The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 May 2008, 05:15 AM   #91
mopsey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp2,BlkBy,SD
Thanks Skippy. Hadn't found that site.
I may have a way to get a BNIB from an AD well below MRRP. Might have to wait a while for it to happen though but if i can save £1000 i'm happy to wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
There are a few around on Chrono24 in the UK Martin, for what seem to be desent prices compared to the market over here in the Netherlands.
Also threw grey dealers I've seen amazing bargains on brand new european delivered ones. I don't know if I like the latest models with the RolexRolex ring though but in real live it's probably less obvious then in pictures.
Old 26 May 2008, 05:16 AM   #92
mopsey
"TRF" Member

Love the avitar, Jordan. Does it mean you love your rolex more than your Mrs!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordancwlu View Post
I'd argue that the Turn-O-graph by far gets the least attention from TRFers. I love my Expy II and it's the watch that turned me on to Rolex.
Old 26 May 2008, 05:44 AM   #93
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopsey View Post
Love the avitar, Jordan. Does it mean you love your rolex more than your Mrs!!!

I'm continuing to enjoy this thread!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 06:30 AM   #94
Skippy

Quote:
Thanks Skippy. Hadn't found that site.
I may have a way to get a BNIB from an AD well below MRRP. Might have to wait a while for it to happen though but if i can save £1000 i'm happy to wait.
If you can I would defenitly go the new route. I have seen brand new ones for les then 3300 euro's(about 2600 pounds if my currency converter is correct) over here.
I bought a 2005 used one and this is also my first and only Rolex at the moment. Do have a couple of other nice watches though of witch the Tag Heuer S/el chronometer and Link chronometer are my favorites.
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 06:44 AM   #95
mopsey
"TRF" Member

MRRP is now £3040.00 here so if i can't one down the route i'd like i may be taking a trip on the eurostar!!
Old 26 May 2008, 08:25 PM   #96
Jazz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 116610LN
Quote:
............."It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have
set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory." Bill Nicholson............................
The main man, himself. We had the pleasure of living next door to him for many, many years (not kidding!) and found him to be an extremely charming, charismatic, approachable man with extraordinary integrity. He also loved his Gin and Tonic.

Rolex OP 116300 Datejust II - Random
Rolex OP 116610LN Sub C - V series
Rolex OP 116200 SS DateJust Z series - lost/stolen
Rolex OP 16613 TT 'Bluesy' M series
Rolex OP 16600 SS Sea-Dweller M series
Rolex OP 116523 TT Cosmograph Daytona Z series
Rolex OP 16610 SS Submariner Date Z series - lost/stolen
Santos de Cartier TT 2004 silver dial (Limited Edition)
Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 02:39 AM   #97
jmsrolls
Banned

Thanks for starting this thread, David, and for all the comments, guys.

For 20+ years, I was a pleased to be a Rolex owner and left the fold some six years ago.

Recently I decided that the GMT I in my collection was not really meeting my needs so began to look around. I wanted something to track two timezones (not three) with a classic look to wear with jeans or suit (or in my case, black shirt/white collar).

The Explorer II seems to be the watch I am looking for. At first I wanted the white dial and then I saw the black and white side-by-side - black wins, hands down. More classic, more stealth.

So I've made my decision but still have two problems. The first is finding two black M/3186s in stock anywhere. (Yes, two as a friend wants one as well.) Secondly, I have never paid MSRP for any watch and finding a deal, even on two, has been difficult.

But regardless, I'm in no hurry and things have a way of working out.

Thanks again for a great thread.

Fr. John+
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 12:45 AM   #98
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post

For 20+ years, I was a pleased to be a Rolex owner and left the fold some six years ago.

Recently I decided that the GMT I in my collection was not really meeting my needs so began to look around. I wanted something to track two timezones (not three) with a classic look to wear with jeans or suit (or in my case, black shirt/white collar).

The Explorer II seems to be the watch I am looking for. At first I wanted the white dial and then I saw the black and white side-by-side - black wins, hands down. More classic, more stealth.

So I've made my decision but still have two problems. The first is finding two black M/3186s in stock anywhere. (Yes, two as a friend wants one as well.) Secondly, I have never paid MSRP for any watch and finding a deal, even on two, has been difficult.

Fr. John+

Hi again, Father John,

Thank you for the kind words, both here and in the PM. Congratulations on your inbound Noir Explorer II! This watch is the perfect sports Rolex for your usual attire, and will dress up and down and still look great with everything from your "off duty" street clothes, to your daily black/white, even Easter/Wedding robes. I agree that the black dial is particularly appropriate for you, and happy that you were able to source a good price, as this is a major purchase for a man of modest means.

I'm thrilled that my discussions helped you make a good decision, and if you're ever in St Paul, we'll have to get together. We have a pretty nice cathedral up here that you should see!
http://www.cathedralsaintpaul.org/

May the Lord be with you,
David
Old 30 May 2008, 01:34 AM   #99
Skippy

Quote:

Fr. John+
Good choice to go for the Explorer II You are talking about the M series with the 3186 movement but is this actualy a confirmed fact as Rolex(as always) still denies they put these movements in the Explorer II. I do know that at least a number of GMT have been confirmed to use the newer 3186 movement but I'm still not clear on the Ex II. Proof of this fact is greatly apreciated. Still if the movement is just the good old 3185 it's still the right choice.
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 01:43 AM   #100
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Welcome to TRF Fr. John.

The Exp II is a very respectible choice and the one I usually travel with if the journey has any adventure planned at all.

That, and I think it has some great, classic, and timeless lines:

Last edited by Tools; 19 January 2020 at 12:50 PM..
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 02:44 AM   #101
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post

May the Lord be with you,
David
And also with you!

AMDG,

Fr. John+

BTW, by His grace and mercy (and FedEx), the new timepiece should be on my wrist tomorrow.
Old 30 May 2008, 02:51 AM   #102
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Good choice to go for the Explorer II You are talking about the M series with the 3186 movement but is this actualy a confirmed fact as Rolex(as always) still denies they put these movements in the Explorer II. I do know that at least a number of GMT have been confirmed to use the newer 3186 movement but I'm still not clear on the Ex II. Proof of this fact is greatly apreciated. Still if the movement is just the good old 3185 it's still the right choice.
I am happy to report the presence of 3186 movements in both watches has been confirms by physical inspection. The seller would not ship until he himself was satisfied.

Fr. John+
Old 30 May 2008, 03:04 AM   #103
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Thats interesting, and worth "exploring" a bit: Any pictures of the Explorers with calibre 3186 (the calibre itself in the case)? Do you mind giving us the first numbers of the M-serial. I assume M01..to M04...

Best, and congratulations on a nice choice,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 03:27 AM   #104
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And also with you!

AMDG,

Fr. John+

BTW, by His grace and mercy (and FedEx), the new timepiece should be on my wrist tomorrow.
This means that we can expect photos tomorrow?
Old 30 May 2008, 04:17 AM   #105
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
This means that we can expect photos tomorrow?
Hey, you've seen one, you've seen them all. Right?

Maybe I'll get a shot of him meeting the rest of the family. They may not be happy since two of their buddies had to leave make room for this one.

Fr. John+
Old 30 May 2008, 04:39 AM   #106
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acce1999 View Post
Thats interesting, and worth "exploring" a bit: Any pictures of the Explorers with calibre 3186 (the calibre itself in the case)? Do you mind giving us the first numbers of the M-serial. I assume M01..to M04...

Best, and congratulations on a nice choice,

A
I'll let you know the number when it arrives tomorrow. I will not have any movement photos and have to take the seller's word until I can get it to my watchmaker. I will perform the "wiggle test" for whatever that is worth.

It was very frustrating trying to find two black M/3186 EXPIIs. Most dealers had no clue as to the 3186 and could not understand why I was so insistent as to the movement. I kept hearing "The Z is the current model with the latest movement." "They look just alike."

The watchmaker at one AD came out and tried to convince me to buy the Z/3185 out of the case. "The 3186 is a new movement and you should never buy a new movement until it has been out for at least five years", the watchmaker told me. This was after he said that it would be 2-3 years before Rolex put the 3186 in the Explorer II.

Fr. John+
Old 30 May 2008, 04:54 AM   #107
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'll let you know the number when it arrives tomorrow. I will not have any movement photos and have to take the seller's word until I can get it to my watchmaker. I will perform the "wiggle test" for whatever that is worth.

It was very frustrating trying to find two black M/3186 EXPIIs. Most dealers had no clue as to the 3186 and could not understand why I was so insistent as to the movement. I kept hearing "The Z is the current model with the latest movement." "They look just alike."

The watchmaker at one AD came out and tried to convince me to buy the Z/3185 out of the case. "The 3186 is a new movement and you should never buy a new movement until it has been out for at least five years", the watchmaker told me. This was after he said that it would be 2-3 years before Rolex put the 3186 in the Explorer II.

Fr. John+
Great, looking forward to more info from you. I am myself an owner of an M01-serial Explorer 16570 purchased this year, and according to the watchmaker where I bought it it is most problably equipped with the 3186. I have not opened the case though, since it would not make me sell my watch anyway (if it has the 3185). Still I am also collecting information, so I am eager to see the first Ex 16570 with a 3186 popped open.

According to all info I have (from several Rolex watchmakers) the 16570 have been delivered since late 2007 with calibre 3186. I have specifically spoken to the watchmakers at the AD:s, not the sales persons about the calibre.

Looking forward to see your watch. And if you pop it open remember to bring a camera to verify not only the proper case, but also pictures of the movement including designation (3186).

Until then, here is mine: (Perhaps I shall open mine anyway...)

Best,

A

Last edited by Tools; 19 January 2020 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: corrupted image
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 05:01 AM   #108
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Great thread. After being back with my rolices for the last six weeks, and switching frequently between my Sub and Expy-II, I definitely prefer the feel of the Expy-II. In fact, I dare say that I prefer the Expy-II overall to the Sub. The Expy is very comfortable and light--a marked difference from the Sub. I also appreciate the 24-hour hand. Overall, I prefer the black dial on a Rolex, and I love the contrast between the WG markers and the inky-black dial.

I had the Sub first, and when I bought the Expy my intent was for the Expy to be my casual-to-dressy watch, and the Sub to be my beater (so to speak) for all activities from working out to water activities, etc. And, since I spend a lot of time doing those things, I end up wearing the Sub more. However, I much prefer the feel of the Expy, and I believe it is rugged enough for any challenge.

If I were to recommend a model for the person who will have only one watch: Black-dial Expy-II.

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 05:32 AM   #109
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post
Great thread. After being back with my rolices for the last six weeks, and switching frequently between my Sub and Expy-II, I definitely prefer the feel of the Expy-II. In fact, I dare say that I prefer the Expy-II overall to the Sub. The Expy is very comfortable and light--a marked difference from the Sub. I also appreciate the 24-hour hand. Overall, I prefer the black dial on a Rolex, and I love the contrast between the WG markers and the inky-black dial.

I had the Sub first, and when I bought the Expy my intent was for the Expy to be my casual-to-dressy watch, and the Sub to be my beater (so to speak) for all activities from working out to water activities, etc. And, since I spend a lot of time doing those things, I end up wearing the Sub more. However, I much prefer the feel of the Expy, and I believe it is rugged enough for any challenge.

If I were to recommend a model for the person who will have only one watch: Black-dial Expy-II.
Hiya Kevin - welcome home! I wasn wondering where you disappeared to. Glad the rest of your deployment was safe and you have finally arrived Stateside. Hopefully we'll be seeing more of you now?

Nice post on the Expy2, and glad you're enjoying yourse! I agree that this would be a great "only watch" for a great many people, if they only knew about it and appreciated it!
Old 30 May 2008, 05:36 AM   #110
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Quote:
Hiya Kevin - welcome home! I wasn wondering where you disappeared to. Glad the rest of your deployment was safe and you have finally arrived Stateside. Hopefully we'll be seeing more of you now?

Nice post on the Expy2, and glad you're enjoying yourse! I agree that this would be a great "only watch" for a great many people, if they only knew about it and appreciated it!
David, I think you have a classic Rollie collection: Bluesy and black-dial Expy-II. If I were to ever overhaul my collection, I could very well go that way. The Black-dial Expy for sports occasions, Bluesy for everyday wear and at the office, and maybe a Patek for really special occasions.

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 05:40 AM   #111
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post
David, I think you have a classic Rollie collection: Bluesy and black-dial Expy-II. If I were to ever overhaul my collection, I could very well go that way. The Black-dial Expy for sports occasions, Bluesy for everyday wear and at the office, and maybe a Patek for really special occasions.
Hey, thanks for the kind words! Yes, I agree that it's a versatile pair, and hopefully a PP or DD will round it out nicely some day! I also like the RG TT DJ!
Old 30 May 2008, 06:02 AM   #112
Solar
"TRF" Member

Watch: their hands, baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evy411nia View Post
I love my Expy II not only for the looks but for the comfort. I will sometimes slip it on for a moment after taking off my SD that I've been wearing all day...just to feel the difference. Without a doubt the most comfortable of the sport models. I love the slope of the bezel and although I'm not a fan of the magnifier, It looks better IMO over a white dial.
I love my Sea Dweller, but its a heavier watch no doubt, and I can see why an Exp II would be so valued. Two time zones, solid bezel, great functionality. I personally went with the GMT II in March 2007 for those reasons, but I considered the Exp II and I still think its one of those underappreciated Rolexes that is on the backburner until a remodelling comes along then suddenly there's a stampede to the AD to get the new larger-diameter, cermic-infused model......

C
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 06:25 AM   #113
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
I love my Sea Dweller, but its a heavier watch no doubt, and I can see why an Exp II would be so valued. Two time zones, solid bezel, great functionality. I personally went with the GMT II in March 2007 for those reasons, but I considered the Exp II and I still think its one of those underappreciated Rolexes that is on the backburner until a remodelling comes along then suddenly there's a stampede to the AD to get the new larger-diameter, cermic-infused model......

C
... followed 6-months later by a stampede to the AD to get the last of the 16570's!
Old 30 May 2008, 07:11 AM   #114
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
And they look good dressed for any ocassion:

Last edited by Tools; 19 January 2020 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: corrupted image
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 07:36 AM   #115
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
I received a black dial Ex II as a gift after many, many years of wearing my original Submariner. It was my second Rolex and I never liked it. It just looked like my Sub's little brother, with an itty bitty crown and no rotating bezel. I could not get used to it, so I eventually traded it almost even up on a lightly used TT Blue Sub.

Fast forward a few years. I acquired a new white dial Ex II and I absolutely love it. It is, by far, the most legible of my Rolex watches (almost matched by my Speedy, but not quite). It is practical, light and hardly noticeable. I actually like the fact that it does not scream "ROLEX!" and it goes practically unnoticed. I wore it on my motorcycle tour around Iceland, and it was fantastic. When I travel across time zones, it usually gets the nod, and especially if I don't have to time things (like flight duration and billable hours). If I do have to time things, I reluctantly choose my GMT-II instead, but I prefer the Ex II.

I also have a vintage Explorer, but I hardly wear it. Too small.

Last edited by Tools; 19 January 2020 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: corrupted image
Subfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 08:13 AM   #116
samkalter1@comcast.n
"TRF" Member

they are similar(GMTII non ceramic & Explorer II)

The movement(cal. 3185),crown,crystal,and much more are the same.Because the GMT has a rotating bezel there is an(unseen)"under- bezel"that contacts the crystal washer for seating,and there is some extra hardware:bezel tension spring and a clicking spring to help it rotate in a controlled fashion.The ExplorerII bezel fixes like most Rolex's-directly to the crystal's washer(seat)with strong friction.
samkalter1@comcast.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 08:15 AM   #117
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkalter1@comcast.n View Post
The movement(cal. 3185),crown,crystal,and much more are the same.Because the GMT has a rotating bezel there is an(unseen)"under- bezel"that contacts the crystal washer for seating,and there is some extra hardware:bezel tension spring and a clicking spring to help it rotate in a controlled fashion.The ExplorerII bezel fixes like most Rolex's-directly to the crystal's washer(seat)with strong friction.
Hi Sam,

Welcome to TRF! Is that pic of you? Are you a watchmaker?

Great first post.
Old 30 May 2008, 12:42 PM   #118
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc View Post
Love that vintage explorer
50 years old this month!
Old 30 May 2008, 01:15 PM   #119
ral

Quote:
When I travel across time zones, it usually gets the nod, and especially if I don't have to time things (like flight duration and billable hours)
Timing billable hours... never taught of that. Maybe I should get myself one of those. Hhhmmm.

Do you round the hours up or down :)

Last edited by ral; 30 May 2008 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: add
ral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 02:16 PM   #120
samkalter1@comcast.n
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Sam,

Welcome to TRF! Is that pic of you? Are you a watchmaker?

Great first post.
Yes,I'm a third generation watchmaker in Philadelphia...and Rolex Service account-holder;'still can learn alot here.
samkalter1@comcast.n is offline   Reply With Quote