The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2018, 08:47 AM   #1
mike.k
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 14060m
Avoid Kerns (Rolex AD) in Burlingame, CA

In December 2012, I purchased a pre-owned ceramic Rolex Submariner from Kerns in Burlingame, CA which is a Rolex Authorized Dealer. This was my first luxury timepiece, and I was happy that it came with the box and papers (e.g., certificate).

Recently, I decided to sell the watch and to only find out that the serial number on the certificate did not align with the serial number on the rehaut of the watch. This was beyond disappointing. I cannot believe this happened since this was the only pre-owned submariner Kerns had in stock at the time.

Today, I went back to Kerns (with my paperwork) and explained the problem. First, they assured me that the watch they sold me was genuine. I informed them that was not my point. My point was they sold me a watch with paperwork that did not match. They then stated it must have been an oversight on their part. You think??? They offered me to bring the watch in and they could validate the watch was genuine then provide me with paperwork from Kerns. I informed them that was not helpful, as people do not what Kerns paperwork, they want the appropriate Rolex certificate that came with the watch. As they were trying to appease me with a solution that was not going to work, they also didn’t offer to compensate me either.

I knew I was sol. So, I took the high road and informed them that when someone who comes into a Rolex Authorized Dealer (i.e., Kerns), the person expects that the business to have integrity by checking all aspects of the watch and paperwork before selling the product. If something goes wrong (like in my case), then their brand will not be trusted. This is where I stand. I cannot trust Kerns. I felt they tried to pivot the matter by informing me that the watch was genuine. They should have fessed up right away of their screw up and perhaps offered me some form of compensation. Instead, I walked out of Kerns in disgust.

Based on my today’s interactions with Kerns, I will never do business with them again and highly recommend you do not as well.

Thanks for reading,

Mike K
mike.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 08:52 AM   #2
SWISSAHOLICS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Mike, I understand your disappointment but 6 years later, what type of compensation are you expecting?

"The one thing I fear most is time; time waits for no one and leaves no options."
SWISSAHOLICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 08:57 AM   #3
xspect
"TRF" Member

Why not let kerns validate and provide paperwork since they are a AD. That seems a lot better than having paperwork that doesnt match the watch.
xspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:06 AM   #4
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by xspect View Post
Why not let kerns validate and provide paperwork since they are a AD. That seems a lot better than having paperwork that doesnt match the watch.
Those ‘papers’ wouldn’t be worth the paper they are written on.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:09 AM   #5
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Those ‘papers’ wouldn’t be worth the paper they are written on.
Wouldnt they be worth more than he has now (ie mismatching watch and papers...and thats it)?
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:09 AM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I'd be kicking myself for not checking that the numbers matched.
Old 24 May 2018, 09:12 AM   #7
anksagr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
OP the best course of action at this time would be to send the watch to RSC for servicing as it is 6 years old anyways and you would get the paperwork from RSC
anksagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:13 AM   #8
deltabravo786
Banned

If majority of the blame falls on them, a small percent also falls on you. As a buyer you should have also done your due diligence but I'm sorry you have to go through this situation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
deltabravo786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:14 AM   #9
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

They should help you sell it at no cost to you. They can provide the new owner with authentication paperwork from their establishment.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:14 AM   #10
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
I’m not sure what you’re expecting for compensation. The fact that the store is an AD I would think that their piece of paper is good...not as good as original Rolex papers but better than mismatched papers.

If we were talking about a 50 year old watch maybe this would be different and there would be cause for financial reparations. But a ceramic sub?

I think the AD did the right thing by offering store papers, and the blame lies somewhere between the AD and the OP for not doing their due diligence. As Expat said, I’d be kicking myself pretty hard for missing this too.
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:20 AM   #11
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

I feel for you. I just had a horrible CA based AD experience yesterday as well. (Made a post about it.) Its a real shame because the whole point of buying through an AD is the expectation that your purchase is 100% legitimate and protected. When something like this happens, theres a definite feeling of hopelessness, and that you have no recourse. I know that if I ever decide to purchase another Rolex, I will go through the trusted sellers here. My experience with them has been leaps and bounds better than the shameful AD that I bought from. And I'm confident that if a similar issue did arise, the trusted seller would do way more to make it right.

I'm sorry that I dont have greater words of wisdom/advice. Just know that you aren't alone in your frustration, and at the end of the day remember that it is just a watch, and there are far more important things in life. Hope you somehow get this sorted out.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:24 AM   #12
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISSAHOLICS View Post
Mike, I understand your disappointment but 6 years later, what type of compensation are you expecting?
X2

Flip the script and look at it from their POV, you could easily be a scammer trying to pull something over on them. Even 6 weeks is too long in a situation like this, and you’re talking about compensation after 6 YEARS?

Not insinuating the above is you, but I don’t see how you could have seen the dealer look at this in any other way. I also think your thread title is overboard. No other dealer would appease you and ‘compensate’ you after this long my friend. It’s after 2 year’s anyways, as that’s the only warranty you had. Send it into RSC and you’ll have a fresh service and paperwork to match, will hardly affect your sale price
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:29 AM   #13
mike.k
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 14060m
Thanks for responding back! The person that's buying my watch has deducted $100 for not having the appropriate certificate. Personally speaking, I could care less if Kerns gave me the $100. I'm just disappointed they sold me the watch with another watches certificate. I didn't know any better about serial numbers...I was new to watches and trusted them since they were a Rolex AD. Based on how I was treated today, I will not do business with them again.
mike.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:33 AM   #14
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.k View Post
Thanks for responding back! The person that's buying my watch has deducted $100 for not having the appropriate certificate. Personally speaking, I could care less if Kerns gave me the $100. I'm just disappointed they sold me the watch with another watches certificate. I didn't know any better about serial numbers...I was new to watches and trusted them since they were a Rolex AD. Based on how I was treated today, I will not do business with them again.
It’s a tough $100 lesson, but you’re now a smarte rwatch buyer because of it. Try to simply move on and not let this hamper you from the brand and/or other reputable ADs! All in all, that’s a tiny fraction of the price you probably got, so you came out pretty swell.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:38 AM   #15
2024 Pledge Member

It sounds like the outcome was as expected given the time lapse in not noticing the issue.

If all you lost was $100 off your selling price and a bit of frustration, I'd write that off as lucky and enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 09:59 AM   #16
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
It sounds like the outcome was as expected given the time lapse in not noticing the issue.

If all you lost was $100 off your selling price and a bit of frustration, I'd write that off as lucky and enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.
Agree. $100 loss is barely worth easing energy over. Lesson learned though. Glad it’s cover. Shame on the AD for selling it that way. However after 6 years I do feel the burden is on the buyer at that point.
Old 24 May 2018, 10:00 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'm on the OP's side, no one but us lot checks these things and predatory ADs take advantage and should not get a pass. They are an AD not Ebay.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 10:13 AM   #18
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Some else has the exact same problem - they got your papers with their watch
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 10:52 AM   #19
LuxWatch
"TRF" Member

I don't know what kind of compensation you were expecting here. Kern's has been in Burlingame a long time and have long been part of the community there. They have some of the most fabulous watches on the Peninsula. They aren't going away any time soon. I would have thought they would have gone to their records as soon as you reported the discrepancy.
LuxWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 10:53 AM   #20
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
You do realize that you bear some responsibility in this situation? Obviously complacency got the best of you. Being a large purchase, you as the consumer should have validated the warranty card matched the serial number on the watch case. Now 6 years later after the fact? Sorry. Chalk it up to a lesson learned on your part.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 10:55 AM   #21
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy1966 View Post
Some else has the exact same problem - they got your papers with their watch
Too bad it wasn't caught earlier. Then they could have swapped paperwork. If it was a brand new watch, I think the ad should do more. But for a used watch six years after the fact, not really sure what else fee dealer could have done?
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 10:57 AM   #22
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Good lesson learned. Check serials.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 11:07 AM   #23
MonsterSS
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
Good lesson learned. Check serials.
Yep. I wouldn’t of thought about that but I will start checking now!
MonsterSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 11:12 AM   #24
JWSubC1911
Banned

While the OP can be viewed as making the mistake of not personally validating the serial on his watch to the warranty card at the time of purchase the truth is only a watch nerd would think to do this.

The average consumer wouldn’t even know that they should do this, or where the serial number on their watch is located or that it even has one for that matter.

The AD must ensure the transaction is completed with accuracy, they are the professionals. If they’re capable of making this error what other problems are they capable of? I wouldn’t buy from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JWSubC1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 11:27 AM   #25
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 11:34 AM   #26
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

I find that any post titled "Avoid [so-and-so retailer]" from someone who isn't a trusted member of this community just makes me want to stick up for the store. We're only getting one side of the issue, here. It might be exactly as the Op describes, or it might not.

But in this case, even if it's exactly as the Op describes, I don't have a lot of sympathy. As far as I can tell, they offered him the only thing they possibly could (their own paperwork), and he didn't accept it. It sure sounds like they tried to reassure him that the watch was genuine because they thought that might be his concern, and not because they were trying to hide anything or swindle him. His own account has them immediately admitting fault.

In fact, the Op never mentions actually asking them for anything. He relates the problem, they admit fault and offer store paperwork, he rejects it, and he leaves.

This is a lot of venom for what seems like a reasonable exchange with the store.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 11:53 AM   #27
RollieRoll
Banned

It's an AD, so it is absolutely reasonable as foreseeable for the OP not to check whether the papers match up with the cereal on the watch. That's the whole point of buying from an AD. Absolute peace of mind.
RollieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 12:00 PM   #28
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxWatch View Post
I don't know what kind of compensation you were expecting here. Kern's has been in Burlingame a long time and have long been part of the community there. They have some of the most fabulous watches on the Peninsula. They aren't going away any time soon. I would have thought they would have gone to their records as soon as you reported the discrepancy.
How long have you worked there?

Do you do a Price Is Right voice?
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 12:39 PM   #29
westsideclock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabravo786 View Post
If majority of the blame falls on them, a small percent also falls on you. As a buyer you should have also done your due diligence but I'm sorry you have to go through this situation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I don't necessarily agree that he is partially to blame. They are an AD and there should be no way that the papers should be wrong whether new or used. The fact is, he was sold a preowned with box and papers. That being said, if you only lost $100 on a sale, you are pretty lucky
westsideclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 12:47 PM   #30
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I live 10 miles away. Never heard of em.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote