The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2018, 03:28 AM   #181
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza_actual View Post
A Coke can sparkles in the sun too—that doesn’t make it flashy. A Datejust is basically the epitome of conservative styling as well; something I’d consider an “old man’s “ watch.
A 16710 coke doesn't sparkle as much as a new DJ since it's all brushed.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 05:24 AM   #182
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
A 16710 coke doesn't sparkle as much as a new DJ since it's all brushed.

Old 24 May 2018, 05:59 AM   #183
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza_actual View Post
People do love to claim that Rolex is losing their tool watch ways—which is at extreme odds with the pure fact that Rolex watches are more capable, more durable, and more accurate than ever before.
Look at the packaging, these watches were designed for a job. The new stuff is bland and lacks that spirt that WAS Rolex. It’s jewelry now, they put a cyclops on the SD, I’m sure that wasn’t a request from COMEX

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 06:06 AM   #184
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

The biggest problem with Rolex, is not Rolex - but the people wearing them.

"What is a good investment piece?"
"OMG, I have a ding in my clasp. What to do?"

And so on - and the same people complain that Rolex do not make tool watches anymore. That's BS, because it's the people wearing the Rolex watches that has partly stopped using the watches as tools...
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 06:21 AM   #185
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

And so on - and the same people complain that Rolex do not make tool watches anymore. That's BS, because it's the people wearing the Rolex watches that has partly stopped using the watches as tools...
In this brave new world I think just using your watch to tell the time and leaving your damn cell phone at home for a few hours makes you a hero.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 11:15 AM   #186
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I realize this thread is over two years old however, after receiving an email today in which the AD relayed that they cannot take orders for the new CHNR and that they were instructed to hand them out to their customers with the same judicial care as they do the Daytonas, it really makes me wonder about the company and whether or not I should call my collection complete and leave it at that.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 11:20 AM   #187
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
This is exactly why I have several brands in my collection. When I get tired of something I rotate. Tastes change - it happens and sometimes it's a good thing!!

I went on about a year and a half stint where I didn't put a Rolex on my wrist and stuck with other brands -- and I'm ok with that. Anything can become stale overtime.

Just my .02
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 11:25 AM   #188
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

I’m getting tired of all the Rolex games! It’s not the same anymore.
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 11:30 AM   #189
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFox View Post
I believe that 15-20 years from now the current ceramic models will largely be viewed as the greatest Rolex watches ever made. They’re built to last. The ceramic bezel will ensure that your watch looks the same in 20 years as it did the date of your purchase. No fades, no scratches, cant speak to the bracelet as scratches are inevitable on all bracelets, however, the face of your watch wont change much in appearance.
I agree. In much the same way, some cars with its own cult following perceive the newer models tonhave lost its soul (Jeep JK Rubicon). Owning one since 2011 I found it quite durable and easy to live with, even quite fun to drive. With an all new model, perhaps the discontinued model will be more accepted by purists to be a proper Jeep after all.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 11:40 AM   #190
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFox View Post
I believe that 15-20 years from now the current ceramic models will largely be viewed as the greatest Rolex watches ever made. They’re built to last. The ceramic bezel will ensure that your watch looks the same in 20 years as it did the date of your purchase. No fades, no scratches, cant speak to the bracelet as scratches are inevitable on all bracelets, however, the face of your watch wont change much in appearance.
I think what draws people to the vintage side is the faded dials and bezels, it’s the patina. A perfect 20 yr old ceramic Rolex sounds pretty boring to me.

And no way any of the new plastic covered jeeps will be as cool as a CJ7 IMO, the same with most new cars, I grew up in the wrong time.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 03:41 PM   #191
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Rolex watches stopped being tools during the quartz crisis. After trying to make use of the technology with the OQ, they pivoted towards the luxury brand they are today.

Not being pure tools anymore doesn't change the fact that modern Rolex products are undeniably technically better mechanical watches than their vintage counterparts. We all love mechanical watches so aside from aesthetic preferences, I don't see much to complain about with the company's current direction in terms of product.
PJitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:24 PM   #192
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

Good points.
Oscarpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:33 PM   #193
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJitz View Post
Rolex watches stopped being tools during the quartz crisis. After trying to make use of the technology with the OQ, they pivoted towards the luxury brand they are today.

Not being pure tools anymore doesn't change the fact that modern Rolex products are undeniably technically better mechanical watches than their vintage counterparts. We all love mechanical watches so aside from aesthetic preferences, I don't see much to complain about with the company's current direction in terms of product.
I think your analysis of Rolex's transition to luxury watch maker is spot on, however some of us just preferred the understated tool watch look to the current blingy shiny jewellery iteration.
Oscarpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 04:59 PM   #194
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I think there is a lot of "drama" associated with owning luxury watches. Cost, maintenance, insurance, security, etc. It gets tiresome and for me, the upside isn't really worth it. I bought my Sub when prices were relatively very reasonable, discount of about 20% and service costs of $300 or less. I would never pay today's prices, in spite of being able to without serious impact. I get as much fun out of some $200 watches as my Rolex.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote