The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 10 January 2024, 11:19 AM   #31
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I don't understand how my cars has anything to do with spend history at AP?
The point of rattling off those allocations was to prove a point where I didn't have the SPEND history you speak of with AP in the beginning. You think I'm the only one that walked into that boutique with nice cars in their garage? Listen to yourself....
You just substantiated Watchman124’s point. Your spend would put you in the top echelon… and such a spend is even more impressive in such a short amount of time. Your cars matter because it’s another input into the SA sizing you up and getting to your customer lifetime value. Your spend in such a short amount of time also goes to this aforementioned point.

It’s a business at the end of the day - cash is king and I’m sure big spenders have a lot more leeway. Of course there are fringe cases, but cmon. They dangle the carrot and know what they’re doing. Pay to play unfortunately.
Old 10 January 2024, 11:24 AM   #32
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
Makes me wonder when they’re going to do a ceramic code. That could be cool!!
The flying buttress lugs would be difficult to do in ceramic.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 11:34 AM   #33
noobs
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your 6
Quote:
I dont consider myself a VIP with AP. I think we use that term loosely. Too many real VIP's with 7 figure spending histories
山还比一山高

you're a VIP, to me lol
noobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 11:55 AM   #34
HMHM
"TRF" Member

The fact of the matter is spend history is highly important. No money no honey!
However, up to a certain threshold the difference in spend becomes more negligible as you go up the ladder. A guy who spends 1 million is certainly valued more by the brand versus a guy who bought 1 watch. Let’s not kid ourselves. But up to a certain point, you are practically part of the brand’s esteemed customer and personal relationship/attitude/communication matters more from there. An asshole who spent 5million may not get the first piece released, while another guy with 2m total spend history may instead get the first call. So while money helps, it can only help one go so far. interpersonal relationship and attitude also play a huge role.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 12:09 PM   #35
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
You just substantiated Watchman124’s point. Your spend would put you in the top echelon… and such a spend is even more impressive in such a short amount of time. Your cars matter because it’s another input into the SA sizing you up and getting to your customer lifetime value. Your spend in such a short amount of time also goes to this aforementioned point.

It’s a business at the end of the day - cash is king and I’m sure big spenders have a lot more leeway. Of course there are fringe cases, but cmon. They dangle the carrot and know what they’re doing. Pay to play unfortunately.
I guess I'm not effectively articulating the point I'm trying to make. All good, moving on. @HMHM has done a much better job at describing the point I was trying to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
However, up to a certain threshold the difference in spend becomes more negligible as you go up the ladder. A guy who spends 1 million is certainly valued more by the brand versus a guy who bought 1 watch. Let’s not kid ourselves. But up to a certain point, you are practically part of the brand’s esteemed customer and personal relationship/attitude/communication matters more from there. An asshole who spent 5million may not get the first piece released, while another guy with 2m total spend history may instead get the first call. So while money helps, it can only help one go so far. interpersonal relationship and attitude also play a huge role.

Well put. This is what I was trying to get across.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 12:11 PM   #36
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

I mean they definitely size you up on spending potential. Got treated VASTLY different when I wore my 5131, tried on everything, they brought over the store manager. They couldn't shoo me away fast enough when I wore my MAD1, they had no idea what it was.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 12:59 PM   #37
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
Makes me wonder when they’re going to do a ceramic code. That could be cool!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the skeletonized lugs are welded onto the case so I'd image it would be VERY difficult to make a full ceramic code case....and why AP chose to just do a ceramic mid case in many of the code models

but if they can figure it out, that would be extremely dope....but I would be very skeptical of the durability of the ceramic lugs...one bump and it might fall of your wrist
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 02:03 PM   #38
GTS-R
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
I think the chance of this and winning PowerBall is pretty comparable
Thanks, that’s what I feared. I suppose I’ll just get one through gray market when the time is right.
GTS-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 02:15 PM   #39
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I guess I'm not effectively articulating the point I'm trying to make. All good, moving on. @HMHM has done a much better job at describing the point I was trying to make.

Well put. This is what I was trying to get across.
I get you desired point. Spend is primary, but relationships can be the difference maker. I wholeheartedly believe that.
Old 10 January 2024, 02:25 PM   #40
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
I get you desired point. Spend is primary, but relationships can be the difference maker. I wholeheartedly believe that.

Agree.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Old 10 January 2024, 04:07 PM   #41
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Very well explained about the whole scenario
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 04:20 PM   #42
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS-R View Post
Any chance of ever getting a ceramic anything as a second watch?

I posted this last year, but will share again:

I introduced my buddy to AP in HK.

His first watch was the 26240 Blue dial, his second the 26240 ceramic!

I only got my CE as my 11th or 12th watch!

Now, he did walk in wearing the Tiffany Nautilus, and his is a “big boy” in HK.

My point is he, even though I brought him in, he was instantly a VVIP based on who he is and I assume expected spend. And he is a terrific and nice guy.

Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 05:23 PM   #43
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

In today's watch environment (and even more so for the last 3 years), when you're new and you have no spend history. Spend history can not count. That's when it really matters that you can show that you are passionate about watches, have the means not to be a flipper (sorry-I think the ferraris do matter in the equation!) and you are someone who fits the profile of someone they want wearing their watches ('representing the brand'). It's a bit of what mickyd is trying to articulate, he managed to build up his collection from nothing in two years, probably because he has been able to demonstrate that. This is the path to get to the spend history which factors into the previous criteria to say OK he/she gets a 16202.

The other path, which no longer exists is people who have been spending for a long time before 2019. If you've been spending before 2019 (and still have the bulk of your collection), you have shown you are passionate, willing to take a loss and probably not a flipper.

I don't think this criteria is unique to AP, PP is the same from my experience. I think PP however puts less of an emphasis on the 'represent the brand' portion though. AP seem to be more picky about this, which is why it's also a bit more of a polarising brand.

My 2 cents.
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 06:06 PM   #44
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_chissle View Post
In today's watch environment (and even more so for the last 3 years), when you're new and you have no spend history. Spend history can not count. That's when it really matters that you can show that you are passionate about watches, have the means not to be a flipper (sorry-I think the ferraris do matter in the equation!) and you are someone who fits the profile of someone they want wearing their watches ('representing the brand'). It's a bit of what mickyd is trying to articulate, he managed to build up his collection from nothing in two years, probably because he has been able to demonstrate that. This is the path to get to the spend history which factors into the previous criteria to say OK he/she gets a 16202.

The other path, which no longer exists is people who have been spending for a long time before 2019. If you've been spending before 2019 (and still have the bulk of your collection), you have shown you are passionate, willing to take a loss and probably not a flipper.

I don't think this criteria is unique to AP, PP is the same from my experience. I think PP however puts less of an emphasis on the 'represent the brand' portion though. AP seem to be more picky about this, which is why it's also a bit more of a polarising brand.

My 2 cents.

I agree with your points Chris. Conveying your passion for the brand to the AP staff and proving to them you're not a flipper was the biggest hurdle in the past 3 years IMO. I did start collecting AP's about 4 years prior to starting with my boutique. So, this is way before the COVID craze. I did have 3 ROO's and 1 ROC in my collection at the time. At that time the boutique was a JV boutique. Almost all pieces could be had in the grey market for 20-25% below MSRP back in those days. But knowing AP was going to a boutique only model, I made the decision to give up the discounts and start the relationship as AP was a brand I planned on collecting for a long time.

The allocations didn't really start flowing until they became a corporate boutique a few years ago. I initially did turn down pieces that were offered that I could've easily flipped for at least double the purchase price. They already knew I was passionate about the brand, but turning down RO allocations because of it being the wrong dial color really cemented the fact that I was not in it for investment with them. Once we got that hurdle out of the way, I started getting the pieces I requested. Again, my spend history was not what got allocations of sought after pieces coming my way. It was my passion for the brand, the collecting history with AP, and the trust I was able to build with my SA.

I don't discount spend history as being a big factor to become a VIP client, of course it does. I just think it's a two pronged approach where a combination of spend and relationship is key in getting there, not spend history by itself.
Old 10 January 2024, 11:43 PM   #45
PP&AP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15407
I think many are discounting the relationship side of things a bit too much. Yes, it’s a business and spend history is obviously going to be a primary driver of status, but building that relationship is also important. Thankfully, I am now in a good position on both sides, getting nice allocations and hosted on trips. However, I initially didn’t get anywhere with an SA for a long time, changed SA’s and we hit it off, then allocations started coming just a couple months later. There was no social media presence to help and no other expensive hobbies to show potential, so it was initially just on the relationship and then spend history builds over time.
Old 11 January 2024, 03:44 AM   #46
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
I see myself as an AP VIP client!

Unfortunately AP has yet to realise this

"One day Rodney, we'll be millionaires"
GW44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 05:30 AM   #47
Palex
"TRF" Member

I agree with both Reign and watchman. Relation and future spendings. Both important.

But have to say, it is really nice to have a good relationship. Not just for allocations, but it gives the hobby more pleasure and fun imo. Nice to talk about watches, share the passion for the brand.
Palex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 07:28 AM   #48
APman3000
"TRF" Member

While I agree with the general sentiment that both spend and relationship are hugely important, I'll add a third factor: your boutique itself. I wish I had a corporate-owned boutique in my city. Instead, I have a JV-owned boutique that leaves a lot to be desired. If you want to be a preferred client with them, you need to be a celebrity, athlete, influencer or spend a lot of money on jewelry or preowned watches directly from the JV partner. And they make no qualms about making it clear that is how they operate, but it's disheartening to see and read about how they treat customers who genuinely love the brand.
APman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 08:36 AM   #49
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
"One day Rodney, we'll be millionaires"

I see your Fools and Horses and raise you the "we're not drunks, we're multimillionaires"

messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 10:49 AM   #50
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
I see your Fools and Horses and raise you the "we're not drunks, we're multimillionaires"

Touché sir
GW44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 03:03 AM   #51
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

Interesting conversation guys.

I’m with Mickey on this. Spent history is less relevant than you think. After all, people allocates watches, not algorithms. The only thing that matters is your connection with your SA. This applies to everything across all business sectors and my personal life.

I only own one AP, it’s the 50th jumbo in steel, allocated. It’s the only watch I wanted from AP. Nothing else. You see, I have a flat wrist and watches over 40mm don’t like me.

There were no purchase history, no prior spending, no event invite. Im aware, I’m an outlier. This brings me back to my point, simply marry your SA and you’ll be ok.

JettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 03:15 AM   #52
Whichwwtch
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/RM
I’m laughing. That was good. I think you actually married your SA? ������

You all earned all your allocations. My story is similar, bought some more expensive pieces of theirs, got some more desirable ones as well. I am also clear what they want…and that is our money…not our friendship.
Whichwwtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 07:28 AM   #53
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Probably to summarise all inputs put forth, to be considered a preferred client, the basic of all businesses is the same. Boutiques shd be looking at how much you've spent or minimally, forecast the client's future spendings based on the his/her profile such as occupation or financial standing.

After this basic profiling, next in line is probably your interest in this hobby, especially the brand in particular. Another factor might be how diversified are you in your AP collection in order to flag out a high risk flipper. Of course, probably influencers/celebrities will skip all of the above screening.
Old 14 January 2024, 05:05 AM   #54
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

I only have one 16202 but I think it is spending history and "chemistry".
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 08:14 AM   #55
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

as much as passion and excitement for the brand matter, i guess the point of my post was try wearing a seiko captain willard sla033 and see how many allocations you get. it's like driving into a porsche dealership in a corolla, doubt many salespeople will take you seriously if they dont know you have a grandmaster chime and veyron at home. it's silly but i feel like i do have to wear my nicer watches when trying to shop for a watch to be taken seriously.
Old 14 January 2024, 11:01 AM   #56
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
as much as passion and excitement for the brand matter, i guess the point of my post was try wearing a seiko captain willard sla033 and see how many allocations you get. it's like driving into a porsche dealership in a corolla, doubt many salespeople will take you seriously if they dont know you have a grandmaster chime and veyron at home. it's silly but i feel like i do have to wear my nicer watches when trying to shop for a watch to be taken seriously.
I don't know - seems to me they are amused when I show up with a CasiOak or Moonswatch.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 11:34 AM   #57
value.target
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettyOne View Post

I’m with Mickey on this. Spent history is less relevant than you think. After all, people allocates watches, not algorithms. The only thing that matters is your connection with your SA. This applies to everything across all business sectors and my personal life.

I only own one AP, it’s the 50th jumbo in steel, allocated. It’s the only watch I wanted from AP. Nothing else. You see, I have a flat wrist and watches over 40mm don’t like me.

There were no purchase history, no prior spending, no event invite. Im aware, I’m an outlier. This brings me back to my point, simply marry your SA and you’ll be ok.

How long did you wait after you expressed your interest on the Jumbo?

Big congratulations to you!
value.target is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 12:02 PM   #58
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
I don't know - seems to me they are amused when I show up with a CasiOak or Moonswatch.
Seeing your sig they already know you very well....a bit disingenuous
Old 14 January 2024, 12:05 PM   #59
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Seeing your sig they already know you very well....a bit disingenuous
Literally my thought. Lol you could wear a tank top and flip flops
Old 14 January 2024, 02:00 PM   #60
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettyOne View Post

You must be either very charismatic or very lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
I only have one 16202 but I think it is spending history and "chemistry".
In your case, I don't see any spend history. Only "chemistry" and loads of luck