The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 December 2015, 09:31 AM   #1
denvercenturion
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Buying in Europe v Trusted Seller

Hello all i've been researching buying an AP for some time now and am trying to figure out whether or not to pick one up from a trusted seller or wait until I travel to Europe to pick one up. Since the Euro and Dollar are trading close it seems like there is a shot that you could go to Europe and pick up a brand new AP RO from close to the same you could get a used or BNIB from a trusted seller here? Anyone have any experience or know of pricing and discounts available in europe?

Side note: I searched the forum for this subject and did not see anything so if this has been answered before I apologize for making a redundant post.
denvercenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
im wondering the same thing. Does the AD in Europe increase the prices as the euro drops?

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 10:11 AM   #3
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Easy enough to diligence. Call ADs in Europe where you will be traveling, research the process for a VAT refund and then compare.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 10:28 AM   #4
psv
"TRF" Member

Depends if you want to wait. I was watch shopping in Europe earlier this summer and with a decent rebate and then getting the tax free there definitely were some saving to be had.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 10:30 AM   #5
denvercenturion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Depends if you want to wait. I was watch shopping in Europe earlier this summer and with a decent rebate and then getting the tax free there definitely were some saving to be had.
Ultimately I am in the position where I am anticipating a watch for this next year, and I have a trip to Europe planned so waiting is not an issue. And having bought an Omega this summer in Europe the tax rebate alone can be enough of a savings, just wasn't sure how the pricing was in Europe or if anyone had experience AP.
Old 9 December 2015, 02:12 PM   #6
psv
"TRF" Member

It depends on where you are going in Europe. Ideally you would plan ahead, contact some ADs and let them know you are coming. Select one that is willing to work with you. Some actually give 100% of the tax rebate back, others give 17% out of 25% VAT, etc. When you are talking those sums it is worth doing a bit of homework and legwork. I was offered a DSSD that after favorable exchange rate, VAT refunds, a bit of discount would have come to $8,800, which has a MSRP in the US of $12,050 and a grey market price of $9,600-$10,000. Pretty good savings in my book. And it wouldn't be "gray", I would have had a receipt to show Rolex USA in case it needed service.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 11:35 PM   #7
alexander34
"TRF" Member

Not much discount at the boutique in Rome, Italy..... 1000Eur on list-price on the 44mm rosegold offshore. But with tax-refund it could me sweet ;-)

Regards

Alexander

Rolex: 116718LN GN, 116600, 116200
Patek: 5711
AP: hoping ;-)
alexander34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2015, 12:48 AM   #8
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
no discount in EU when i bought mine

yes prices are increased with weak currencies but takes time, not done as soon as the currency drops
Old 10 December 2015, 12:59 AM   #9
denvercenturion
"TRF" Member

Good to know alexander34 and beer, appreciate it!
Old 10 December 2015, 08:05 AM   #10
dera
"TRF" Member

Boutiques usually don't give discounts, ADs do, even with AP. Usually best country to buy is the one with the highest VAT, and best AD to buy is the one that doesn't use Global Blue and other ripoffs for the VAT return. There is zero reason for an AD NOT to give you 100% of the VAT back with you handling the customs paperwork, and that paperwork could no be any easier.
EUR prices don't fluctuate often, once or twice a year if that, CHF/EUR fx rate is what matters on them. When EUR is weak, it impacts ADs profits not the retail price.
dera is offline   Reply With Quote