The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 February 2020, 04:33 PM   #181
Showcall
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mucus View Post
That's a wild story. I doubt a company like Rolex has the time to have staff scour the internets in search of people reselling their products. Maybe it's your AD just being an ass and not wanting to sell you that Daytona after taking all your money and selling it to someone else.

If your AD is the one searching everywhere to find out if one of the watches they sold is being resold then they have too much time on their hands. And so what if you decide to resell it. It's your possession now.
'Rolex has the time to have staff scour the internets "
Mate have you been to an AD Lately? 4-8 watches at best.. the staff have more time then patience on a rock..
Old 27 February 2020, 04:46 PM   #182
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Now what would the AD had done if you told them you were using the funds to pay for your kid’s cancer treatment? Or the mortgage because you just lost your job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2020, 04:50 PM   #183
Dreamshocker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
This is a crap situation. The watch belongs to you, you bought it, it is your property. If you decided to smash it with a hammer it's your choice. If Rolex and AD's want to have a say in what we do with our property they should start leasing watches, or paying a percentage of retail out of their own pocket to have joint ownership.

Who needs to be treated this way?
Old 27 February 2020, 05:40 PM   #184
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Screw the AD. Move to Patek. Or grey market.

Patek buys back popular watches from grey and will also take actions against errant dealers.

I humbly suggest to move to other brands instead.
Old 27 February 2020, 06:28 PM   #185
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I feel for you - your purchase history would suggest that you’re not the archetype flipper and if your honest intentions were to upgrade to the Daytona then it’s a crappy situation. In theory you own the watch and it should be yours to do as you please.

On the other hand we all want the shortage to stop and flippers contribute to the watches we want being unavailable. ADs don’t want to deal with flippers as it gives them a bad rep, and can leave them in a sticky situation with Rolex if found out. Listing a super hot model for sale in a new condition is flipper behaviour and the AD is within their rights to call you out.

I’d be surprised if there was someone at Rolex HQ searching out new listings, most likely the AD or another frustrated customer waiting for a Pepsi that has come across the listing. It wouldn’t take an AD long to do this and it’s not difficult to search for BLRO on eBay and filter it to UK only and new condition.

I’d suggest going grey for the Daytona. Your AD isn’t going to sell you one and starting at a new AD is going to take too much time. If you sell the Pepsi at market value then the uplift to acquire the Daytona won’t be too much. Hopefully you get the one you really want and you can chalk this down to experience & others can take away a lesson...
Old 27 February 2020, 06:36 PM   #186
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangos View Post
AD to customers ....
“ Do as we say, not as we do”

How many SS pieces has this and every other AD sent out the back door to greys?

Pot/kettle????

Total hypocrisy

Spot on.

OP - who was the AD?
Old 27 February 2020, 06:49 PM   #187
Cocochu
"TRF" Member

I want to know what was OP intention when buying the Pepsi Initially and exactly how long he had it for? A lot of us are buying these hot models as part of the collection but if someone using their position/ status within the AD to get these model just because they want it for a short time and then sell it to earn extra money then this count as Flippers, I think! U can’t just blame Rolex for this situation because OP was funding it for Rolex Daytona. What if OP is funding it for 20k+ watches from other brand. The motive is the same.

Old 27 February 2020, 06:50 PM   #188
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I would sell every Rolex I owned on Ebay, and find another brand.
Old 27 February 2020, 06:53 PM   #189
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
This is a true story. Very similar thing happened to my brother in December. He was given his warranty card back after 8 months, he put the watch online. A interested chap called, my brother told him where the watch originally came from.... 2 hrs later the AD calls and he is barred from buying any new Rolex from this network of ADs.

We suspect the chap that called either called the AD afterwards to check up, or it was actually Rolex that are phoning/emailing doing the fishing themselves?

I’m also UK based. This was a 9 month old 116610ln.
Old 27 February 2020, 07:28 PM   #190
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Banned from my AD

If I’m not mistaken, the OP got the Pepsi 7 months ago after what was a very long wait and his AD having him on a rather exclusive list. Relationship landed him the piece.

It’s a free world and he can sell what he wants. A pissed off AD on the other hand is also free to spurn his business if it’s made them look terrible with other clients who may have complained and/or Rolex peeved at seeing the AD supplying who they think is a flipper.

Cheers

Old 27 February 2020, 07:32 PM   #191
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
All of this is both really funny and completely ridiculous. I have a hard time believing it’s true. Rolex / AD’s scrolling the Internet to find flippers? Wow...
OP, did you really need to photograph and publicly display the serial number in your ad?

Old 27 February 2020, 07:35 PM   #192
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Now what would the AD had done if you told them you were using the funds to pay for your kid’s cancer treatment? Or the mortgage because you just lost your job?

I imagine that would make it a moot point. If he had all that going on, he probably wouldnt need to be on the list to buy a new Daytona.
Old 27 February 2020, 08:03 PM   #193
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Make no mistake ADs watch the popular selling sites .
Old 27 February 2020, 08:13 PM   #194
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crown View Post
I wasn't going to post about this but after a few weeks letting the dust settle and reflecting I thought I would to see what forum members think

Started buying from this particular AD in the uk in 2001 , first purchased a Breitling chronomat evolution, then a Breitling Bentley after that i got the Rolex bug bought....

Bi Metal Sub
Deepsea
Gmt stainless
Gmt Blnr
Seadweller 50th
Gmt Pepsi

I also own further Rolex models not purchased from this specific dealer as some i bought are used

So i have been on the list for a stainless Daytona for 6 years i had been chasing the dealer every 6 months as the ceramic model has become a bit of a grail for me , then last month i was offered a used one at £16.5k which i thought was a very good deal, taking into account recent spending and other commitments i decided i had to let a watch go to justify shelling out on the Daytona

I decided on the Pepsi, i had worn it on only three occasions and was as new so i listed the watch on eBay, i had various interest and calls but after chatting with 2 or 3 potential buyers who were fellow Rolex fans and collectors i decided i couldn't part with it and removed it from eBay with a decision made to wait for the Daytona

The following day i received a surprise call from my AD , expecting good news on the Daytona i took the call , only to be dropped the bombshell that my Pespsi had been spotted on ebay by rolex and i would no longer be able to purchase from them again!!

Now initially i denied this knowing that i would be looked at as a flipper but then came clean and said i had advertised it but changed my mind and removed,
told them i had the watch and would bring it through for them to look at if that would put their mind at rest only to be told NO FURTHER PURCHASES END OF...after which i lost it and basically told them to get F***ed

so
I think everything to be said has been said in this thread but you wanted other members opinion so here is my take on it.

First, it sucks to be banned from what I assume is the largest dealer network in UK. In some ways you have yourself to blame though, putting the serial number visible. And then lying about not being you selling it when confronted rather than coming clean immediately. Only this last part seems very shady to me and not someone I'd like to do business with. Since you hardly used the watch it seems you have maybe had this in your mind all the way, probably advertised as almost unused etc.

To those saying it's your watch your business. They did not forbid him to sell it, just not buy anything more from them since they are protecting their business. Rules of the game and completely according to capitalism. I don't know what you would call the practice of forcing a business to sell him a good at a pre-determined price which is the opposite.

To those not believing it. Why would he make up such an embarrassing story to start with? Secondly as others have pointed out, it's not hard work to check manually but also very easy to use web-scraping softare together with AI/OCR reading to get a list of serial numbers out for sale. When Rolex want to avoid ADs selling to flippers they do not need to check every single Rolex sold on Ebay but just a few spot checks here and there to spread the word, like this thread shows.
Old 27 February 2020, 08:22 PM   #195
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I can sell anything that belongs to me. A seller (private, shop, chain) can decline to sell something to me. We are both within our rights. I evaluate potential clients and ask around. I don't have to work for anyone who wants to hire me. I don't have to sell my services to someone I don't want to. Maybe the AD was blunt. I can see how that would piss off someone. But at least they told it straight.

This is a nothing story. The ongoing result from something that has been so blown up is that other ADs might have latched onto this and added the OP to their banned list. ADs do talk to each other. And to the distributor and to Rolex and to people they know in the grey market, including some of their customers who buy from AD and grey, like me.. Someone who buys a Pepsi in a specific week or month isn't difficult to identify country wide. Customers also approach my AD from time to time to report or complain about flippers, mostly without the full story, but it happens. Or at least it does at my AD.

My AD has a banned list. They try to be balanced about it but they feel the need to look after their local customers. They are not the "Rolex Police" as my AD puts it, but they have to protect their business in the long term. Banning flippers, or the criteria they use for classifying someone as a flipper will not be universally accepted, particularly by customers. But it's their business to run as they see fit. My AD hasn't been in business for over 100 years by some happy coincidence.
Old 27 February 2020, 08:43 PM   #196
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
My AD has such a list. They try to be balanced about it but they feel the need to look after their local customers. Rolex do not ask them to do it. And people who they know do contact them to flag things up, often in error. Somebody at a public function was rocking a hot Rolex and bragged to a number of people that he had a special relationship with our local AD who would get him anything within a short time frame. Probably utter nonsense. The AD says it is nonsense, and they had to say this repeatedly to a number of angry customers who were on waiting lists, berating them at length, some in person, some cancelling their orders.
Wow.. the jealousy and social control is almost creepy.
Old 27 February 2020, 09:23 PM   #197
makak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete26 View Post
This behavior by an AD is disgusting. Yes, the OP lied, but I can imagine the AD put the wind up him and he admitted it. Frankly, it's the pot calling the kettle black.

It's your watch to sell, if AD'S can sell on the gray market, why not us.

I have had my name down for a Rolex Sub-Date since March last year and not heard a thing, called twice to be told sorry.

That AD has now closed it's doors for renovation and the owners son has moved onto other ventures.

I have had it with the games Rolex AD'S play. It's your money. You buy a watch it's yours to do with what you want.

I have walked with my money and gone elsewhere for arguably a better watch and better customer service, so I decided to buy a Grand Seiko quartz GMT from the Grand Seiko Boutique in Australia instead. Not only was my watch delivered to my house next day. I was given a massive box and a Grand Seiko Paperweight with a 5 year Australian Boutique warranty.

Rolex have lost another potential customer in me. To the OP, I hope you find your grail and that you have continued opportunities to buy the watch you want.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

Well played. I know exactly the Brisbane AD you are talking about. They still have their other location on the Gold Coast. I recently cancelled the 3 watches I had on order with that same Brisbane AD who treated me with utter contempt. I've happily directed several other friends to a different AD interstate. Enjoy your Grand Seiko, looks magnificent
Old 27 February 2020, 09:35 PM   #198
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OP can do what he wants with watch, I would have told the AD to stick it where the sun doesn’t shine. Find another AD,
I’m sure they will be happy to take your money. Only in times like this with a shortage of product could someone call and accuse you of flipping.

OP, call the AD back, speak to the owner/manager and tell them that you have given the conversation some thought before calling them back. You listened to them, now listen to me. Tell them that you are a good customer, you own the piece and can do what you want with it. When you bought the watch they never asked you or asked you to sign something that you would not resell the watch. Then tell them they are fired as your AD, and you plan to tell all your friends your have referred to them the story not to buy from them.
Old 27 February 2020, 09:45 PM   #199
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Padi,

I don't think you know whats's going on with some ADs outside of your area. Some ADs are under so much pressure to not get caught flipping while others don't give a single hoot and sell to grays all day long through various ways.

My AD's manager (also a friend & mine and my wife) has someone look on eBay at watches being listed w/ in a 50 mile radius from his zip code (eBay search feature).

His Rolex Regional Manager is tough on ADs selling to flippers. He also needs to do stupid stuff with the display windows, audit stuff like those space filler caps, etc...

two years ago when we had a member here openly post / brag about wanting to flip a SS black Daytona & his profile listed his city, my AD actually created an account to PM that member to find out the serial / store bought from when inquiring about the watch. He wanted to know if the watch came from his store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree more fantasy Island posts.
Old 27 February 2020, 09:59 PM   #200
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am late to the discussion so many of my points have been mentioned. The watch belongs to the owner. He can do what he wants with it. The AD will be the AD and you can only control yourself and your response to the AD. Sell/Trade the watch and get the Daytona-C you want and move on. Nothing lost or gained. The market will turn and availability will be better at some point in the future. If you have the funds I have found many sellers will deal with you. Move on.
Old 27 February 2020, 10:06 PM   #201
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
OP can do what he wants with watch, I would have told the AD to stick it where the sun doesn’t shine. Find another AD,
I’m sure they will be happy to take your money. Only in times like this with a shortage of product could someone call and accuse you of flipping.

OP, call the AD back, speak to the owner/manager and tell them that you have given the conversation some thought before calling them back. You listened to them, now listen to me. Tell them that you are a good customer, you own the piece and can do what you want with it. When you bought the watch they never asked you or asked you to sign something that you would not resell the watch. Then tell them they are fired as your AD, and you plan to tell all your friends your have referred to them the story not to buy from them.

It looks like all the watches you bought from this AD are ‘desirable sports models’. It’s amazing you managed to get all these from the AD.

Nowadays they only care about how much you spend on ‘non-desirable models’ before they’re even willing to give you a desirable model. So you’re lucky you managed to get what you did.

Of course it’s a ridiculous situation that won’t last forever, but for now the power lies with the AD, not us.

When the tide turns, let’s not forget...

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
Old 27 February 2020, 10:20 PM   #202
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1786 View Post
Laing’s also make you sign a contract for the SS Professional range stipulating that you won’t sell for commercial gain in the first 3 years of ownership, unless it sold back to them.

Initially I thought all these games are ridiculous but on reflection, the above is a great idea. I also think scouring the internet for flippers and then conspiring to ban them from new purchases with ADs is a good plan. There are only limited things Rolex can do to deal with their problem as they probably cannot easily meet demand. The problem they have is of course beneficial to them right now because they sell everything but the likely loss of goodwill in the longer term is very damaging and most of their prime models are so inaccessible to the general buyer that they may as well not exist.
Old 27 February 2020, 10:26 PM   #203
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Padi,

I don't think you know whats's going on with some ADs outside of your area. Some ADs are under so much pressure to not get caught flipping while others don't give a single hoot and sell to grays all day long through various ways.

My AD's manager (also a friend & mine and my wife) has someone look on eBay at watches being listed w/ in a 50 mile radius from his zip code (eBay search feature).

His Rolex Regional Manager is tough on ADs selling to flippers. He also needs to do stupid stuff with the display windows, audit stuff like those space filler caps, etc...

two years ago when we had a member here openly post / brag about wanting to flip a SS black Daytona & his profile listed his city, my AD actually created an account to PM that member to find out the serial / store bought from when inquiring about the watch. He wanted to know if the watch came from his store.
I know of 2 posters here and the wife of one of them who are no longer welcome to buy watches at the local AD. Because of flipping. They were buying and flipping quite a bit.
Old 27 February 2020, 10:57 PM   #204
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
the rolex police are coming for them, in green suits with green rayban shades. they will soon forget they were an ad when the neuralyzer flashes oddly reminiscent of the platona dial hue
Old 27 February 2020, 11:18 PM   #205
Rwatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Though the title says “banned from my AD” it probably should say “banned from most AD’s in the country” assuming it’s a WOS Group store.

Not trying to stick the knife in OP
Time to change your name OP if that's the case, new man soon come.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:20 PM   #206
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Sounds like a possible flipper war to me.....

The Op has been flipping watches but told by the AD not to, or dont let us find out. Another flipper saw the ebay ad and narced out the OP to the AD.....Something like this scenario is much more likely this BS.....this story is a cover up....

Let's call this the BANAID thread, the OP sure needs one, for his booboo....

Or the entire post is BS.....
Old 27 February 2020, 11:22 PM   #207
Pawalu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Honestly, who cares... Fu(k them. You do not get a say in how they run your business and they cannot dictate how you manage your finances. I have a real problem with this and you should as well.
Easy tiga
Old 27 February 2020, 11:23 PM   #208
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I mean this sucks, but the upside is that the AD has never been more irrelevant and useless, unless of course you want a date just or ladies model.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:25 PM   #209
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
It's your property and you are free to do what you want with it. I very much doubt that you signed any paperwork agreeing not to sell the watch on e-bay.

So I am glad that you told the AD to take a walk, go find another dealer who sells different watches and spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

Ridiculous that your AD believes that they can control what you do with your property.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Old 27 February 2020, 11:31 PM   #210
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
BANAID.....

What’s a banaid

Closed Thread