The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 June 2022, 05:07 AM   #2611
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
I really don’t know. On the surface, I would presume it’s a sports watch, it has the big bezel, it has the cyclops. (Not saying this is why I’d buy a watch, but I’m saying these are typical Rolex traits that tend to correlate with high resale value). It’s not my favorite, but I think it is the best value for money, if I didn’t have my heart set on a yacht master, I would definitely pick up an explorer ii.
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2022, 07:18 AM   #2612
tirefryer
"TRF" Member

Watch: One on my wrist
To me, the ExpII are understated and fly under the radar, but those who know, know
I am just as comfortable wearing an ExpII while being in my office at a desk, meeting clients, traveling, flying, enjoying the outdoors, welding/fabricating, helping friend handle livestock at the farm, building construction, wrenching on cars or any other life activity. Blends right in whether in a suit for formal business presentation or knee-deep in a marsh dragging out freshly harvested buck!
216570 was my daily till I came across and bought a Y-serial 16570 - what an amazing watch! So much so, the 16570 hasn't come off my wrist since then!
To all fellow ExpII enthusiasts, wear it in good health and experiencing new adventures!
P.S. Looking for Polar 216570 and 16570 to complete the addiction
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ExpII Twins 2.jpg (99.3 KB, 1086 views)
File Type: jpg ExpII Twins.jpg (131.5 KB, 1070 views)
tirefryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2022, 04:19 AM   #2613
urbangentleman
"TRF" Member

Really nice to read this thread and see all the Explorer enthusiasts overhere.
I did not do the count, but it almost seems that most Explorer people own multiple editions of the Explorer range. Happy to share the passion for this model and I can share that I can count myself into this group of people too.

Got into higher-end watches at an early age when I got the golden Tissot from my grandfather. After this followed multiple watches and in the end I collected pieces from Omega, Tudor, IWC, Seiko, citizen etc… In all my time collecting wachtes I never looked at Rolex. Never gave them the appropriate appreciation. During this time I always felt that Rolex was for people that just cared for the brand name and we’re not into watches for the same reason I was…

But little I knew …. It was only until I started reading about the heritage of Rolex and the amazing story of Mt. Everest with the Rolex Explorer that I started to have a different opinion about the Brand and the watches. Slowly I started to learn more and got to appreciate the watches for what they were. 

Fast forward I decided that I wanted to add an Explorer 36mm or II to my collection and one day climb a proper mountain myself too. After this decision it took me still some time (few years) and multiple approaches to actually add my first Explorer.

The first hunt ended in not finding the watch at an AD or not having enough savings to actually purchase one… Slowly my taste evolved and I also started to appreciate the 36mm version. The 36mm was already out of production at that moment in time and it was the 39mm for sale at the AD. Could not find the right secondhand 36mm and once again stopped the search… It was after Rolex released the new and current 36mm version that I really went after it. E-mailed, texted and phoned several AD’s even considered buying grey. But then I randomly bumped into the watch at the Airport counter of Rolex and could not be happier, only a few weeks / months after its release. Actually was one of the first I believe that collected it.

So there my Rolex journey started, I was a bit underwhelmed by the size of the 36mm and it took me some weeks to appreciate it. Even considered flipping it for the profit and go for the Explorer II.. But you can guess what happend…. During this process the hunger for the Explorer II started and the love for the 36mm grew. So I did my best at the AD to go on the list for the 226570 with a black dial. For this 226570 I needed to wait for around 6 months and this appeared to be too long, because in the meantime I bought an 216570 Polar to keep the hopes for the 226570 up… So in not even 2 years time I added 3 Rolex explorers to my collection. The love for this Explorer is huge… Normally I bring my beater Citizen on holidays, but this year it was the brand Explorer II. Overall my appreciation for the Rolex watches has grown significantly and recently I added a Submariner to my collection too. The latest ref 124060 no date sub. 

For me the Rolex Explorers are representing true adventure lifestyle and they always give me a smile when I put them on the wrist.

Bonus: this year the even motivated me to climb and summit my first proper mountain in the French Alps.

So cheers to keep exploring and creating memories!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schermafbeelding 2022-09-01 om 20.05.50.jpg (127.0 KB, 1009 views)
File Type: jpg Mountain-1.jpg (134.0 KB, 997 views)
File Type: jpg Mountain-2.jpg (152.0 KB, 1008 views)
File Type: jpg Mountain-3.jpg (184.0 KB, 999 views)
urbangentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 04:21 PM   #2614
StillTrying
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, black
The Explorer II Enigma. Historical Thread

Nice write up Urbangentleman! I too love explorers and love to climb even more. Since owning my explorers I actually take one on all my summit attempts. Keep on climbing and exploring!
StillTrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 11:12 PM   #2615
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
I bought my 1st 16570 about 8 years ago. It was my grail ever since I got into watches probably 10 years prior. Unfortunately I was mugged of it in Buenos Aries about 2 years after I got it.
I took a break from watches about that time...but when my interest was rekindled (about 2 years ago), the 16570 was the 1st that I sought out.

I just had it serviced by RSC and was seriously contemplating selling it towards a 5 digit GMT master...but this thread convinced me otherwise! I still want the GMT master...but it will have to be through different means.
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 11:40 PM   #2616
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

I would never part with my ExpII. I've slipped a roulette date wheel in just for a little more bling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ExpII_1Oct2022.jpg (122.2 KB, 952 views)

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 01:41 PM   #2617
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillTrying View Post
The Enigma. The longer I have this watch the more passionate I feel about it.

It’s about to go up in the Sierra Nevada to do the John Muir Trail. (I will return to this thread with some pics)

Keep this tread alive!!!

Photos or it didn’t happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 04:35 PM   #2618
StillTrying
"TRF" Member

Ha! Good to call me out! I had my 16570 on trail for 16 days but only took one measly of it.
Old 16 October 2022, 06:30 AM   #2619
tjbva
"TRF" Member

Hello All - First post in the forum. I inherited a 1655 from my father that he wore practically every day. It seems to have been purchased around 1974 and is still in "good" condition. I have smaller wrists and tried to have the bracelet sized down, but was told that links could not be removed on this particular model of Oyster bracelet due to the way they are "riveted" together. I talked to one dealer that indicated that in later years a few of the links were more easily removed. Does anyone know if (a) this is true, and (b) what specific bracelet I would be looking for second hand?

Thanks in advance!
tjbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 08:53 AM   #2620
Redemption144
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
I found this gorgeous old USA oval link jubilee on ebay one night for 200 dollars BIN. It was offered by a pawn shop who wasn't up on antique jubilee values apparently. Great shape and a full 22 links, it went directly on my EXII.

I later replaced it with a more period D link jubilee and put the oval link on a '68 DJ.
Sorry for answering an old thread… I have the 16570 in both black and polar and love them.
Did you have a display caseback put on that Explorer II??
Redemption144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2022, 11:17 AM   #2621
Redemption144
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj3209 View Post
Lug holes make it easy to change out the bracelet but it sort of affects the way the watch looks.

No lug holes give the watch smoother lines but a PITA to change out the bracelet.

If you're not going to change out the bracelet, then the lug holes shouldn't be a problem.

Me, I didn't like the way the holes looked.
Well it took me about a week but I read all 88 pages of this thread. Super fun and enjoyable. Funny because I wonder if the EXII is still “underrated”? Doesn’t look like it from a price standpoint (new or grey market), but you just don’t see many in the wild. And I love that 😝
Back to this - HOW did you remove the cyclops 😳😳😳?? Looks really neat I must say!
Redemption144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2022, 11:23 AM   #2622
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II-16570
The prior owner had it done at a Rolex repair shop - https://www.rolliworks.com/. They just replaced the original sapphire crystal. I still have the original one with the cyclops.

CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption144 View Post
Well it took me about a week but I read all 88 pages of this thread. Super fun and enjoyable. Funny because I wonder if the EXII is still “underrated”? Doesn’t look like it from a price standpoint (new or grey market), but you just don’t see many in the wild. And I love that ��
Back to this - HOW did you remove the cyclops ������?? Looks really neat I must say!
cj3209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2022, 11:44 AM   #2623
grizzlymambo
"TRF" Member

Here's my opinion: I have had both the white and black Explorer 2, and I sold both. I bought both because I love the GMT functionality, but I found it annoying that the Explorer 2 teased the GMT functionality but you can't actually use it unless you're travelling.

Unlike a GMT watch with a rotating bezel, with a quick twist you can now play with the watch and find out the TZ in different places around the world, but with the Explorer 2, I had this functionality that teased me, but I would never use day-to-day.

I would rather have the Explorer 1, which I have. What I like about the Explorer 1 is that it has no date, so it has a whimsical nature to it. If I feel like it, I just pick it up and wear it - no date setting needed. If the Explorer 2 didn't have a date, it too would have this whimsical nature; but because it has a date AND a GMT function, now not only do I have to set the date before I leave the house, it's more of a pain in the butt to set it.

One of the funnest watches I've ever worn that has the "best of both worlds" is the Omega Seamaster Spectre. It has a 12 hour rotating bezel, jumping hours and no date. It is such a fun watch. I imagine if the Explorer 2 had no date, it too would be just as fun.
grizzlymambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2022, 03:34 PM   #2624
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post

One of the funnest watches I've ever worn that has the "best of both worlds" is the Omega Seamaster Spectre. It has a 12 hour rotating bezel, jumping hours and no date. It is such a fun watch. I imagine if the Explorer 2 had no date, it too would be just as fun.
Lack of functionality is not, in my mind, better. Curiously enough, the Spectre was on my wish list until I noticed it didn’t have a date — then it was off!

The gmt function on the EXPII works perfectly: you set it to gmt time and it reads gmt time — it’s purpose. The adjustable jumping hour hand is useful when you travel (as is the date). It sounds like what you need is an office gmt — which you can fiddle with. It’s not much use to travellers as the time needs to be reset as you travel and you lose the time keeping… but they’re more whimsical!

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Old 18 October 2022, 04:25 PM   #2625
grizzlymambo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
Lack of functionality is not, in my mind, better. Curiously enough, the Spectre was on my wish list until I noticed it didn’t have a date — then it was off!

The gmt function on the EXPII works perfectly: you set it to gmt time and it reads gmt time — it’s purpose. The adjustable jumping hour hand is useful when you travel (as is the date). It sounds like what you need is an office gmt — which you can fiddle with. It’s not much use to travellers as the time needs to be reset as you travel and you lose the time keeping… but they’re more whimsical!

I assume you mean "caller GMT", not "office GMT" - a complication I abhor because the GMT hand and date only rotate in one direction.

My use of the term "whimsical" is purely related to non-date watches, because you just pick them up and go. Something that the date makes it less ideal for, and even more so when you have jumping hours. Think beyond the date, it really isn't needed. As someone who needs to constantly be aware of the date at my job, I have proven that you don't need one on your watch. I think you have more problems on your hand if you can't remember the date after you check it on your phone the ONE TIME in the morning.
Old 18 October 2022, 11:19 PM   #2626
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
I just don't understand why it has such a limited (albeit loyal) following... I've got Bluesy on now, and while I love it, it's a lot heftier and less comfortable, at the end of the day...
Because it is not a hype watch. Despite what many say, they want their Rolex watches to be recognized. An Exp II looks like a lot of other watches.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 12:23 AM   #2627
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Love my Explorer II ... I might pick up some of the earlier ones, especially black dial 16570 with 3186 movement, which are relatively cheap by comparison to a similar GMT Master II.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 08:02 AM   #2628
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Just love these older threads.. the way the forum should be. Big Explorer I/II fan here as well :-)
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2022, 02:50 PM   #2629
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post
I assume you mean "caller GMT", not "office GMT" - a complication I abhor because the GMT hand and date only rotate in one direction.

My use of the term "whimsical" is purely related to non-date watches, because you just pick them up and go. Something that the date makes it less ideal for, and even more so when you have jumping hours. Think beyond the date, it really isn't needed. As someone who needs to constantly be aware of the date at my job, I have proven that you don't need one on your watch. I think you have more problems on your hand if you can't remember the date after you check it on your phone the ONE TIME in the morning.

You don’t need the date because you use it every day. I don’t use it everyday and I use the date function a lot because I don’t know the date from day to day. Certainly my phone has it, but it’s far easier to glance at my watch!

Yeah, ‘office’ and ‘caller’ gmt are the same — mostly because it was termed for people who ‘call’ from offices, as most people don’t call internationally from homes.

As a one watch guy, I don’t ever have the concept of ‘grabbing a watch’; mine is always on my wrist!

Old 19 October 2022, 04:46 PM   #2630
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Love my 216570 Polar. As a bonus, it's rather low profile and a kick ass tool watch.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 01:23 AM   #2631
Mazer
Banned

If I had it to do over again, I would choose either a white or a black face Explorer II over the GMT Master II, with a slight preference for the white face.

I think the public prefers the GMT Master II because the bezel seems more purposeful (although almost no one uses it for its intended purposes), and because of the GMT Master II's association with professional aviation and international travel.

Also, the name Explorer seems a little hokey and pretentious, whereas the name GMT Master suggests a mastery over time, which a watch should provide.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 01:44 AM   #2632
grizzlymambo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
You don’t need the date because you use it every day. I don’t use it everyday and I use the date function a lot because I don’t know the date from day to day. Certainly my phone has it, but it’s far easier to glance at my watch!

Yeah, ‘office’ and ‘caller’ gmt are the same — mostly because it was termed for people who ‘call’ from offices, as most people don’t call internationally from homes.

As a one watch guy, I don’t ever have the concept of ‘grabbing a watch’; mine is always on my wrist!

Ah. Yes, I begrudingly agree (begrudging, because I really really believe a date cutout window ruins the dial), that for the "one-watch" collector, a date is nice. I used to be a date watch guy for most of my collecting history, but for the last 3 years I switched to preferring no-date as my collection grew and the focus was on beauty/history/emotion and less on function.

As someone who started the hobby wearing 1 watch for months at a time, I remember that having the date was nice and a non-issue.
Old 10 December 2022, 03:53 PM   #2633
BMess
"TRF" Member

Bumping this thread. I love the polar dial in the winter. Let’s see some winter themed polar pictures!
Old 10 December 2022, 06:18 PM   #2634
StillTrying
"TRF" Member

Best profile in the game.
Old 12 December 2022, 06:25 AM   #2635
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

Probably said this before but I'll say it again
Bought mine new in 1994 but didn't like the bracelet so had Rolex swap it out for the jubilee. They said they'd confirm with Rolex service centre in Bromley Kent as the case needed machining as it wasn't a straight swap(as I assumed it would be)
No extra charge and I've had it ever since and wear frequently. Here it is back in 2015
(If the link works)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cjHHuUDtKWLwZJdi9
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 09:11 AM   #2636
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 06:32 AM   #2637
tirefryer
"TRF" Member

Watch: One on my wrist
Well, if this wasn't enough, my AD text me to get over to the store ASAP. Glad I did, as he opened up a full kit (original papers, box, booklet) 1987 Ref: 16550 ExpII with black, rail dial, barely visible spider-webbing, warm and creamy markers, correct bracelet/endlinks and open 6/9 date wheel. It's been worn but cared for and in great condition (does not show any signs of being polished). Now, the 16570 which bumped my 216570 off of my wrist just got bumped!

Anyone have a 1655 so I can complete my ExpII collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirefryer View Post
To me, the ExpII are understated and fly under the radar, but those who know, know
I am just as comfortable wearing an ExpII while being in my office at a desk, meeting clients, traveling, flying, enjoying the outdoors, welding/fabricating, helping friend handle livestock at the farm, building construction, wrenching on cars or any other life activity. Blends right in whether in a suit for formal business presentation or knee-deep in a marsh dragging out freshly harvested buck!
216570 was my daily till I came across and bought a Y-serial 16570 - what an amazing watch! So much so, the 16570 hasn't come off my wrist since then!
To all fellow ExpII enthusiasts, wear it in good health and experiencing new adventures!
P.S. Looking for Polar 216570 and 16570 to complete the addiction
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2433.jpg (158.0 KB, 511 views)
tirefryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 05:44 PM   #2638
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

The orange in my tartan looks grand with the orange hand on the Exp II — surprisingly hard to capture, though.

Old 5 March 2023, 06:41 AM   #2639
BMess
"TRF" Member

Bump
Old 25 March 2023, 09:02 AM   #2640
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillTrying View Post
Ha! Good to call me out! I had my 16570 on trail for 16 days but only took one measly of it.
Nice! I am jealous -- I love it there. I am particularly envious of the snow there just recently!