch from them that might never come.

I just think what the OP did, most would in that situation for watch they really wanted.
Old 27 February 2020, 05:25 AM   #26
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This makes sense. Rolex really hates the grey market I guess.

Ask yourself this question: if Richemont is buying back stock to destroy unsold inventory, would it really be that outlandish for rolex to try and find out which AD is selling to flippers?
Old 27 February 2020, 05:25 AM   #27
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Zach1 View Post
Obviously they don't want you infringing on their own flipping business.
/thread
Old 27 February 2020, 05:26 AM   #28
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Did you put the serial number in the ebay listing?
Old 27 February 2020, 05:26 AM   #29
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
This is a crap situation. The watch belongs to you, you bought it, it is your property. If you decided to smash it with a hammer it's your choice. If Rolex and AD's want to have a say in what we do with our property they should start leasing watches, or paying a percentage of retail out of their own pocket to have joint ownership.

Who needs to be treated this way?
Old 27 February 2020, 05:27 AM   #30
az110965
"TRF" Member

Wow. That’s an ad with a lot of extra time on his hands to peruse E-bay listings, search for serial numbers and run them through a database...

If ad’s gave more of a sh*t about flippers they wouldn’t feed the bears themselves.
Closed Thread