The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 February 2009, 11:18 AM   #31
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGio Greece View Post
I like to see Patek photos. And VC and A. Lange, and....

I would never give that much money for a watch, though I am a watch freak.

And both Patek and VC and the rest cannot do what Rolexes do. So, I will stick with a couple of SS Rolexes, not even TT, and feel free to dive them, bang them, wear them daily without being afraid of them going "Kaput"
That's because Rolex is a TOP WATCH in it's own league whereas PATEK is a top watch in a different league

Both companies have a completely different aspect and approach when manufacturing and designing their watches

Pateks are NOT designed for Noth Pole expeditions, diving etc.

Here are the official words from Patek ( Original post made by Daveathall )

Quote:
“Where we do innovate is in the details. Where
others stop we start,” adds Philippe Stern and goes
on to explain their remarkable modus operandi.
“We don’t work to marketing briefs and don’t set a
price as a criteria for a new model. This means that
we can keep refining details where others would
have to stop because they have a price to respect.”
This helps to explain the almost insane devotion
to details that mark these watches.
Basically Philippe Stern is letting us know that Patek Philippe is NOT controlled by accountants

Which makes me wonder which watch company is currently controlled by a bunch of accountants ?

Rolex and Patek are like comparing an S Class to a Maybach ( actually the maybach brand is owned by mercedes, but there are some rather huge differences if you get inside an S class and compare it's interior to a Maybach )

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2009, 06:19 AM   #32
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Some very good commonsense replies, has been written here.
Bruno, I have to say that imo the 5002 has been replaced by the 5207P as my grail watch.
Old 23 February 2009, 06:21 AM   #33
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
I agree with Tony.

I have to, I'm his butler.
Thanks Paul,
there will be an extra something in your pay pack this week.
Old 24 February 2009, 06:21 PM   #34
FastBurner

Watch: Aquanaut/AK/PAM000
Well, it's an interesting question thats been posed here. Luxury watch owners I've met really only fall into two categories. Successful people who enjoy fine things or are looking for status symbols, and watch enthusiats/collectors. And sometimes a little of both! I'm sure there are a lot of Patek owners who fall into the first category, but if these boards are any indication, there are a lot of people like me who fall into the second category.

As for me, I'm just a hard working guy who enjoys watches. I'm not rich by any standard, but I sacrifice other things to pursue my passion. In fact, I don't own a vehicle, and instead ride a Vespa to work to save money!

For those interested, I am in the US military(enlisted). You can see what they pay us anytime you want online. It aint rock star money, I can tell you that! But I paid cash for my Patek, because I live within my means, and save my money. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents!
FastBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 12:55 AM   #35
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGio Greece View Post
I like to see Patek photos. And VC and A. Lange, and....

And both Patek and VC and the rest cannot do what Rolexes do.
Not so fast. Spend some time on the Patek and VC forums and you'll find owners who mountain bike with their Nautilus, climb mountains with their Overseas, and scuba dive with their Aquanaut....no problems.

P.S. - Many Patek watches can be had for less than a gold Daytona.
Old 25 February 2009, 12:58 AM   #36
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
Not so fast. Spend some time on the Patek and VC forums and you'll find owners who mountain bike with their Nautilus, climb mountains with their Overseas, and scuba dive with their Aquanaut....no problems.

Very true!

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 08:50 AM   #37
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 09:01 AM   #38
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseskew24 View Post
I dident realise that rolex oweners where rich.. I guess i better get rid of all my watches.. I guess i really cant afford them:(
Absolutely. If you look in the for sale section there is a seller that states this clearly. He does not want any offers that are one penny below his asking price. He states that there are plenty of rich people left in the world and, to not use the recession as a reason to offer him one cent below his asking price. Needless to say he has been very successful in keeping his watches. Maybe that was the point to begin with; alienate potential buyers and you are assured of one thing, keeping your merchandise.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 09:05 AM   #39
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Newton View Post
Absolutely. If you look in the for sale section there is a seller that states this clearly. He does not want any offers that are one penny below his asking price. He states that there are plenty of rich people left in the world and, to not use the recession as a reason to offer him one cent below his asking price. Needless to say he has been very successful in keeping his watches. Maybe that was the point to begin with; alienate potential buyers and you are assured of one thing, keeping your merchandise.

Terry Newton
Wow - I should try that sales technique

been told I am too friendly

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 25 February 2009, 09:10 AM   #40
Ewoodcorp
Banned

Watch: Audemars Piguet
This whole time I was thinking that Audemars Piguet was the top of the watch ladder. I didn't think that Patek was.
Ewoodcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 11:16 AM   #41
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewoodcorp View Post
This whole time I was thinking that Audemars Piguet was the top of the watch ladder. I didn't think that Patek was.
Pretty impossible to pin the rose on any brand. The BIG Three are: PP, AP and VC.
Some say Lange is closing. Others will say the boutique brands blow them all away, but in terms of heritage it's the Big Three for most people.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 11:53 AM   #42
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Pretty impossible to pin the rose on any brand. The BIG Three are: PP, AP and VC.
Some say Lange is closing. Others will say the boutique brands blow them all away, but in terms of heritage it's the Big Three for most people.
With all due respect, I have to add Breguet to the Big Three, making it a Big Four. It meets the criteria of deep heritage, in-house movements, exclusive and small distribution, and uber-complications. Not to mention, in my recent experience, Breguet almost across the board (with the exception of Type XX) has seen minimal discounts, less than many other brands, meaning it holds excellent value.

Old 25 February 2009, 12:09 PM   #43
mretzloff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
Rolex isn't for rich people. Any Joe-schmoe can afford one.

"M" 16610 Submariner
"M" 16570w Explorer II
mretzloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 12:11 PM   #44
mretzloff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
Quote:
By boutique brands, are you talking about Harry Winston and the like? What makes them so great (I'm asking this out of curiosity, not to make fun)?

"M" 16610 Submariner
"M" 16570w Explorer II
mretzloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 12:12 PM   #45
i2onnel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Numerous
I still like the look of Rolex > Patek.
Old 25 February 2009, 01:24 PM   #46
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mretzloff View Post
By boutique brands, are you talking about Harry Winston and the like? What makes them so great (I'm asking this out of curiosity, not to make fun)?
Well, I'm not saying I agree, I'm just saying that the primo watch designers and makers that have split from the big houses and started up their own shops make some pretty good pieces and I'm CERTAINTY not talking Harry Winston. Read Revolution from time-to-time.

And sorry, it 's not me that made up the "Big Three" and excluded Breguet. They just don't make the cut. Neither are ten other great watch makers. I own no watches from the Big Three at this time aside from a VC OS which isn't so special, so I'm not pulling up the rope behind me.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 01:29 PM   #47
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:

Terry Newton
It was precisely because of that one post that I decided to suspend and maybe indefinitely cease my hunger for a Sea Dweller.

I thank that person who posted that for saving me a ton of money that will now be more wisely spent on other toys and a few trips abroad!

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 01:39 PM   #48
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mretzloff View Post
Rolex isn't for rich people. Any Joe-schmoe can afford one.
i'm living proof of your assertion.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 02:02 PM   #49
iwantagmt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
I think by boutique he was referring to Dufour, Kari Voutilainen, FP Journe, Antione Prezuiso, Romain Gauthier, etc.

As great as the Big 5 (including lange and breguet) are I believe that most work from the mentioned independents does exceed what is offered by the big 5. The Dufour simplicity, the KV masterpiece chrono, and the Prezuiso triple resonance/tourbillion speak for themselves.
iwantagmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 02:07 PM   #50
Jedi
"TRF" Member

And oh, I have a couple of Pateks, and yeah, I'm rich, rolling in it as a matter of fact, but struggling to pay bills and build a home

Priorities my friends!!

Flickr
Blog
Old 25 February 2009, 02:40 PM   #51
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
Quote:

Terry Newton
I saw some of those ads from that seller and wondered about his "sales techniques". Glad I'm not the only one who felt oddly ashamed and admonished just for reading a FS post!
Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 02:51 PM   #52
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And sorry, it 's not me that made up the "Big Three" and excluded Breguet. They just don't make the cut. Neither are ten other great watch makers. I own no watches from the Big Three at this time aside from a VC OS which isn't so special, so I'm not pulling up the rope behind me.
I would be curious to see your source for the 'Big Three'. As long as I have been collecting watches (since 2nd grade, so I even have Kyle beat ) I knew of the four brands that represent the pinnacle of watchmaking. Whose 'cut' are they not making? Please remember, I am not attacking, I just want to be educated.

Abraham Louis Breguet is considered one of the fathers of watchmaking - the list of clients will make your head spin. Since 1775 it was THE brand for the royalty and celebrities alike. I am just befuddled at the omission. Please illuminate me.

Old 25 February 2009, 02:52 PM   #53
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clew84 View Post
I saw some of those ads from that seller and wondered about his "sales techniques". Glad I'm not the only one who felt oddly ashamed and admonished just for reading a FS post!
Who is the seller?

Old 25 February 2009, 02:59 PM   #54
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
I would be curious to see your source for the 'Big Three'. As long as I have been collecting watches (since 2nd grade, so I even have Kyle beat ) I knew of the four brands that represent the pinnacle of watchmaking. Whose 'cut' are they not making? Please remember, I am not attacking, I just want to be educated.

Abraham Louis Breguet is considered one of the fathers of watchmaking - the list of clients will make your head spin. Since 1775 it was THE brand for the royalty and celebrities alike. I am just befuddled at the omission. Please illuminate me.
Yes, Breguet the man was great. He did loads of cool stuff like invent the tourbillon, but he was just a watchmaker and loads of his watches made for clients were not even signed.

The company that continued after his death eventually went under, even before the quartz crisis. The brand was only 'revived' and 'reinvented' by the SWATCH people recently. They do not have a continuous history and continuity like say Patek, VC and AP. Personally, I think JLC should be up there, but it's all about splitting hairs. If the Big Three is to be used as a classification within this hobby, then one has to accept the conventional definition of what constitutes the Big Three.

Harry Winston jumped on the watch bandwagon by contracting designers and watchmakers to collaborate with them and do not have a 'house' style of philosophy when it comes to watchmaking. F.P. Journe is but one notable individual with his own brand that did something funky for Harry Winston a short while back.

Flickr
Blog
Old 25 February 2009, 03:00 PM   #55
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Who is the seller?
Here's a link:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=67951
Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 03:17 PM   #56
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Quote:
They are so shamelessly overpriced that it is laughable. Someone must have not clued somebody in to the Dale Carnegie Course on selling techniques.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2009, 03:22 PM   #57
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bwahahahahahaha! What a

I guess he is running 'coyote ugly' of selling - maybe if he insults the customer enough, they'll buy!

"So pls dun use the excuse of recession to lowball.
If you don’t have enough $, pls refrain from making any offer & move on."

I think he could have just left out all the other stuff and said 'move on'. Captain Friendly over there

Old 25 February 2009, 03:27 PM   #58
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Yes, Breguet the man was great. He did loads of cool stuff like invent the tourbillon, but he was just a watchmaker and loads of his watches made for clients were not even signed.

The company that continued after his death eventually went under, even before the quartz crisis. The brand was only 'revived' and 'reinvented' by the SWATCH people recently. They do not have a continuous history and continuity like say Patek, VC and AP. Personally, I think JLC should be up there, but it's all about splitting hairs. If the Big Three is to be used as a classification within this hobby, then one has to accept the conventional definition of what constitutes the Big Three.

Harry Winston jumped on the watch bandwagon by contracting designers and watchmakers to collaborate with them and do not have a 'house' style of philosophy when it comes to watchmaking. F.P. Journe is but one notable individual with his own brand that did something funky for Harry Winston a short while back.
But wait.... Only Patek has continuous history, as both VC and AP had to be revived from the quartz revolution by the larger groups. Breguet never closed its doors, just became much smaller as a company, continuing making watches. And it was not re-invented, as many of the original calibers remained, but were simply improved. But what the hell - let's agree to disagree

And I totally agree with you about JLC.

Old 25 February 2009, 05:11 PM   #59
Jedi
"TRF" Member

VC and AP never closed their doors, they were simply swallowed up by Richemont, but that in itself is part of the history of the brands no?...

On the Breguet issue, it's more contentious, depending on which source one takes information from, but I am inclined towards the bit about them needing a wholesale revival, which is different from being bought over.

Flickr
Blog
Old 26 February 2009, 01:46 AM   #60
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
VC and AP never closed their doors, they were simply swallowed up by Richemont, but that in itself is part of the history of the brands no?...
AP is still independent.

And as you say, VC no more closed their doors than did Breguet, which is also part of a larger (Swatch) group.