The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 March 2021, 08:17 PM   #1
GS93108
"TRF" Member

ROO 43mm replaces 44mm?

So, is the 43mm a replacement for the 44mm line, or a new middle sized line all of its own?

I’ve heard rumors that the 43mm replaces the 44mm, that would make sense given the integration and migration to the Code movements. But what about other 44mm ROOs that don’t have a direct Code movement alternative? Grand Comps for example.

My guess is that the 44mm will still see a few ‘special editions’ or limited production pieces coming for a while, but eventually it will be fully retired.

Maybe the 44mm has already seen its last model...I wonder how that will impact the secondary markets...
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 10:43 PM   #2
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
there is no point to keep 42, 43 and 44mm, i think the 42 and 44 will come to an end.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 11:05 PM   #3
Reign
"TRF" Member

I’d been thinking about that as well.

I suspect grand comps will get new movements to fit the case. The new 43s are supposed to have a more ergonomic feel based on the blog descriptions (curved bezels and sapphire) but I haven’t seen a worthy side profile shot to make that judgement. If it’s anything like the Concepts, it’ll be a total winner.

My guess is that the 42s and 44s are on their way out if the 43 can achieve the mentioned ergonomics since it doesn’t make sense to have three lines with separate movements and dial layouts but entirely just a guess.

That said, I will forever miss the asymmetrical layout of the ROOs of the past few decades but am looking forward to what’s in store. My SA has been able to snag me the RG 43 so here’s to hoping I can get it in the first batch in September!
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 11:14 PM   #4
GS93108
"TRF" Member

I’d heard that the 42mm is staying.

I also asked the question of a very reputable source in AP as to whether the interchangeable strap was being applied to the whole ROO range. The answer was brief, ‘not on the 44mm’. I didn’t follow up with why, but the inference could be that the 44mm is being retired.

Reign, fingers crossed for you! The 43mm rose gold is the stand out for me.
Old 21 March 2021, 12:43 AM   #5
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I really do think the slightly smaller 43 size will be great, but it will be a sad day if AP can the ROO44 as it’s an iconic and timeless design. Also, as outlined in my post in the AP New 43 Royal Oak Offshore thread, with the exception of the pushers I just don't think the overall 43 design is as good - I’d have just shrunk the current design in size a bit, whilst ‘updating’ by incorporating the new pusher design. Just my opinion of course...
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2021, 01:28 AM   #6
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
I really do think the slightly smaller 43 size will be great, but it will be a sad day if AP can the ROO44 as it’s an iconic and timeless design. Also, as outlined in my post in the AP New 43 Royal Oak Offshore thread, with the exception of the pushers I just don't think the overall 43 design is as good - I’d have just shrunk the current design in size a bit, whilst ‘updating’ by incorporating the new pusher design. Just my opinion of course...
Other than the obvious movement/dial differences, I only really see the pushers as being visually different. Of course the strap change system is cool, but not an aesthetic difference.

As always, the new design will have to be seen in person to be appreciated.
Old 21 March 2021, 01:44 AM   #7
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Other than the obvious movement/dial differences, I only really see the pushers as being visually different. Of course the strap change system is cool, but not an aesthetic difference.

As always, the new design will have to be seen in person to be appreciated.
I don't see the dial being an "other than", as it is the major and significant visual change. The movement, if honest, I personally care less about. The pushers actually don't look that different really, they've just been finessed in a very positive way.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2021, 02:50 AM   #8
GS93108
"TRF" Member

From the robbreport, when talking about the titanium tourb:

“The new 43 mm titanium case not only marks a new generation of Royal Oak Offshores, but also introduces curvature elements for a different look on the wrist. While it has larger polished chamfers on the edges, the bezel, glare-proof sapphire crystal, screw-locked crown and chronograph pushers have all been curved.”

These are big evolutions, thus to me it definitely signals the end of the 44mm.
Old 22 March 2021, 03:07 AM   #9
edo
"TRF" Member

Speaking of case design every big sport watch can take notes from Richard Mille and the back side curve that makes it sit great even on the small wrists.

AP missed that big time with the Concept line. They get it better with last models but it is still far far behind RM...

Problem with RM is that is common to see it on sub 6 wrists and then there is no product design that helps to look right...
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2021, 05:07 AM   #10
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
Problem with RM is that is common to see it on sub 6 wrists and then there is no product design that helps to look right...
Agreed, RM wrist shots look awful 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2021, 05:24 AM   #11
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Agreed, RM wrist shots look awful 90% of the time.

Yep. I’ve toyed with the idea of a 67-02 but don’t think even that would look right on my wrist size. Offshores are different in that they are designed to wear big, so i think can suit a smaller wrist. Albeit, not sure I’m prepared to go above 42mm.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2021, 05:40 AM   #12
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Yep. I’ve toyed with the idea of a 67-02 but don’t think even that would look right on my wrist size. Offshores are different in that they are designed to wear big, so i think can suit a smaller wrist. Albeit, not sure I’m prepared to go above 42mm.

RMs are also designed to wear big...

67-02 will wear great on your wrist, and all old school RMs up to 010 and 055, 035 wears much better on smaller wrists than 42 Offshore...

You will be surprised even how 011 sits on smaller wrists... ok, the watch is big and tall and can't look small no matter of the wrist size, but overall design and execution of the backside make it comfortable on wrists from 6.5' up...

Problem is that on social media we look at RMs on 6 and even smaller wrists too often...
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2021, 05:43 AM   #13
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
By contrast it’s very rare that you see a really bad AP wrist shot.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2021, 06:38 AM   #14
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
By contrast it’s very rare that you see a really bad AP wrist shot.

Main issue is the fisheye effect and making them look too large for your wrist when in reality they wear just right and within the edges of your wrist. Puts alot of people off the ROOs when they could probably pull it off in reality.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 12:19 AM   #15
GS93108
"TRF" Member

The official line is that 44mm is done.

Also, the 43mm quick release straps can’t be retro fitted to the 44mm.

However, plots, buckle and folding clasp retro fitting will be available for older diver models, simply because the case hasn’t changed.
Old 23 March 2021, 01:54 AM   #16
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
The official line is that 44mm is done.

Also, the 43mm quick release straps can’t be retro fitted to the 44mm.

However, plots, buckle and folding clasp retro fitting will be available for older diver models, simply because the case hasn’t changed.
Thanks for The update Gary
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 02:04 AM   #17
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

I spoke with my SA and expressed my interest in the 43mm and he said to me that once most of the remaining 44mm are gone they'll then be getting in the 43mm...so to me that means yes, the 44mm are on the way out and being replaced by the 43mm.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote